GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean you think it could have been multiple weapons, aka, 2 people?

I have been watching this case from the beginning. I am from that area, and this hits close to home.

For some reason, I really think it was more than one person. I just can’t imagine one person being able to do all of the things they did, take her down, take a large dog down…..all while both of them are fighting…..and manage to overtake them both (with no noise.) blows my mind. I know that area well, and right outside that gate are TONS of townhomes and condos. Any noise…..someone would have been close enough to hear.
It could have been more than one person. That would help explain some things. But could also just be one person who carried two or more weapons. It seems to me that one or two attackers, they should have been covered in blood.

I forgot to add…..I have a ton of questions. These are all just thoughts I have and of course no one has the answers on here, but I’m going to post them anyways:

1. Why did ADP release the autopsy to the media, for on ongoing active, high profile murder case? Weird.

2. How in the heck did the killer leave the scene and no one saw their bloody, drippy self? Also, no camera saw someone leaving while bathed in blood? So….they must have left through the tree line on the side—-or walked through the whole park to exit (but that’s risky bc there were other people in the park that night according to CCTV)

3. I don’t think this was a SK….I think it was someone from the restaurant….I don’t know why, I just do.

4. Why the word F A T? She was not fat, at all. Does it mean something else? Did she piss someone off by turning down their advances, and maybe she made a joke that they were fat? And that set them off. Also, if she did make a co worker mad or someone from EC’s bar….how did EC not know if this incident? Do they not talk about things like that?

I forgot to add…..I have a ton of questions. These are all just thoughts I have and of course no one has the answers on here, but I’m going to post them anyways:

1. Why did ADP release the autopsy to the media, for on ongoing active, high profile murder case? Weird.

2. How in the heck did the killer leave the scene and no one saw their bloody, drippy self? Also, no camera saw someone leaving while bathed in blood? So….they must have left through the tree line on the side—-or walked through the whole park to exit (but that’s risky bc there were other people in the park that night according to CCTV)

3. I don’t think this was a SK….I think it was someone from the restaurant….I don’t know why, I just do.

4. Why the word F A T? She was not fat, at all. Does it mean something else? Did she piss someone off by turning down their advances, and maybe she made a joke that they were fat? And that set them off. Also, if she did make a co worker mad or someone from EC’s bar….how did EC not know if this incident? Do they not talk about things like that?
In response to your good questions, one thing needs to be made clear. The Atl PD did not release the autopsy report nor have any LE official commented about it.
"ATLANTA — A medical examiner has released an autopsy report for Katie Janness, the woman who was killed in Piedmont Park earlier this year."
Piedmont Park murder autopsy | 11alive.com
"When asked if they could clear Clark's name, APD released the following statement:

The investigation into the murder of Katherine Janness remains open and very active. Our investigators continue working tirelessly to find the person(s) responsible. We understand it is frustrating for there to be so little information released publicly. However, to ensure the investigation isn't compromised, we simply cannot release much information on our active investigation. We know how important this case is to those in our communities and we will continue our work to bring this investigation to a resolution.
Your second question I can only speculate, that is IMO, the killer or killers were on motorcycles parked in trees, maybe behind the restroom bldg., put on helmets & leather jackets & rode out onto 10th St. out of camera range."
EXCLUSIVE: Partner of woman found slain in Piedmont Park pleads for APD to clear her name
As to questions 3 & 4 only the killer(s) know & unfortunately, only time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping this from yesterday i think they may have been killed somewhere else. I know it seems crazy but this attack, the details we have learned.. if they attack happened where they were found someone should have seen or heard something. This attack took some time. They were found in a very public location. Also, there have not been any reports of witnesses seeing a blood soaked person in the area or a trail of blood leading away from the scene.

It's true... how did the killer/s avoid leaving a blood trail?

If Bowie and Katie were not killed where they were found then the location of the killings would likely be quite close. And, it would have taken at least two people to transport and place the bodies in the park (imo). How would they move two bodies... garbage bags, rugs?? Not an impossibility so I'm trying to make some guesses as to how this might have happened.

Any reports of police being called to an area nearby responding to screams, yells, barking dog ?? (long shot)

Last edited:
It's true... how did the killer/s avoid leaving a blood trail?

If Bowie and Katie were not killed where they were found then the location of the killings would likely be quite close. And, it would have taken at least two people to transport and place the bodies in the park (imo). How would they move two bodies... garbage bags, rugs?? Not an impossibility so I'm trying to make some guesses as to how this might have happened.

Any reports of police being called to an area nearby responding to screams, yells, barking dog ?? (long shot)
I don't believe any info has been given as to whether or not there was any blood trails. Looking at MSM videos that were taken that early morning, IMO I see a large area taped off beginning near the 10th & CA entrance going east down 10th about 100 ft then into the park where the bodies were found covering all that area w/trees & the restroom bldg. There were other areas, further into the park, taped off that included a walkway near the lake near a bench to an overgrown part of the lake & back up to the area of the bodies. A reporter interviewed a woman that morning in the park & you can see the yellow tape behind her. I can't locate that video anymore. MSM videos show dozens of LEO, detectives, K-9's & FCME on scene between 1:30 am- 7:30am. Then officers were present all day & the next night in that immediate area. LE returned at least twice in the following 2 wks to search the lake for hrs, remove evidence (tree limb((s)), & canvas the park. Of course, if they found anything at all they haven't released it to the public.
I still speculate KJ received injury to the neck immediately rendering her unable to make a sound & Bowie was killed seconds later.
JMOO

Found this interesting even if not directly a possibility in this case, but just in case- does the bathroom at the park have special garbage cans for feminine products?
If so, were they checked? complete speculation, imo. fwiw

July 28 2021
Did a suspect hide blood evidence in plain sight?
''It's a fact. Many people are squeamish when it comes to talking about bodily functions like a woman's monthly menstruation. So, did a young suspect take advantage of that discomfort to get away with two murders? Did she clean up a blood trail and place the evidence out in the open, knowing that male investigators wouldn't take a closer look? That could explain why a case that took place more than a century ago continues to baffle crime experts to this day.''

''The circumstantial evidence pointed to Lizzie. And yet, where was the blood? Investigators were stumped by a lack of blood evidence linking Lizzie to the murders. Abby Borden, who was murdered first in an upstairs bedroom, had been struck as many as 19 times. Andrew, struck while sleeping on a couch, was hit multiple times in the head. If Lizzie was the killer, wouldn't she be covered in blood spatter? Wouldn't she have left a trail of blood?''

Found this interesting even if not directly a possibility in this case, but just in case- does the bathroom at the park have special garbage cans for feminine products?

July 28 2021
''It's a fact. Many people are squeamish when it comes to talking about bodily functions like a woman's monthly menstruation. So, did a young suspect take advantage of that discomfort to get away with two murders? Did she clean up a blood trail and place the evidence out in the open, knowing that male investigators wouldn't take a closer look? That could explain why a case that took place more than a century ago continues to baffle crime experts to this day.''

''The circumstantial evidence pointed to Lizzie. And yet, where was the blood? Investigators were stumped by a lack of blood evidence linking Lizzie to the murders. Abby Borden, who was murdered first in an upstairs bedroom, had been struck as many as 19 times. Andrew, struck while sleeping on a couch, was hit multiple times in the head. If Lizzie was the killer, wouldn't she be covered in blood spatter? Wouldn't she have left a trail of blood?''

Menstrual blood is actually different, histologically, from regular blood and so the difference could be discerned (with the technology we have now of course). Your point is good that LE would first have to suspect that some evidence had been hidden in this manner - but if they did think of it, it would be simple for them to find out.

July 28 2021

Interesting but how could the killer hide all evidence in a pad/tampon receptacle?! I’m not sure I follow.

Menstrual blood is actually different, histologically, from regular blood and so the difference could be discerned (with the technology we have now of course). Your point is good that LE would first have to suspect that some evidence had been hidden in this manner - but if they did think of it, it would be simple for them to find out.

Good points. I think the public only knows 1/100th of what’s been released. The DA said there was evidence this person hung around after the murder. Also, a tree branch was removed. I can’t speculate why she said that but it’s possible her opinion was formed by circumstantial evidence like a blood trail etc.

Interesting but how could the killer hide all evidence in a pad/tampon receptacle?! I’m not sure I follow.
As with many of my posts, just trying to think of everything possible and not necessarily my viewpoint- such as how the perp may have gotten away without being spotted wearing bloody clothing.

Thinking in terms of a perp wiping blood off themselves and putting the soiled material in a place where one might expect to find some kind of bloody -looking material.

Again, not that it is likely, but maybe it is marginally possible the perp wiped themselves off with something that was then put into doggy bags, tied up and deposited with all the other bags.
imo, speculation.

As with many of my posts, just trying to think of everything possible, such as how the perp may have gotten away without being spotted in bloody clothing.

Thinking in terms of a perp wiping blood off themselves and putting the soiled material in a place where one might expect to find some kind of bloody material.

Again, not that it is likely, but maybe it is marginally possible the perp wiped themselves off with something that was then put into doggy bags, tied up and deposited with all the other bags.
imo, speculation.

I got you. I can definitely see the perp taking off a shirt and tossing the bloody evidence into some place unknown. You’re right that this evidence had to go somewhere. Hm.

The lake is very near where Katie‘s body was found. The killer(s) could have easily walked a few yards to the lake walked right in and washed themselves off.

If a person had fresh cuts I got into the lake to wash off, IMO, The likelihood of an infection would be high. Pdoubt an evil psycho killer would be thinking about infections.

More questions:

Why are all the news stations only releasing that 1 photo of her? “The last photo of her” crossing the rainbow crosswalk? Do you think this was the only photo or the only one they are releasing?

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
The lake is very near where Katie‘s body was found. The killer(s) could have easily walked a few yards to the lake walked right in and washed themselves off.

If a person had fresh cuts I got into the lake to wash off, IMO, The likelihood of an infection would be high. Pdoubt an evil psycho killer would be thinking about infections.
I thought of this as well since the lake is so close. But here are some obstacles:

Even though this killer was super bold to kill her in the middle of the park, she was in a little bit of a wooded area. The lake however, is literally in the open. There were others walking in the park. If someone goes and randomly jumps in that lake, that’s weird. Like…..no one swims in that nasty lake. So, it would draw even more suspicion if the person was soaking wet, head to toe, and then walking through the park dripping. He would have drawn more attention to himself leaving the crime scene being wet.

Just my opinion

As with many of my posts, just trying to think of everything possible and not necessarily my viewpoint- such as how the perp may have gotten away without being spotted wearing bloody clothing.

Thinking in terms of a perp wiping blood off themselves and putting the soiled material in a place where one might expect to find some kind of bloody -looking material.

imo, speculation.

IMO, only one killer who carefully thought out the attack and came prepared. The park entrance and exit points were planned ahead of time and perp may have brought a clean shirt and pants in a backpack or hidden in the woods or near the exit and changed clothes before leaving the park. Therefore, the perp could walk out or ride a bike out of the park looking “fresh” and non-suspicious. So carrying a backpack may have been part of the MO… packed with weapons (more than one knife), change of clothes and maybe even a towel to clean up with….. possibly using the nearby bathroom or lake water. I think the perp exited the park somewhere besides one of the main entrances. And with Katie’s phone alarming from the “find my iPhone app”, the killer knew exactly when to pack up and head out. Makes me REALLY wonder what the jogger may have seen or heard.

The reason I believe there was only one killer… although some luck was prob involved to pull this off, it had to be premeditated and carefully planned. I believe the killer knows the park well and knew exactly where to commit the crime (dark and a little bit wooded) and how much time he had… and having more than one person involved would risk foiling the plan. Also, people talk and brag…. and having more than one person involved would increase the risk of information being leaked verbally or by evidence being left the crime scene; I.E. items used in the crime or leaving DNA from fingerprints or blood. I think she could have been killed a little ways away, deeper in the park, and transported to where she was found on the tree branch…. but it seems that there would be drag marks, which we haven’t seen in the pics or heard mentioned in MSM. I’m still on the fence as to whether the killer knew and targeted Katie or whether she was selected randomly, being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The perp is definitely skilled with knives (hunter, chef, sculptor???). I think the killer has harmed before but this may be the first murder….and I hate to say, perhaps the beginning of a serial killer. IMO, the community is at risk, even though APD LE hasn’t addressed that. I believe LE knows ALOT but can’t risk compromising the investigation.

I’m holding out that there will be an arrest soon and there will be justice for Katie and Bowie.

Last edited:
IMO, only one killer who carefully thought out the attack and came prepared. The park entrance and exit points were planned ahead of time and perp may have brought a clean shirt and pants in a backpack or hidden in the woods or near the exit and changed clothes before leaving the park. Therefore, the perp could walk out or ride a bike out of the park looking “fresh” and non-suspicious. So carrying a backpack may have been part of the MO… packed with weapons (more than one knife), change of clothes and maybe even a towel to clean up with….. possibly using the nearby bathroom or lake water. I think the perp exited the park somewhere besides one of the main entrances. And with Katie’s phone alarming from the “find my iPhone app”, the killer knew exactly when to pack up and head out. Makes me REALLY wonder what the jogger may have seen or heard.

The reason I believe there was only one killer… although some luck was prob involved to pull this off, it had to be premeditated and carefully planned. I believe the killer knows the park well and knew exactly where to commit the crime (dark and a little bit wooded) and how much time he had… and having more than one person involved would risk foiling the plan. Also, people talk and brag…. and having more than one person involved would increase the risk of information being leaked verbally or by evidence being left the crime scene; I.E. items used in the crime or leaving DNA from fingerprints or blood. I think she could have been killed a little ways away, deeper in the park, and transported to where she was found on the tree branch…. but it seems that there would be drag marks, which we haven’t seen in the pics or heard mentioned in MSM. I’m still on the fence as to whether the killer knew and targeted Katie or whether she was selected randomly, being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The perp is definitely skilled with knives (hunter, chef, sculptor???). I think the killer has harmed before but this may be the first murder….and I hate to say, perhaps the beginning of a serial killer. IMO, the community is at risk, even though APD LE hasn’t addressed that. I believe LE knows ALOT but can’t risk compromising the investigation.

I’m holding out that there will be an arrest soon and there will be justice for Katie and Bowie.
Agree ^, that all sounds about right if this was a premeditated act as opposed to someone who has gone snap crackle pop and got lucky so far.

If the murder was carefully planned, i wonder if there was any significance to leaving (staging?) KJ's body essentially ''at the end of the rainbow''? imo.

11Alive.com
ETA Lots of handy clear pics at link..
APD speaks with possible witnesses in deadly stabbing in Piedmont Park

Last edited:
What doesn’t sit right with me is that fact that if this was indeed “pre-meditated”…..someone must have been thinking about this for awhile. Someone who was really mad at her or she upset. How can no one be aware of who this person may be?
Like…..if this were me, my spouse would have a general idea right away because we discuss the interactions we have with other people. Surely EC has some sort of idea of who could want to harm KJ. If “everyone” loved her so much…..then it shouldn’t be hard to figure out the one person who didn’t? I dunno, seems odd to me….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState