GA GA - Jenna Van Gelderen, 25, Atlanta, 18 Aug 2017 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did you read that? Was there an outcome?
Welcome Strawberry BTW.
I read it here (see quote below), but upon re-reading, I think I may have misunderstood. What the poster may have meant is that police didn't check for any pings until January.

So that said, when was her phone last pinged? And do we know if there's any data on her 2nd cell phone? are there any phone records for that or no?

LE told the family she was found when she wasn’t. And they just got phone pings from one of her phones in January! Not to mention, failing to interview key POI’s/witnesses for weeks. Not doing forensics on moms car or the house.

I don’t see any of these things as standard procedure.

I read it here (see quote below), but upon re-reading, I think I may have misunderstood. What the poster may have meant is that police didn't check for any pings until January.

So that said, when was her phone last pinged? And do we know if there's any data on her 2nd cell phone? are there any phone records for that or no?

I think that was the tmobile data they got in January. They already had the metro pcs data I believe. Not sure when or where the last ping was but that was supposedly near where they were searching with k9's the other day without success.

@sassysleuthie..... The Vanished podcast will pretty much catch you up. Mid-December LE informed the family that they finally had the cell phone information from the day Jenna went missing. The family consulted a psychic last fall. And there have been recent searches with dogs of locations unknown to us. Nothing new on Atlanta television/news that I'm aware of regarding the case. And LE not saying anything publicly. As per Subie (Jenna's brother) who was commenting on this site initially...... he was asked to no longer comment, presumably so the investigation would not be compromised by sharing info on social media. That's about it...... very slow progression it seems.

It was mentioned on the Abbey and Libby thread that GBI had helped ISP with a progress review of their case.

Perhaps GBI or DeKalb or the family can get another jurisdiction to review this case? It certainly needs it IMO.

I’m not sure of the procedures in place to make a formal complaint on behalf of the citizens of Atlanta USA regarding the Police investigation into Jenna’s disappearance and the apparent lack of obvious lines of enquiry or the delay timewise in relation to these lines of enquiry. I know LE can hide behind the fact that it’s an ongoing investigation and to release details may compromise either Jenna or the investigation or both BUT with facing the facts that LE aren’t giving out anything to go on, can you who are on WS and are residents nearby to this location, collectively make an official complaint to the Chief of LE and/or local Senator representatives?
Or can you do a ‘banner’ March or something to drum up leads or recollections or to invite local journalists and TV company to document a banner March to help find Jenna VG ...
I know it may not be the wishes of LE or her family even but in the absence of anything else, the least it could do is make someone in charge in LE to be put under a little public pressure to have the case reviewed and to ensure that everything that can be done IS ACTUALLY BEING UNDERTAKEN!!
I would assist if I wasn’t thousands of miles away in the UK and I knew your procedures of protesting ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure of the procedures in place to make a formal complaint on behalf of the citizens of Atlanta USA regarding the Police investigation into Jenna’s disappearance and the apparent lack of obvious lines of enquiry or the delay timewise in relation to these lines of enquiry. I know LE can hide behind the fact that it’s an ongoing investigation and to release details may compromise either Jenna or the investigation or both BUT with facing the facts that LE aren’t giving out anything to go on, can you who are on WS and are residents nearby to this location, collectively make an official complaint to the Chief of LE and/or local Senator representatives?

Hi Angle- in the US, Law enforcement only has an obligation to keep the public informed if there is danger. They typically keep the family a little informed because of the risk of the family telling others and the media important points of the case.

Also, we have no idea what they know or who they suspect. Without clear evidence, they may be waiting on someone to misstep.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Hi Angle- in the US, Law enforcement only has an obligation to keep the public informed if there is danger. They typically keep the family a little informed because of the risk of the family telling others and the media important points of the case.

Also, we have no idea what they know or who they suspect. Without clear evidence, they may be waiting on someone to misstep.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Thanks Henry
So it’s a non starter then
Smh 🤦*♀️ *♀️

JMO, but I think it’s beneficial when the media and law enforcement work together to get information out to the public.

A member of the community remains missing. If I were a DeKalb County taxpayer (or someone sending a child to the nearby Emory University), I might care about police response. What are they doing to locate her? What have they done? What if it were my child who goes missing next? Will they get the same treatment? I think I’d probably care about that. Maybe the public at large isn’t in danger but how do we know for sure? We don’t know all the circumstances of her disappearance because no one has officially told us.

There were some initial comments from a police spokesman here and there and then that was it. There was very little follow up.

Perhaps not all LE agencies are great at public relations. They could be doing everything right but not understand why they should care about sharing information with their community. That’s why it’s helpful to have local media prompt them. It’s a symbiotic relationship.

One of the TV station’s tag lines is, “Holding the Powerful Accountable.” I see some of the seemingly irrelevant stories they cover (ex: a lady singing in the airport) so I know that they could spare a few minutes for this case. I can think of a list of questions they can ask. I’m sure we all can. Maybe they need to be pushed from the public. If LE has no comment to share, tell us that and explain why. But at least ask.

I don’t care what kind of lifestyle someone claims she had before she was last seen. She’s a human being and that alone is enough to warrant attention.

JMO, but I think it’s beneficial when the media and law enforcement work together to get information out to the public.

A member of the community remains missing. If I were a DeKalb County taxpayer (or someone sending a child to the nearby Emory University), I might care about police response. What are they doing to locate her? What have they done? What if it were my child who goes missing next? Will they get the same treatment? I think I’d probably care about that. Maybe the public at large isn’t in danger but how do we know for sure? We don’t know all the circumstances of her disappearance because no one has officially told us.

There were some initial comments from a police spokesman here and there and then that was it. There was very little follow up.

Perhaps not all LE agencies are great at public relations. They could be doing everything right but not understand why they should care about sharing information with their community. That’s why it’s helpful to have local media prompt them. It’s a symbiotic relationship.

One of the TV station’s tag lines is, “Holding the Powerful Accountable.” I see some of the seemingly irrelevant stories they cover (ex: a lady singing in the airport) so I know that they could spare a few minutes for this case. I can think of a list of questions they can ask. I’m sure we all can. Maybe they need to be pushed from the public. If LE has no comment to share, tell us that and explain why. But at least ask.

I don’t care what kind of lifestyle someone claims she had before she was last seen. She’s a human being and that alone is enough to warrant attention.

Agree 100%

This is a metro area with a population of roughly 4 million. I doubt 10,000 people in the city even know a girl has gone missing. With so much news to digest about a single city, so much in the local crime feed, etc I doubt many parents are concerned with emory's safety protocol.

This is a metro area with a population of roughly 4 million. I doubt 10,000 people in the city even know a girl has gone missing. With so much news to digest about a single city, so much in the local crime feed, etc I doubt many parents are concerned with emory's safety protocol.

Population size is not an excuse.

If more people knew about her case, maybe they would be concerned. Maybe more people should know, is my point.

I’m on the side of finding what happened to Jenna and if that means wanting people to do more than they’re used to doing, oh well.

Thanks Henry
So it’s a non starter then
Smh 🤦*♀️ *♀️

I'm sure the family can complain and ramp it up. There was talk at one time they were trying to get GBI involved as well as their state representative. Its completely unacceptable that GBI has not got Jenna on their missing list. Why not? Question number 1.
Something is wrong here, I know that much.
:cow:

Fabulous post and my thoughts exactly!

You're probably correct about a very small percentage of the total population having awareness of a missing person due to large population, being oversaturated in our local news by many crime stories in general, including when people go missing. It's overwhelming, really, and content is driven by what's new and which squeaky wheels get the grease at any given moment. I agree with previous sentiment that the family or an advocate who is close to the family badgers the news channels for bringing continued awareness that this case remains unsolved.

By the way, I'm not really clear on what you mean by "I doubt many parents are concerned with emory's safety protocol." What did you mean? Did you mean parents like Jenna's parents or Emory students' parents? I will say, if it helps this discussion, that Emory does have its own very active and present police department.

Even with Emory having a police force, students might interact with the community beyond school boundaries. A young woman goes missing while cat sitting at a home nearby. We don’t know how or why. If it hadn’t been for others mentioning prostitution and trafficking, maybe things would be viewed through a different lens. Yes, it’s reaching. An update still seems relevant to the community, IMO. If they’re not going to follow up on the stories they report, what is the point of telling us about them in the first place?

There are a lot of people here and a lot of other crimes happening. I know how overwhelming it can be trying to keep up as a reporter. They’re typically underpaid and understaffed. However, sometimes all it takes is someone making an effort to explain to reporters why this is newsworthy. And we’re not talking an in depth enterprise piece. They just need to make a few phone calls and ask some questions. Post it online so it doesn’t take up much space. The goal, in my mind, is not only to update the public but also to check back with LE, for several reasons. Maybe everyone is doing all they can but we have no way of knowing.

I'm not sure if I can discuss the details..... so will leave it at this: there was a new post by Jenna's Dad last night, apparently on NextDoor & definitely on FB, that offered new & important information that has not been discussed previousy on this site. Feeling the extreme frustration with LE that Jenna's family is experiencing. Again, wondering why GBI is not involved.

Even with Emory having a police force, students might interact with the community beyond school boundaries. A young woman goes missing while cat sitting at a home nearby. We don’t know how or why. If it hadn’t been for others mentioning prostitution and trafficking, maybe things would be viewed through a different lens. Yes, it’s reaching. An update still seems relevant to the community, IMO. If they’re not going to follow up on the stories they report, what is the point of telling us about them in the first place?

There are a lot of people here and a lot of other crimes happening. I know how overwhelming it can be trying to keep up as a reporter. They’re typically underpaid and understaffed. However, sometimes all it takes is someone making an effort to explain to reporters why this is newsworthy. And we’re not talking an in depth enterprise piece. They just need to make a few phone calls and ask some questions. Post it online so it doesn’t take up much space. The goal, in my mind, is not only to update the public but also to check back with LE, for several reasons. Maybe everyone is doing all they can but we have no way of knowing.

I have seen media contacted which resulted in new articles. Sometimes I have seen that folks contacted media about a rumor that we were never allowed to discuss here, and the media actually investigated it and only then, that it was in the media, so we could discuss it.

Sometimes it just takes a phone call or two. Although that is against terms of service to talk about here is my recollection to do a concerted effort to call media from bylines?

I'm not sure if I can discuss the details..... so will leave it at this: there was a new post by Jenna's Dad last night, apparently on NextDoor & definitely on FB, that offered new & important information that has not been discussed previousy on this site. Feeling the extreme frustration with LE that Jenna's family is experiencing. Again, wondering why GBI is not involved.

I saw that as well. I didn’t realize some of what he referenced, although some of the posts on the ‘Missing’ community pages made me to suspect. I pray for closure for this family.

Uber eats driver sought in slaying. Another woman missing from westside where Jenna's car was found. My point about the large metro area was there's a lot of other crime to be interested in.

Uber eats driver sought in slaying. Another woman missing from westside where Jenna's car was found. My point about the large metro area was there's a lot of other crime to be interested in.
Have you got links for these please? Also, wth is an "Uber eats driver" ?

Regarding posting on next door- what's the point of that because noone outside the community will see it. It should be posted on deKalb PD Facebook or Twitter, on Helo Find JVG and Crimestoppers.sites. Do GBI have Twitter and Facebook? Put it on there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdw1990