GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
After reviewing this case IMHO the killer(s) is a teenager, young adult, or someone with a cognitive delay possibly. The reason I say this is due to some of the aspects of how KJ was carved up. It seems like some of the wounds were inflicted due to rage but other wounds seem like the killer took time to check things out. For example, she was cut from just below the sternum to the pelvis, almost like gutting a deer. This person was in a violent rage but they still took their time to inflict as much damage as possible, almost like they were experimenting. This also sounds like an opportunistic murder.

This is just my opinion.

After reviewing this case IMHO the killer(s) is a teenager, young adult, or someone with a cognitive delay possibly. The reason I say this is due to some of the aspects of how KJ was carved up. It seems like some of the wounds were inflicted due to rage but other wounds seem like the killer took time to check things out. For example, she was cut from just below the sternum to the pelvis, almost like gutting a deer. This person was in a violent rage but they still took their time to inflict as much damage as possible, almost like they were experimenting. This also sounds like an opportunistic murder.

This is just my opinion.

I would agree on your speculations here about the killer's actions - some people might look at the sheer number of stab wounds and draw the conclusion that this was "overkill" and attach all the conventional wisdom about personal or specific rage against the victim. I see things more like you do, that the violence here was not instrumental so much as "playing" or experimenting. Which is a very unsettling conclusion to come to. I think this is why the FBI was called so quickly to this case to consult. JMO

In the video of the jogger we can see that the gate at the entrance is not closed and locked.
I would think it would be standard practice for the gate to be locked at night. If left open I would think that occasionally someone would drive thru it and joy ride thru the park. If this happened the driver could hit people who are in the park or cause damage.
Who knows if the gate being open that night was unusual. To me common sense says it should be closed and locked but common sense tells me there is NO WAY Piedmont Park does not have useable, working security cameras!!!!!!!

anyway, the gate is open. If someone drove thru in a vehicle or a bicycle it should be captured by the same camera as the jogger.

Was the park drive gate open? Probably no traffic cameras there. Would be a short drive to the crime scene…but a risky drive if you were up to no good because you would be highly visible.
I thinkg the gates at CA were closed. It appears so in the pics. I don't know if they lock closed. there appears to be a 4 foot gap to allow pedestrians through. As for the cameras in the park not being working/accessible, I'm not surprised. Municipal funding is tight and that prob wasn't a priority. The cameras at the gates are higher priority and possibly state or federally funded for traffic purposes.

My understanding was Emma entered and immediately saw Bowie. Now, I don't know if she entered on the street or on the adjacent foot path. So I don't know where Bowie was found. If on the street, he must have been JUST out of view of that camera. Katie was reportedly found about another 100 FEET away under those trees. The street area appears it is lit, but under those trees would be dark I assume. Can our local people help tell us what the lightning is at night there?

I thinkg the gates at CA were closed. It appears so in the pics. I don't know if they lock closed. there appears to be a 4 foot gap to allow pedestrians through. As for the cameras in the park not being working/accessible, I'm not surprised. Municipal funding is tight and that prob wasn't a priority. The cameras at the gates are higher priority and possibly state or federally funded for traffic purposes.

My understanding was Emma entered and immediately saw Bowie. Now, I don't know if she entered on the street or on the adjacent foot path. So I don't know where Bowie was found. If on the street, he must have been JUST out of view of that camera. Katie was reportedly found about another 100 FEET away under those trees. The street area appears it is lit, but under those trees would be dark I assume. Can our local people help tell us what the lightning is at night there?
When you get into the tree canopy/area it can be pitch black (depending on moonphase).

I took these screenshots of the jogger at the CA gate and the entrance to a sidewalk that runs parallel to the road inside the park. The sidewalk entrance is never closed. Walking traffic can get through that way. It’s been along time since I’ve been to Piedmont Park at night but when I drive by during the day the gate is normally closed.

I took these screenshots of the jogger at the CA gate and the entrance to a sidewalk that runs parallel to the road inside the park. The sidewalk entrance is never closed. Walking traffic can get through that way. It’s been along time since I’ve been to Piedmont Park at night but when I drive by during the day the gate is normally closed.
Emma's statement just said she entered, but didn't specify if on the street or foot path. I initially thought the street, since that is where we see people in the police photo releases. But starting to thinkg she went in on the foot path. The attack could have started on the path, a little less lit.

Emma's statement just said she entered, but didn't specify if on the street or foot path. I initially thought the street, since that is where we see people in the police photo releases. But starting to thinkg she went in on the foot path. The attack could have started on the path, a little less lit.
There would be more cover for someone hiding by the foot path, imo. The columns, trees and ornamental grass by the bathroom.
Most of the 10th street side of the park is open to foot traffic, you can walk in anywhere. If I was walking from where we see Katie in the crosswalk to the location she was found I would have walked down the green space/hill 1/2 a block up. Assuming I was not worried about encountering someone. If you wanted to let your dog off leash that would be the place to do it…after midnight..

If the girlfriend was able to use the find my phone app to find her, then is there a record of her previous steps? That might help clear up whether or not she was attacked there, or elsewhere and placed there. I don’t recall reading anything about this in news articles.. maybe it’s being intentionally withheld (because it seems like an easy clue to pinpoint time and place of attack). JMO!
Also, would Katie’s phone have been pinging/alerting when that app was activated? Or does it work silently by GPS? Or does it depend on if the phone is set to vibrate? Would a murderer be concerned about a victim’s cell phone noises— alerts, ringtones?

According to EC... Bowie was in the middle of the street inside the park... and KJ was off to the side in an unlit area.

around time code 2:05
"I could see Bowie clearly because he was in the middle of the road area. See that's lit. They have lights. But I didn't see Katie right away because it was darker."

According to EC... Bowie was in the middle of the street inside the park... and KJ was off to the side in an unlit area.

around time code 2:05
"I could see Bowie clearly because he was in the middle of the road area. See that's lit. They have lights. But I didn't see Katie right away because it was darker."
Yes, she also said early on, in one interview, that because he was in the road, she had initially wondered if he'd been hit.

When you get into the tree canopy/area it can be pitch black (depending on moonphase).

I posted where EC says Bowie was found based on the Channel 46 interview (above).
Here's where I think KJ's body was found. (IMO)
According to two people on twitter... Katie's body was found in the tree line. Flowers were reportedly placed at the scene by the second person who called 911 that night. Presumably that would be the same location where her body was found. It's also where news reports showed police removing a huge tree branch from the following day.
https://twitter.com/playboicatie/status/1424221472663474176 -- This person on twitter walked from the gate to the location where KJ was reportedly found... Says it was exactly 82 steps from the entrance. You can see the entrance in the distance in the attached photo.

Attachments

• roses.jpg
    roses.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 57
For non local people, Bowie was found on the road inside the park. This road is not open to traffic, ever. It is used by security and park maintenance and to let vendor trucks during a festival.

Bowie could have been hit by a car where he was found but if so the driver was security, maintenance or unauthorized. Bowie could have been hit by a car on 10th street, very busy street just yards away.

the vigil’s for Katie were held just inside the gate at 10th street, and in the video of the jogger you can see down the road… maybe not 50 feet but close, imo.

How quickly is a crime scene like this one normally released?
This one seems like it was not closed off for long. I know police were searching the park and lake in the days after. But, the next day people could walk right up to the crime scene( flowers were left there).

could Katie have been killed in another location (the lake) and her body was carried to the place it was found? If so, that location might be open to the public more quickly than if it were the location of the attack.

Idk, just brainstorming.

What I am trying to figure out, is the weapon used. A knife, like a machete? Not a gun.

This crime just doesn't seem random to me. It seemed to be very personal and planned. Killing the dog also seemed to be an anomaly, most folks won't kill a dog. Or even approach someone with a pittie. Did the person know Bowie? And knew Bowie was not aggressive?

The fact that the police have stated they did not find any usable DNA...that is a real dilemma. None?

There has been a rise in crime in Atlanta over the last two years. But the knife attack is really interesting, this seems to be a very specific Killing for some reason.

Atlanta crime in 2021 remained higher than pre-pandemic levels, data shows

How quickly is a crime scene like this one normally released?
This one seems like it was not closed off for long. I know police were searching the park and lake in the days after. But, the next day people could walk right up to the crime scene( flowers were left there).

could Katie have been killed in another location (the lake) and her body was carried to the place it was found? If so, that location might be open to the public more quickly than if it were the location of the attack.

Idk, just brainstorming.

I know we've all considered the possibility of a second crime scene, but police point blank said, "The victim and her dog were killed inside the park."
Maybe they've reconsidered, but I haven't heard otherwise.

This is the entire release:
Homicide detectives are asking for the public’s help to solve the murder of 40-year-old Katherine (Katie) Janness on July 28, 2021.
On July 28, 2021 the Katherine Janness’ body was discovered inside Piedmont Park. She was last seen walking her dog in Midtown Atlanta. (Photo on flyer was at 12:09am July 28, 2021) The victim and her dog were killed inside the park. Anyone with Information is asked to call APD Homicide with any information you may have at (404) 546-4235 or call Crime Stoppers at 404-577-TIPS. Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a reward of up to $10,000.

What I am trying to figure out, is the weapon used. A knife, like a machete? Not a gun.

This crime just doesn't seem random to me. It seemed to be very personal and planned. Killing the dog also seemed to be an anomaly, most folks won't kill a dog. Or even approach someone with a pittie. Did the person know Bowie? And knew Bowie was not aggressive?

The fact that the police have stated they did not find any usable DNA...that is a real dilemma. None?

There has been a rise in crime in Atlanta over the last two years. But the knife attack is really interesting, this seems to be a very specific Killing for some reason.

Atlanta crime in 2021 remained higher than pre-pandemic levels, data shows
There is a podcast by Joseph Scott Morgan, a forensic expert, called Body Bags. I found it interesting and informative. He talks about the kind of knife that was used, iirc. He discusses the autopsy results. I highly recommend. I am going to go back and listen to it again.

i agree that it is unusual to kill the dog. If the killer was looking for a random victim it would be easier to choose someone without a dog.

Listening to a podcast about the autopsy results does not make me cry but thinking about the fear Katie and Bowie must have experienced does.

I know we've all considered the possibility of a second crime scene, but police point blank said, "The victim and her dog were killed inside the park."
Maybe they've reconsidered, but I haven't heard otherwise.

This is the entire release:
Homicide detectives are asking for the public’s help to solve the murder of 40-year-old Katherine (Katie) Janness on July 28, 2021.
On July 28, 2021 the Katherine Janness’ body was discovered inside Piedmont Park. She was last seen walking her dog in Midtown Atlanta. (Photo on flyer was at 12:09am July 28, 2021) The victim and her dog were killed inside the park. Anyone with Information is asked to call APD Homicide with any information you may have at (404) 546-4235 or call Crime Stoppers at 404-577-TIPS. Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a reward of up to $10,000.
The lake i was referring to is inside the park, just a few yards from where Katie was found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hills89