GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just going off of the last news story on Fox 5 (which I think everyone saw). …..

what are your opinions on some of the following:

1. what makes them so sure the killer won’t flee? Do you think it could be someone with deep ties to the community? Like someone who has joined many groups, volunteers, maybe owns a local business?

2. Do you think they keep publicizing the fact that they are close because they already know who the suspect is and are just trying to make them sweat?

3. Why do they keep putting news out there that seems to be hinting that they are close to an arrest, when the case is still an open murder investigation? Do you think the killer is incapacitated somehow, like dead or in jail? Or do you think APD is just watching their every move, parked outside often and knows they can’t flee?
I think some of their comments are very interesting. Makes me wonder if the person they suspect isn't already in custody for something or already dead. I wonder if there is someone known to Katie that died in the last six months.

Just my own amateur reading of the autopsy, it seems possible Katie was immediately incapacitated by having her throat cut from behind. It's possible there wasn't much resistance, especially as she seems to have been wearing earbuds.
I don’t think that’s accurate. She had so many defensive wounds on her arms and hands….Atleast IMO…
I think some of their comments are very interesting. Makes me wonder if the person they suspect isn't already in custody for something or already dead. I wonder if there is someone known to Katie that died in the last six months.
That’s exactly what I was thinking. Has anyone died recently that has any connection to KJ or EC…

It seems to me that LE publicly clearing people before the killer is caught and questioned would be irresponsible. Without identifying the killer and the motive, LE cannot clear anyone. Why would they jeopardize the case like that? Jmo.

I think that is stretching. They clear the closest first and then move out into community. They have not even told family or partner she is cleared knowing it is causing her problems. That is not factual that LE cannot publicly clear ANYONE until killer and motive determined. it just isnt true

It seems to me that LE publicly clearing people before the killer is caught and questioned would be irresponsible. Without identifying the killer and the motive, LE cannot clear anyone. Why would they jeopardize the case like that? Jmo.

I think that is stretching. They clear the closest first and then move out into community. They have not even told family or partner she is cleared knowing it is causing her problems. That is not factual that LE cannot publicly clear ANYONE until killer and motive determined. it just isnt true

[

A detail from the autopsy report that keeps bugging me is the earbud placement. It seems to me if a real struggle had occurred, that earbud would not have stayed in place. I could be wrong, but I can't hardly keep them in place just exercising, let alone fighting off an attacker. It makes me think the killer did take her down quickly and by surprise, as has been mentioned earlier with the throat or back injuries being the first. She had defensive injuries to her arms and hands, iirc, so clearly she had some fight left, but for her earbud to remain in place really makes me question how much. Am I being unrealistic?

A detail from the autopsy report that keeps bugging me is the earbud placement. It seems to me if a real struggle had occurred, that earbud would not have stayed in place. I could be wrong, but I can't hardly keep them in place just exercising, let alone fighting off an attacker. It makes me think the killer did take her down quickly and by surprise, as has been mentioned earlier with the throat or back injuries being the first. She had defensive injuries to her arms and hands, iirc, so clearly she had some fight left, but for her earbud to remain in place really makes me question how much. Am I being unrealistic?

The autopsy report says "A blue-black plastic wireless earbud is adjacent to the right ear." I don't know that means it remained in her ear. It's possible but it's also possible it was caught in her hair when her body was put in the disaster bag. Speculation.

The earbud has raised questions for me as well. Where is the other earbud?

A few thoughts...

~Morse Diggs (see Fox 5 link up-thread) has sported a fedora and trench in his numerous roles reporting crime in the ATL (AJC, City Hall, Fox 5) for decades. So any implication that he's sensationalizing in his reporting of this case, respective to what he's wearing, is off-the-mark. He's not only highly-lauded, routinely-awarded, carries a gravitas locally but I would also wager that whomever he's interviewing and whatever angle he's bringing is likely valid and on track as his connections with APD/Metro ATL LE run long and deep.

~ Blanket statements such as LE does this/that in their SOP can't possibly be true across the board. There's great variability from district to district. Some announce suspects clearance early-on some do not until a suspect(s) has been arrested. Even the ATL PDs SOP re that varies between police chief to police chief. In 2021 ATL PD was significantly understaffed--had two different police chiefs and as of today is likely headed for a new Police Chief, depending on what our new Mayor Dickins decides. All this plays into staffing and the efficacy of detectives in solving a case.

IMO

The problem here is that "familiar with victim" theory is just from a former prosecutor, not from police. This guy is just guessing.

I was excited when I saw that there was another news segment on the case, but then disappointed again when I realized the quote-unquote "update" wasn't coming from investigators. I wonder if (reputable) news sources consult with LE before airing segments like this? Again, as I've said before, it seems like it would be rather reckless to suggest that essentially there is no danger to the general public without being quite, quite sure about that.

I almost wonder if the recent news media we've seen on this case ("we're getting close," this segment suggesting a personal connection) isn't an attempt to spook the killer into... I don't know, confessing? Doing something that might indicate guilt (e.g. suddenly leaving the area?). My speculation is that LE have a strong suspect in mind but not enough evidence to arrest and are waiting for the suspect to somehow stumble and give them that extra piece they need.

The autopsy report says "A blue-black plastic wireless earbud is adjacent to the right ear." I don't know that means it remained in her ear. It's possible but it's also possible it was caught in her hair when her body was put in the disaster bag. Speculation.

Cannot help but wonder about these things..
-what KJ might have been listening to at the time of the attack?
-did the killer adjust the device by turning it down or sadistically turning it way up, maybe even playing something of their own choosing....?
-did the killer approach KJ to ''ask a question'' and she removed one ear bud to hear them, or maybe they just pulled it from her head?
speculation.

Just going off of the last news story on Fox 5 (which I think everyone saw). …..

1. what makes them so sure the killer won’t flee? Do you think it could be someone with deep ties to the community? Like someone who has joined many groups, volunteers, maybe owns a local business?

2. Do you think they keep publicizing the fact that they are close because they already know who the suspect is and are just trying to make them sweat?

3. Why do they keep putting news out there that seems to be hinting that they are close to an arrest, when the case is still an open murder investigation? Do you think the killer is incapacitated somehow, like dead or in jail? Or do you think APD is just watching their every move, parked outside often and knows they can’t flee?
I think that if police are not clearing EC it is because they can't clear her. It doesn't necessarily mean they suspect her, just that they can't absolutely say she isn't involved. That does seem a bit odd given what we know, but I think its safe to say that police clearly have a lot more info than we know.

Same question.

Also, some bluetooth earbuds track the users motion/activity and adjust sound accordingly. If the app records/stores this activity (a big "if"), they might be able to deduce when she was first struck and the length of the struggle. It should also indicate when the other earbud was removed (i.e. connecting signal lost from the other bud).

Edited to add: I just looked at the app for my Sony earphones and the app does store motion/activity to provide feedback. Unfortunately, I never enabled that function so I don't know how detailed the info is. Also, we don't know the brand of KJ's earbuds/phones so we don't know what feedback its app provides.

Last edited:
Same question.

Also, some bluetooth earbuds track the users motion/activity and adjust sound accordingly. If the app records/stores this activity (a big "if"), they might be able to deduce when she was first struck and the length of the struggle. It should also indicate when the other earbud was removed (i.e. connecting signal lost from the other bud).

Edited to add: I just looked at the app for my Sony earphones and the app does store motion/activity to provide feedback. Unfortunately, I never enabled that function so I don't know how detailed the info is. Also, we don't know the brand of KJ's earbuds/phones so we don't know what feedback its app provides.

All great questions and insight.

On a light note, (locals will get this) I speculate that if the killer cleaned up in the lake at PP, they are most likely deceased.
Seriously, I have so many questions re the autopsy from the manner in which it was released to the public by the Fulton Cty ME, not Atl PD, & I don't recall ever hearing APD commenting on it or it's release.
The earbud adjacent to the ear...I can't picture that. What happened to the other earbud? Hair was still up w/2 hairbands. Shoes & socks still on both feet. So many details. No mention of a bra & I can't help but wonder if there is one missing (trophy). I wonder if there is any possible way in determining the sequence of wounds, but I feel strongly the throat was 1st which made any vocal sounds impossible. I feel Bowie was attacked 1st, was in the roadway, & KJ tried to get away explaining the distance between them.
Madison S has found this info on the earbuds that is brilliant & fascinating. That info could provide alot of times that are needed for this puzzle of a case.
JMOO.

On a light note, (locals will get this) I speculate that if the killer cleaned up in the lake at PP, they are most likely deceased.
Seriously, I have so many questions re the autopsy from the manner in which it was released to the public by the Fulton Cty ME, not Atl PD, & I don't recall ever hearing APD commenting on it or it's release.
The earbud adjacent to the ear...I can't picture that. What happened to the other earbud? Hair was still up w/2 hairbands. Shoes & socks still on both feet. So many details. No mention of a bra & I can't help but wonder if there is one missing (trophy). I wonder if there is any possible way in determining the sequence of wounds, but I feel strongly the throat was 1st which made any vocal sounds impossible. I feel Bowie was attacked 1st, was in the roadway, & KJ tried to get away explaining the distance between them.
Madison S has found this info on the earbuds that is brilliant & fascinating. That info could provide alot of times that are needed for this puzzle of a case.
JMOO.
All very insightful. I have wondered about some of this as well.

I, too, find it strange that the autopsy report was released by the ME with no commentary/press conference from APD. Why would they not address it? Releasing that to the public certainly raised hairs on many people who read it.

The missing earbud, where is it? In evidence? Was it not close to the body? Was it found? Was it in the apartment? If so, why would she have only taken 1 with her? Did the killer take the earbud as a "trophy"? Was it in Emma's pocket? WHERE IS THAT OTHER EARBUD?

I hadn't thought about the bra not being mentioned but that's a great point.

I have thought about her throat being cut first and if Bowie was attacked first as well. As you said, it would explain the distance of the bodies to one another.

The info from Madison S was GREAT! I hope LE is looking into all of that. I'm sure they have but I digress.

Someone brought up questions to me about the jogger yesterday in conversation. What do we really know about him? All I ever saw in MSM was his pictures, some video of him running, and that he was "cooperating" with LE. He ran into the park and ran out 41 seconds later heading into the same direction he was running in the first place. So he didn't run into the park to turn around. What did he see/do in those 41 seconds?????

Last edited:
JMOO.
Yeah, if they were cut and got into that cesspool in PP, they probably are deceased. Lol!

All very insightful. I have wondered about some of this as well.

I, too, find it strange that the autopsy report was released by the ME with no commentary/press conference from APD. Why would they not address it? Releasing that to the public certainly raised hairs on many people who read it.

The missing earbud, where is it? In evidence? Was it not close to the body? Was it found? Was it in the apartment? If so, why would she have only taken 1 with her? Did the killer take the earbud as a "trophy"? Was it in Emma's pocket? WHERE IS THAT OTHER EARBUD?

I hadn't thought about the bra not being mentioned but that's a great point.

I have thought about her throat being cut first and if Bowie was attacked first as well. As you said, it would explain the distance of the bodies to one another.

The info from Madison S was GREAT! I hope LE is looking into all of that. I'm sure they have but I digress.

Someone brought up questions to me about the jogger yesterday in conversation. What do we really know about him? All I ever saw in MSM was his pictures, some video of him running, and that he was "cooperating" with LE. He ran into the park and ran out 41 seconds later heading into the same direction he was running in the first place. So he didn't run into the park to turn around. What did he see/do in those 41 seconds?????
I highly doubt the earbud was in EC pocket. First, they do a search….second…..she didn’t do it, so she would have no reason to take the earbud.

that jogger though….seriously makes me question what the heck.

I highly doubt the earbud was in EC pocket. First, they do a search….second…..she didn’t do it, so she would have no reason to take the earbud.

that jogger though….seriously makes me question what the heck.
We do have this about the jogger, for what it's worth.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/atlanta-police-speak-potential-witness-fatal-park-stabbing/story?id=79317337
Authorities shared photos Friday morning of a jogger who they said could have been a witness. Atlanta police told ABC News that as of Friday afternoon the man pictured "has come forward and is cooperating with investigators at this time." He's not a suspect at this time or accused of any wrongdoing, police added.

Atlanta police said late Friday the jogger had not witnessed the crime.

I'll add my own thoughts, too. He was seen running in and out, which I agree is strange. He maybe didn't see the murder happen, but we don't know that he didn't see the bodies. However, when he jogged back out, imo, he didn't seem panicked, and he then went on to jog more of the park system trail as seen on other cameras. If he had seen anything obviously disturbing, would he have done those actions? Idk...just curious.

Last edited:

I’ll answer with my opinions:
1. Yes, definitely.
2. Yes.
3. Yes. One thing I struggle with on this case is that my gut has one theory, but my brain disagrees. Gut says killer was well-known to Katie and planned/fantasized for months about destroying her—possibly someone from Midtown obsessed with EC, or a disgruntled coworker— someone who knew her and E’s schedules. Brain says unknown assailant who will kill again unless already in custody or deceased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003