GUILTY GA - Jorelys Rivera, 7, Canton, 2 Dec 2011 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some info that might help with the timeline.

http://www.cherokeetribune.com/view...ce-trauma-to-the-head?instance=home_news_left
December 07, 2011 12:00 AM

(note: Baker is id'ed as Lt. Jay Baker, spokesman for the Cherokee Sheriff’s Office earlier on in the article).

Info I have not seen published before now:

Not that it matters now, but if Jorelys didn't have any supervision (and does that mean EVER on that day at the playground?), does that mean the little kids as well - the 1 and 4 year old?

On another note, about 20 years ago I lived in a very nice large apartment complex. My first apartment on my own without a roommate. I was moving up in the world. :great: I kept getting the feeling somebody had been in my apartment (things would be moved around I thought, just weird vibes). One day I asked somebody to come home with me at lunch (don't know why - again a weird vibe) to check out my apartment. We walked in and found a naked man - somebody I had seen around the complex many times. He was the maintenance guy and had been using his keys to come into my apartment. We ran out of the apartment, some gardeners helped tackle him and he was arrested. I am so thankful I kept listening to that inner voice though that something was wrong. Of course not all maintenance people do these things, but this case brought my experience back to me. They know a lot of what goes on in the complex, when people are around or not, their schedules, etc. It seems like Jorelys was a perfect victim without adequate supervision. I don't understand the brutality and rage though of her murder. I can only pray she was removed from that and died quickly.

Not that it matters now, but if Jorelys didn't have any supervision (and does that mean EVER on that day at the playground?), does that mean the little kids as well - the 1 and 4 year old?

On another note, about 20 years ago I lived in a very nice large apartment complex. My first apartment on my own without a roommate. I was moving up in the world. :great: I kept getting the feeling somebody had been in my apartment (things would be moved around I thought, just weird vibes). One day I asked somebody to come home with me at lunch (don't know why - again a weird vibe) to check out my apartment. We walked in and found a naked man - somebody I had seen around the complex many times. He was the maintenance guy and had been using his keys to come into my apartment. We ran out of the apartment, some gardeners helped tackle him and he was arrested. I am so thankful I kept listening to that inner voice though that something was wrong. Of course not all maintenance people do these things, but this case brought my experience back to me. They know a lot of what goes on in the complex, when people are around or not, their schedules, etc. It seems like Jorelys was a perfect victim without adequate supervision. I don't understand the brutality and rage though of her murder. I can only pray she was removed from that and died quickly.

I think the 4-year-old was at the playground unsupervised, because of the earlier report that Jorelys's sister had gotten cold and gone home. Also because of the neighbor report of having previously found her wandering the complex alone.

I am starting to think more and more the perpetrator was a juvenile, perhaps acting out his rage on poor Jorelys.

Regarding your super scary experience--wow, I am so glad you did listen to that inner voice and that the guy was caught. CREEPY!

Wow, that is different than I thought--she wasn't reported missing until 7!!

But the lack of supervision at the playground is what I thought. The babysitter was at the apartment and the two older girls (at least) were allowed to play outside freely.

Is it just me or is that worded as if Jorelys never had supervision at the playground by her sitter on Friday?

I wonder if this was a regular occurence? It would certainly explain part of what would make Jorelys attractive to her predator if he knew to expect her to come unsupervised most, if not all the time. He might have also been able to predict her route to and from the playground. It might also partially explain the DFCS history with the family, as this might have been the sitter's regular routine and the neighbors felt, in this particular apartment complex, that it was an unsafe situation.

The 7:15 initial call to police changes things a bit. Was the 5 pm last sighting by the sitter or by someone at the playground? (Would that change the direction Jorelys was walking?) If Jorelys came to get Cokes FROM the sitter at 5, she would have, according to the estimated time of death, run into her murderer on the way back to the playground. And perhaps she cut behind the building instead of in front (perhaps that was her habit, predator knew this.) Easier for him to nab her there if there's nothing behind the building but woods. So then ... the sitter who was never at the playground realized at complete dark (6:00 pm) that Jorelys never came home as expected, perhaps she's told to come in before dark, they searched themselves for an hour (door to door?), and then called police?

Just trying to figure out the timeline, all this is purely speculation.

Was the sitter ruled out? Also, is the sitter male or female? I assumed it was a female but have there been any reference to gender? Thanks.

Was the sitter ruled out? Also, is the sitter male or female? I assumed it was a female but have there been any reference to gender? Thanks.

The only people I've heard/read that LE does NOT consider suspects are the parents. I have read articles that the sitter is referred to as 'she', I believe. That could be correct information or it could be journalistic assumption (or misassumption!)

Oh, and they have said they've ruled out the registered sex offenders in the area.

Is it just me or is that worded as if Jorelys never had supervision at the playground by her sitter on Friday?

I wonder if this was a regular occurence? It would certainly explain part of what would make Jorelys attractive to her predator if he knew to expect her to come unsupervised most, if not all the time. He might have also been able to predict her route to and from the playground. It might also partially explain the DFCS history with the family, as this might have been the sitter's regular routine and the neighbors felt, in this particular apartment complex, that it was an unsafe situation.

The 7:15 initial call to police changes things a bit. Was the 5 pm last sighting by the sitter or by someone at the playground? (Would that change the direction Jorelys was walking?) If Jorelys came to get Cokes FROM the sitter at 5, she would have, according to the estimated time of death, run into her murderer on the way back to the playground. And perhaps she cut behind the building instead of in front (perhaps that was her habit, predator knew this.) Easier for him to nab her there if there's nothing behind the building but woods. So then ... the sitter who was never at the playground realized at complete dark (6:00 pm) that Jorelys never came home as expected, perhaps she's told to come in before dark, they searched themselves for an hour (door to door?), and then called police?

Just trying to figure out the timeline, all this is purely speculation.

What you describe sounds exactly right to me-- that the sitter routinely stayed in the apartment (watching the one-year-old?) while the other two girls were free to play outside without supervision (probably mother and sitter assumed it was safe, with many other kids and neighbors around), and that Jorelys returned to the apartment for drinks at 5pm, when she was last seen by the sitter, that she encountered her murderer(s) after leaving the apartment, headed back toward the playground, and that she was expected to turn up around dark or dinner time, and when she didn't they began a search and finally called LE. I think this sounds very plausible. But, again, completely speculation, based on the totality of what we have heard in the media, putting the bits and pieces together.

Keenan said investigators believe the crime, which has horrified many in the county, occurred inside an unlocked vacant apartment unit in a building adjacent to where she lived.

There were no signs of forced entry into the unit, Keenan noted.

Read more: Cherokee Tribune - Officials Canton girl 7 was stabbed died of blunt force trauma to the head
http://www.cherokeetribune.com/view...ce-trauma-to-the-head?instance=home_news_left

eta: this article also says the babysitter is 17 y/o

Some info that might help with the timeline.

December 07, 2011 12:00 AM

(note: Baker is id'ed as Lt. Jay Baker, spokesman for the Cherokee Sheriff’s Office earlier on in the article).

Info I have not seen published before now:

I am just sick to my stomach. That means the perp possibly had a few hours with her...

A playground with unsupervised children and unlocked vacant apartments nearby. A pedophile's dream. :furious:

I am not sure why DFCS did not take Jorelys and the siblings sooner. This makes me wonder if the killer knew the family. Could it be coincidence that Jorelys was taken at the time DFCS was working on the mother.

Building 10. Building 10.
All residents there need to heed....as if they don't by now, So many victims of a crime so appalling as that of a child. It is not the apartment property's fault.
It is the fault of a lone depraved person.
I don't think too many people are sleeping tonight....life got in the way. Death took over and it is not their fault. I feel for all the residents and managers of the property where the child died. It is sickening.

It most certainly IS the apartment community's fault. They allow sex offenders to rent there. They don't lock apartments which has been a no no in the industry for as long as I can remember.

You don't mix sex offenders with children - we look them up weekly to make sure no one has sipped in under the radar. This apartment community will be owned by the mother, mark my words.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/GA-Canton-River-Ridge-at-Canton.html

Read the entry from 3/31 - so weird because whomever wrote the review never mentions the body that was found. These ratings can only be edited by apartment ratings and that happens only when someone's full name is mentioned or threats are made.

Does the baby sitter also live in the same apartments? Did Jorelys go to her own apartment to get the drinks or to the baby sitter's? Possible the girls used the sitter's apartment so mom could sleep.

It most certainly IS the apartment community's fault. They allow sex offenders to rent there. They don't lock apartments which has been a no no in the industry for as long as I can remember.

You don't mix sex offenders with children - we look them up weekly to make sure no one has sipped in under the radar. This apartment community will be owned by the mother, mark my words.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/GA-Canton-River-Ridge-at-Canton.html

Read the entry from 3/31 - so weird because whomever wrote the review never mentions the body that was found. These ratings can only be edited by apartment ratings and that happens only when someone's full name is mentioned or threats are made.

Did you read the one from 10/17/2010?:eek: 4 women had been attacked?!?!? And the apartment manager did not want to hear about it.

There will be just one vigil for 7-year-old Jorelys Rivera now. It will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday at Heritage Park. Originally, there were two vigils planned, one on Wednesday at Heritage Park and another on Friday in front of the River Ridge apartment complex. "Out of respect for the complex and as a request of the Canton Police Department's ongoing investigation, we moved it to Heritage Park," organizer Tina Ryan said. "The two vigils have been combined for Friday night." For more information, go to http://www.facebook.com/events/146347572134229/.

http://canton-ga.patch.com/articles/gbi-killer-may-live-in-complex

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/16191206/police-find-missing-7-year-old-canton-child

in the video here ^ the reporter said she asked the apartment management what they planned to do re: safety... they said they plan on changing the gate code this week

(lotta good that will do if the perp is a resident of the complex and there are holes in the fence)

Not to mention, these are "limited access" gates, not security gates. All anyone has to do is wait for a car to come along and follow it in by car or on foot.

Did you read the one from 10/17/2010?:eek: 4 women had been attacked?!?!? And the apartment manager did not want to hear about it.

This is how all the apartments in the metro atl area are, they are either frightfully dangerous with violence and drugs or way too expensive to afford.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/16191206/police-find-missing-7-year-old-canton-child

in the video here ^ the reporter said she asked the apartment management what they planned to do re: safety... they said they plan on changing the gate code this week

(lotta good that will do if the perp is a resident of the complex and there are holes in the fence)

It's always so interesting to me, that sometimes after a tragedy a facility makes changes that won't help the problem. Changing the gate code won't help at all if it's determined the perp is a resident, as you say.

After the Columbine shootings, our schools here started namebadging all the parents who came through the doors, to keep unknown visitors out.

It's a huge headache for everyone, and the district doesn't seem to notice that wouldn't have changed anything at Columbine, to have the moms wearing name tags. When the problem is from within, tightening outside security doesn't help.

As others have mentioned, what this place needs is working surveillance cameras. THAT would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paul3398