GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes she could have entered on the Piedmont side for sure. That’s a longer walk if she went in at 12th and Piedmont and was headed to exit at the Charles Allen gate when was attacked. She would have gone deeper into the center of the park and perhaps was followed and the murderer struck before she left. I do strongly feel like she was headed out of the park when she was attacked but unsure where exactly she entered.

The photo of her crossing the rainbow crosswalk appears to me to be the SW corner in front of X Midtown. She’s headed north. I think this is correct based on someone confirming it on Next Door right after the murder. If this is the case I don’t know why she’s on that side of the street. Henry’s, where Emma worked, is on the north side of the street. If she is in front of X, that’s a stone’s throw from Campagnolo, where Katie worked. She probably stopped by there after Henry’s and was headed to to the park.

From the SW corner, she could have continued straight north up Piedmont, crossed Piedmont at 10th, 11th or 12th and entered the park at 12th and Piedmont. Or she could have crossed again in front of Flying Biscuit and walked east down 10th and entered anywhere along 10th.

I haven’t seen any information about which option it was or why she was on the opposite side of the street that Henry’s is on if she went directly to the park. Also, if she stopped in to Henry’s at 11:30 to see Emma and is shown crossing on the rainbow crosswalk at 12:09, that doesn’t make sense. It’s a 5 minute walk from Henry’s to the rainbow crosswalks at 10th & Piedmont.

I would agree that entering off of 10th somewhere near Argonne would seem the easiest. But she could have gone up Piedmont and entered at a couple of places there without being caught on camera I believe. I believe Police said that the image of Katie crossing the rainbow crosswalk is the last known image of her, so she apparently did not enter through Charles Allen. Although I wonder if perhaps she wasn't about to exit there when attacked.

Yes she could have entered on the Piedmont side for sure. That’s a longer walk if she went in at 12th and Piedmont and was headed to exit at the Charles Allen gate when was attacked. She would have gone deeper into the center of the park and perhaps was followed and the murderer struck before she left. I do strongly feel like she was headed out of the park when she was attacked but unsure where exactly she entered.

The photo of her crossing the rainbow crosswalk appears to me to be the SW corner in front of X Midtown. She’s headed north. I think this is correct based on someone confirming it on Next Door right after the murder. If this is the case I don’t know why she’s on that side of the street. Henry’s, where Emma worked, is on the north side of the street. If she is in front of X, that’s a stone’s throw from Campagnolo, where Katie worked. She probably stopped by there after Henry’s and was headed to to the park.

From the SW corner, she could have continued straight north up Piedmont, crossed Piedmont at 10th, 11th or 12th and entered the park at 12th and Piedmont. Or she could have crossed again in front of Flying Biscuit and walked east down 10th and entered anywhere along 10th.

I haven’t seen any information about which option it was or why she was on the opposite side of the street that Henry’s is on if she went directly to the park. Also, if she stopped in to Henry’s at 11:30 to see Emma and is shown crossing on the rainbow crosswalk at 12:09, that doesn’t make sense. It’s a 5 minute walk from Henry’s to the rainbow crosswalks at 10th & Piedmont.

I would agree that entering off of 10th somewhere near Argonne would seem the easiest. But she could have gone up Piedmont and entered at a couple of places there without being caught on camera I believe. I believe Police said that the image of Katie crossing the rainbow crosswalk is the last known image of her, so she apparently did not enter through Charles Allen. Although I wonder if perhaps she wasn't about to exit there when attacked.

The guy in white I think with the cane is exiting the Piedmont/12st st exit at 12:25. That is about the soonest the attack could occur and he is on the wrong side of the park. But he could very well have seen someone else in the park. I can't seem to find the photo of the hoddie guy now.
Attaching a still from link of cammo hoodie guy(about 1m20sec in). This news story also contains EC's 911 call, 1st short video of her, video taken a few hrs after murders showing JC talking to police at 10th & CA & a daytime shot from the intersection showing part if 10th St going towards Monroe Dr.
911 call and new video in Piedmont Park murder shed light on a timeline
Screenshot_2021-11-23-19-32-03.png

Are there plenty of waste receptacles for the doggy bags, would that be a reason for KJ to walk in any particular direction?
At the end of 11th St (a narrow st between 2 residential bldgs about 3 flrs high) there is a doggy waste station & the walk way that goes toward 10th St at Argonne & the other way goes behind the restaurant at the 12th St. entrance.

Is anybody good at making maps? It would be helpful to have one showing things like the entrances, streets, location of Katie's body and her dog, location of other people spotted walking that night, the other parts of the park people have mentioned, both restaurants they worked at, the location of their apartment, etc.?

The guy in white I think with the cane is exiting the Piedmont/12st st exit at 12:25. That is about the soonest the attack could occur and he is on the wrong side of the park. But he could very well have seen someone else in the park. I can't seem to find the photo of the hoddie guy now.

You are absolutely correct. It was the Piedmont entry/exit, not 10th St. They look so similar. I think the guy with the camo hoody also left from Piedmont.

Here is an attempt at a map. It shows Henry's, Campagnolo's, the Charles Allen Drive entrance, the 12th St. entrance, and possibly their apartment on North Avenue (not completely sure if that was their address).

ETA: look for the blue markers with yellow dots on them.

Attachments

• upload_2021-11-23_21-36-51.png
    upload_2021-11-23_21-36-51.png
    886.6 KB · Views: 79
Here is an attempt at a map. It shows Henry's, Campagnolo's, the Charles Allen Drive entrance, the 12th St. entrance, and possibly their apartment on North Avenue (not completely sure if that was their address).

that is a good map. shows relevant positions. I do think that it is possible that Katie's route that night might be relevant. I'm not sure, but its possible.

The street between The Flying Biscuit Cafe & the 12th St entrance is 11th St (that white line). This is were I speculate KJ & Bowie entered the park.
I did a search right after this happened & found an address for EC & KJ on Piedmont, just 4 doors down from Campagnola. Street view on Google Maps shows 2 small brick apt bldgs that are older. IMO this is where they were living. The apt on North Ave caught on fire in 2017 & IMO they moved here.
JMOO
Screenshot_2021-11-24-09-05-13-1.png
Screenshot_2021-11-24-09-02-29-1.png
Edited by me to add pics.

Last edited:
The street between The Flying Biscuit Cafe & the 12th St entrance is 11th St (that white line). This is were I speculate KJ & Bowie entered the park.
I did a search right after this happened & found an address for EC & KJ on Piedmont, just 4 doors down from Campagnola. Street view on Google Maps shows 2 small brick apt bldgs that are older. IMO this is where they were living. The apt on North Ave caught on fire in 2017 & IMO they moved here.
JMOO
View attachment 323880
View attachment 323884
Great research! Thank you for sharing this information.

When I look at the photo of Katie crossing the rainbow crosswalk, she is clearly crossing south to north, on the west side of the intersection. As you mentioned, this is a little odd. If Emma's explanation and time line is correct, Katie visited her at Henry's about 11:30. Henry's is on the north side of 10th. So after leaving Henry's, Katie and Bowie went on a jaunt somewhere before going to the park. In looking at the photo, I think (and its just my opinion) it looks as though Katie is angling slightly to the east as if she has been walking east on 10th, then crosses north across 10th, but intending to cross to the east side of Piedmont. This would seem to make sense if she is headed to the park, whether she is intending to do so via 10th or somewhere up Piedmont (11th, 12th). But the time stamp seems to show that she and Bowie had walked somewhere else before. So she and Bowie had been on a long walk, over an hour. Maybe that was normal for them, just don't know. Did Katie carry water for Bowie? or did she know where to stop at places for him to drink? It may be irrelevant where she entered the park, but maybe not. If she walked up 10th and entered, or entered at 11th or 12th (there appear to be 2 12th streets, the tiny alley and then the main entrance) all the entrances are pretty close. It has been mentioned that homeless often were at the SW corner on the benches there, which you can see on google earth. So if there were homeless folks there, they almost certainly would have seen Katie and Bowie enter the park regardless of which way they entered. Since they had been on a long walk already in the city, I would think Katie would then just let Bowie walk in the grass and not stick to the walkway. There was a pretty good moon that night (waning gibbous). so if Katie was followed into the park, someone specifically targeting her, they would need to follow her until she got to a place where an attack wouldn't be seen, that would be away from the potential homeless people at the corner of the park, and out of the open grassy area, and into the tree covered area around the Charles Allen gate. OR, the killer was already in the gate area, waiting for a victim to appear. Emma said that Katie didn't have a set routine for walks. So if the killer was waiting at Charles Allen, it would seem to be a random attack. It it was targeted, the killer must have followed her into the park somehow. So I would want to know (1), were there homeless folks at the corner benches of the park and (2) what did they see? IF they can be identified and interviewed (which is difficult.)

JMOO
View attachment 323880
View attachment 323884

I assumed it was the Piedmont address that burned down. If you look at google street view, and back it up to 2007, there was a white brick building (next to the red one you pictured ) but now it is a vacant lot. I'll do some more digging to see what I can find.

JMOO
View attachment 323880
View attachment 323884

Should I take my map down since the location of their apt is probably not right?

Relative to the apparent gap in time after Katie stopped at Henry’s, didn’t it say somewhere that she may have stopped by the restaurant where she works which is close by Henry’s and the Park?

LE would have interviewed anybody working at Henry’s that night and also at Campagnolo’s if she went by there, presumably.

I just listened to the above podcast and have done some reading about this case. My first instinct was could this be someone with an obsession for either the victim or the victims partner? I used to work in a restaurant/bar and there were many people who would come in to specifically hang around certain bartenders (in a creepy way). Perhaps someone saw them visiting and became extremely jealous, could even be someone totally unknown. Just a guy sitting at the bar who saw her as “competition.”

Relative to the apparent gap in time after Katie stopped at Henry’s, didn’t it say somewhere that she may have stopped by the restaurant where she works which is close by Henry’s and the Park?

LE would have interviewed anybody working at Henry’s that night and also at Campagnolo’s if she went by there, presumably.
I have hears that Katie stopped at her work, Campagnolo's earlier. But that restaurant is south on Piedmont a block or so. In the photo, to me, it looks like Katie is walking as if she was coming off the sidewalk coming east on 10th. Maybe I am wrong. I would think the police would have talked to the staff to see if she had been there and when.

I just listened to the above podcast and have done some reading about this case. My first instinct was could this be someone with an obsession for either the victim or the victims partner? I used to work in a restaurant/bar and there were many people who would come in to specifically hang around certain bartenders (in a creepy way). Perhaps someone saw them visiting and became extremely jealous, could even be someone totally unknown. Just a guy sitting at the bar who saw her as “competition.”
I haven't listened to the podcast yet but hope to this evening. But I have also thought that perhaps the killer is someone obsessed or interested in Emma and wanted Katie out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo