GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they thought it was a hate crime, the Hate Crimes Unit would have been called. They weren't. It's the Behavioral Analysis Unit. I haven't had more time to figure out where I learned that, but I know it was a question I was trying for days to answer, and one day I did -- I just don't remember where/how. I wouldn't be saying it definitively if I hadn't proven it to myself. I honestly think some articles have been taken down. Maybe it was in the same story that they had to pull because Michael Seidan said something unconfirmed.
I think I found it. I think you mentioned a few pages back that you thought it was an interview transcript and it was. It’s long, so I’m also adding a screenshot of the relevant section.
CNN.com - Transcripts

Attachments

• BE1BD91A-9947-46B1-8203-EC21919ECD1D.jpeg
    BE1BD91A-9947-46B1-8203-EC21919ECD1D.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 48
In the press conference linked below, US Attorney Kurt Erskine introduces himself and Assistant Supervisory Agent-in-Charge Philip Wislar. ASAC agents are highly ranked field agents — second only to the Agent-in-Charge. It appears Agent Wislar is based out of Savannah. ATL has its own field office and agents, which leads me to believe that he was specifically assigned to this case for a reason.

Piedmont Park stabbing investigation | Fulton DA, federal officials speak on | 11alive.com

IIRC I don't believe they've released anything of the content of what he has said, just that he was being "cooperative", which means there is the possibility that he said he saw/didn't witness the murder, saw/didn't see bodies, see/didn't see anyone else in the vicinity (or technically, however unlikely, incriminated himself as the murderer).
I thought I had seen this from a different source, but here's one. Not sure if there is a LE source for it...

Police continue search for witnesses in fatal Atlanta park stabbing

Atlanta police said late Friday the jogger had not witnessed the crime.

I thought I had seen this from a different source, but here's one. Not sure if there is a LE source for it...

Police continue search for witnesses in fatal Atlanta park stabbing

Atlanta police said late Friday the jogger had not witnessed the crime.
Good catch, so if we believe that article it appears there might not be a known witness yet.
(though the 911 person in the background with Emma is pretty interesting)

Also nice, BGGS's memory has been vindicated. Per posting 541 above, we finally have a source for the FBI Behavioral (Analysis) Unit potentially being involved--Vincent Velazquez, a retired APD homicide detective, "Well, I think they are just providing the resources. The F.B.I. does not investigate homicide, as a statute. But I know from my sources that the Behavioral Analysis Unit for Quantico is assisting in trying to create a profile of who this person may be."
His interview per the transcript seemed somewhat sensationalist, but let's presume his sources are in the APD(?)
(Not that it is relevant to this case but he is prob. incorrect about the FBI not investigating homicides (by statute/law), in 1965 Congress passed a law that included investigations deaths of federal officials, especially by homicide, within FBI jurisdiction.)

As for the follow up pictures of the jogger that were later released, they were from the Beltline, see attachments for comparison. (note wall, sidewalk, garbage cans and camera positioning)

Attachments

• bl2.JPG
    bl2.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 36
  • New-potential-witness-Piedmont-Park-killing3.jpg
    New-potential-witness-Piedmont-Park-killing3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 43
  • New-potential-witness-Piedmont-Park-killing2.jpg
    New-potential-witness-Piedmont-Park-killing2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
It would be nice if the APD did a better job of updating the public instead of us having to piece it all together (not everyone has the luxury of multiple sleuths like here : )

This is the relevant page for updates on their site regarding this case from them:
News List | Atlanta Police Department

To be fair it looks like they might be a bit overwhelmed:
News | Atlanta Police Department

Aug 12 2021
PETA official hopes $20,000 reward will help in Piedmont Park murder case
''Rickman said a metro Atlanta area PETA donor offered to match that money.

"We're really hopeful that doubling the reward will help get a break in this case. $20,000 is quite a bit of money and a lot of folks are hurting right now and could really use that financial assistance," said Rickman. "We would be more than happy to part with that money if someone can give some information that would solve this case."

Anyone with information in the case should contact Atlanta Police Homicide at 404-546-4235 or Crimestoppers at 404-577-TIPS.''

So if cause of death was sharp force injuries to face, neck, and torso, does that mean a single one of those injuries didn't alone kill her (like a slash to the neck)? But instead death was likely caused by of the resulting blood loss from the injuries combined, or something? I'm not very familiar with medical examiner report procedure. Post-mortem injuries would not be included in the cause of death, right?
Right, TL4S & this report is just a summary released to the public/MSM.
The wording in this report makes me wonder if a knife was used. Sharp force injuries ? I've never seen that term used to describe a stabbing. Hopefully someone can enlighten me. Is that the normal phrase used for stabbing in a coroner's report? Is this why LE has stated this is an unusual case? Possibly they are not certain what type of weapon was used?

I grew up in this area and I’ve seen homeless people act pretty erratically. And rudely. All within a couple miles of Piedmont Park. I’ve had a homeless person reach into my car to grab money, I’ve had several get angry when I refused to give them money, I think it’s actually a pretty big problem here in Metro Atlanta. I’m not saying it’s entirely their fault by any means, I’m just stating facts here. I think this person could have been a homeless person with severe mental issues. However, I’m not sure how with that logic, they could escape the FBI and GBI. Sigh.
Homeless loitering is huge in Atlanta. My job has me travel to Midtown 4 to 5 days a week to W. Peachtree & North Avenue..probably 1-1 1/2 miles from Piedmont Park. I see tent cities under the bridges at the downtown connector near the State Capitol, another tent city on the south side of town off of I-75 South next to an old cemetary. There are usually people standing at exit and entrance ramps from/to the city to the connector, people sleeping on sidewalks right next to the street in the middle of the day, or on side streets next to office bldgs. Alot of people just wandering around or hanging around public transportation areas & the like. Also these people rent the electric skooters & bikes & you see them discarded everywhere...on the side of the expressway or even laying in the street. There are 2 units that work w/law enforcement to attempt to help these people. LE even has a '311' number to call to report them.

I agree about the time. There is some missing time between her stopping at Henry's and being caught on the camera at the crosswalk. so she clearly didn't proceed directly from Henry's to the Park. Her and Bowie must have wandered around a little bit first, then headed to the park. As for her not being caught on the camera at the Charles Allen gate, who knows. Perhaps the actual attack occurred a little further in. But that leads me to wonder what was Katie's planned route? Katie was apparently not afraid and often walked late at night. But even I an in shape good sized man would not proceed deep into that park at that time of night.
I think Katie & Bowie got to Henry's at 10th St. & Juniper St. around 11:30 & left closer to midnight. In Emma's interview w/11alive she wasn't really sure about the times. She was busy training new people & her normal job. After checking street view maps, I have decided when they crossed 10th from the SW corner to the SE corner (where Caribou Coffee is), they continued forward up Piedmont toward 12th St. IMO they crossed Piedmont at 11th St. & then I noticed a narrow straight st. that is named 12th St. but not connected to the main 12th St that deadends into the main entrance to the park. This street is about 100 yrds long & has nice residence bldgs on each side 4 floors high. I couldn't locate any cameras on this street. When you get to the end of this st. you can walk right into the park. There is a pet waste station there & a very good view of the meadow area sloping down. You can see all the walk paths. If you take the path to the right you will have to walk up alot of concrete steps & come out of the park at 10th St & Myrtle. If you go immediately to the left that path goes behind Willy's restaurant to the 12 St/Piedmont entrance. IMO this is what Emma meant when she stated Katie knew the area well, all the side streets, also when she stated Katie would walk from 10th to 12th or visa versa. This almost alley, 12th St. may have been the way they would go...quiet, almost no vehicle traffic & a straight shot into the park.

This is what the Fulton County Medical Examiner released to the press today. I think I may have posted the screenshot without a comment. I apologize for the lack of 'techno saavy'.

Thanks for the info. I don't know how you all find these things.

Last edited:
Here’s an article where an FBI spokesperson confirms their involvement. There are a few others, but this one actually names someone.

FBI joins investigation into killing of Katherine Janness, her dog in Atlanta park

interestingly enough, this article makes it a point to mention that police didn’t say how the dog was killed. I’m not sure if that’s been formally addressed by LE since or the media is assuming stabbing death because of Katie.
I'm not sure if anyone posted this:
<snipped & BBM>

Katie Janness, 40, was walking her dog, Bowie, in the city's Piedmont Park after midnight July 28 when someone attacked and killed them both, police said. They were found dead around 1:10 a.m., each with multiple stab wounds.

Atlanta stabbing deaths of dog owner, pet remain unsolved despite $20K in reward offers

I can only assume the jogger ran east on 10th, was captured on camera going in and out of the Charles Allen gate around 12:46, continued east on 10th, then turned north/northwest to run on the Beltline Trail, where he was captured again on camera. This is my guess since we don't have a time stamp for the Beltline photos (that I'm aware of).

I have never thought the jogger coming out of the gate seemed like he'd seen anything to spook him in those 41 seconds, but now, knowing he also chose to run the Beltline, I'm even more convinced he saw nothing to make him avoid the park.

Between the entrance lighting, the jogger's headlamp, Bowie reportedly visible from the gate, and Katie visible to the 911 bystander (and Emma, but she was actively looking for her), I am still thinking the bodies were not yet there at 12:46. JMO

All that said, I will acknowledge that if they were behind the bathroom, and the jogger didn't go that far in, maybe he missed it. But Emma apparently saw Bowie from the gate, so...

Last edited:
It would be nice if the APD did a better job of updating the public instead of us having to piece it all together (not everyone has the luxury of multiple sleuths like here : )

This is the relevant page for updates on their site regarding this case from them:
News List | Atlanta Police Department

To be fair it looks like they might be a bit overwhelmed:
News | Atlanta Police Department
From the first link:

The victim and her dog were killed inside the park.

I've assumed they were killed where they were found, but does anyone local know if other areas of the park were searched?

I think Katie & Bowie got to Henry's at 10th St. & Juniper St. around 11:30 & left closer to midnight. In Emma's interview w/11alive she wasn't really sure about the times. She was busy training new people & her normal job. After checking street view maps, I have decided when they crossed 10th from the SW corner to the SE corner (where Caribou Coffee is), they continued forward up Piedmont toward 12th St. IMO they crossed Piedmont at 11th St. & then I noticed a narrow straight st. that is named 12th St. but not connected to the main 12th St that deadends into the main entrance to the park. This street is about 100 yrds long & has nice residence bldgs on each side 4 floors high. I couldn't locate any cameras on this street. When you get to the end of this st. you can walk right into the park. There is a pet waste station there & a very good view of the meadow area sloping down. You can see all the walk paths. If you take the path to the right you will have to walk up alot of concrete steps & come out of the park at 10th St & Myrtle. If you go immediately to the left that path goes behind Willy's restaurant to the 12 St/Piedmont entrance. IMO this is what Emma meant when she stated Katie knew the area well, all the side streets, also when she stated Katie would walk from 10th to 12th or visa versa. This almost alley, 12th St. may have been the way they would go...quiet, almost no vehicle traffic & a straight shot into the park.

@AtlantaBourne I totally agree this is a possibility, and cannot be ruled out.

That being said, as someone who lives near Katie, and does the same walk with dogs often, I really dont think she would go this way--at least I wouldn't. The 12th street lane that goes directly into the park is not well lit, it's realllly secluded. The options once you enter the park are basically go to the right aka "double back to an easier entrance (10th/Myrtle)" or to the left which connects you to the more commonly used 12th street entrance.

I am having a hard time thinking that anyone would want to "go left" (or enter PP through the 12th street bridge entrance) because the only paths are directly on the lake which is pretty during the daytime, but super dark at night and just sketchy overall. I wouldn't want to do it as a fit man with dogs--I don't really think she would want to add an extra mile to her walk, through a sketchier part of the park after already having walked probably 2 miles at that point in the night (12AM.)

The resting spot of Bowie and Katie also lead me to believe she was closer to 10th street originally--not coming from the larger "road" that starts at 12the entrance and runs next to the Lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95