GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
PETA contributed reward money (I think $10,000 iirc).
''Atlanta – PETA is adding another $10,000 to the existing $10,000 reward offered by the Atlanta Police Department for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible for fatally stabbing Katherine Janness and her dog Bowie in Piedmont Park late last Tuesday night. (See the flyer here.)

According to reports, Janness and her beloved dog Bowie—who lived about a mile from the park—didn’t return home from their post-dinner walk, so Janness’ girlfriend traced the location of her phone. The bodies, with multiple stab wounds, were discovered around 1 a.m. near the park entrance.

An Atlanta-area PETA member has put up the funds, and the group is hoping for help from the public to solve the case before the killer(s) strikes again.

“Anyone who would kill a woman and the dog who likely tried to defend her, as loyal dogs invariably do, is a threat to the entire community of living, feeling beings,” says PETA Vice President Colleen O’Brien. “PETA knows well the sociological studies of killers who target the most vulnerable among us and urges anyone with information to come forward to help police identify this callous killer.”

Anyone with pertinent information should contact the Atlanta Police Homicide Unit at 404-546-4235 or Crime Stoppers at 404-577-8477.''

I was trying to find the photos of the "witnesses" that APD released. I have found several of them, but I can't find the photo of the guy with the hoodie. Can anyone help me out?
Re post 2021

AtlantaBourne posted..
''Attaching a still from link of cammo hoodie guy(about 1m20sec in). This news story also contains EC's 911 call, 1st short video of her, video taken a few hrs after murders showing JC talking to police at 10th & CA & a daytime shot from the intersection showing part if 10th St going towards Monroe Dr.''
911 call and new video in Piedmont Park murder shed light on a timeline
Screenshot_2021-11-23-19-32-03.png
''

Re post 2021

AtlantaBourne posted..
''Attaching a still from link of cammo hoodie guy(about 1m20sec in). This news story also contains EC's 911 call, 1st short video of her, video taken a few hrs after murders showing JC talking to police at 10th & CA & a daytime shot from the intersection showing part if 10th St going towards Monroe Dr.''
911 call and new video in Piedmont Park murder shed light on a timeline
Screenshot_2021-11-23-19-32-03.png
''
Thanks DOTR but I can't get that link to work. Seems a few of the older links I used to go back and look at are no longer working.

This pic is the only decent one I could find from WSBtv.com (potential witnesses). IMO this person is wearing light, possibly white, skinny jeans & some sort of colorful (Hawaiian.) shirt. There appears to be smudges or shadows on the outside of the left pant leg, person is holding something in right hand at waist level & holding up their left arm bent covering their face. I cannot tell the gender. This pic is from the camera at 12th St. & Piedmont Ave NE. The entrance to PP.
Again, this is just my opinion.

Attachments

• guy.in.hoodie.piedmont.12th.png
    guy.in.hoodie.piedmont.12th.png
    544.6 KB · Views: 78
@1:55 the Hoodie guy is referenced as passing by at 12:43 (He is in the far left upper corner of screen) Times are given for the other witnesses too.
Thanks DOTR and AtlantaBourne. That is what I wanted. Not sure why so many of those images are not available now. One big question I have is whether the time stamps on the photos are correct. I assume they are but I guess there is no guarantee. I find the timing of the photos and location to be very important.

I can’t read this because of a paywall, but finally a new article! I can’t believe we’re at the one year anniversary tomorrow with no arrest. Rest In Peace Katie and Bowie.

Last edited:
I can’t read this because of a paywall, but finally a new article! I can’t believe we’re at the one year anniversary tomorrow with no arrest. Rest In Peace Katie and Bowie.

Not a huge amount of new information in there.

"...

“If somebody that had a pit bull and was walking by the park wasn’t safe, no young woman in this neighborhood is safe,” said Chip Powell, Janness’ friend and supervisor at the Whole World Improv Theatre Co., where she worked as a bar manager.

Janness’ body was discovered just after 1 a.m. about 100 yards inside a Piedmont Park entrance by Emma Clark, her girlfriend of about seven years. She’d been stabbed more than 50 times and the dog’s body was discovered about 100 feet away, police have said. Clark tracked her phone when she never returned home from her evening walk with the dog.

Janness frequently walked the couple’s dog at night and Clark said she often worried about her safety.

While the killing was one of 160 homicide cases authorities investigated in 2021, Janness, 40, was the first person killed in the park since 2009, authorities said. The incident stood out in other ways; most homicides involve firearms and many, police say, stem from disputes that escalate to violence.

Atlanta Mayor Andre Dickens said he speaks with investigators regularly and that police are still working with the FBI.

“I was assuring the family that the case has not gone cold. That’s what APD tells me, that they continue to collect information,” Dickens said, noting there were several people in or near the park that night, some of whom may have seen something that could aid investigators.

The Atlanta Police Department is expected to hold a news conference Thursday to provide updates in the case. Janness’ loved ones will be eager for answers.

..."

Can't believe it's been a year already. I remember finding the case on here right after it occurred and thinking it would be solved in short order. Here's hoping this year is the year it gets solved.
I think a lot of us thought the case would be solved fairly quickly. I mean how could get away with such a horrific and violent attack in a public park and not get caught? Right?

Not a huge amount of new information in there.

"...

“If somebody that had a pit bull and was walking by the park wasn’t safe, no young woman in this neighborhood is safe,” said Chip Powell, Janness’ friend and supervisor at the Whole World Improv Theatre Co., where she worked as a bar manager.

Janness’ body was discovered just after 1 a.m. about 100 yards inside a Piedmont Park entrance by Emma Clark, her girlfriend of about seven years. She’d been stabbed more than 50 times and the dog’s body was discovered about 100 feet away, police have said. Clark tracked her phone when she never returned home from her evening walk with the dog.

Janness frequently walked the couple’s dog at night and Clark said she often worried about her safety.

While the killing was one of 160 homicide cases authorities investigated in 2021, Janness, 40, was the first person killed in the park since 2009, authorities said. The incident stood out in other ways; most homicides involve firearms and many, police say, stem from disputes that escalate to violence.

Atlanta Mayor Andre Dickens said he speaks with investigators regularly and that police are still working with the FBI.

“I was assuring the family that the case has not gone cold. That’s what APD tells me, that they continue to collect information,” Dickens said, noting there were several people in or near the park that night, some of whom may have seen something that could aid investigators.

The Atlanta Police Department is expected to hold a news conference Thursday to provide updates in the case. Janness’ loved ones will be eager for answers.

..."
Thanks for the fresh article!
From link..

1658958234414.png
1658958291253.png
1658958346948.png
''Heidi Oley, who had been Janness’ neighbor, said she often spotted her sitting in the courtyard of their Midtown apartment complex into the early morning hours, reading and listening to music.

”She would sit under the stairs,” Oley said. “I felt like she felt safe because sometimes I’d see her out there at like 1 in the morning.”

''A Michigan native, Janness had played in a rock band in Detroit and wrote songs.''

I held strong hopes of an arrest back in JAN when police hinted they were close to a resolution. Wonder if they've hit a snag? Someone's aibi shouldn't ck out but does.

Even in JAN 2022, LEO was still awaiting analysis and test results yet they seemed optimistic. I wish the media would report the letters as the coroner reports them to be: F A π that was carved while she was alive - that took some time to do - torture - when killer had no fear of being caught. Why carve letters? Mssg to whom?

January 4, 2022 4:53pm EST My favorite news update:

Authorities in Atlanta said in a brief update Tuesday that the probe into the death of Katherine Janess <> is "moving in the right direction."

Police Deputy Chief Charles Hampton Jr., said <> detectives were meeting regularly with the FBI and working leads that come in almost weekly.

Homicide Commander Ralph Woolfolk said investigators were still assessing biological, physical and electronic evidence.

"We do believe that this investigation is moving in the right direction," he said. "We look forward to where the pieces of the puzzle are being put together as it pertains to this case."

The letters "F", "A", and "T" were carved into her upper abdomen.

Atlanta police say probe into Katie Janness murder moving in 'right direction'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member