GA - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 10 counts in 2020 election interference, violation of RICO Act, 14 Aug 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@AnnaBower
·

Just in: Judge McAfee DENIES Fani Willis's request to advise defendants of how a speedy trial demand impacts their rights to certain discovery deadlines and notice of trial.

McAfee says that imposing the deadlines Willis set out in her motion would conflict with the way he typically runs trials, as set out in his standing case management order. So, he denies the motion, but says Willis can raise the issue down the road if it becomes relevant.

Onward and upward. I think D.A. Willis can recover from this denial without missing a beat, imo.

jmo

21 year vereran of the DOJ, Elizabeth de la Vega:
As expected, DA Fani Willis' brief filed today clearly set everyone straight, in a polite way, about the (very limited) role of overt acts in the RICO charge and the non-existent role of overt acts in a removal analysis. Excellent job!

-------------------
The fact that this is Ms. Willis, what, 11 or 12th RICO indictment now really seems to work in her favor - she is immensely prepared and knowledgeable and it really shows in her filings. Meanwhile, the media keep telling me how good Meadows attorney (George Terwilliger) is.

Their filing shows little understanding of GA RICO law, imo, as they're hung up on overt acts but also Meadows and his attorneys have never argued that this overt action was as COS but this one was a campaign effort - they've lumped them all together to support a wobbly removal bid but that also rather opened the door for Ms. Willis to argue he would have had to violate federal law if there was no delineation (the Hatch Act). And Mr. Meadows entering into the conspiracy as COS flies in the face of removal as breaking Georgia state law couldn't possibly be considered under color of office.

So, the media keep banging on about how esteemed Terwilliger and associates are but I'm becoming a Fani fangirl. JMO

Hehe, a "Fani fan" for sure. :)

LMAO!

Anna Bower tweet: New: Ken Chesebro stresses that he really, really doesn't want to be tried with Sidney Powell in October. He's asks Judge McAfee to sever his case from Powell: https://documentcloud.org/documents/23933960-23sc188947-motion-6-chesebro-powell-sever
Can't say I blame him! I do think sitting next to her in a courtroom would reflect poorly on him.

But, all defendants entered the conspiracy, whether they knew each other or emailed each other or not.

jmo

The push to keep Trump off the ballot is gaining steam: it won't be easy--
I don't think it's going to work. '

He isn't convicted.

I'm somewhat familiar with ballot access in Texas. It's a civil matter.

For Republican candidates, it's up to the Republican Party of Texas. Parties are a proxy for the secretary of state and it falls on them to qualify or disqualify candidates.

Another Republican presidential candidate would need to sue to Trump to get him off the ballot. We've had convicted felons and people who were not statutorily not eligible on ballots. The only way to get them off, is if another candidate for the same race (who has standing) sues them in civil court.

We were told that if the felon won, then the AG would get involved to determine if he could be seated.
The other candidates saw him as a fringe candidate, so they didn't pursue it.

Katie Phang (msnbc legal analyst and lawyer in her own right) said that if Alina Habba is quarterbacking Trump's legal defense, she's just fast-tracking him to jail.

(I'm developing a theory that Trump is surrounded by the worst lawyers in America, btw. :))

He'd have better representation if he'd actually paid any of his former attorneys.
IMO

Any opinions on how Trump's PAC, and some GOP Pacs, fare out in all of this?

- The PAC paying the legal fees and potentially violating Campaign Finance laws;
- Meadows offering up "Campaign money to count votes in Georgia";
- Paid for fake electors to be scouted out, gathered up to 'vote' forged documents;
- Paid for voting machines to be illegally accessed;
- Paid indicted lawyers' expenses in furtherance of the fake elector scheme and attempts to have former VP Pence ignore the law on 6 Jan; and
- Basicly BEING the funding entity for this Racketeering Influenced and Corrupt Organization

Post trials, if there's a conviction, does anyone foresee the sword of justice coming for the PAC money managers etc for funding a criminal organization --- essentially they'd be "part of" that RICO entity too would they not?
Lie down with dogs, get up with fleas... or indictments.
I look for it to happen. It *should* happen.

I don't think it's going to work. '

He isn't convicted.

I'm somewhat familiar with ballot access in Texas. It's a civil matter.

For Republican candidates, it's up to the Republican Party of Texas. Parties are a proxy for the secretary of state and it falls on them to qualify or disqualify candidates.

Another Republican presidential candidate would need to sue to Trump to cm6et him off the ballot. We've had convicted felons and people who were not statutorily not eligible on ballots. The only way to get them off, is if anotspher candidate for the same race (who has standing) sues them in civil court.

We were told that if the felon won, then the AG would get involved to detoermine if he could be seated.
The other candidates saw him as a fringe candidate, so they didn't pursue it.
I don't think conviction is required. The disqualification originally was so civil war confederates couldn't run for president, iirc. They were not necessarily "convicted" of an insurrection. There is nothing in the provision that requires a conviction afaik.

I do agree, however, that a conviction would definitely help. But involvement in J6 is clear - the defendant called upon people to show up, he pressured Pence to delay, etc. None of that is in dispute as he literally spoke from a podium and tweeted repeatedly about the topic. He was involved.

There are people who will fight this, of course, and if it's going to gain momentum, they do need to start the drumroll now.

It will be very interesting to watch how the movement develops.

jmo

Sidney Powell files to adopt Chesebro's motions requesting the names of unindicted co-conspirators and ability to interview grand jurors. (Really hope both of these are denied for both. JMO)

Mean and petty it may be, but I feel like they all deserve Powell.

I get that he's got money on tap from donors but he's also spending it a lot faster than he can raise it. The $150 million he's spent was money he started amassing to fight the 2020 results.

While I'm thrilled Trump's low on cash I think it also makes him an even bigger threat - what's he willing to offer Saudi or Russia or China for much needed funds? JMO
Great point!

@ErinKPeterson

Governor Kemp appoints a 3 member commission to review State Sen. Shawn Still. He's the only 1 of the 19 indicted in the Georgia RICO case currently holding elected office. Still is accused in connection with the fake electors scheme. They'll consider if he's fit to serve.

Attachments

• IMG_0584.jpeg
    IMG_0584.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 4
I was so hoping we'd get a ruling on Meadows removal that I've been stalking Anna Bowers twitter feed all day. Still nothing on that front but Giuliani now becomes the 11th to waive arraignment, pleading not guilty.

Normal rule is pre-trial motions are due within 10 days of arraignment. He, however, is asking the court to extend that timeline to 30 days after all discovery has been turned over.

Suit dismissed because the plaintiff lacked standing. So who has standing that could bring it?

Suit dismissed because the plaintiff lacked standing. So who has standing that could bring it?
When the 14th amendment has been discussed, I understood the process to be that each state's Secretary of State is responsible for whose name appears on the ballot. It would be the Sec of State who needs to be sued, not the candidate.

OF COURSE, I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I think some of these lawsuits might be for show and I question the motive this far in advance, to be honest.

jmo

When the 14th amendment has been discussed, I understood the process to be that each state's Secretary of State is responsible for whose name appears on the ballot. It would be the Sec of State who needs to be sued, not the candidate.

OF COURSE, I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I think some of these lawsuits might be for show and I question the motive this far in advance, to be honest.

jmo
I've also read the suggestion that another Republican primary candidate may have the best potential standing because of the injury to them. JMO

@ErinKPeterson

Governor Kemp appoints a 3 member commission to review State Sen. Shawn Still. He's the only 1 of the 19 indicted in the Georgia RICO case currently holding elected office. Still is accused in connection with the fake electors scheme. They'll consider if he's fit to serve.
Dang, Brian, keep it up!
I'm still mad at him for opening the tattoo parlors and bowling alleys back up in April of 2020, though, among other things.

Another Republican candidate for POTUS. (That's how these things work. It isn't "we the people", it's "this candidate will harm my campaign")

For damages: I also think they would need to prove that he's an "illegitimate " candidate and if the "illegitimate candidate" wins and can't be seated, then damages occur to the candidate who lost. (It's weird)

I wonder if Christie will bite? He may have standing, but then there is the damages part.

Last edited:
Oh, It's pretty clear that this is far beyond looking for legal ways to challenge and election. That was tried and failed in court 60 times. There would be no criminal charges for those efforts.

We're now onto the illegal ways they attempted to subvert the election. Surely, by now, this much at least is a given fact.
I don't see it as a given fact, I see it as a political maneuver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member