GA - Apalachee High School shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured, Winder, Barrow County - 04 September 2024 *father and son arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am sickened by how these events are turned into attention-grabbing news, with reporters interviewing students just a short time after such a traumatizing event. These are children who cannot give consent to being interviewed at this time, in my opinion. I am a teacher. I struggle every year with continuing in my profession of over 30 years because of this very thing. I cannot keep my students truly safe, no matter what I do. Teachers/staff and students at this school are all forever changed, and some have lost their lives or are severely physically injured, while hundreds and hundreds will forever have mental scars from this day.
100% agree. Schools need TSA level security measures. This has to be stopped, we have had enough!

Depends on what you are hunting. Semi automatic is just a repeating rifle, one that auto reloads the next round after a shot. You still have to release the trigger and pull the trigger again to get that round to fire. One round per trigger pull, but the next round auto loads. Remington makes semi automatic shotguns.

An AR 15 is a great varmint gun, but most are a little small on caliber and accuracy for hunting large animals. Maybe rabbits and such. They have a bad rap in general because they look like automatic weapons (which imo no one actually needs outside of war or a stampede coming at you), but a Winchester 308 is far more accurate and deadly. The bad thing about an ar15 is that it can be broken down and hidden easier and that, again imo, is a reason you hear about them in shootings. Someone would notice a person carrying a 308. An AR 15 will fit in a backpack.
In a earlier post, I believed the shooter used an aK-47, I believe now that I was mistaken, if it was an AR 15. Either way, an automatic rifle can fire multiple rounds per minute, causing many casualties before someone can intervene.

Never understood why phones were ever allowed in the classroom or workplace, it’s just not necessary.
I don’t think phones belong in the classroom, period.

Jmo
IME previous working in school administration…when/if schools try to enact no phones policies, parents throw a fit and get very vocal. Phones are a very hot button especially after shootings (parents want them to communicate in an emergency).

IME previous working in school administration…when/if schools try to enact no phones policies, parents throw a fit and get very vocal. Phones are a very hot button especially after shootings (parents want them to communicate in an emergency).
In an emergency like this case I think it's best for students to listen to instructions given by teachers and school staff on what to do or not do.

Having every student talking to upset parents is not conducive to doing that. JMO.

In an emergency like this case I think it's best for students to listen to instructions given by teachers and school staff on what to do or not do.

Having every student talking to upset parents is not conducive to doing that. JMO.

I find it difficult to be passionate about an anti-phone policy when texting or calling parents is literally the last thing a kid may be able to do.

MOO

In a earlier post, I believed the shooter used an aK-47, I believe now that I was mistaken, if it was an AR 15. Either way, an automatic rifle can fire multiple rounds per minute, causing many casualties before someone can intervene.
Right. There is a MAJOR difference between a semi automatic and automatic. Because certain semi automatics look a lot like an automatic, people don't realize they are NOT the same, are not intended to be used for the same things. IMO, an automatic has one purpose: to shoot as many rounds in whatever direction it is pointing as fast as it will allow. Mainly to kill as many armed people coming at you as possible or shoot up/destroy something. Not target shooting, not single animal hunting, only self defense if you expect to be attacked by a gang of armed people intent on killing you. Not what I would call a "sportsman" gun. I say this because there are a lot of reasons a person might own a semi automatic. Very few reasons to need an automatic in every day life, though I could understand keeping one "just in case". In my world, it would be locked up unless needed. But unless you are shooting against an automatic, a semi is all you would ever need.

Point being, not unusual to have a semi automatic. Used for various things.

I'm just sorry we've gotten ourselves into such a spot where the mentally ill think it's a good idea to kill innocent children.

SBMFF. Most school shooters are not mentally ill. There's a difference between mental illness and having a mental health symptom. Not all depression is mental illness, just like not all high blood pressure is a cardiac disorder, not everyone who passes out has a neurologic disorder, not everyone who is anxious has an anxiety disorder. Depression and isolation and anger are all symptoms, not necessarily a mental illness.

MO based on my knowledge.

Speculation: will there be lawsuits coming? jmo

Article states rifle was not broken down but carried into the school in CG's backpack, however, it was obscured so it wasn't noticeable.

Supposedly, CG had some things that made it concealed.

Full article at link...

September 12, 2024 at 2:19 pm EDT

Smith said going to the office with his possessions “was not uncommon. He asked to go up front and speak to someone at the front, and when you do that you take your belongings with you, so the teacher allowed him to leave.”

Gray went to the restroom, pulled out the gun and started shooting, Smith said.

In about a minute, a school resource officer got Gray into custody, but it was enough time for four people to be killed and nine others injured.
Did the school have cameras in the halls , if so has any images been found of the shooter in the halls with his backpack?

Negligence. Did you know...there are schools in the U.S. that have a policy of clear backpacks only....so you can at least have a chance at seeing what's in 'em!

I recall canines sniffin' backpacks...all of 'em that entered the building. In a situation where there was a threat, and school opened the next day on time, armed LE presence in the lobby, dogs trained to sniff firearms/gunpowder, etc. going past a long line of backpacks.

There are answers, the question is, why do folks vehemently oppose the implementation of what is known to work?

Baffling.

Who has their phone on anything but silent anymore? I couldn’t tell you the last time I’ve heard a cell phone ring. None of my high school or young adult kids have had their ringer on for years, if ever.
I teach high school and the phones ping constantly some days. We just started a new policy where we collect cellphones at the beginning of class in an accordion folder. Some kids refuse to give them up and we're not supposed to get into a power struggle over it--but the phones need to be turned off and in their backpacks. We're supposed to get "black out bags" eventually to put them in so that they don't ping or ring anymore. Kids forget to turn the phones off so they ping from the folder; they ping from the backpacks. very annoying. When we are in lockdown (we've had two drills) it would be very bad if they were pinging.

Scroll down for some FAQ's on this case.

It is clear on this site in that it states "Colt Gray brought the gun into the school on his own. The assault-style rife could not be broken down, but Gray hid it in his backpack."

I'm very interested in what "black semi-automatic AR-15 style rifle" was used, that fit in a backpack some how concealed well enough that nobody saw it, and that could not be broken down.
And don't forget that the murderer used the ruse to go and speak to someone at the front desk/office and the teacher let him take his backpack with him.
How did the teacher/students not notice ?
Not blaming anyone, just asking.

Colt Gray rides the bus to school, bringing with him an assault-style rifle concealed in his backpack,
along with a knife, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which noted the school does not have metal detectors.

During his Algebra 1 class, Gray asked the teacher if he could go to the front office and speak to someone, the bureau said. The teacher allowed him to leave class around 9:45 a.m. and take his belongings with him
Bolding mine.

Gray, who had ridden the bus to school that morning, concealed the gun “with some sort of something that he had wrapped around, as if it was a project, a school project,” Barrow County Sheriff Jud Smith told CNN affiliate WXIA.

“Colt Gray brought the gun into the school on his own. The assault-style rife could not be broken down, but Gray hid it in his backpack,”

“The teacher allowed him to leave and take his belongings with him.

So maybe the teachers and students had no idea ?
Did CG have any classes that would've required him bringing a 'project' ?
Art class ?
Omo.

This articles says differently :

The 14-year-old shooter who confessed to killing four people last week at Apalachee High School in Georgia was allowed to leave his classroom with his belongings
before returning with a rifle in his backpack, the state Bureau of Investigation said Thursday.

Imo, the public should really know by now ?
To help prevent the next attack ?

I have strong opinions about how the media covers these crimes.
They need to stop making the shooter a celebrity, for starters.
Omo.

Last edited:
Where on earth is the money for private representation coming from? Weren't they destitute not that long ago?

MOO
Are they raising money? Who would chip in to defend Colin Gray, this prize of a father, because it would be a bad PR move.

I don't know much about guns, I only have a little experience with them. But I think it's very silly to care about exactly what type of killing tool was used or how fast it could kill. Or how many inches the barrel length is.

ANY killing tool should not be in school.
ANY killing tool should not be in the hands of a child.

It's a fallacy that TEACHers are failing us when PARENTS won't secure their guns.

One of the teachers survived:
"He said a fellow math teacher managed to put pressure on his wounds while, at the same time, managing and calming a class of 23 scared teenagers.
"He said two 14-year-old students helped the teacher pressure the wounds while she called for help."
“The images, sights, sounds, and actions are immense and will be forever etched in my memory and will take weeks, months, and even years to process,” said Phenix.

Negligence. Did you know...there are schools in the U.S. that have a policy of clear backpacks only....so you can at least have a chance at seeing what's in 'em!

I recall canines sniffin' backpacks...all of 'em that entered the building. In a situation where there was a threat, and school opened the next day on time, armed LE presence in the lobby, dogs trained to sniff firearms/gunpowder, etc. going past a long line of backpacks.

There are answers, the question is, why do folks vehemently oppose the implementation of what is known to work?

Baffling.
Negligence? Of the father? Absolutely.

I don't oppose the implementation of harsher punishments for unsecured killing tools. I don't oppose the implementation of laws requiring people to take classes and tests before they purchase a gun. I don't oppose funding schools with more mental health resources.

We had the dogs at my high school. We still had a shooting and a classmate died.

The teacher could have texted the principal, another staff member, the SRO. No action is unacceptable and a failure to perform a crucial job function... protecting all students.

Teachers have to get with the program. Protecting students safety is part of their job, administration/school boards need to hold everyone accountable. School safety is paramount !!! Empathy, complacent behavior cost lives. We see this replayed time and time again.

This school was a risk, no metal detectors, appears teachers/staff had no safety plan or failed to implement. A teacher not reporting a threat, a clear failure. A teacher leaving a door open unsecured, a clear failure. A guidance counselor going off to look for the wrong student, a clear failure.

I've yet, to see a school shooting that was NOT a direct result of staff failure to follow written policy.

Moo...

You're blaming school shootings on the staff who put their lives on the line every single day for other people's children?????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COSMO58
Back