GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I missed it?!? Lol. I've been sitting here for an hour waiting. All I see is:

"The Live Video Should Start Soon
You'll be able to watch the live video when the event host goes live."

So nothing new then?

I have been refreshing all day, every day, looking for info about this case since it happened, and feel so much anxiety and fear. I cannot imagine being local!

I relate to this description 100%. I am local, (though about 5 miles away). Nothing has rattled me quite like this. I feel so much anxiety and fear as well. I feel like LE is on this case in ways we can't imagine and I pray the case breaks v soon.

Partner of woman killed in Piedmont Park feels lost without her ‘favorite person in the world’ –– WSB-TV
<snipped>

Clark said her nightmare began July 27, around 11 p.m. Janness came to see her at work, then went to walk their dog, Bowie.

So Katie was at Henry's at 11pm. We don't know how long she stayed, but I'm guessing not long since she had the dog plus Emma was at work so wouldn't be visiting that long. Couldn't have been an hour. She's then seen an hour later a block away at the rainbow crosswalk. What happened in that hour when she was walking the dog. I doubt it was normal for her to walk her dog for 2 hours. Timeline is not adding up.

I work with dogs and most pits I see are mix and are just fine. Staffordshire terriors I am not fond of their temperament. But both are short breeds so they jump up at you or if you try to separate .. unfortunately you are right over top of them...and they are bred to go for neck....but I can totally see this being started by a dog issue. Moo

I missed it?!? Lol. I've been sitting here for an hour waiting. All I see is:

"The Live Video Should Start Soon
You'll be able to watch the live video when the event host goes live."

So nothing new then?

I have been refreshing all day, every day, looking for info about this case since it happened, and feel so much anxiety and fear. I cannot imagine being local!

I relate to this description 100%. I am local, (though about 5 miles away). Nothing has rattled me quite like this. I feel so much anxiety and fear as well. I feel like LE is on this case in ways we can't imagine and I pray the case breaks v
A question for you folks familiar with the park and the area. Are those mostly apartment buildings around the park or is it a mix of office buildings and shops?

It's condos, bars, apartments, restos, 2 schools, a country club, botanical garden surrounding the park. Directly across from the Charles Allen gate (behind which, they were found), is a condo development and a school.

Last edited:
I don't believe this article has been quoted here yet, but it gives Emma's account of where and how she found the bodies of Katie and Bowie that adds more context.

'She was already gone' | Wife of Piedmont Park stabbing victim describes discovering murder scene –– 11 Alive
<snipped>

"The first thing I noticed is I saw Bowie," Clark explained. "He was visible from the gate of the park. He was maybe 50 feet from the gate on the inside and she was further on the right. I just ran in and I grabbed him because I didn't know, maybe he was still alive. Obviously, I knew something was wrong because he was just laying there. I didn't put two and two together because I didn't notice her right away."

Atlanta Police released audio to 11Alive of the 911 call from Clark the moment she found her wife and dog in the gruesome scene at the park. Clark is audibly weeping as she pleads with the 911 operator to send help. We are not sharing the 911 call out of respect for Janness and her family.

Clark said she initially suspected Bowie, Janness' dog, was hit by a car as they sometimes go through the road area of the park. However, when she began calling for her wife she noticed Janness' body, "maybe 100 feet away."

"I ran up to her, I tried to feel for a pulse but it was clear that she was gone. I turned around and I just ran out of the park," she described. "It was dark, and I didn't know what was going on. I was terrified and shocked. That's when I called the cops immediately."

I work with dogs and most pits I see are mix and are just fine. Staffordshire terriors I am not fond of their temperament. But both are short breeds so they jump up at you or if you try to separate .. unfortunately you are right over top of them...and they are bred to go for neck....but I can totally see this being started by a dog issue. Moo
The disfigurement aspect doesn't fit that to me.To me that is more someone on the hunt that night.

and the other person who was there when KJ's partner called 911. I would like to hear more from THAT person.

True. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s already given a statement. It looks like he just stumbled upon the after math much like the girlfriend did. The AJC ran an article where this woman mentioned her roommate had come home late from work crying because he saw the dog in the street. He asked if he could help and a handful of people at the scene told him that he “didn’t want to see what they saw”. So I’m sure those people all have statements but it’ll be interesting if they saw anyone fleeing.

If this was started by a dog issue and escalated to Katie being killed I do not think the crime scene would look like something Atlanta homicide says they’ve never seen before. I don’t think it would necessarily result in disfigurement and some thing that when the chief of police saw it he calls in the FBI (this is from Tuesday's pc). But of course anything is possible.
it has been reported that Bowie died trying to defend Katie.
Granted I am bias but unless I hear something different from authorities it is my opinion that Bowie was a very good dog, a hero and a victim.

So Katie was at Henry's at 11pm. We don't know how long she stayed, but I'm guessing not long since she had the dog plus Emma was at work so wouldn't be visiting that long. Couldn't have been an hour. She's then seen an hour later a block away at the rainbow crosswalk. What happened in that hour when she was walking the dog. I doubt it was normal for her to walk her dog for 2 hours. Timeline is not adding up.

I am confused by this as well.
Was she followed maybe?
I heard or read somewhere she liked to listen to podcasts a lot. Maybe she got really invested in one and walked longer to listen. Maybe to again meet up with Emma after work, when she gets off, so they can walk home together?

There are so many things I just don’t understand and can’t wrap my head around.

I can think of a callous and quick stabbing being related to the dog starting something, but the brutality of the crime seems too depraved to be an impulsive attack caused by the perpetrator’s anger with a nuisance like a dog. You never know though. Hm.

the second person...who was that.....if they ran over to the body and attempted cpr then they would be covered with blood. just like the perp. who may have been hanging around still. could they be the same person??

The disfigurement aspect doesn't fit that to me.To me that is more someone on the hunt that night.
HOW did nobody see this happen.
@moonriverfarm Exactly.

<modsnip>

Different terms being used by Emma. This is common in the LGBTQ community (of which I am a member). Before ss marriage legalization, we self-authorized to use terms interchangeably. With girlfriend /partner/wife often times meaning the same thing: lifelong commitment and devotion. From what I've gleaned, they considered themselves married.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip>
It appears that Emma and Katie used different terms. They apparently referred to each other as wife, but in the 911 call, Emma calls Katie her "girlfriend." So they maybe weren't legally married, and just used both terms interchangeably.

<modsnip>

From the in person interview with Emma it was said they considered each other life partners. In the 911 call she said girlfriend and maybe because not legally married.

This is the first case I've posted on, but how normal is it for the partner of the murder victim who discovered the body to be doing interviews directly after? Not speculating only wondering if this is common with partners.

media is sloppy when in a hurry to break a story. Does their relationship status make a difference - whether coupled or married? Just trying to see why it would matter.
Good question. It matters because a majority of crimes (~55%) are committed by people who know victim. Additionally the 'gruesome' nature of the crime may hint towards a personal motive.

From the in person interview with Emma it was said they considered each other life partners. In the 911 call she said girlfriend and maybe because not legally married.

This is the first case I've posted on, but how normal is it for the partner of the murder victim who discovered the body to be doing interviews directly after? Not speculating only wondering if this is common with partners.
People handle grief differently. Some just shut down, some want to get out and talk. Some of her comments have seemed odd to me to be honest. But I think she is just in shock.

I may not be the Best, most experienced poster to answer this question but I think the answer is that we have seen all sorts of reactions from loved ones. I don’t think it’s uncommon for a significant other to do interviews. I think it varies greatly by individuals.
I have noticed several times that a WS poster has brought attention to the fact that they think a spouse is being untruthful in an interview. And then days or weeks or months later it turns out they were right.
I have not seen that happen in this case.
She or her father may think that this is the best way to keep Katie‘s name out there and attention on the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95