GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy in the white tank top exiting the park with the cane…there’s speculation that he has blood on his shirt. At first I thought that too, but in the video it looks like a “purse” or bag bc I see a strap across his chest. It’s hard to tell bc it is blurred some. Idk. Thoughts?
Why leave a bloody shirt on? He could just take it off.

He’s leaving the park at 12:25. Katie was still at the rainbow crosswalk at 12:09ish...I doubt he’s involved.

Just curious, but what makes you think she entered at Piedmont / 12th? There is no fence around much if the park, including along 10th St heading east toward Charles Allen from the rainbow crosswalk intersection where she was seen on video (10th and Piedmont).

It's posted in the thread. I've explained to another commenter as well. As we all know this is all speculation. But what can be figured out is a rough timing from the cross walk to the Charles Allen entrance which makes any way she got to the Charles Allen entrance highly unlikely that the white tank top had enough time.

Thank you for this. I was rereading the relevant posts that led up to what you just wrote about "the second guy" and blood and scratching my head. Not at all shading that poster but couldn't figure out the CPR and trace evidence comments etc. I agree with your take completely.
Thank you for this. I was rereading the relevant posts that led up to what you just wrote about "the second guy" and blood and scratching my head. Not at all shading that poster but couldn't figure out the CPR and trace evidence comments etc. I agree with your take completely.

Yeah sorry for sounding indignant everyone. No shade meant either but I think there is a line when it comes to reckless speculation. These people have been through enough.

Someone posted what Emma said earlier on this thread. That she usually took the 12th street entrance into the park.
I would be very surprised if not a single one of the businesses along the park on that route didn't have cameras. Attached is a possible alternate route, which may fit the timeline a little better as well. (all conjecture and caveats apply)

Attachments

• jk_rt_poss.jpg
    jk_rt_poss.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 48
I haven't had a chance to read every post, so I apologize in advance if some of this is irrelevant and I don't have all of the facts straight.

Regarding timeline:

• KJ was at Henry's at 11:30 or so. Could someone confirm if she had Bowie with her at the time, or was she heading home to get Bowie to take him out for walk?
  • KJ was captured on camera at 10th & Piedmont at 12:09? (or was it 12:07?). This is only one building away from where she worked. Did she wander by the patio/restaurant and chat to anyone? Or did anyone see her from the patio?
  • We don't know her typical dog-walking route. Did she normally walk down 10th or did she head to the Piedmont/12th entrance and walk toward the 10th and Charles Allen entrance? Regardless, she was likely in the park by 12:15 or so.
  • Emma messaged/called her to check on when KJ expected to be home. No response. Let's presume that she messages/calls occurred around 12:35 or 12:45. Emma then used the phone location app and watched it for a few minutes and determined it wasn't moving. She likely called a couple more times and at 12:45-12:50 she decided to go and look.
  • Emma drove to the area and checked the streets; then parked (5 minutes).
  • Emma walked into the park to discover Bowie...likely stayed with him for 2 minutes or so, before realizing the possible implications for KJ. (2 minutes)
  • Emma found KJ. Checked her pulse. wonders what to do and then runs out the park exit. (2 minutes)
  • Calls police.
Based on the imagined timeline, the attack happened between 12:25 - 12:40

Last edited:
Regarding jogging man...he HAD to have seen something. Emma said Bowie could be seen from the gates to the park and she didn't have the benefit of a headlamp. I understand that runners can be hyper-focused, but I still lean to believing that he:
- ran into the park for 10 seconds
- saw a creature beside the path. Checked it out. Pondered what to do. (10-15 seconds)
- ran back out of the park (10 seconds)

I haven't had a chance to read every post, so I apologize in advance if some of this is irrelevant and I don't have all of the facts straight.

Regarding timeline:

• KJ was at Henry's at 11:30 or so. Could someone confirm if she had Bowie with her at the time, or was she heading home to get Bowie to take him out for walk?
  • KJ was captured on camera at 10th & Piedmont at 12:09? (or was it 12:07?). This is only one building away from where she worked. Did she wander by the patio/restaurant and chat to anyone? Or did anyone see her from the patio?
  • We don't know her typical dog-walking route. Did she normally walk down 10th or did she head to the Piedmont/12th entrance and walk toward the 10th and Charles Allen entrance? Regardless, she was likely in the park by 12:15 or so.
  • Emma messaged/called her to check on when KJ expected to be home. No response. Let's presume that the messages/calls occurred around 12:35 or 12:45. Emma then used the phone location app and watched it for a few minutes and determined it wasn't moving. She likely called a couple more times and at 12:45-12:50 she decided to go and look.
  • Emma walked into the park to discover Bowie...likely stayed with him for 2 minutes or so, before realizing the possible implications for KJ. (2 minutes)
  • Emma found KJ. Checked her pulse. wonders what to do and then runs out the park exit. (2 minutes)
  • Calls police.
I'd add that the jogger entered and exited the gate at 12:46, for 41 seconds. He would have to have seen the dog, at the very least, if the crime had happened by then.

The guy in the white tank top exiting the park with the cane…there’s speculation that he has blood on his shirt. At first I thought that too, but in the video it looks like a “purse” or bag bc I see a strap across his chest. It’s hard to tell bc it is blurred some. Idk. Thoughts?
Why leave a bloody shirt on? He could just take it off.
Agree, at first it appeared to be a red stain, but upon closer look it seems to be a clutch purse/agenda type thing tucked under the arm, speculation, imo.

Regarding jogging man...he HAD to have seen something. Emma said Bowie could be seen from the gates to the park and she didn't have the benefit of a headlamp. I understand that runners can be hyper-focused, but I still lean to believing that he:
- ran into the park for 10 seconds
- saw a creature beside the path. Checked it out. Pondered what to do. (10-15 seconds)
- ran back out of the park (10 seconds)
Two things we don't know. 1) Was Bowie found on the East or West side of Charles Allen path. 2) Did she (Emma) possibly turn in the entrance with her car in which case her headlights would offer far greater visibility.

It's posted in the thread. I've explained to another commenter as well. As we all know this is all speculation. But what can be figured out is a rough timing from the cross walk to the Charles Allen entrance which makes any way she got to the Charles Allen entrance highly unlikely that the white tank top had enough time.
I read that the park’s cameras aren’t yet tied into the city’s camera system. If the cameras at the Piedmont/12th St gate and the 10th St/Charles Allen gate are in a different system than the camera at the 10th St/Piedmont intersection (and I don’t know that they are), could there be a slight difference in time between the two systems? I guess there’s no reason to think that either system would be incorrect or that they wouldn’t at least be very close, but even 5-10 minutes might make a big difference. Does anybody know whether the cameras showing the park gates are on the city’s system?

Last edited:
Another interesting thing to add to her walking route: The picture of her crossing the rainbow crosswalk, it looks like she is on the corner where the Zocalos Mexican restaurant is located (there was a bar there too, but I think it's gone and cant remember the name). You can tell from the white pole in the picture. This would be on the opposite side of 10th St. from Henry's where she was apparently coming from seeing Emma. In the picture she is crossing over 10th towards the Caribou Coffee. Not sure why she crossed 10th street from Henrys in that one/two-ish block(s), but might have been due to her dog and other people around. I've had to change my route many times to keep my dogs away from other dogs. Find it interesting though that she crossed at some point in the opposite direction before getting to Piedmont Ave. because the other side of the street is on the park.

Katie worked at Campagnola Restaurant & Bar. This is located 1 building southwest of 1oth & Piedmont. Is it possible she stopped in there for some reason after chatting with Emma at Henrys?

Last edited:
EXCLUSIVE: Full interview with partner of Katie Janness

I think it's important to watch what Emma says after the murder since there is so much speculation. She says that she saw Katie at 11:30pm, Bowie went to Henrys with Katie, Emma was driving around looking for her while waiting for the location to ping, then she saw that it was standing still and went to the location. She also says that she doesn't know what route she takes but thinks she takes different routes because she knows Midtown so well. I would trust her as the source for timing rather than the different things that have been posted here/in articles.

I read that the park’s cameras aren’t yet tied into the city’s camera system. If the cameras at the Piedmont/12th St gate and the 10th St/Charles Allen gate are in a different system than the camera at the 10th St/Piedmont intersection (and I don’t know that they are), could there be a slight difference in time between the two systems? I guess there’s no reason to think that either system would be incorrect or that they wouldn’t at least be very close, but even 5-10 minutes might make a big difference. Does anybody know whether the cameras showing the park gates are on the city’s system?

I believe all images released by APD are from city cameras that were located outside the park on the stoplights.

That's interesting. I do have to wonder if her walking route was longer than is being assumed and the murder actually happened AFTER the runner came in and out of the park, so in the space of 12:46-1ish am. 15-20 minutes seems like more than enough time for it to happen, imo. Honestly, the less time they were there, the less likely anyone else saw anything. I wish we knew what time exactly her gf was trying to contact her.

I'm having trouble with this timeline if we assume that:
- Emma tried to reach KJ by text/phone a number of times
- then checked phone location. observed it for a while to confirm it wasn't moving
- then called a couple more times
- then drove to and around the area
- then parked and walked into the park
- then found Bowie...checked him out and hugged him
- Then walked a short distance and found KJ. Checked her pulse. Got fearful and ran out of the park
- Called 911. spoke for a couple of minutes.
- LE showed up several minutes later.

There is no way that KJ was killed close to 1:00.
JMO, naturally.

Regarding timeline:

• Emma messaged/called her to check on when KJ expected to be home. No response. Let's presume that she messages/calls occurred around 12:35 or 12:45. Emma then used the phone location app and watched it for a few minutes and determined it wasn't moving. She likely called a couple more times and at 12:45-12:50 she decided to go and look.
  • Calls police.

And just to add...that the attack would have taken at least 10 minutes. So I presume that the attack started at 12:25-12:40 and went to 12:35 - 12:50.

Katie wouldn't have been able to answer her phone or reply to texts during the attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003