GA - Apalachee High School shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured, Winder, Barrow County - 04 September 2024 *father and son arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The teacher could have texted the principal, another staff member, the SRO. No action is unacceptable and a failure to perform a crucial job function... protecting all students.

Teachers have to get with the program. Protecting students safety is part of their job, administration/school boards need to hold everyone accountable. School safety is paramount !!! Empathy, complacent behavior cost lives. We see this replayed time and time again.

This school was a risk, no metal detectors, appears teachers/staff had no safety plan or failed to implement. A teacher not reporting a threat, a clear failure. A teacher leaving a door open unsecured, a clear failure. A guidance counselor going off to look for the wrong student, a clear failure.

I've yet, to see a school shooting that was NOT a direct result of staff failure to follow written policy.

Moo...
Christian Covenant.

MOO

You're blaming school shootings on the staff who put their lives on the line every single day for other people's children?????
I don't think that is what he is saying. The blame goes to the shooter. Always. But there are always going to be reviews of what happened to see what can be done in the future to help either prevent the next one or minimize the harm. Teachers already have a lot on their plates as is.

And don't forget that the murderer used the ruse to go and speak to someone at the front desk/office and the teacher let him take his backpack with him.
How did the teacher/students not notice ?
Not blaming anyone, just asking.

Colt Gray rides the bus to school, bringing with him an assault-style rifle concealed in his backpack,
along with a knife, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which noted the school does not have metal detectors.

During his Algebra 1 class, Gray asked the teacher if he could go to the front office and speak to someone, the bureau said. The teacher allowed him to leave class around 9:45 a.m. and take his belongings with him
Bolding mine.

Gray, who had ridden the bus to school that morning, concealed the gun “with some sort of something that he had wrapped around, as if it was a project, a school project,” Barrow County Sheriff Jud Smith told CNN affiliate WXIA.

“Colt Gray brought the gun into the school on his own. The assault-style rife could not be broken down, but Gray hid it in his backpack,”

“The teacher allowed him to leave and take his belongings with him.

So maybe the teachers and students had no idea ?
Did CG have any classes that would've required him bringing a 'project' ?
Art class ?
Omo.

This articles says differently :

The 14-year-old shooter who confessed to killing four people last week at Apalachee High School in Georgia was allowed to leave his classroom with his belongings
before returning with a rifle in his backpack, the state Bureau of Investigation said Thursday.

Imo, the public should really know by now ?
To help prevent the next attack ?

I have strong opinions about how the media covers these crimes.
They need to stop making the shooter a celebrity, for starters.
Omo.
Just to the point about his backpack, I suspect he rid himself of his weapon once he was in school. And by 'rid', I mean 'stashed'.

No doubt the teacher let him take his bag in the event he didn't return to class before period's end. (I guess I don't know whether it was a contained classroom or if students circulated between classes.)

Tragic, tragic, tragic he had access to an unsecured weapon. Without one, he's a danger in his head and to himself, but nobody will die by gunfire.

JMO

Just to the point about his backpack, I suspect he rid himself of his weapon once he was in school. And by 'rid', I mean 'stashed'.

No doubt the teacher let him take his bag in the event he didn't return to class before period's end. (I guess I don't know whether it was a contained classroom or if students circulated between classes.)

Tragic, tragic, tragic he had access to an unsecured weapon. Without one, he's a danger in his head and to himself, but nobody will die by gunfire.

JMO
I wondered about this as well. That he didn't have the gun in the classroom but had stashed it somewhere after arriving at school. Otherwise, why would he leave. He could have just pulled it out and started shooting there. But he left and then came back to the classroom and tried to enter.

I wondered about this as well. That he didn't have the gun in the classroom but had stashed it somewhere after arriving at school. Otherwise, why would he leave. He could have just pulled it out and started shooting there. But he left and then came back to the classroom and tried to enter.
Or he had it wrapped in something, disguised as a “school project” and it needed to be unwrapped.

Negligence? Of the father? Absolutely.

I don't oppose the implementation of harsher punishments for unsecured killing tools. I don't oppose the implementation of laws requiring people to take classes and tests before they purchase a gun. I don't oppose funding schools with more mental health resources.

We had the dogs at my high school. We still had a shooting and a classmate died.
I bolded a part of your reply here....as it shows the negligence piece in perfect manner. The negligence is in a school district NOT putting in place secure procedures to prevent firearms from entering their school buildings. If we want secure school buildings, we don't have to look far to find out how a building is made secure. Of course, in life, there is no guarantee of safety, but look to the courthouses, federal buildings, TSA/airlines, and of course, many schools already in the U.S. to find out what is needed to provide for a secure building.

If a school district knows a bus has a mechanical issue that could cause an accident and the lives of students, and they fail to correct the issue with the bus, and there is an accident that costs the lives of innocents on the bus, that's negligence. It's the same with shootings. Schools know there is an issue where firearms and weapons can, and do, enter buildings, yet they refuse to correct the issue. In my opinion, that's negligence.

• Apalachee High School in Winder marks two weeks since deadly shooting.
  • Following the shooting, a wave of threats in Georgia schools have occurred, with Cobb County alone reporting 60 threats affecting 40 schools.
  • Multiple threats across the state are being investigated, including those from individuals with no direct connection to the schools.

I think it was in his locker. There was something said about them hearing a banging sound in the beginning. Of course I can't find it now but I think that was him getting it out of his locker. JMO.

I posted earlier but here in Northern NV we have had 2 children (12 and 13) arrested in the last couple of weeks in separate incidents for making threats on social media. I am hearing about this happening all over :(

JMO
Had the teacher told him he couldn't take his bag with him, and he still had the gun in it, we might be talking about an entire classroom of murdered students plus the teacher. moo

I know you aren't @Megnut. But those blaming the teacher or teachers should try subbing for a month at a local high school. moo

Had the teacher told him he couldn't take his bag with him, and he still had the gun in it, we might be talking about an entire classroom of murdered students plus the teacher. moo

I know you aren't @Megnut. But those blaming the teacher or teachers should try subbing for a month at a local high school. moo
I was a teacher so no argument from me.

My point was that I don't know that the weapon was even in his backpack at that point. (Even if it was, his camouflaging it as a school project must have been effective.)

It's never fair to expect hindsight from foresight.

If he had the gun in the classroom and the school went to full lockdown from the mother's alert alone, that entire classroom would have been in immediate danger.

It's devastating how much damage an armed child can do.

JMO

I was a teacher so no argument from me.

My point was that I don't know that the weapon was even in his backpack at that point. (Even if it was, his camouflaging it as a school project must have been effective.)

It's never fair to expect hindsight from foresight.

If he had the gun in the classroom and the school went to full lockdown from the mother's alert alone, that entire classroom would have been in immediate danger.

It's devastating how much damage an armed child can do.

JMO
I knew you weren't in any way blaming the teachers.

I agree 100% with your statements above, especially with "It's never fair to expect hindsight from foresight."

I'm doubtful that anyone blaming the teachers has spent any significant time as a teacher in a public high school.

I knew you weren't in any way blaming the teachers.

I agree 100% with your statements above, especially with "It's never fair to expect hindsight from foresight."

I'm doubtful that anyone blaming the teachers has spent any significant time as a teacher in a public high school.

we also shouldn't be expecting them to want to be armed
like they're teachers, not soldiers, not LE
my niece is a teacher but we don't usually have these situations here thankfully
I can't imagine her being required to carry and possibly use a weapon in her workplace

Lawyers for Colt Gray, the accused gunman in the Apalachee school shooting, want his records from the Department of Family and Children Services.

Gray’s attorneys argue that “there is relevant evidence obtainable only through these records,” and are willing to waive any confidentiality to obtain them.

Prosecutors say they will present their cases against Colt Gray and Colin Gray before a grand jury in October.

we also shouldn't be expecting them to want to be armed
like they're teachers, not soldiers, not LE
my niece is a teacher but we don't usually have these situations here thankfully
I can't imagine her being required to carry and possibly use a weapon in her workplace
No one is required to carry. Teachers are allowed to carry. If I were to go back in the classroom, I would. Thankfully, Ohio is one of the majority of states that allow concealed carry without requiring a permit. Being armed wouldn't be anything new or uncomfortable for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crowskullsearch33