GA GA - Atlanta, WhtMale 1029UMGA, 50-70, w/ photo of young girl, Dec'80

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think it would be Pam & Dwight. I mean who signs a letter to their dad like that. Pam T. Dwight. That would be weird even if she wasn't close to her dad.

But some people do that. My youngest son signs "Dxxxx X. Xxxxxxxx" even on birthday cards and the note he leaves to tell me he's going out for the evening. I don't know why. He doesn't know why. He agrees it's silly, and then next time he leaves a note, he just automatically signs it the same way.

The other time a woman will sign her full name like that even in inappropriate contexts is when she's newly married and proud of the fact.

Looking at the origional photo of the young girl (on the Doe Network page), TO ME, the picture is very reminissent of several pictures that my parents had taken of me when I was younger at Olin Mills. As a matter of fact, the pose in the picture is eeriely similar to a picture of my cousin Crystal, whom is only a year older than me ( I was born in 1976, she was born in 1975) and there are pictures of her around that age in which she is wearing a similar style of dress. Wonder if this could have been taken at one of those photography studios that they have in Sears or JC Penney (that could account for their not being a studio 'name stamp' on the corners of the picture, as Olin Mills does with their pictures).

The photo looks exactly like the ones I had taken of my kids when they were in grade school. Standard commercial photo of some kind, maybe a school portrait.

I think she looks older than 4 -- more like 6 or 7.

There has to be some sort of resource for a history of textile mills in the US - primarily, the Southeast. So many of them went out of business with NAFTA and GATT and the lives of everyone living here changed. I wonder if a library somewhere would have an on-line history of textile mills??

The back of the photo that had "HR Bow Dyeing and Finishing" and the phone number "278 3448" (which I am not too sure of after looking at it). <modsnip: broken link>

Attachments

• HR Bow Phone Number.jpg
    HR Bow Phone Number.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 235
Last edited by a moderator:
(a.) Bumping this thread, obv.

(b.) I don't know whether my school experiences were different or not, but I was enrolled in a regular Catholic grade school by the time I was four years old. I was in pre-kinder then and my school days were as long while in pre-k and kinder as they were for the "grades" there (1st - 8th): 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM. We also played educational games, were read to, and encouraged to do these coloring worksheets in class. (FYI, I could read and understand at a 6th grade level in pre-k, but I still sat and listened when the teacher read to us in class.) So we were definitely NOT in preschool when we were in pre-k.

Anyway, I bring this up because it was probable that this little girl had a similar educational background and was NOT enrolled in preschool as a four-year-old but enrolled in a similarly educational pre-k setting, so this was her school picture. She was probably especially proud to be posing for it because she was finally in school with the "big kids", which is probably why she was smiling so broadly. Now, I was four in 1983 so I'm just guessing on the outfit here, but it looks to me like one from the mid '70s, maybe 1974 - 1975. Now if this person were at the uppermost range age-wise as determined by the forensic people, he would've been 70 in 1980, giving a birth year of 1910. If this child were 4 in 1974 - 1975, she would have been born anywhere from 1970 - 1971, meaning the deceased would've been 60 - 61 years old at the time of her birth. It would be perfectly reasonable to deduce, then, that this child was the man's granddaughter.

Now looking back toward the Pam & Dwight (and I'm convinced it's "Pam & Dwight" instead of "Pam T. Dwight", since it was brought up earlier in the thread that the person who wrote this letter indicated the "and" by using a plus symbol. From the other contents of the letter, I can see why people are saying that Pam is the man's daughter and Dwight her husband. Pam and Dwight will also most probably be the little girl's parents. Now, the age range for the couple could've been anywhere from mid-20s in 1980 (if we're considering the man at the lower end of the age range) to about 40 in 1980. There's no certainty here since the age ranges are so wild. If you were to apply my own immediate family to this situation, where they all started having children in their thirties (e.g. Grandma was 34 when she gave birth to Mom and 67 when I was born, and I'm 32 and I still haven't given birth yet), it could be very logical that Pam gave birth to this daughter at 30 and would've been 40 in 1980, and her own dad could've also been 30 when his daughter was born, which would've set the man's age at death at 70 years old, and the granddaughter's age in 1980 as 10 (thus dating the photo back to 1974).

Also, if you were to look at the little girl's outfit and the way she's presented in this photo, it looks like she would've come from a more middle-class upbringing, or a blue collar upbringing with a stable, steady income from the parents. The way this income stability can be effected is if she were to have older parents, or parents who were at least 28 years old each, since traditionally younger parents would have less stable incomes and wouldn't be able to provide as well for their children. So we're looking at a Pam who was at least 37 years old in 1980 (if her daughter was 4 in 1975), and if her father was no younger than 23 at the time she was born (because I'm imagining the daughter was raised in a fairly stable household), that would place his age in 1980 as being at least 60, which is a pretty reasonable age to be if you're going to be a 9-year-old's grandfather in 1980. Meaning, I would ignore every potential on the lower end of the age range and place the emphasis at the uppermost decade range-wise.

Now, as far as how the granddaughter got dark reddish brown hair while her grandpa had blond/gray hair, one must consider that blond hair is a recessive trait that is most evident when at least two of one's grandparents have blond hair, so it's likely that the man's wife or ex-wife had brown or reddish brown hair, the daughter had light to medium brown hair, and the son-in-law had brown hair. So we may be looking for a couple or former couple (Pam & Dwight) who are in their late 60s - early 70s today, who are probably gray-haired now but who both had fully brown hair as recently as ca. 2000. Their daughter, who'll be 41 - 42 today, will probably have medium brown hair with red highlights that'll be highlighted by the sun. She probably has children of her own. One of them probably has a photo of themselves from when they were 4 or 5 when they looked just like their mom did in this photograph.

Now, it may take awhile -- maybe a decade or so -- but that person's going to be sifting through the Internet and land on this picture of their mom and think, "Hey, I looked like that when I was her age." They will probably compare their own childhood photo to this one and be compelled by the eerie resemblance, and think about how their mom came from Florida, possibly/probably Panama City. They will then ask their mom if they have any childhood photos of themselves and their mom will probably drag out a series of photos, one of which will include this very photo. Point is, this person's identity will probably be found, but only when this little girl's grown child[ren] land on this profile, put two and two together, and reunite their mother with her long-lost grandfather. Oh, and I don't believe this person would've ever been reported missing. I feel very strongly that this is a case of a father long estranged from the rest of his family (possibly divorced a long time ago from the family matriarch) and living an itinerant lifestyle, working sporadically and living in rented accomodations when he worked and living outside and scavenging or begging when he didn't. Perhaps the womam wrote the letter and sent the photograph back when she still wanted a relationship with her father, but stopped writing letters and sending photos when her affections waned. The little girl probably only ever had sporadic exposure to her grandfather and doesn't remember much about him.

God, I'm sorry for writing a little novella here. It's just -- this case has grabbed me by the you-know-whats and I'm really, really hoping the man's identity can eventually be found.

I just stumbled across this while procrastinating from the Thanksgiving preparations I should be doing...

While I can see arcana07's logic, my interpretation, based on my own experiences, is totally different. I was born in June 1959, lived in the northeast US. Started kindergarten in a public school in September 1964. I was 5 years old, but my cousin, who was born in November 1959, was only 4 years old when he started kindergarten. At that time the "cut off" age/date was December 1, so anybody born between December 1958 and November 30, 1959 started kindergarten that year.

Another fact from the early 1960's girls were required to wear dresses/skirts and boys trousers/slacks to public school. I have a strong memory of when us girls were allowed to wear pants to school, I was in 4th grade. I wasn't allowed to wear jeans to school until I was in high school.

The "jumper" worn by the girl in the picture, is very similar to something I wore in my 3rd grade class picture. That would about 1967. It certainly does look like the type of pictures that were taken in public schools at the time. Even the "sky blue" background. With that in mind, I place the photo date in the late 1960's.

Even with those facts, keep in mind that the NE was more progressive vs. than other regions at the time.

The girl's clothes - a turtle neck and jumper (probably wool) - would be pretty warm for somebody living in Georgia or Florida in September/October. So she might have been living in a more northern climate.

Since the man was found in 1980, I suspect this is a picture of his daughter or granddaughter that was born around 1963.

And here is the signature part of the letter: <modsnip: broken link>

At first glance, the character in the middle of the signature looks to me like a "y" rather than a "T" or a "+" sign.

As in Pam y Dwight (Pam & Dwight) but written with a spanish "and" that, possibly, implies hispanic or latino heritage?

It would definitely fit in with a connection to Florida given the large hispanic and latino population in the state.

I realize that Pam and Dwight aren't hispanic sounding names and it would be odd to write the letter in English and sign it that way but it was the first thing that popped into my mind so I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion regardless of how unlikely it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't tease any more detail out of the "HR Bow Dyeing and Finishing" image in photoshop, but I'm thinking it could also be:

'Bow Spring' or 'Bow String' [cursive capital S]

No google hits on businesses relating to hunting or... I guess bow springs would mostly be used on boats? Maybe Mr. Doe was a bow hunter? This area seems pretty urban for that.

Another possibility: I also see the B as a possible cursive capital G, as in "H.R. Gow Spring V[something]" may be the little girl's name and the season/occasion the photo was taken. There are a few hits on Gow as a family name in Georgia and elsewhere. The top 3 1970's H names for little girls were Heather, Heidi, and Holly. I can't find any missing Gows, but the girl's name might be different from our Doe.

Thanks for all the additional information! The letter writer used phrases like "wonderful husband" and I can't imagine a child using such descriptive language. I know I didn't, and I frequently wrote letters to my relatives as a kid in the days before email.

The girl's photo was taken in September, when most school photos are taken, and that makes me think it may have been a preschool photo, since most kindergartens require their pupils to be at least five and someone had written she was four on the back of her photo.

I agree with you about the "wonderful husband part," but when I started school back in the very early 1980s, I think the cut-off (at least in Southern California) was that the child had to be five by November 5 of that year (I had a friend who just made it into that class, if they would have been born a year later, they would have had to wait until the next year). Its possible the little girl could have been 4 years old when the photo was taken and starting kindergarten, if her birthday was in September, October, or the beginning of November.

I agree with you about the "wonderful husband part," but when I started school back in the very early 1980s, I think the cut-off (at least in Southern California) was that the child had to be five by November 5 of that year (I had a friend who just made it into that class, if they would have been born a year later, they would have had to wait until the next year). Its possible the little girl could have been 4 years old when the photo was taken and starting kindergarten, if her birthday was in September, October, or the beginning of November.

When I started school in the 1960's the age cut off was December 1st. So there were many children that started kindergarten when they were 4 years old. (That was in NJ). Now the cut off date is October 1, so there are still some kids that start when they are 4.

I found a listing on Ancestry for HR Grunert Stephensville Bow in a directory. I don't actually have ancestry, so I can't see more than that..grrr..., but it is in Wisconsin, and probably unrelated.

I have searched secretary of state business filings too. I saw that they head searched in Georgia, and I searched in Ohio, Wisconsin and Florida with no luck. So we're 4 states down, 46 to go, lol.

Bump....we haven't looked at this case in a while. Perhaps fresh eyes will help.

But some people do that. My youngest son signs "Dxxxx X. Xxxxxxxx" even on birthday cards and the note he leaves to tell me he's going out for the evening. I don't know why. He doesn't know why. He agrees it's silly, and then next time he leaves a note, he just automatically signs it the same way.

The other time a woman will sign her full name like that even in inappropriate contexts is when she's newly married and proud of the fact.

Another thought: Sometimes wives handle the family letter-writing for sons who aren't inclined to write -- so, Pam COULD have been a daughter-in-law and Dwight the son.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisy24
Back