GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any updates on the case?

Only a story from about a week ago saying nothing new.

"Officials have kept the investigation very quiet, saying only that they have identified possible witnesses to her death."

Still few answers to 'gruesome' Piedmont Park murder 3 months later

IMO If LE is keeping the investigation quiet it means they have no suspects and have no breaks in the case, but what does that mean to anyone else?

"witnesses to her death" means they have witnesses that we don't know about??

I'd like to think they are making progress on this!

The time stamps on the rainbow crosswalk pic & possible witness photos/videos have been questioned in thread one. IMO I think they are correct. Don't see any reason LE would release them to MSM if they were inaccurate. There has been some gaps in time that can't be explained due to lack of info. I.e. EC stated in interview w/MSM that KJ left Henry's at 11:30 pm. The next time shown is 12:09am in the rainbow crosswalk. It should not have taken 39 minutes to walk from 10th & Juniper to 10th & Piedmont with a young 3 yr old dog. IMO either KJ & Bowie took a detour, made a stop or EC stated the incorrect time. Also IMO I have always leaned towards the idea that KJ & Bowie entered the park at the end of the 'little' 11th street where there is a doggie waste station & walkway going towards 10th St.
I'm an Atlanta native and been to Piedmont park several times. The bad part is there's so many entrances that the killer could've used to enter the park undetected. The killer was familiar with the area and more than likely had some interaction with KJ. I think it was a patron the visited that bar frequently or someone in love with the girlfriend. Nothing has been said about the symbol carved on the body. Wonder how long before a cold case detective gets this case. Surely detectives overlooked evidence.

I'm an Atlanta native and been to Piedmont park several times. The bad part is there's so many entrances that the killer could've used to enter the park undetected. The killer was familiar with the area and more than likely had some interaction with KJ. I think it was a patron the visited that bar frequently or someone in love with the girlfriend. Nothing has been said about the symbol carved on the body. Wonder how long before a cold case detective gets this case. Surely detectives overlooked evidence.
I agree in part. The killer likely is very familiar with the area and probably didn't enter/exit through one of the actual entrances. So I don't think anyone caught on camera is the killer. But I am undecided on whether the killer knew KJ or not. I am still 50/50 on whether she was targeted individually or if she was just a random victim. <modsnip: No MSM link to substantiate>

Last edited by a moderator:
Crime here has skyrocketed and the police seem pretty lazy to me at times. They totally failed to do hardly anything with the case of Jenna disappearing here. We thought the silence meant they were on top of things and keeping things close. Nope, they did diddly squat. They didn't even go to her shared apt and investigate. The person she shared the apt with later just tossed her stuff out. The car she drove was never inspected. It was nuts. I'd be devastated if that was my child and so little was done to pursue what happened to her.

Someone posted on a local group here today about their husband having someone waving a gun at him and others on the interstate in Atlanta. They had photos of the car and clear identification of the license plate number. The PD said they can't do anything. Seriously? We have had insane amounts of people shot on the interstate here, people have photographic identifying evidence and they are doing nothing.

Soo I can tell you that I am not optimistic that this silence means they are on top of things. They collect a salary and pension no matter how bad a job they do.

I had no idea it was that bad.
This makes me wonder - did Katie's mother ever come to Atlanta from Michigan for a memorial or to push for action on the case?
When some young men were shot in Georgia over the last two years, I can think of two or three, very little to nothing was going on to solve those cases until their MOTHERS got involved in pushing and pushing hard for justice for their deaths. The latest one I can think of is Ahmaud Abery. His mother is very involved in his case and has become a very visible advocate for justice for her son's death.

I'm wondering if Katie's mother has been able to be a kind of advocate for her daughter, and I'm guessing she can't for some reason because I have seen nothing indicating she came to Atlanta and spent much or any time here. I don't live in Midtown though so maybe she was here and it wasn't covered in the local news.

JMO

I had no idea it was that bad.
This makes me wonder - did Katie's mother ever come to Atlanta from Michigan for a memorial or to push for action on the case?
When some young men were shot in Georgia over the last two years, I can think of two or three, very little to nothing was going on to solve those cases until their MOTHERS got involved in pushing and pushing hard for justice for their deaths. The latest one I can think of is Ahmaud Abery. His mother is very involved in his case and has become a very visible advocate for justice for her son's death.

I'm wondering if Katie's mother has been able to be a kind of advocate for her daughter, and I'm guessing she can't for some reason because I have seen nothing indicating she came to Atlanta and spent much or any time here. I don't live in Midtown though so maybe she was here and it wasn't covered in the local news.

JMO

It's sad but it does seem like it takes others pushing exposure of a case to get someone done. I've followed some local cases and the ones who have gotten more results and closure were people constantly talking on social media and active pursuing investigating things themselves.

I'm pretty shocked though that as violent and public as this horrific crime was I'm not seeing real updates on it. Maybe her family is not very involved in her life or not really up to the challenge of pushing something like this in the media. I'm surprised I don't see updates in here about her wife seeking justice either. The case is just kind of dead already.

But then people ask why some cases get all the attention and others don't? I am not entirely sure but it does seem that it comes just as much from bystanders and family pushing it in the public eye even more than the media being responsible.

Crime here has skyrocketed and the police seem pretty lazy to me at times. They totally failed to do hardly anything with the case of Jenna disappearing here. We thought the silence meant they were on top of things and keeping things close. Nope, they did diddly squat. They didn't even go to her shared apt and investigate. The person she shared the apt with later just tossed her stuff out. The car she drove was never inspected. It was nuts. I'd be devastated if that was my child and so little was done to pursue what happened to her.

Someone posted on a local group here today about their husband having someone waving a gun at him and others on the interstate in Atlanta. They had photos of the car and clear identification of the license plate number. The PD said they can't do anything. Seriously? We have had insane amounts of people shot on the interstate here, people have photographic identifying evidence and they are doing nothing.

Soo I can tell you that I am not optimistic that this silence means they are on top of things. They collect a salary and pension no matter how bad a job they do.
Grrrrrrr.

I will never forget Jenna's poor sweet brother trying so hard to find her.

I had hoped the utterly horrific nature of what happened to Katie (and the likelihood that someone capable of that level of brutality will do something awful again) would motivate police to solve this one quickly. Very frustrating.

Just saw this ad for CSI Atlanta on Channel 46 Atlanta, WGCL-TV while watching local news....

CSI Atlanta

CSI Atlanta is covering this case and interviewing Emma on this show Monday night at 6:00 pm ET.

One of the questions covered in the ad for the show: "How did her partner spend $80,000?"

Then a clip from Emma quotes her as saying, "I know some people ask why wasn't it used for the reward....?

So from this I can surmise the money is spent or somehow used .... There was no apparent memorial (it would have made local news and there was nothing) and it didn't go to the reward fund. (my speculation)

Monday night 6pm! There might even be some answers.

If you are not local to the ATL area I'm not sure how you can watch, but this will be on the major Atlanta CBS News channel

CSI Atlanta

It's sad but it does seem like it takes others pushing exposure of a case to get someone done. I've followed some local cases and the ones who have gotten more results and closure were people constantly talking on social media and active pursuing investigating things themselves.

I'm pretty shocked though that as violent and public as this horrific crime was I'm not seeing real updates on it. Maybe her family is not very involved in her life or not really up to the challenge of pushing something like this in the media. I'm surprised I don't see updates in here about her wife seeking justice either. The case is just kind of dead already.

But then people ask why some cases get all the attention and others don't? I am not entirely sure but it does seem that it comes just as much from bystanders and family pushing it in the public eye even more than the media being responsible.

Nothing local from KJ's mother in the news. No indication she was ever in Atlanta pleading for justice for her daughter. We often see murder victims' parents or family members on the local news here demanding justice, but in the case of KJ, I have never seen that on local news. I might have missed it. IMO
Maybe there is something going on more locally in Midtown?

Emma was not KJ's wife...they were not married.

Just saw this ad for CSI Atlanta on Channel 46 Atlanta, WGCL-TV while watching local news....

CSI Atlanta

CSI Atlanta is covering this case and interviewing Emma on this show Monday night at 6:00 pm ET.

One of the questions covered in the ad for the show: "How did her partner spend $80,000?"

Then a clip from Emma quotes her as saying, "I know some people ask why wasn't it used for the reward....?

So from this I can surmise the money is spent or somehow used .... There was no apparent memorial (it would have made local news and there was nothing) and it didn't go to the reward fund. (my speculation)

Monday night 6pm! There might even be some answers.

If you are not local to the ATL area I'm not sure how you can watch, but this will be on the major Atlanta CBS News channel

CSI Atlanta

What?! Where did 80k come from? Was it from a fund-me?

Weird. o_O

What?! Where did 80k come from? Was it from a fund-me?

Weird. o_O

Yes, they raised money on that well known platform and it went WAY over the initial goal amount. Initially the money was to be for a memorial and as time went on the reasons for the money evolved into other things, including a way for Emma to restart her life, (even though she was not married to Katie) and allegedly give some of the money to Katie's mom. I hope we get some answers on where all that went, in the CBS story tonight.
A LOT of people had such goodwill and generosity towards Emma when this case was brand new. I think that has "evolved" somewhat too. JMO

I'm putting MOO here for the whole post because I can't link to the platform where she raised the funds. If you search for it, you can see how the reasons for all of it "evolved".

MOO

Yes, they raised money on that well known platform and it went WAY over the initial goal amount. Initially the money was to be for a memorial and as time went on the reasons for the money evolved into other things, including a way for Emma to restart her life, (even though she was not married to Katie) and allegedly give some of the money to Katie's mom. I hope we get some answers on where all that went, in the CBS story tonight.
A LOT of people had such goodwill and generosity towards Emma when this case was brand new. I think that has "evolved" somewhat too. JMO

I'm putting MOO here for the whole post because I can't link to the platform where she raised the funds. If you search for it, you can see how the reasons for all of it "evolved".

MOO

For those that missed it, you can see the video here.

EXCLUSIVE: Partner of the woman found slain with her dog in Piedmont Park speaks with CBS46

Emma said in this interview that she spent about 75% of the money raised on paying off her own debts and moving out of Midtown.

For those who didn't read the initial page on the well known website that raises money for people, the purpose of the donations changed from memorial and reward, to giving some of the money to Katie's mother, which wasn't mentioned in this interviewed aired on CBS tonight. That may well have happened with the 25% ? Instead in the video Emma states she used about 75% of the money, or about $59,000, for herself and her own debts.

(This in the interview at the CBS News link posted above).

She also said the police have not yet "cleared her name" publicly though it's implied they have done that to her personally and when CBS46 Atlanta asked the police why they haven't cleared Emma's name, the police responded with a statement that is in the interview. Pretty standard police statement that doesn't answer the question, IMO.

Emma's Dad also told CBS46 that the police found male DNA "on her" (on Katie) and that she had been sexually assaulted. That is brand new information. It begs the question to me of how that could all have happened in a 30-45 minute period of time with NO ONE seeing anything taking place: Murder the dog, sexually assault Katie, murder Katie. That's a lot of stuff happening not too far from a popular park's entrance when people were around. It only creates more questions in my mind.

MOO and some speculation

OH - here's a quote from the article linked to above:

"Clark used about 75 percent of the roughly $79,000 raised in the "Katie Gone Too Soon" ***** campaign to pay for her new condo, with the rest going towards Janess' funeral service and a charitable donation."

For those that missed it, you can see the video here.

EXCLUSIVE: Partner of the woman found slain with her dog in Piedmont Park speaks with CBS46
Emma's Dad also told CBS46 that the police found male DNA "on her" (on Katie) and that she had been sexually assaulted. That is brand new information. It begs the question to me of how that could all have happened in a 30-45 minute period of time with NO ONE seeing anything taking place: Murder the dog, sexually assault Katie, murder Katie. That's a lot of stuff happening not too far from a popular park's entrance when people were around. It only creates more questions in my mind.

Snipped by me... it is a lot happening in a short time frame but it goes back to something I (and others) speculated about since the beginning. The park was known for people sometimes seeking sexual encounters in the dark, correct? People who used the park after hours may have been used to seeing or expecting to see sexual activity. They might not have been expecting to see nonconsensual activity or assault happening and they might not have known what they were seeing or wanted to look very closely.

To me it is no surprise that this murder had sexual assault components. Stabbing and mutilation, if the perpetrator is a stranger to the victim, is likely to have sexual motivation (see piquerism).

One of the many disturbing things about this is that a person who achieved sexual satisfaction from a murder like this is unlikely to just completely stop what he is doing of his own volition and there is a very good chance that there will be further victims of one kind or another (the type of acts he carries out during the murder may change as he experiments and evolves his fantasies, however, so the next crime may not be 100% like this one in every respect). All MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussyDog