GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Was the FBI as heavily involved yet when the autopsy results were released? Did anyone have a say over the ME about the release?

Was the FBI as heavily involved yet when the autopsy results were released? Did anyone have a say over the ME about the release?
Irc members of the FBI were in one of the initial pressers. This past July’s update was the first time I’d heard it mentioned that FBI was lead on it, prior to that, the impression given was they were there to assist w additional resources.

@ 0:17
"We continue to have the support and assistance of the FBI"
''Jul 28, 2022
In an news conference Thursday, police said they still haven't identified a suspect, but they still receive tips about the case''.
Jul 28, 2023
Police say even though the stabbing happened two years ago, the case is still actively being investigated.

Mar. 16, 2022 rbbm.
''Atlanta Deputy Police Chief Charles Hampton told reporters during the press conference that they are “relying on science and the technology” to solve the case. He also mentioned that sometimes high-profile cases like the murder of Janness are solved in the matter of days and weeks but sometimes it takes much longer.
Additionally, Hampton said that APD investigators are still meeting with the FBI about the case on a weekly basis.''

Agree to all. The timeline is tight, and of course we don't know what the jogger saw, or if he even understood what he was seeing if he did see something. But I don't know... how long does it really take to kill and mutilate someone? Does it really take more than a few minutes if the killer doesn't want it to? He was in a public place where anyone could have walked upon them at any time. More we just don't know.
The timeline is important I think. Based on the photo of Katie at the crosswalk I think if she took the 10th st route she could have been to the CA entrance at 12:25-6, if she took 12st entrance more like 12:35. I do think the jogger observations are key. He either did or didn't see something. Either is very significant. Bowies body should have been very clear to him if the attack had already occurred.

I do NOT think the FBI is running the case. At least we have seen nothing to indicate that. APD called in FBI assistance immediately, but that is common and doesn't mean they turn it over. A murder is a State crime not federal. There are certain things that have to be present for it to come within federal jurisdiction. But it is common for local/state agencies to request FBI assistance in evidence processessing.

I am still under the impression that APD is the lead agency. Do they have a suspect? I don't know. If they do, why no arrest?

First, I discovered today that Fani Willis, Fulton Co. District Attorney has an LGBTQ+ Advisory Committee. One of the charges of the Committee is to ensure that LGBTQ+ cases are adequately handled. The co-chair is Jeremy Murray one of Fani's executive assistant team. I am thinking that if we can get someone on the inside to advocate for Katie and Bowie and moving the case, that might be a breakthrough. Though, obviously, the case is not ready for prosecution, the DA's Office does assign a deputy district attorney to work with the APD. Likely there was a deputy DA at the crime scene right after the murder. So, I called the DA's office and, of course, can't get a live person but I left a voicemail for Jeremy Murray. Maybe he can make some suggestions to get more attention to Katie's case. Will let you know. If anyone has any connections in the DA's office and can connect us up with Jeremy Murray that would be great.

First, I discovered today that Fani Willis, Fulton Co. District Attorney has an LGBTQ+ Advisory Committee. One of the charges of the Committee is to ensure that LGBTQ+ cases are adequately handled. The co-chair is Jeremy Murray one of Fani's executive assistant team. I am thinking that if we can get someone on the inside to advocate for Katie and Bowie and moving the case, that might be a breakthrough. Though, obviously, the case is not ready for prosecution, the DA's Office does assign a deputy district attorney to work with the APD. Likely there was a deputy DA at the crime scene right after the murder. So, I called the DA's office and, of course, can't get a live person but I left a voicemail for Jeremy Murray. Maybe he can make some suggestions to get more attention to Katie's case. Will let you know. If anyone has any connections in the DA's office and can connect us up with Jeremy Murray that would be great.
Keep in mind a few things regarding attention to Katie's case: The Fulton County DA Fani Willis has the Trump case that is likely consuming a massive amount of her staff time. She has how many unsolved murders in Fulton County. They have the mess at the Fulton jail that is in part due to the massive amount of people arrested/incarcerated but still have no formal charges pending due to lack of DA action. Early on there was criticism of the over amount of effort given this case as opposed to other murders in the county. All murder cases need to be solved. Every victim needs justice.

I have been thinking about all the comments made about scenarios as to how Katie made it into the park that early morning and where the murderer would have been. The puzzle pieces are: 1)how did the murderer target Katie; 2)how did he target her to attack her where he did; 3)how was he able to kill Bowie as well, all during a relatively short time frame. I start from the assumption that the murderer is a sexual sadist; the killing has all the hallmarks os sexual sadism. That means that the murderer was a stranger but may have been stalking Katie for quite some time. He would also have been fantasizing about the murder for months and months, if not years, adding details to it as time passed. Katie would likely represent the person in his life with whom he had a deep seated hate and rage....usually, their mother.

I think Katie was on her way home going down 10th St to Charles Allen and she did not intend to go into the park. If that were the case, Katie would have been home around the time Emma got home. In this second scenario, MOO, I think the murderer may have seen her at Henry's, followed her, knew she was going to Michigan on Wednesday and needed to attack her before she left. He then came out of the foliage of Piedmont Park onto 10th St. close to the entrance where Katie and Bowie were walking. He walked up to them and put a knife to Katie's back, grabbed Bowie's leash, and told Katie to keep walking into the park entrance. Katie may have thought she was going to be raped but probably didn't think she was going to be killed because the murderer could have just killed her right there and be gone. They want into the park and near the restrooms, he started stabbing Bowie(IMO, he intended to take Katie behind the restroom where they would be out of sight but where there would be some light). Instead, Katie ran. He finished Bowie, ran after Katie and started the attack where he caught up with her. He would have known the Park extremely well and while it was not his original plan to kill her at that exact spot, he was bold enough to think no one was going to come by. That's my scenario #2 and it's MOO.

Keep in mind a few things regarding attention to Katie's case: The Fulton County DA Fani Willis has the Trump case that is likely consuming a massive amount of her staff time. She has how many unsolved murders in Fulton County. They have the mess at the Fulton jail that is in part due to the massive amount of people arrested/incarcerated but still have no formal charges pending due to lack of DA action. Early on there was criticism of the over amount of effort given this case as opposed to other murders in the county. All murder cases need to be solved. Every victim needs justice.
Thanks for the reminder. I have known about all those factors since I became involved in this. I generally don't let those kind of things deter me. I've practiced law for 45 years and I know you just have to keep being persistent no matter. So, we'll see if this route gets us anything. And, I say, too bad if folks didn't like the attention the case was getting early on. It's a horrific, gruesome crime and one that is not any kind of ordinary murder. The community should want this solved.

Excellent points.

Also to be noted, DA Willis inherited a mess from her predecessor which she/team has steadfastly gone about cleaning up.

Some crime analyst said early on, though, that there are certain types of crimes that due to their nature undermine civilized society.

He said…(wish I cld recall his name)…that KJs murder is one of those and that is why the extra attention/resources to the case.

I have been thinking about all the comments made about scenarios as to how Katie made it into the park that early morning and where the murderer would have been. The puzzle pieces are: 1)how did the murderer target Katie; 2)how did he target her to attack her where he did; 3)how was he able to kill Bowie as well, all during a relatively short time frame. I start from the assumption that the murderer is a sexual sadist; the killing has all the hallmarks os sexual sadism. That means that the murderer was a stranger but may have been stalking Katie for quite some time. He would also have been fantasizing about the murder for months and months, if not years, adding details to it as time passed. Katie would likely represent the person in his life with whom he had a deep seated hate and rage....usually, their mother.

I think Katie was on her way home going down 10th St to Charles Allen and she did not intend to go into the park. If that were the case, Katie would have been home around the time Emma got home. In this second scenario, MOO, I think the murderer may have seen her at Henry's, followed her, knew she was going to Michigan on Wednesday and needed to attack her before she left. He then came out of the foliage of Piedmont Park onto 10th St. close to the entrance where Katie and Bowie were walking. He walked up to them and put a knife to Katie's back, grabbed Bowie's leash, and told Katie to keep walking into the park entrance. Katie may have thought she was going to be raped but probably didn't think she was going to be killed because the murderer could have just killed her right there and be gone. They want into the park and near the restrooms, he started stabbing Bowie(IMO, he intended to take Katie behind the restroom where they would be out of sight but where there would be some light). Instead, Katie ran. He finished Bowie, ran after Katie and started the attack where he caught up with her. He would have known the Park extremely well and while it was not his original plan to kill her at that exact spot, he was bold enough to think no one was going to come by. That's my scenario #2 and it's MOO.
I think one of the reasons I lean toward KJ already being in the park when she was attacked is that as far as we know, there's no camera footage from that entrance of KJ entering, or her with anyone else. Now, I suppose it's possible there is footage, which would be timestamped like the other witnesses, but why would LE not release this person's image?

It appears the attack happened just out of camera view...

Hard to know what to think.

I think one of the reasons I lean toward KJ already being in the park when she was attacked is that as far as we know, there's no camera footage from that entrance of KJ entering, or her with anyone else. Now, I suppose it's possible there is footage, which would be timestamped like the other witnesses, but why would LE not release this person's image?

There is a path just inside the park that runs more or less parallel to 10th. Imo it’s just out of camera range. I agree w poster upthread retlawyer? that Katie likely was ultimately turning right on to Charles Allen to head home.

It has been my thought all along that rather than walk deep into the park, she turned left into the park shortly after the rainbow crossing and took this path but was intercepted by the killer prior to the right turn onto Charles Allen.

There is a path just inside the park that runs more or less parallel to 10th. Imo it’s just out of camera range. I agree w poster upthread retlawyer? that Katie likely was ultimately turning right on to Charles Allen to head home.

It has been my thought all along that rather than walk deep into the park, she turned left into the park shortly after the rainbow crossing and took this path but was intercepted by the killer prior to the right turn onto Charles Allen.
I'm sorry, I might have misunderstood the OP. How you describe it is exactly how I imagine it. She walked that trail running parallel to 10th, and was leaving via CA, but got attacked before she could leave. I just don't think she was forced or lured into the park, I think she was already in there. Jmo.

Right after the killing, the police released the photos of people leaving/entering the park, including the CA entrance. But none of Katie. and released the photo of Katie at the rainbow crossing saying it was the last known siting of her and Bowie. So either APD is not being honest or Katie and Bowie did not in fact come in view of the cameras at CA or 12st Gate. I suspect Katie entered at the SW corner of the park along 10th, but also perhaps one of the entrances further north, short of the official 12st gate. But I'm not sure it matters that much. Bowie's body, from descriptions must have been just out of view of the CA gate camera. But when Emma arrived to find the body, she must have been captured on that camera, but we have not heard. So I am starting to look at what we do see, and looking at what we have not seen, but must be available. Why are we not seeing some things?

I'm sorry, I might have misunderstood the OP. How you describe it is exactly how I imagine it. She walked that trail running parallel to 10th, and was leaving via CA, but got attacked before she could leave. I just don't think she was forced or lured into the park, I think she was already in there. Jmo.
My question is "why did she go to the park and all the way to CA gate? She and Bowie had already been on a long walk before then. Emma was about to get off work. Why not either go home directly down Piedmont, or hand out near Henry's and wait for Emma? Why go to the park then?

Perhaps that's right but of your description may be correct, how does Bowie end up near the restroom and Katie 100 ft further into the park? Why wasn't she murdered somewhere along the trail running path?

My question is "why did she go to the park and all the way to CA gate? She and Bowie had already been on a long walk before then. Emma was about to get off work. Why not either go home directly down Piedmont, or hand out near Henry's and wait for Emma? Why go to the park then?
Exactly. Why go into the park? On that path, she’s technically inside the park but it’s closer sidewalk but grassier…dogs like grass. I would make that choice as a dog owner myself.

With an earbud reportedly still in her ear even after the attack, it’s possible she was finishing up listening to something and had timed her listening with the route she took.

This is what I think. We know from camera footage Katie was crossing 10th St from the south side of Piedmont to the north side. It was 12:10 pm. Emma didn't expect to be off work until 12:30 pm or later. The south side of 10th street had more light and I think Katie took that to Charles Allen to turn right to go south to their apartment. Given where she was at 12:10 am, going that direction was as quick to get home as to go south on Piedmont and in any event that was not the direction she was going when she crossed the rainbow cross walk.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back