GA - Jennifer Wilbanks, runaway bride, for false police report, Duluth, 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Marthatex said:
Back at ya! Oh, you live in Atlanta? Try to find out some good stuff!
We are, as you can imagine, SATURATED with it here. Here's a link and some other stories.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2006/10/09/1010METBRIDE.html

'Runaway bride' says ex ran off with the money

By LATEEF MUNGIN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 10/10/06
Now it may be called the tale of the "runaway groom."

Jennifer Wilbanks, known internationally as the runaway bride, is suing her former fiancé, John Mason, contending that he ran off with $500,000 the couple received for selling their story.

Wilbanks got that name after she disappeared before a lavishly planned wedding last year and concocted a phony kidnapping story. The truth was that she got cold feet and fled to New Mexico.

In the suit filed in Gwinnett County, Wilbanks alleges that while she was hospitalized and under medication after returning to Atlanta, Mason obtained power of attorney, which allowed him to handle Wilbanks'finances.

She says that Mason then made a $500,000 deal with Regan Media in June or July 2005 for the couple to tell their unusual story and used the money to buy a house on Hamilton Mill Parkway in Dacula.

AN American woman who was dubbed the "runaway bride" when she faked her own kidnapping days before a lavish wedding, is suing her former fiancé for £265,000.

Jennifer Wilbanks, who fled to Las Vegas and New Mexico as hundreds of police and volunteers searched for her in suburban Atlanta, Georgia, claims John Mason defrauded her out of her share of their wedding presents.

She wants £130,000 - half of the claim - for her share of the home she alleges Mr Mason bought with the money the couple made for selling their story.

Ms Wilbanks claims he abused the power of attorney she granted him to handle their financial affairs.

She is also seeking the return of personal property she claims her estranged lover has kept. more at link:http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1506872006

Marthatex said:
Something strange about this story. When she went into the hospital, wasn't that BEFORE she ever made the book deal? so she gives HIM power of attorney and he makes the book Deal? How dumb can she get, or even dumber that is.

Surely in the contract it would be clear if she were entitled to half the money. So then he goes and buys a house. Well did he plonk down all 500,000 for the house? Paid cash? That's hard to believe, maybe he made a down payment? Where's the rest of th money? With todays interest rates it seems like it would have been silly to put it all down on the house, unless they bought a million dollar house that they couldn't really afford.

"He kicked her out". Well, if they both owned the house, she wouldn't necessarily have to leave. Make him leave. And why didn't she take her things with her?

Can't afford a moving truck, to take the washer & dryer and half the the wedding gifts and daddy's ladder?
I would love to know the real story behind all this. Were they still being abstinent? Maybe that's what got to them.

yeah...couldn't help but chuckle when i read that...i was like, huh??

i heard that neither of their parents' have had any comment on this 'story'....well, this was the other nite on TV...

Runaway bride's ex sues back, says he has 'scars'
John Mason files counterclaim in Gwinnett

By LATEEF MUNGIN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 10/13/06

The ex-fiancé of Runaway Bride Jennifer Wilbanks says he should be compensated for the emotional and financial loss he suffered after his former love left him hanging.

John Mason of Duluth is countersuing Wilbanks after her claim that he ran off with $500,000 the couple received for telling their story.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2006/10/13/1013bride.html

When you get right down to it, she shouldn't make any money off of what she did. I guess it all depends on the contract, and if she fulfilled her part.

I don't recall hearing anything from her, like what that thing was that made her do what she did and make up that bizarre story

Was she depressed, was she anorexic, did she just not want to go through with it? Did anyone hear the answer? I can't believe anyone would pay her $250,000 for that - for committing a crime.

Has John Mason been supporting her all this time, while they lived together? If so, she might owe him some money. This counter-suit may shut her up.

From all that I know, which isn't much, I say Go John!

Marthatex said:
When you get right down to it, she shouldn't make any money off of what she did. I guess it all depends on the contract, and if she fulfilled her part.

I don't recall hearing anything from her, like what that thing was that made her do what she did and make up that bizarre story

Was she depressed, was she anorexic, did she just not want to go through with it? Did anyone hear the answer? I can't believe anyone would pay her $250,000 for that - for committing a crime.

Has John Mason been supporting her all this time, while they lived together? If so, she might owe him some money. This counter-suit may shut her up.

From all that I know, which isn't much, I say Go John!
Mary Kay Latourneau got $1 million for coverage of her wedding to Villi.
It has to be said that "if" they did do the interview together, he had no right to all the money. If he used their Co. to buy the house, her being part of the company means she owns half. ( please don't think from this post that I beleive she DESERVES a dime, just trying to figure out what might be legal)

He may have used some of the money, but I 'd bet he has a mortgage just like the rest of us. Does anyone know if he owned the other home? Not many people pay cash for a house, even if they have the money, tax advantages and all. I wonder who's name or names are on the title.

Moe said:
He may have used some of the money, but I 'd bet he has a mortgage just like the rest of us. Does anyone know if he owned the other home? Not many people pay cash for a house, even if they have the money, tax advantages and all. I wonder who's name or names are on the title.
Okay. I looked it up and I only see his name on title. Oh and he took a loan for 222,600, which is about 70% LTV or 100k down.

Moe said:

Yes, I do know of this. He owned a house very near me when this occurred and it shortly went uninhabited after her return. I imagine he sold it ASAP due to media and such. The area that the new home is in is nice but fairly far outside the perimeter (OTP) of Atlanta.The average sale in that area is 250,000. I would imagine the house is titled in his name as with her criminal history she wouldn't be able to get a mortgage.

I also believe it is mortgaged. I can check further tomorrow when I am at work...I am using someone else's computer and the info is not available here.

If the house was part hers then she wouldn't be asking for furniture and not proceeds from the house. She is projecting on the advance and no one has convinced me that she did follow through on a contractual relationship.This woman is irresponsible.

JBean said:
Okay. I looked it up and I only see his name on title. Oh and he took a loan for 222,600, which is about 70% LTV or 100k down.
OKay quoting myself to add that the sales price was 322k. FWIW.

I thought that we had heard the last of her sorry rear end. I would just love to hear John's side of the story. Here he took her back when she returned and they have lived together since then.

Don't most people return shower and wedding presents if the wedding doesn't take place? It isn't like people bought them household gifts out of the goodness of their hearts for pity sake. That is awful that they kept the gifts.

I can't believe that Jennifer had the nerve to even want to sell her story. She should have been so embarrassed and felt so awful because of what she did that she wouldn't have even wanted to talk about it. Doesn't she even realize how many people she hurt?

I don't really feel sorry for John because he took her right back as soon as she got back. I guess love really is blind because all a person had to do was look at her eyes to realize that something was wrong with her.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. After that I hope she gets lost.

Bobbisangel said:
I thought that we had heard the last of her sorry rear end. I would just love to hear John's side of the story. Here he took her back when she returned and they have lived together since then.

Don't most people return shower and wedding presents if the wedding doesn't take place? It isn't like people bought them household gifts out of the goodness of their hearts for pity sake. That is awful that they kept the gifts.

I can't believe that Jennifer had the nerve to even want to sell her story. She should have been so embarrassed and felt so awful because of what she did that she wouldn't have even wanted to talk about it. Doesn't she even realize how many people she hurt?

I don't really feel sorry for John because he took her right back as soon as she got back. I guess love really is blind because all a person had to do was look at her eyes to realize that something was wrong with her.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. After that I hope she gets lost.
Good post BA. Maybe they will sue and counter sue each other until the attorneys get all the money and there is nothing left.

Runaway Bride Inspires Police Recruiting

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (March 29) - Jennifer Wilbanks, the bride-to-be who skipped town just days before her planned wedding in Georgia, has a new starring role in New Mexico - as the inspiration for a police recruiting billboard. If the ad campaign is successful, it will likely be used for fliers, posters and possible TV ads. The Albuquerque Police Department is hoping to recruit 100 new officers by this summer.

The Albuquerque Police Department plans to unveil the ad on 10 digital billboards across the city next week, the Albuquerque Journal reported Thursday.

"Running away from your current job? Call APD recruiting," the ad reads, above a photo of Officer Trish Hoffman grabbing the veil of a bride, adorned in gown and wedding shoes.

Hoffman got national attention two years ago after Wilbanks landed in Albuquerque claiming she had been abducted before she was set to marry. Photos of Hoffman leading Wilbanks through the airport with a blanket over the runaway bride's head appeared on televisions and in newspapers across the country.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/article...g/20070329172709990002?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Runaway Bride Inspires Police Recruiting

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (March 29) - Jennifer Wilbanks, the bride-to-be who skipped town just days before her planned wedding in Georgia, has a new starring role in New Mexico - as the inspiration for a police recruiting billboard. If the ad campaign is successful, it will likely be used for fliers, posters and possible TV ads. The Albuquerque Police Department is hoping to recruit 100 new officers by this summer.

The Albuquerque Police Department plans to unveil the ad on 10 digital billboards across the city next week, the Albuquerque Journal reported Thursday.

"Running away from your current job? Call APD recruiting," the ad reads, above a photo of Officer Trish Hoffman grabbing the veil of a bride, adorned in gown and wedding shoes.

Hoffman got national attention two years ago after Wilbanks landed in Albuquerque claiming she had been abducted before she was set to marry. Photos of Hoffman leading Wilbanks through the airport with a blanket over the runaway bride's head appeared on televisions and in newspapers across the country.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/article...g/20070329172709990002?ncid=NWS00010000000001
Good grief!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back