GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. After leaving Henry's (assuming the time given by EC was accurate) Katie and Bowie went somewhere else, crossed to the south side of 10th, and then came back to be caught on camera crossing 10th back to the north side. Assuming she crossed 10th, then Piedmont and continued along 10th to enter the park at the SW corner, (which I think is the most likely route) they could have arrived in the vicinity of the CA gate about 12:25-12:27. I think the attack occurred then or shortly thereafter and lasted a couple minutes.
I do think the timeline is critical in this case. So the time KJ left Henry's and when EC left, and when EC saw KJ's phones wasn't movie, when she arrived at the park, time of the 911 call, all of those are important down to the minute. I'm sure the police have that timeline all pinned down, but it is still vague in the media reports as far as I can tell. We have the time on the rainbow crossing photo, but we are just assuming that time stamp is accurate. We have the time stamps on the CA gate photos and I think we can safely assume those are accurate. And I think we have the time of the 911 call correct? Anyone remember?

The exact time of the 911 call was 1:11a

More nitpickiness...

Per the autopsy report, KJ only had a five dollar bill on her. No wallet, no cards, no coins, and the $5 was in her watch pocket.

I'm making a big jump in assumptions here, but I don't think she got anything from the vending machine. No change? No dollar bills?

Also doesn't sound like the set-up for a drug buy, or like she planned to stop anywhere she'd need an ID. And I don't think she was robbed, either. Why was she by the restroom?

I am curious as to the reasoning that LE would show videos of “potential witnesses” to the crime, but none of the screen captures of KJ in other locations? Surely there were cameras on the buildings of all of the places she passes? Shouldn’t she have been seen on camera leaving the restaurant EC works at ? Why post all the other screen shots, except those?
Welcome to Websleuths! I’ve wondered about this as well. My theory is LE doesn’t want to tip off the killer about the investigation by releasing other footage. It does seem implausible that she wasn’t captured on any other cameras in the area. IMO.
The only LE confirmed times we know are 12:09AM— Katie and Bowie in rainbow crosswalk, and 1:10AM, Emma’s 911 call. Plus the times that the potential witnesses were leaving the park. All the other times are from EC or JC. MOO.

Well, that's interesting.

In the People article Joe Clark is the source of that tidbit:

Joe Clark said Janness regularly listened to podcasts as she walked in the park, and felt safe doing so even as Emma Clark urged her to carry pepper spray.

Late on Tuesday evening, he says Janness, who worked as a bartender at both an Italian restaurant and an improv theater, stopped by a tavern where Emma Clark worked. The two women made plans to meet up again later and walk home together from Emma Clark's workplace. But when that time arrived, Janness didn't show up, wasn't answering her phone, and didn't pick up at their residence.

That's when Emma Clark traced the phone to the park and went looking for Janness inside of it.
'There Is a Monster on the Loose': FBI Investigates Killing of Atlanta Woman and Dog She Was Walking

all imo

Joe Clark might not necessarily be the source of the idea that KJ was coming back to the restaurant. The journalist might have made an error or mishandled details, which happens a lot.

FWIW:

In this interview: EXCLUSIVE: Partner of woman found slain in Piedmont Park pleads for APD to clear her name The reporter says "Emma telling police she went home after work to see Katie after midnight."

In this interview (EXCLUSIVE: Full interview with partner of Katie Janness) EC states "Well, I didn't get home until about an hour after I saw her." which would mean 12:30 b/c she states KJ came by the restaurant at 11:30.

I, too, have had many problems with this timeline.

Questions I have:

1) How did JC know exactly what time (12:57a) that EC arrived at the park? That's a pretty specific time IMO
2) IF EC, in fact, did arrive at PP at 12:57, why did it take 13 minutes for EC to make the 911 call? B was in plain view and would have been spotted right away. 13 minutes is a lot of time to make the discovery and not call 911 IMO

1) <modsnip: No link to an approved source>
2) She had to locate both bodies and may well have been dazed by the experience.

Also, per EC, KJ showed up at 11:35pm but how long did she stay at the restaurant? So not necessarily a whole hour until EC goes home.

Last edited by a moderator:
More nitpickiness...

Per the autopsy report, KJ only had a five dollar bill on her. No wallet, no cards, no coins, and the $5 was in her watch pocket.

I'm making a big jump in assumptions here, but I don't think she got anything from the vending machine. No change? No dollar bills?

Also doesn't sound like the set-up for a drug buy, or like she planned to stop anywhere she'd need an ID. And I don't think she was robbed, either. Why was she by the restroom?

In case anyone is interested, there is an app called "Payrange" that lets you purchase items from vending machines. You pre-load your account with a specific amount of cash using a credit card. (I use it for laundry).

It is curious why she would be in the park that late when she told EC that she would see her soon at home. The timestamps and timeline are just so screwy.

I agree that it wasn't a drug buy. (Or if it was, it probably wasn't the dealer who killed her. She would have been shot and then robbed of everything valuable including her phone). I read the autopsy report and don't recall any mention of drugs in her system or evidence of past drug use. Does anybody else remember anything from the report? Was toxicology included?

More nitpickiness...

I don’t know if anyone has brought this up before, but maybe Katie and Bowie weren’t walking alone in the park. If the killer was known to Katie, they could have lured her there on purpose (ie, the killer knew she was leaving town the next day and said they’d like to see her before she left, and planned to meet up at PP). MOO. Otherwise, I believe she and Bowie were heading out of the park to walk home down Charles Allen Dr. IMO.

More nitpickiness...

I really need to remember to take my ID with me when I run or bike. I usually take my phone.

I really need to remember to take my ID with me when I run or bike. I usually take my phone.
That makes me think. Her phone wasn't on her per the autopsy report. Yet we know she had it because a) she had her earbud, and b) EC said she used the locator to find her.

So does that mean her phone was not on her body, but on the ground nearby? Collected as evidence?

Eta: makes me wonder if she pulled out her phone in an attempt to call 911?

In case anyone is interested, there is an app called "Payrange" that lets you purchase items from vending machines. You pre-load your account with a specific amount of cash using a credit card. (I use it for laundry).

It is curious why she would be in the park that late when she told EC that she would see her soon at home. The timestamps and timeline are just so screwy.

I agree that it wasn't a drug buy. (Or if it was, it probably wasn't the dealer who killed her. She would have been shot and then robbed of everything valuable including her phone). I read the autopsy report and don't recall any mention of drugs in her system or evidence of past drug use. Does anybody else remember anything from the report? Was toxicology included?

I was at the crime scene this weekend. That particular vending machine allows you to pay with your phone if I recall correctly. I remember looking at it and thinking, "oh that's cool. i didn't know vending machines let you do that these days."

The toxicology report is operate from the autopsy report.

Also of no mention in the autopsy report were any keys. Did they not lock their apartment in Midtown? Did keys get dropped somewhere?

Interesting. LE could have taken her keys as evidence. Maybe they thought they could get a fingerprint off of them? Also, I have a digital lock on my door and I never take keys with me when I go for walks.

That makes me think. Her phone wasn't on her per the autopsy report. Yet we know she had it because a) she had her earbud, and b) EC said she used the locator to find her.

So does that mean her phone was not on her body, but on the ground nearby? Collected as evidence?

I'm guessing LE took her phone as evidence. EC states in an interview that the cops had her phone.

Interesting. LE could have taken her keys as evidence. Maybe they thought they could get a fingerprint off of them? Also, I have a digital lock on my door and I never take keys with me when I go for walks.
That's a good thought about the digital lock. Very well could be. And also helpful on the vending machine accepting payment by phone. Maybe she had her phone out to buy something at the machine when she was attacked. That could account for her phone being out and getting separated from her body.

It seemed to me, reading the autopsy, that maybe everything on her body was left as is for the autopsy because some things were reported as kept back for evidence after-the-fact. Jmo.

The timeline has always been a problem for me.
If KJ & B left Henry's at 10th & Juniper around 11:35 as EC stated in last interview (11alivenews-partner of KJ asks Atl PD to clear her)
& walked to 10th & Piedmont. She should have arrived at the rainbow crosswalk around 11:50. There's 19 minutes unaccounted for.
She crosses 10th in a northerly direction, staying on Piedmont. At that point we don't know if she continued down Piedmont or turned right to go down 10th, having to cross Piedmont in an easterly direction.
EC thought she would be home when she got home. I would speculate EC did not know KJ was going to the park. There has never been any public statement regarding what time EC left work or what time she got home except EC stated in 1st interview w/CBS46 news she left work about an hour after KJ & B stpped by to say hi.
At the vigil for KJ & B, JC stated that EC found them at 12:57am.
In a recent interview JC stated EC found them at 1:09.
So IMO there are quite a few missing pieces to the timeline & locations that would make sleuthing this case easier.
JMO.
Partner EC states she left work and was home by 12:30. KJ wasn't there and she had seen her one hour before. (11:30) then it gets weird that in a matter of 30 mins she freaks out, uses find my iphone app, gets on her bike and rides to Piedmont Park. Partner father says she arrives at PP at 12:57am. 911 call comes in at 1:10 am

I don’t know if anyone has brought this up before, but maybe Katie and Bowie weren’t walking alone in the park. If the killer was known to Katie, they could have lured her there on purpose (ie, the killer knew she was leaving town the next day and said they’d like to see her before she left, and planned to meet up at PP). MOO. Otherwise, I believe she and Bowie were heading out of the park to walk home down Charles Allen Dr. IMO.

I have thought about this a lot. I think she may have met her killer at the 1st entrance to the park on 10th, just a few doors down from Henry’s and they walked in the park along the path together. I just can’t imagine ANY woman walking alone in the park by herself at that hour no matter how tough she is. If she is as smart as people have said, she would have known the dangers of being alone in a park that late at night.. I noticed there are not cameras at that entrance.

An autopsy report wouldn't indicate a cell phone. If the phone was with or near her when she was found, the police would have taken it as evidence. The coroner would only note those items on or with the body at the time of the examination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ManicPixieSim