GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've come late to this -- was part of the money raised put towards a reward for finding the killer?

From what I've read, $10k was put up by Crimestoppers/APD. PETA matched that, bringing the reward total to $20k.

Another $1k+ was raised for a memorial bench to be placed in in Piedmont Park in honor of Katie and Bowie.

I do not believe any of the funds raised have gone toward increasing reward money.

What doesn’t sit right with me is that fact that if this was indeed “pre-meditated”…..someone must have been thinking about this for awhile. Someone who was really mad at her or she upset. How can no one be aware of who this person may be?
Like…..if this were me, my spouse would have a general idea right away because we discuss the interactions we have with other people. Surely EC has some sort of idea of who could want to harm KJ. If “everyone” loved her so much…..then it shouldn’t be hard to figure out the one person who didn’t? I dunno, seems odd to me….

My opinion only…. LE knows a lot. And I believe that’s why they aren’t reaching out to the public right now for help. The reward fund is still relatively low at $20K. If they needed more tips from the public to help solve this case, why not up the ante to get people to talk? Raise the reward to $100K and see if people loosen up a bit and come forward with new info. Money talks. It could be that people close to Katie have given LE the name(s) of possible POIs but we just don’t have that information.

Last edited:
A thought came to me about this case earlier (does that happen to anyone else? Seems like when I’m driving especially, I have lightbulb moments).

Anyways, there is speculation as to how the killer escaped without being caught on camera... but I’m thinking the police did see them on camera, they just don’t know who it is. Perhaps someone with bloody clothing and a hat/mask. They released the video of the jogger and other folks saying they weren’t suspects but police wanted to know if they had witnessed anything. They probably just held that footage back and do indeed have footage of the killer.

all MOO!

What doesn’t sit right with me is that fact that if this was indeed “pre-meditated”…..someone must have been thinking about this for awhile. Someone who was really mad at her or she upset. How can no one be aware of who this person may be?
Like…..if this were me, my spouse would have a general idea right away because we discuss the interactions we have with other people. Surely EC has some sort of idea of who could want to harm KJ. If “everyone” loved her so much…..then it shouldn’t be hard to figure out the one person who didn’t? I dunno, seems odd to me….

"Premeditated" does not have to mean that the killer planned the exact identity of the victim in advance. It could mean that they planned how they would carry out a crime but the victim choice was opportunistic and random. That's one possibility.

Anyway, legally speaking, "premeditated" does not necessarily carry the same connotation of "advance planning/plotting" that regular people sometimes think of. It requires taking the time to form an intent to commit a crime but this intent can be reached in a matter of minutes, not days. Something as simple as bringing a particular type of knife to the park could be used to show premeditation.

People need to consider that the motive for a crime is sometimes external to the exact victim chosen. Sometimes it's more about the psychological or sexual satisfaction the offender is getting out of the act and it matters less, or not at all, to him who the victim turned out to be.

More questions:

Why are all the news stations only releasing that 1 photo of her? “The last photo of her” crossing the rainbow crosswalk? Do you think this was the only photo or the only one they are releasing?

<modsnip>.
I seem to recall APD saying that the photo of her in the rainbow crosswalk was the last known photo of her. But that was back in August. So they could have found more photos of her and are just withholding that info at this time. If that is the last photo of her, then she clearly didn't enter the park at one of the main entrances. And I don't know why should would have honestly. And I guess the police were never able to get the info from the cameras in the park that were old.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lake is very near where Katie‘s body was found. The killer(s) could have easily walked a few yards to the lake walked right in and washed themselves off.

If a person had fresh cuts I got into the lake to wash off, IMO, The likelihood of an infection would be high. Pdoubt an evil psycho killer would be thinking about infections.
It seems clear that the police were very interested in the lake in the days after the murder. If Katie was found about 150 feet inside the gate, which is the last I remember hearing, then the lake is about 150 yards away. That isn't very far.

From what I've read, $10k was put up by Crimestoppers/APD. PETA matched that, bringing the reward total to $20k.

Another $1k+ was raised for a memorial bench to be placed in in Piedmont Park in honor of Katie and Bowie.

I do not believe any of the funds raised have gone toward increasing reward money.

There was another chunk of money raised for EC. None of that went to a reward, did it?

@UltraViolet4545, You raise an excellent point of the likelihood of the killer(s) having been captured on video. We know from LE photos that there is a working camera outside the CA & 10th street entrance and also at the 12th st entrance. The Midtown (Grady) High School principal stated early on that the high school has cameras facing the direction of the park along 10th and that video footage would be reviewed by LE. It seems that high school camera would have captured activity facing Piedmont Park from CA along 10th to Monroe Dr. I’m assuming Park Tavern has cameras that would capture the back side of the restaurant that faces the grassy hill of the park. Then there are the Piedmont Ave businesses, 12th & 14th St Park entrances and the Beltline cameras, as well as the many private residents with home camera systems. LE canvassed the neighborhoods surrounding the park soliciting video evidence from residents in the 1-2 days after the murder. I’d be surprised if something useful to the investigation didn’t turn up.

I’ve also wondered… and to my knowledge, nothing was ever released about this…. but the person who ran out of the park screaming when Emma was making the 911 call must have been carefully interrogated by LE. Wonder which direction from inside the park that person was coming from and if he saw anyone who in hindsight seemed suspicious. I also wonder if jogger was shown any photos of a POI seen on video surveillance? So many unanswered questions.

How common is it for LE to withhold a description of a perp caught on security footage?

Also, did the autopsy report indicate the vertical portion of the "T" consisted of two parallel lines... or am I interpreting this incorrectly?

Do we know if Emma entered through the street entrance at CA or on the walk path? And do we know where she was standing when she made the 911 call? I recall her saying that as soon as she entered she saw Bowie, who was apparently only about 50 feet inside the park. But I was never clear if he was on the foot path or the street.

Jenorlatl, without a doubt the person heard in the background of the 911 call would be of great interest to the police. He/she supposedly discovered the body just immediately after EC. But I don't know if we have heard any kind of description of this person from anyone. Maybe somehow the police have already ruled that person out, who knows.

Do we know if Emma entered through the street entrance at CA or on the walk path? And do we know where she was standing when she made the 911 call? I recall her saying that as soon as she entered she saw Bowie, who was apparently only about 50 feet inside the park. But I was never clear if he was on the foot path or the street.

Jenorlatl, without a doubt the person heard in the background of the 911 call would be of great interest to the police. He/she supposedly discovered the body just immediately after EC. But I don't know if we have heard any kind of description of this person from anyone. Maybe somehow the police have already ruled that person out, who knows.

Although it initially appeared as though Emma drove to the park, it has since been noted in MSM that she rode her bike around the neighborhood where she thought K &B may be walking and then proceeded to the park. I’ve often wondered if Emma was seen on camera entering the park, and if so, where did she enter and the time? We know she “ran out of the park” after finding the bodies and then called 911. Between Emma’s texts to Katie, the “find my iPhone” searches, the time she entered the park (if known) and the time the 911 call was placed and possibly info that the jogger recalled….. All of these things would certainly tighten up the timeline for LE.

It’s been said before, but Emma and the guy who waited with Emma for LE, as well as the second guy (who came upon Bowie) and possibly the jogger…. all are very lucky to be alive.

Last edited:
Although it initially appeared as though Emma drove to the park, it has since been noted in MSM that she rode her bike around the neighborhood where she thought K &B may be walking and then proceeded to the park. I’ve often wondered if Emma was seen on camera entering the park, and if so, where did she enter and the time? We know she “ran out of the park” after finding the bodies and then called 911. Between Emma’s texts to Katie, the “find my iPhone” searches, the time she entered the park (if known) and the time the 911 call was placed and possibly info that the jogger recalled….. All of these things would certainly tighten up the timeline for LE.

It’s been said before, but Emma and the guy who waited with Emma for LE, as well as the second guy (who came upon Bowie) and possibly the jogger…. all are very lucky to be alive.

They sure are lucky. It's so scary to think this weirdo could have been standing there, behind the building..or behind a tree....watching this whole thing unfold...

I suspect the police have a very good idea when the attack must have taken place. I would really like to know what the jogger told police. It seems that should be photo/vid of Emma entering and exiting the park. From the earlier statements it sure sounded like she entered at the Charles Allen gate, either on the street or on the walk path and those areas are well covered by the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState