GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I hope I am wrong, but it doesn't seem like good news on this case.

I agree, it seemed like they are going to need a lead like a linkage between this murder and other assaults to turn up, or a new technology to come into play for evidence they already have, or for someone to come forward with information.

I agree, it seemed like they are going to need a lead like a linkage between this murder and other assaults to turn up, or a new technology to come into play for evidence they already have, or for someone to come forward with information.
If they got any DNA at all, which I think we all assumed the must, it apparently hasn't matched anyone yet.

Last edited:
well that was a disappointing press conference with no update, they sure are keeping what they have very close to their chest, that is if they have anything of meaning , 2 years is a long time with nothing!
Certainly the police have evidence we don't know about. But it must be a bit limited and not stuff the release of which will assist in identifying a suspect. Very frustrating. It is also just so perplexing. How can someone do this, kill a pit bull and commit this horrific crime against a grown woman in a public place, and still just slip away? Scary stuff that the person that did this is still on the loose.

When I saw the news about the press conference, I was hoping it would be to announce an arrest (or at least new developments) in the case. Unfortunately, it seems APD doesn't have much more insight than we do. If they have DNA, I wonder if genetic genealogy could be pursued at this point seeing as it's been 2 years without any significant progress in the investigation.

I found the press conference disappointing. I feel like they have almost nothing.

I wish they had dna, fingerprints, geofencing data that was helpful, and more. But I am beginning to wonder if they have anything concrete at all.

Imo.

I found the press conference disappointing. I feel like they have almost nothing.

I wish they had dna, fingerprints, geofencing data that was helpful, and more. But I am beginning to wonder if they have anything concrete at all.

Imo.
Agreed. If they truly don't have anything concrete (i.e., fingerprints or DNA), it makes me wonder if this case will ever be solved in isolation (i.e., without being linked to a similar crime where more evidence was left behind). The apparent lack of physical evidence left behind by the perpetrator suggests to me (IMO) that this was something planned rather than a spur-of-the-moment attack. More often than not, DNA evidence is left behind by the perpetrator in knife attacks simply due to the likelihood of the perpetrator cutting themselves and/or having physical contact with the victim, so it makes me think the perpetrator in this case came prepared (i.e., wearing thick, cut-resistant gloves and/or carrying a knife with a hilt rather than a standard butcher/kitchen knife).

When I saw the news about the press conference, I was hoping it would be to announce an arrest (or at least new developments) in the case. Unfortunately, it seems APD doesn't have much more insight than we do. If they have DNA, I wonder if genetic genealogy could be pursued at this point seeing as it's been 2 years without any significant progress in the investigation.
Very early, comments from the police made it seem like the dog maybe had bitten the attacker or otherwise had some evidence there. Then I remember some comment about "incomplete" dna or something. So it could be that there is some DNA evidence, but it isn't yet matching anyone. So it could be that we just have to wait and hope. We know there are homeless people that frequent the park, so if one of these people did it, unless they have a felony conviction, they arent the kind of people that would have DNA on file or be in a commercial genealogy data base.

But there must be other evidence. Were there bloody footprints leading away? They searched the lake extensively, was anything found? We saw the photos that the police released early of people coming and going from the park. What I found interesting was what photos apparently didn't show..... a suspect. Was Katie caught on the cameras? There should be more photo evidence that we arent seeing. Maybe we arent seeing it because the photos show nothing. But that in itself is enlightening. It shows where the killer wasn't at. The killer entered and left the park some where and it must have been somewhere other than the 10th st or 12st street gate.

In the Toronto news..
July 28 2023
''Police still do not have a suspect.''

“You may not have even been in the park that night, but if you’ve heard or saw anything that seems suspicious or just off, please notify us,” Lt. Germain Dearlove said at a news conference. “We will check and confirm every tip. Nothing is too small.”

Police have cast a wide net in the investigation, including looking at the victim’s background, he said. They have conducted numerous interviews but can’t say whether the killer knew Janness.
“It seems senseless to me,” Dearlove said of the slaying.''

Does anyone have any msm link or anything in which APD verified that Bowie was actually stabbed? It’s a bit confusing, all of the headlines etc are written as if it is both of their COD, but I haven’t seen a press conference or a quote or anything that actually confirms that…

Does anyone have any msm link or anything in which APD verified that Bowie was actually stabbed? It’s a bit confusing, all of the headlines etc are written as if it is both of their COD, but I haven’t seen a press conference or a quote or anything that actually confirms that…
The 40-year-old’s body had been stabbed “multiple times,” according to Atlanta police. Authorities did not say how the dog was killed, but Deputy Chief Charles Hampton described the scene to Channel 2 Action News in one word: “Gruesome.”

The 40-year-old’s body had been stabbed “multiple times,” according to Atlanta police. Authorities did not say how the dog was killed, but Deputy Chief Charles Hampton described the scene to Channel 2 Action News in one word: “Gruesome.”
thank you!

Very early, comments from the police made it seem like the dog maybe had bitten the attacker or otherwise had some evidence there. Then I remember some comment about "incomplete" dna or something. So it could be that there is some DNA evidence, but it isn't yet matching anyone. So it could be that we just have to wait and hope. We know there are homeless people that frequent the park, so if one of these people did it, unless they have a felony conviction, they arent the kind of people that would have DNA on file or be in a commercial genealogy data base.

But there must be other evidence. Were there bloody footprints leading away? They searched the lake extensively, was anything found? We saw the photos that the police released early of people coming and going from the park. What I found interesting was what photos apparently didn't show..... a suspect. Was Katie caught on the cameras? There should be more photo evidence that we arent seeing. Maybe we arent seeing it because the photos show nothing. But that in itself is enlightening. It shows where the killer wasn't at. The killer entered and left the park some where and it must have been somewhere other than the 10th st or 12st street gate.
Bolded by me for focus.

The thing about genetic genealogy is that the perp usually doesn't have their dna in a database, but they don't have to. If investigators are lucky and find a couple of close-ish relatives in the database (e.g. 3rd cousins) that gives them a direction to look in. They build out those family trees and see where they intersect at common ancestors and then look at all descendents for time and opportunity.

ETA: let's face it...any perp or criminal would be a fool to do their DNA. But a lot of crimes are now being solved thanks to genetic genealogy! Yeah! And hopefully LE has some DNA from the murderer in this case. I sincerely hope so.

Last edited:

Someone else stabbed to death in Piedmont Park. 14 years ago. Still unsolved.
Started thread with your link, ty..

Thank you. (I was on my phone earlier so it wasn't easy to start a new thread.) I am very glad you have started a thread for Patrick Boland.

And cameras weren’t working then. Same day of the month-the 28th.

I wonder if they did door to door enquiries of those who lived near or on the route of Katie's last walk? did they get any cctv footage from around that area? I wonder what the witnesses who were seen on camera at the park said? in particular the jogger who must surely have seen something??

I wonder if they did door to door enquiries of those who lived near or on the route of Katie's last walk? did they get any cctv footage from around that area? I wonder what the witnesses who were seen on camera at the park said? in particular the jogger who must surely have seen something??
I can only assume they would have inquired with at least the business owners in the vicinity of the park to look for video. It seems to me that there almost HAS to be more video/photo that the police have.

Like you, I'd love to know what the jogger told the police. He must have seen something given the way he came right back out. Or, if he saw nothing, that in and of itself is interesting. That would seem to indicate that the attack hadn't happened yet. Bowie was found just 50 feet inside the gate.

As for the other people in the photos released by the police, I'd like to know what they said, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have much information.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine
Back