GUILTY GA - Jorelys Rivera, 7, Canton, 2 Dec 2011 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
:waitasec: Was someone on lunch break?

I thought that for a second too, but it says he was on suicide watch at the Cherokee County jail. (Where he was until he plead guilty.)

He killed himself (allegedly!) at the state prison (Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison) in Jackson, Georgia, where he may or may not have been on suicide watch.

As another poster said, there is no chance another Haley Barbour will come along and release him twenty years from now.

This is a relief. He can't hurt anyone any more.

He killed himself (allegedly!) at the state prison (Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison) in Jackson, Georgia, where he may or may not have been on suicide watch.

Allegedly meaning someone may have taken him out?

Allegedly meaning someone may have taken him out?

Yes, but I kind of doubt it, honestly. It's ugly to admit, but I'd rather he'd had an unexpected 'assist' ... seeing as that's what he gave Jorelys.

But he was less than two days into to diagnostics and classification. I believe part of that is getting him analyzed to see where to place him within the prison and what kind of therapies he'd need, other services, etc. So I'd think he'd be isolated and not left alone with other prisoners at this point. (For his safety and that of the other prisoners.)

To the best of my knowledge, the family would have to prove the institution was negligent. As of right now, we don't even know how he died. For all we know it could have been a stroke or heart attack.

IMO, it would end up being an exercise in futility for the Brunn family. Even if they could prove negligence and win, the Rivera family could easily win the settlement (or more) from the Brunns in a civil suit, seeing as their son was responsible for the loss of Jorelys, their pain and suffering, Jorelys had her whole life ahead of her, and Ryan confessed to the crime.

But who knows how the family thinks. I believe an early article mentioned the adoptive mother was filing bankruptcy the day RB killed Jorelys (one month after he stopped living at home.)

The article mentioned that she'd been receiving ... 40,000 in adoption stipends from NY? (I'll try to find link) Perhaps the stipends dried up? Who knows.

(link)
http://www.ajc.com/news/ryan-brunns-trail-contains-1255081.html

The meager picture that emerges in Dahlonega is of a family under stress. In the bankruptcy filing, Whiteley listed her sole income over the past three years as child support and an "adoption stipend" received from the state of New York, where the family lived before coming to Georgia. In 2009 and 2010, the stipend came to $48,000; this year it was $40,000

IMO, it would end up being an exercise in futility for the Brunn family. Even if they could prove negligence and win, the Rivera family could easily win the settlement (or more) from the Brunns in a civil suit, seeing as their son was responsible for the loss of Jorelys, their pain and suffering, Jorelys had her whole life ahead of her, and Ryan confessed to the crime.

But who knows how the family thinks. I believe an early article mentioned the adoptive mother was filing bankruptcy the day RB killed Jorelys (one month after he stopped living at home.)

The article mentioned that she'd been receiving ... 40,000 in adoption stipends from NY? (I'll try to find link) Perhaps the stipends dried up? Who knows.

Yep. Here's your link to that NY stipend:
http://www.ajc.com/news/ryan-brunns-trail-contains-1255081.html

The meager picture that emerges in Dahlonega is of a family under stress. In the bankruptcy filing, Whiteley listed her sole income over the past three years as child support and an "adoption stipend" received from the state of New York, where the family lived before coming to Georgia. In 2009 and 2010, the stipend came to $48,000; this year it was $40,000.

The above article also talks about why the Police Chief resigned.

Canton Police Chief Jeff Lance resigned after a review revealed his department violated several of its own policies and made many mistakes in the search for Jorelys.

A 17-page review by LaGrange Police Chief Louis Dekmar said Lance and his department made a host of mistakes.

The inquiry said there was little doubt that Rivera was already dead by the time Canton police received the missing child report. But it said if another such report were handled in the same manner, police "may indeed miss an opportunity to save a victim's life."

My opinion is that inmates, especially repeat offenders coming back through Diagnostics before being placed again, or gang members going in, would have jumped at the chance to distract a guard somehow and slip in and kill him.

That's major street cred in a prison environment, I can imagine.

Got a question....The GBI is investigating his death,if they find out that he was on suicide watch and the guards were not watching him,can his family sue the state of Georgia? I know a dumb question,but I am thinking the money his family will make if they can sue!

Yes they can.

Let us hope he was on a suicide watch which every inmate charged/convicted of such charges should be for a while. Let us hope that he did it in a way that could not have been prevented.

Hi to all our Jorelys supporters...

It felt like I had been shocked, when I read about RB this evening. Literally, I jumped in my seat, and then started crying. Not out of sadness for him, but out of frustration, and some kind of disappointment, and lack of understanding how this could have happened...

It's been a :rollercoaster: in this case from Go, but especially with today's dual announcements of Lance's resignation and Brunn's apparent suicide.

We want Jorelys's posters to be able to express and vent some of the emotions today's developments have brought up.

But we need to you do it in a respectful way that abides by TOS.

Please remember the rules about no baiting (that means no posting of information in a manner that hints you know more than you can tell about a situation). Either provide links to back up/support your statements, or clearly mark them as opinion only.

And remember that even RB may have people out there who care about him and who are personally shocked and devastated not only by what he did to Jorelys, but also by his death. This is a very difficult moment to ask you to show RB or anyone associated with him compassion, I know. If you have a hard time with this, try typing out your response in Word and letting it sit for a few minutes before you decide to copy & post it here.

Thank you so much for your understanding and your restraint on a very difficult day.
Bumping

IMO All child killers should be dispensed with this kind of speed.Murderer to dead guy in under a month and a half.Sweet Justice IMO.

What. In. The. Hell???

http://www.ajc.com/news/canton-police-chief-quits-1308509.html

The police chief did not arrive on the scene until mid-morning on the day after the child went missing, and personnel described his demeanor as "laid back." He ultimately turned on a television to a University of Georgia football game.

"I do not understand why, having so many years as a police officer, he did not conduct the case how it should [have] been conducted," Jorelys' mother, Jocelyn Rivera, said Thursday through a translator.

"How could he not take things seriously?" she said. "I am sure there was discrimination against me because I am Latin and because I do not speak English. Maybe they could not prevent the death [of Jorelys], but at least they could have found her body earlier."

That's what I said, Mami Rivera!

Police failed to enter the child's information into the National Crime Information Center's Missing Person File until 23 hours after she was last seen.
Officers waited six hours after Jorelys' disappearance to initiate an immediate community notification protocol that uses the telephone system to deliver a recorded message about a missing child to residents in the vicinity.

Detectives did not arrive until more than two hours after the incident was reported

What. In. The. Hell???

http://www.ajc.com/news/canton-police-chief-quits-1308509.html

That's what I said, Mami Rivera!

AY POR DIOS en serio?!? I had no idea it was THAT sloppy, that is HORRIBLE and he should be ashamed of himself, watching a ball game? No puede ser, it can't really be. That is above and beyond shoddy and I had no idea they were THAT laid back. All of the talk about bad LE work is now justified in this case. 2 hours before they went to the scene?

First he pleads guilty and than commits suicide. He probably feared what life in prison would be as a child molester and killer.

AY POR DIOS en serio?!? I had no idea it was THAT sloppy, that is HORRIBLE and he should be ashamed of himself, watching a ball game? No puede ser, it can't really be. That is above and beyond shoddy and I had no idea they were THAT laid back. All of the talk about bad LE work is now justified in this case. 2 hours before they went to the scene?

Media was being critical of the search effort so the Sheriff's department outted the Police Chief, publicly, for not being onsite during the initial search, Police Chief smacks Sheriff's dept. back publicly, and a Sheriff's Deputy is humiliated and disciplined...Sheriff's department slaps back HARD with all these details (in 1/19 report), holding nothing back, and the Police Chief resigns.

Maybe that's all this is ... tit for tat. I've not seen anything like this in all the years I've been involved in and followed missing and murdered children cases. It was crazy enough before RB killed himself -an event which definitely takes the cake.

Last night, GBI director Vernon Keenan told Kevin Rowson that the life-without-parole sentence will be of help to law enforcement. "We will be able to study Brunn," Keenan said.

So much for that.

Last night, GBI director Vernon Keenan told Kevin Rowson that the life-without-parole sentence will be of help to law enforcement. "We will be able to study Brunn," Keenan said.

So much for that.

I'm afraid they won't even get an interview now that he's making his one way trip to hell.

7-year-old's killer commits suicide two days after pleading guilty

Ahhh...justice tastes pretty sweet today. Why can't we have more of this? Someone who actually admits it then takes their life.

I do wish this guy was able to be studied, but I certainly won't worry about it.

Source: http://www.ajc.com/news/77-year-olds-killer-1308952.html

I wonder what drama and bombshell awaits us tomorrow in this case........

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielfromlb
Back