GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just posted this article in this probably unrelated thread concerning a particularly gruesome & cruel murder of a 42 year old woman after she left a bar.
An explosive device was inserted into her private body cavity while she was still alive.
The reason Katie came to mind wrt to that case, is because of what was said about the FBI quietly keeping an eye on the possible POI due to the maliciousness of the act, .
Hoping something similar is going on with KJ's murder too, fwiw, imo, speculation.

Aug 15 2023 rbbm.
''Carol was technically still alive, although not feeling any pain, she was comatose and unconscious. It’s an especially evil, sadistic kind of person that would commit a crime like this. Because Carol wasn’t the type of person to hurt anybody. This was just pure evil.''

And what would cause someone to kill so sadistically? FBI profilers have also been consulted on the case.

“They had frankly never seen anything like this. So I don’t know what it was that set him off, we periodically check on him,” said Fitzpatrick.

Justice for Katie & Bowie!
I’m becoming very disheartened. My belief is that the police have been and are doing all they can amidst the ongoing cases that continue to be put on their desks; perhaps evidence was compromised at the very beginning; maybe as mentioned previously, any DNA found was not in the database; IMO, there are reasons this murder, as with so many others, may not be solved. I hope that it will be so we all might get the answers we’ve been looking for. Katie and Bowie do deserve justice as do many others. <3

I’m becoming very disheartened. My belief is that the police have been and are doing all they can amidst the ongoing cases that continue to be put on their desks; perhaps evidence was compromised at the very beginning; maybe as mentioned previously, any DNA found was not in the database; IMO, there are reasons this murder, as with so many others, may not be solved. I hope that it will be so we all might get the answers we’ve been looking for. Katie and Bowie do deserve justice as do many others. <3
I can really understand being disheartened. It seems like there should be so much evidence with such a horrific crime. And, even more difficult that the APD has chosen to share such a small amount of information, even after two years.

I just learned about this a few months ago. Hard to believe, particularly since I live in a community with a large LGBTQ+ community here in Northern California. Since I read the first story, I have been reading everything I can find, including all the posts on these threads. Though I am an attorney (retired), I am pretty familiar with high profile crimes, especially, serial sexual sadist murders. I was in Utah going to law school when Ted Bundy was coming through and then in Santa Cruz when they were trying to find Ed Kemper. Both were serial sexual sadists. IMO, KJ's murderer is a sexual sadist. It has all the elements of sexual sadism(which by the way usually does not include any rape or other sexual acts). These monsters get their sexual gratification from stabbing or strangling their victim. In stabbings, most of the infliction of wounds are done while the victim is alive. It is the fear and pain that meets their horrific needs.

Here is some of my analysis of KJ's and Bowie's murders. It is all speculation based on the facts I have read in the various news accounts and some of the facts from these posts . These posts have been very interesting and very insightful. I'm just going to bullet point some of what struck me and then perhaps I can do another post or two in more depth if anyone is interested. And, based on what I know about sexual sadists.
  • he has/or is living in Midtown and knows it well;
  • while I don't think he or KJ knew each other, he likely saw her at work or walking in the neighborhoods and he may have looked familiar to KJ;
  • knows PP extremely well and knows who is in the park in the early morning hours; has likely been studying this area for a very long time; that may be how he identified KJ for his attack;
  • I don't know for sure because I'm not that familiar with PP but my best guess is that there are few to no women who walk through the park alone in the early morning hours, which is why he may have decided on KJ even though she walked with her pitfall, Bowie;
  • he is likely living within a 3-5 mile radius of the park; these killers like to murder in areas where they live or have lived;
  • he's likely comfortable in Midtown because he has likely had adult homosexual experiences and may be a cross dresser sometimes (these are common characteristics of some sexual sadists) and may have engaged in consensual sadistic encounters
  • he probably is 30-35 yrs old; has a job and may or may not be married
  • he has likely engaged in prior offenses other than murders such as assaults with a knife; peeping tom; killing animals early in his adolescence;
  • he is probably reserved, quiet and somewhat socially ackward; if you hung around him you would probably think he was odd but not dangerous
  • most important, he has been fantasizing about this murder (not necessarily KJ) for years, over time he would have added to the fantasy and finally decided to kill when the fantasy itself was not enough;
  • he may not be a serial; but if he is, it could be a few years before he does it again;
  • I think there may be a connection with the Patrick Boland stabbing and the stabbing 15 minutes later
  • I have not found how Bowie was killed, so this last conjecture of mine may be totally off, but I think he killer used a gun with a silencer
  • finally, I think KJ and Bowie entered PP from the 12th/Piedmont entrance and were walking to the 10th St./CA entrance and the murderer was ready as this was a well planned, well organized murder
That's probably way more than enough.

I finally just want to say how grieved I am at Emma's loss and the further trauma of finding both KJ and Bowie herself. I have no doubt whatsoever that Emma is not the killer nor involved in any way. Unless you have been through what she has, we are in absolutely no position to judge how she has or is handling all this. On behalf of KJ and Bowie, Emma deserves everyone's empathy and support.

I hope the APD are handling this investigation correctly. I have my concerns.

I can really understand being disheartened. It seems like there should be so much evidence with such a horrific crime. And, even more difficult that the APD has chosen to share such a small amount of information, even after two years.

I just learned about this a few months ago. Hard to believe, particularly since I live in a community with a large LGBTQ+ community here in Northern California. Since I read the first story, I have been reading everything I can find, including all the posts on these threads. Though I am an attorney (retired), I am pretty familiar with high profile crimes, especially, serial sexual sadist murders. I was in Utah going to law school when Ted Bundy was coming through and then in Santa Cruz when they were trying to find Ed Kemper. Both were serial sexual sadists. IMO, KJ's murderer is a sexual sadist. It has all the elements of sexual sadism(which by the way usually does not include any rape or other sexual acts). These monsters get their sexual gratification from stabbing or strangling their victim. In stabbings, most of the infliction of wounds are done while the victim is alive. It is the fear and pain that meets their horrific needs.

Here is some of my analysis of KJ's and Bowie's murders. It is all speculation based on the facts I have read in the various news accounts and some of the facts from these posts . These posts have been very interesting and very insightful. I'm just going to bullet point some of what struck me and then perhaps I can do another post or two in more depth if anyone is interested. And, based on what I know about sexual sadists.
  • he has/or is living in Midtown and knows it well;
  • while I don't think he or KJ knew each other, he likely saw her at work or walking in the neighborhoods and he may have looked familiar to KJ;
  • knows PP extremely well and knows who is in the park in the early morning hours; has likely been studying this area for a very long time; that may be how he identified KJ for his attack;
  • I don't know for sure because I'm not that familiar with PP but my best guess is that there are few to no women who walk through the park alone in the early morning hours, which is why he may have decided on KJ even though she walked with her pitfall, Bowie;
  • he is likely living within a 3-5 mile radius of the park; these killers like to murder in areas where they live or have lived;
  • he's likely comfortable in Midtown because he has likely had adult homosexual experiences and may be a cross dresser sometimes (these are common characteristics of some sexual sadists) and may have engaged in consensual sadistic encounters
  • he probably is 30-35 yrs old; has a job and may or may not be married
  • he has likely engaged in prior offenses other than murders such as assaults with a knife; peeping tom; killing animals early in his adolescence;
  • he is probably reserved, quiet and somewhat socially ackward; if you hung around him you would probably think he was odd but not dangerous
  • most important, he has been fantasizing about this murder (not necessarily KJ) for years, over time he would have added to the fantasy and finally decided to kill when the fantasy itself was not enough;
  • he may not be a serial; but if he is, it could be a few years before he does it again;
  • I think there may be a connection with the Patrick Boland stabbing and the stabbing 15 minutes later
  • I have not found how Bowie was killed, so this last conjecture of mine may be totally off, but I think he killer used a gun with a silencer
  • finally, I think KJ and Bowie entered PP from the 12th/Piedmont entrance and were walking to the 10th St./CA entrance and the murderer was ready as this was a well planned, well organized murder
That's probably way more than enough.

I finally just want to say how grieved I am at Emma's loss and the further trauma of finding both KJ and Bowie herself. I have no doubt whatsoever that Emma is not the killer nor involved in any way. Unless you have been through what she has, we are in absolutely no position to judge how she has or is handling all this. On behalf of KJ and Bowie, Emma deserves everyone's empathy and support.

I hope the APD are handling this investigation correctly. I have my concerns.
Welcome to Ws @RetLawyer, thank you for the very interesting and informative post!
This is the Ws thread for Patrick Boland..

I feel like Bowie is almost the most important part of this puzzle, and I don't mean that as any kind of insult to KJ.

If the attacker was a stranger, you'd expect Bowie to have defended KJ against the attacker--unless Bowie was muzzled, but even then Bowie's claws would have been plenty effective. The attacker should have been injured unless they were either known to Bowie, or Bowie was subdued before he could do anything.

Without getting Bowie out of the way the attack on KJ couldn't have happened, so I feel he's arguably the most crucial aspect of the case. And it's notable that LE aren't saying much about him.

I feel like Bowie is almost the most important part of this puzzle, and I don't mean that as any kind of insult to KJ.

If the attacker was a stranger, you'd expect Bowie to have defended KJ against the attacker--unless Bowie was muzzled, but even then Bowie's claws would have been plenty effective. The attacker should have been injured unless they were either known to Bowie, or Bowie was subdued before he could do anything.

Without getting Bowie out of the way the attack on KJ couldn't have happened, so I feel he's arguably the most crucial aspect of the case. And it's notable that LE aren't saying much about him.
I agree that the attack with Bowie present is important. Why would someone do it, and how. I would assume Bowie would need to be killed first. I seem to recall that police had said Bowie died of stab wounds. Can anyone recall or refer to a link, etc. I don't think he was shot. Also, I believe Atlanta is a city that employs Shot-Spotter. I don't know what areas it covers, but even a suppressed shot would likely be detected.

I am not generalizing dog behavior, but if Bowie was a friendly, socialized pet, as it appears he was, and if the perpetrator knew the victim well enough for a casual nod, it wouldn't surprise me if he came up to the victim and Bowie, bent over to greet the dog, and in one motion, sliced his jugular. It would have appeared to be a simple, normal greeting to the dog and owner. By the time Katherine would have realized danger, the perpetrator would have already stabbed her as well.

Bowie, as a smooth coat dog, wouldn't have even had a lot of fur to contend with.

Sorry to be so graphic in the speculation, but it can happen that fast.

Our dog was a Bassett Hound, and seriously, anyone with a cookie was his bestie. He was not a guard dog, watch dog, and really more stupid than protecting. So, if Bowie was like this, just a goof ball, it would have been pretty easy.

I agree that the attack with Bowie present is important. Why would someone do it, and how. I would assume Bowie would need to be killed first. I seem to recall that police had said Bowie died of stab wounds. Can anyone recall or refer to a link, etc. I don't think he was shot. Also, I believe Atlanta is a city that employs Shot-Spotter. I don't know what areas it covers, but even a suppressed shot would likely be detected.
Katherine Janness, 40, was found just inside an entrance to Piedmont Park around 1 a.m. on July 28, 2021. She had been stabbed multiple times, and her dog, Bowie, was found nearby also stabbed to death.

Katherine Janness, 40, was found just inside an entrance to Piedmont Park around 1 a.m. on July 28, 2021. She had been stabbed multiple times, and her dog, Bowie, was found nearby also stabbed to death.
Thanks Dotr. I knew I had read that early on. And I agree with mickey2942 that if the assailant was known to Bowie, he could have approached easily. But I have always thought that if the killer was someone known to Katie, the police would have made a connection already. But maybe not. I haven't really heard, did Katie and Emma have a large or small circle of friends? How many people would Bowie be familiar and comfortable enough with to allow them to approach at night like that?

Thanks Dotr. I knew I had read that early on. And I agree with mickey2942 that if the assailant was known to Bowie, he could have approached easily. But I have always thought that if the killer was someone known to Katie, the police would have made a connection already. But maybe not. I haven't really heard, did Katie and Emma have a large or small circle of friends? How many people would Bowie be familiar and comfortable enough with to allow them to approach at night like that?

When you think about people who you have a "relationship" with, it is an expanding circle, that no else may even know.

For example, I have a "relationship" with the guy as the 7-11, I see him every few days, go in to buy a lottery ticket, we shoot the breeze for a few minutes, no big deal. If I saw him casually at the park, I would probably smile at him. If he came over to pet my dog, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable.

Does anyone else know about this "relationship"? No. Because it isn't really even a social acquaintance, so, think about these casual encounters and everyone has them...those are the ones that are completely under the radar.

I am saddened by the lack of progress on this case. Katie seemed like a lovely young woman.

JMO: I think this crime was committed by someone known slightly to Katie or her partner and was rooted in a crush, jealousy, and homophobia.

Katie and her partner both worked in the service industry. IMO that means that they both would have had a wide circle of slight acquaintances from among the people they had waited on at the bar/restaurant. I also believe that working as a server or bartender creates a risk that an unbalanced person will mistake friendly and courteous customer service for some kind of a relationship or reciprocated affection. I hope that the police have checked out regular customers at both of these women's places of businesses.

My personal guess is that the bar/restaurant was how this person came into their lives and that this was targeted and planned. If this was a random crime by a person who experienced a mental break I don't see how they could have stabilized themselves afterwards and avoided detection and further crimes, unless they committed suicide or were taken into custody for other reasons.

Regarding stabbing a pitbull, fwiw.. rbbm
'May 25, 2014
A woman used a filet knife to kill two pit bulls that got out of a yard while she was walking her dogs in a Southern California desert city.'

https://www.charlotteobserver.com › article124904

'Jan 6, 2017 — A 50-year-old man told police he stabbed a dog he described as a pit bull “at least 20 times” after it attacked his dog as they were walking'​

'The pit bull bit the smaller dog. The pug's 72-year-old owner pulled out a folding knife he was carrying and stabbed the pit bull, killing it'.

''Knives are next to useless​

A charging dog is coming much faster than a pillow, and the number of places where the dog can be stopped by slashing or stabbing are very few — and even if one happened to hit one of those vital spots, momentum would carry the dog on forward.

A dog meeting a knife blade will already be no more than arm’s length away when the knife strikes, so will be on the user, probably slightly injured and even more infuriated, in a split second.''

''Cyberspace is, to be sure, full of stories about how people allegedly stabbed pit bulls and other dogs to break off attacks, but close examination shows that in every case the dog was attacking someone else, or some other animal, and that because the dog was fixated on the original victim, the person with the knife had the luxury of being able to stab from behind, sometimes repeatedly, as the knife struck bones and failed to penetrate deeply on the first effort.''

Regarding stabbing a pitbull, fwiw.. rbbm
'May 25, 2014
A woman used a filet knife to kill two pit bulls that got out of a yard while she was walking her dogs in a Southern California desert city.'

https://www.charlotteobserver.com › article124904

'Jan 6, 2017 — A 50-year-old man told police he stabbed a dog he described as a pit bull “at least 20 times” after it attacked his dog as they were walking'​

'The pit bull bit the smaller dog. The pug's 72-year-old owner pulled out a folding knife he was carrying and stabbed the pit bull, killing it'.

''Knives are next to useless​

A charging dog is coming much faster than a pillow, and the number of places where the dog can be stopped by slashing or stabbing are very few — and even if one happened to hit one of those vital spots, momentum would carry the dog on forward.

A dog meeting a knife blade will already be no more than arm’s length away when the knife strikes, so will be on the user, probably slightly injured and even more infuriated, in a split second.''

''Cyberspace is, to be sure, full of stories about how people allegedly stabbed pit bulls and other dogs to break off attacks, but close examination shows that in every case the dog was attacking someone else, or some other animal, and that because the dog was fixated on the original victim, the person with the knife had the luxury of being able to stab from behind, sometimes repeatedly, as the knife struck bones and failed to penetrate deeply on the first effort.''
Very interesting. It just makes it more confusing as to how this offender was able to kill Bowie.

Last edited:
Here is an article about characteristics of sexual sadists. It was written in 1970 but is still a basic, accurate description. It was published in Medicine, Science and the Law and titled, The Sadistic Murderer.

Also attached is a second more recent article that is longer and more statistically based but draws the same basic conclusions as the first.

Assuming the APD doesn’t have a strong POI, it could be helpful for them to release some of the criminal profile created for them by the FBI. It could jog someone’s memory or help them identify a person fitting the profile; if so, that information should be given to APD.

Attachments

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exam_Dumps
Back