GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just scanning the threads & the limited info from MSM. Did anyone else think it might be a hate crime? I'm not sure if she was "out" at her place of employment/ publicly, I know MSM named her girlfriend.
Do we know the autopsy results of the dog? I'm just curious who was injured/ hurt first.
A knife attack is in general very messy, I find it super hard to believe that the attacker would be able to get away from the scene without being noticed. Unless the clothes were dumped elsewhere.
I don't have a G-rated word to describe a person who attacks and kills a dog along with it's owner.
I sincerely hope her killer is found soon and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

We don't know hardly anything about this case, where it's at, or what LE has to go on, or even if they are paying attention to it anymore. The only articles I can find on it lately rehash the old info we already knew. It's frustrating and worrisome from the POV is a killer still out there? Seems like there are many, most of the time, but this one was particularly vicious and still has me worried about going anywhere at night. IMO

Has anyone read anything new about this case lately?

I think that night in particular was different from other Tues. nights for KJ & EC. As EC stated in MSM interviews, EC was normally off from work on Tues. but she had picked up that shift so she could be off to take KJ to the airport to visit her family & friends in Michigan. EC stated she was suppose to go Thur. 7/29 or 8/5? (She just stated Thur.) Don't know how long she planned to be gone on this trip...EC also had to work later than usual that night due to training new employee(s). If the killer knew her & had this info. maybe that motivated the killer to attack that night. IMO KJ's murder was planned thoroughly & KJ was stalked beforehand. EC may have also been stalked. I don't think KJ or EC personally knew the killer though.
Amateur speculation.

If the killer knew her and knew all these details what would be the motive for killing her? By all accounts she was super nice and had no problems with anyone. Just wondering what the motive could be other than "random".

We don't know hardly anything about this case, where it's at, or what LE has to go on, or even if they are paying attention to it anymore. The only articles I can find on it lately rehash the old info we already knew. It's frustrating and worrisome from the POV is a killer still out there? Seems like there are many, most of the time, but this one was particularly vicious and still has me worried about going anywhere at night. IMO

Has anyone read anything new about this case lately?

I am definitely disappointed that we haven't heard more. I am very patient in the first month or two after a crime, as it takes a while to interview people, review CCTV, etc. But now I am getting impatient. Atlanta citizens need to know if they are safe. Any updates are helpful. LE doesn't need to have solved the case, but ongoing communication with the community is important.

I should have been more clear on that point. I don't think the killer knew them (KJ & EC). I think he or she was around her as in co-employee, vendor, neighbor, or someone she came into contact with enough for this person to know her movements & stalk. This crime, as committed, had to of been planned in some fashion. No noise, no witnesses, no one seen fleeing covered in blood, etc.
As far as motive, from all the info we have been given, I can only speculate that something/anything about KJ triggered a violent rage in the killer.
IMOO

Last edited:
I am definitely disappointed that we haven't heard more. I am very patient in the first month or two after a crime, as it takes a while to interview people, review CCTV, etc. But now I am getting impatient. Atlanta citizens need to know if they are safe. Any updates are helpful. LE doesn't need to have solved the case, but ongoing communication with the community is important.

I couldn't agree more. This is a public safety issue and the public has the right to know if there is some crazed killer of women and dogs in parks is running around. Any type of communication would be better than nothing!

I couldn't agree more. This is a public safety issue and the public has the right to know if there is some crazed killer of women and dogs in parks is running around. Any type of communication would be better than nothing!

It seems like LEO keeps more information about investigations very closed. Either that, or media selectively decides to move on to other cases.

I have made my own theories, regarding potential "cold cases", that LEO knows who the perpetrator is, and doesn't have enough evidence to charge the perpetrator. It is frustrating though for the public.

Scanning through Atlantapd.org press releases to see if there was any updates in KJ's murder I noticed these 2 incidents most likely unrelated to the murders of KJ & Bowie. A shooting inside PP on 10/17/21 & a very odd aggravated assault that occurred 2 weeks after KJ's murder, but the incident report was not posted until 09/29/21. The AA incident caught my eye because a taser was used in the assault. This occurred about 3.5 miles from PP off of LenoScreenshot_2021-10-24-21-17-24-1.png Screenshot_2021-10-24-21-47-36-1.png Screenshot_2021-10-24-21-31-28-1-1.png x Rd. I had speculated earlier that KJ's killer might have used a stun gun/taser.

It seems like LEO keeps more information about investigations very closed. Either that, or media selectively decides to move on to other cases.

I have made my own theories, regarding potential "cold cases", that LEO knows who the perpetrator is, and doesn't have enough evidence to charge the perpetrator. It is frustrating though for the public.

That fits with the strange situation of the police not warning anyone to watch out for who might be in and around in Piedmont Park, or the ATL area in general. I mean, no warnings at all except the most general and vague stuff we've heard since grade school. "Be aware of your surroundings" etc. So if they have a perpetrator in mind why not just announce they have a suspect?

That fits with the strange situation of the police not warning anyone to watch out for who might be in and around in Piedmont Park, or the ATL area in general. I mean, no warnings at all except the most general and vague stuff we've heard since grade school. "Be aware of your surroundings" etc. So if they have a perpetrator in mind why not just announce they have a suspect?

There are a lot of cases like this, Kiera Coles, in Chicago, Orrin and Orson, in California. Those cases do not have a POI listed. No one has been arrested. Of course, the difference in those two cases, is no body was found in either case.

Here, we do have a body, and I believe that the police may have found DNA evidence. There should be enough evidence to at least identify the gender and race of the perpetrator, yet there has been no information released at all. It is mystifying.

Scanning through Atlantapd.org press releases to see if there was any updates in KJ's murder I noticed these 2 incidents most likely unrelated to the murders of KJ & Bowie. A shooting inside PP on 10/17/21 & a very odd aggravated assault that occurred 2 weeks after KJ's murder, but the incident report was not posted until 09/29/21. The AA incident caught my eye because a taser was used in the assault. This occurred about 3.5 miles from PP off of LenoView attachment 318766 View attachment 318767 View attachment 318768 x Rd. I had speculated earlier that KJ's killer might have used a stun gun/taser.

That taser incident is very strange. I hadn't heard about that one at all, but it sounds like the man was hired to tase her because he knew her name and where she lived. Very odd.

While I understand that Atlanta crime is very high, therefore a lot of crime for reporters to cover, I can't remember the last time this case was asked about or reported on specifically (I know someone will find a link giving the exact date). LE agencies have Public Information Officers.. Media, use those contacts!

My Questions -- Feel free to add your own, maybe we can forward these to a reporter.

How many personnel are still actively working the case and from which (or how many) agencies?
Did all of the witnesses from surveillance video come forward? If not, please renew the call for them to come forward.
Appx how many people have you spoken to in the investigation? How many tips have been called in and are ANY still being called in?
Are you still waiting for results of any physical evidence? Still going through digital evidence?
Can you give any more insight into whether Katie (and Bowie) was targeted for any reason or no reason to suggest that still?
Do you have any reason to believe this killer is still local or has moved on?
What is it going to take to solve this case? Time? More/different resources? A confession? Another crime being committed? A tip from the public?

While I understand that Atlanta crime is very high, therefore a lot of crime for reporters to cover, I can't remember the last time this case was asked about or reported on specifically (I know someone will find a link giving the exact date). LE agencies have Public Information Officers.. Media, use those contacts!

My Questions -- Feel free to add your own, maybe we can forward these to a reporter.

How many personnel are still actively working the case and from which (or how many) agencies?
Did all of the witnesses from surveillance video come forward? If not, please renew the call for them to come forward.
Appx how many people have you spoken to in the investigation? How many tips have been called in and are ANY still being called in?
Are you still waiting for results of any physical evidence? Still going through digital evidence?
Can you give any more insight into whether Katie (and Bowie) was targeted for any reason or no reason to suggest that still?
What is it going to take to solve this case? Time? More/different resources? A confession? Another crime being committed? A tip from the public?
Wow! LP those are great questions. The lastest post I've seen was Oct 14th by an online 'news' service that is not approved by WS. Although the info was 97% accurate IMO, it was pretty much the same as info we already have w/some questions as to why LE has not mentioned the case. I had to scroll thru about 30 pages to find it.
Edited as to not tell people what to do.

The local Atlanta TV stations were much more concerned with running wall-to-wall COVID stories rather than most other news in Atlanta. Hardly any mentions of shootings, murders, etc. At least this was the case for the stations I watch. I'm not saying COVID isn't news worthy. I'm just saying they ignored a lot of other news coverage for the past several months, especially WSB channel 2, to repeat the same COVID stories. I did notice that WSB has now pivoted back to covering more crime news - new stuff, no focus on old cases like this..

Rbibm.
Jamie Marlowe
August 24, 2021
Community on edge after Piedmont Park murder
''It has been nearly a month since a woman and her dog were found brutally stabbed to death just across the road from Midtown High School. With the person responsible still at large, some students are concerned for their safety.

“It’s nerve-racking knowing that a killer is on the loose,” senior J. R. said. “This is the kind of stuff that I watch in “Criminal Minds.” It really shouldn’t happen in real life.”

''Senior C. M. lives on the opposite side of the park from the crime scene.

“Since the murder, I haven’t been walking at night,” M said. “I try not to be coming home super late from anywhere, and I am just more vigilant altogether. This was an awful occurrence, and I really hope that they catch whoever did this.”

R works at Sean’s Heart of the Park, which is located not far from where the two bodies were found. The restaurant is taking new precautions since the murder, especially for those working later shifts. According to R, employees have been told to return to their cars together and walk in the street where lights and cameras are present.

“I know that they’re taking precautions, which is assuring, but still, of course, you’re going to be scared,” R said. “I mean as a girl, it’s terrifying literally anywhere. And after the murder, [there is] no way that I want to walk over there. It’s still really scary.”

''To all the guys who are going to read this story, just make sure that you protect your female or non-binary friends, and make sure that you’re keeping them safe,” Roode said. “If a murderer sees you with a man, there’s probably a lesser chance that they’ll attack. The [Midtown High] community really needs to become a community in that sense, where you’re looking out for your peers and trying to keep them safe no matter the circumstance.”

Good questions. I have a question too - was the Little Rock murderer ever caught or has a suspect been named in that case?
For awhile that person was being discussed as someone we thought could have moved on to Atlanta.
I haven't heard a thing about that killer lately either.

And I have more questions: Was the big memorial for Katie ever held with her mother there, and if not, did her mother ever come down to Atlanta and spend any time here as was being talked about? They raised a lot of money for a "memorial service" of some kind but I don't remember hearing about that happening.

Just wondering!

Crime here has skyrocketed and the police seem pretty lazy to me at times. They totally failed to do hardly anything with the case of Jenna disappearing here. We thought the silence meant they were on top of things and keeping things close. Nope, they did diddly squat. They didn't even go to her shared apt and investigate. The person she shared the apt with later just tossed her stuff out. The car she drove was never inspected. It was nuts. I'd be devastated if that was my child and so little was done to pursue what happened to her.

Someone posted on a local group here today about their husband having someone waving a gun at him and others on the interstate in Atlanta. They had photos of the car and clear identification of the license plate number. The PD said they can't do anything. Seriously? We have had insane amounts of people shot on the interstate here, people have photographic identifying evidence and they are doing nothing.

Soo I can tell you that I am not optimistic that this silence means they are on top of things. They collect a salary and pension no matter how bad a job they do.

Crime here has skyrocketed and the police seem pretty lazy to me at times. They totally failed to do hardly anything with the case of Jenna disappearing here. We thought the silence meant they were on top of things and keeping things close. Nope, they did diddly squat. They didn't even go to her shared apt and investigate. The person she shared the apt with later just tossed her stuff out. The car she drove was never inspected. It was nuts. I'd be devastated if that was my child and so little was done to pursue what happened to her.

Someone posted on a local group here today about their husband having someone waving a gun at him and others on the interstate in Atlanta. They had photos of the car and clear identification of the license plate number. The PD said they can't do anything. Seriously? We have had insane amounts of people shot on the interstate here, people have photographic identifying evidence and they are doing nothing.

Soo I can tell you that I am not optimistic that this silence means they are on top of things. They collect a salary and pension no matter how bad a job they do.

Wow. That's very discouraging. :(

I find that I lean towards the 'naive' side of things...always expecting the best of people, but that's gradually being beaten out of me. <sigh>

This applies to crime and politics. I recently retired and I had hoped that world would continue to improve, but I guess humans will be 'human', flaws and all.

Wow. That's very discouraging. :(

I find that I lean towards the 'naive' side of things...always expecting the best of people, but that's gradually being beaten out of me. <sigh>

This applies to crime and politics. I recently retired and I had hoped that world would continue to improve, but I guess humans will be 'human', flaws and all.
I don't necessarily think it's that the police are lazy, but that the staffing levels are so far below where they need to be - made worse by rising crime rates.
Atlanta has had a huge officer attrition problem for well over a year. As of October 1, 2021 the force is short around 430 officers.

Good questions. I have a question too - was the Little Rock murderer ever caught or has a suspect been named in that case?
For awhile that person was being discussed as someone we thought could have moved on to Atlanta.
I haven't heard a thing about that killer lately either.

And I have more questions: Was the big memorial for Katie ever held with her mother there, and if not, did her mother ever come down to Atlanta and spend any time here as was being talked about? They raised a lot of money for a "memorial service" of some kind but I don't remember hearing about that happening.

Just wondering!
I too have been wondering if a memorial was held. I wasn’t able to find any coverage of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member