GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does anyone find it odd that LE has said nothing whatsoever to allay fears within the community? I have stopped visiting ATL parks alone (even in the daytime), haven’t set foot in PP since this happened and am extremely nervous walking my dog at night—which is a necessity because it’s dark so early.
Yes it does seem odd. It makes me think that the police don't think their is a danger to the public at large and not asking for public help could lead me to think that they know who their killer is, they just haven't made an arrest yet. But then I think, but its been 2 and a half years! Maybe the killer is incarcerated for something else, so there is no rush. But you'd think if they knew who it was, they would be able to connect the dots by now. If the killer was dead, why not come out and say it? Or maybe there is another possibility....

Yes it does seem odd. It makes me think that the police don't think their is a danger to the public at large and not asking for public help could lead me to think that they know who their killer is, they just haven't made an arrest yet. But then I think, but it’s been 2 and a half years! Maybe the killer is incarcerated for something else, so there is no rush. But you'd think if they knew who it was, they would be able to connect the dots by now. If the killer was dead, why not come out and say it? Or maybe there is another possibility....
What are your thoughts with the …? I agree if the killer were dead, we’d then know and maybe learn about his life and his possible reasons and that would be it. I hope not, because I believe we all want answers as to why and what really happened.

Does anyone find it odd that LE has said nothing whatsoever to allay fears within the community? I have stopped visiting ATL parks alone (even in the daytime), haven’t set foot in PP since this happened and am extremely nervous walking my dog at night—which is a necessity because it’s dark so early.
Maybe they don't have a good reason to allay fears, because they believe this person will kill again. By keeping quiet and not giving details, and avoiding a public panic, they aren't feeding into the killer's want for attention. Just guessing, but I'm thinking based on the nature of the crime, the FBI assisted with profiling, and ATL PD is following their suggestions based on that profile. One possibility maybe? I don't think they know who the killer is. Jmo.

IMO police are doing exactly what they always do when they don't have a solid suspect - say nothing or give very generic statements about public safety like "always be aware of your surroundings." They never want to induce public panic in situations like this so it usually is not that significant that they haven't given specific, frequent warnings.

I do agree with others who've said that they've probably heard from the FBI that they want to retain holdback information about details of the crime and to avoid giving the killer a lot of notoriety.

I feel like there are going to be other crimes associated with the individual who did this but the linkage is not obvious. For example, the type of victim might be very different or it might have been a severe beating/single stabbing instead of a multiple stabbing. This could be a person who breaks the conventional wisdom on how killers always go for the same type of victim or use the same methods. If he does this for pleasure, he could be experimenting or evolving.

re-post..rbbm
2021 Joe Henke

''During the murder, according to Clark, DNA evidence was potentially left behind on the dog''

''Harold Copus is a former FBI agent, turned private investigator, living in the metro area. He said the FBI could be assisting in a homicide investigation for several reasons, including adding pressure.
"It may cause people to loosen up and provide more information,"
he commented during an interview with 11Alive.

If there is DNA evidence as Clark referenced, Copus said the FBI could be providing assistance by comparing the DNA against entries in its national database. The FBI could also be assisting with its nationwide network of agents.
"You bring the bureau in, in case you think the person has fled interstate," Copus said. "But for them to flee interstate the police must know something about the person in order to bring that portion of the bureau to investigate."

IMO police are doing exactly what they always do when they don't have a solid suspect - say nothing or give very generic statements about public safety like "always be aware of your surroundings." They never want to induce public panic in situations like this so it usually is not that significant that they haven't given specific, frequent warnings.

I do agree with others who've said that they've probably heard from the FBI that they want to retain holdback information about details of the crime and to avoid giving the killer a lot of notoriety.

I feel like there are going to be other crimes associated with the individual who did this but the linkage is not obvious. For example, the type of victim might be very different or it might have been a severe beating/single stabbing instead of a multiple stabbing. This could be a person who breaks the conventional wisdom on how killers always go for the same type of victim or use the same methods. If he does this for pleasure, he could be experimenting or evolving.
It could even be that there has already been some linkage to other crimes, via DNA, signatures, etc., but the identity is still unknown, and the linkage is being held back. I'm no expert on the psychology, but I feel like the extensive injuries to KJ (plus the murder of the dog), might lean toward someone who has already experimented some and is honing. Scary thought. I'm not one to ever jump on the serial killer bandwagon, but in this case, I think that's what they are dealing with. JMO.

It could even be that there has already been some linkage to other crimes, via DNA, signatures, etc., but the identity is still unknown, and the linkage is being held back. I'm no expert on the psychology, but I feel like the extensive injuries to KJ (plus the murder of the dog), might lean toward someone who has already experimented some and is honing. Scary thought. I'm not one to ever jump on the serial killer bandwagon, but in this case, I think that's what they are dealing with. JMO.

Definitely. I mean - as to serial, of course we don't know. But definitely to everything else.

Definitely. I mean - as to serial, of course we don't know. But definitely to everything else.
I recently watched a podcast interview with a renowned forensic psychologist and he had some interesting insight in regards to serial killers. He said would-be serial killers are nowadays not getting the chance to become labeled serial killers, per the identified two or more victims with a cooling off period, because digital and DNA evidence are capturing them sooner. However, psychologically speaking, they fit the traits...like BK in the Moscow ID case. I thought that made a lot of sense.

I recently watched a podcast interview with a renowned forensic psychologist and he had some interesting insight in regards to serial killers. He said would-be serial killers are nowadays not getting the chance to become labeled serial killers, per the identified two or more victims with a cooling off period, because digital and DNA evidence are capturing them sooner. However, psychologically speaking, they fit the traits...like BK in the Moscow ID case. I thought that made a lot of sense.

Yes, I agree and I've always thought this. I've mentioned it so many times but the killer of Jessica Ridgway is a perfect example. He was young and made a lot of mistakes and so was caught quickly but the way he perpetrated that abduction and murder absolutely showed psychological signs that, if he had the opportunity, he would have repeated those specific acts as signatures. I have no doubt in my mind.

August 3, 2021
''An Atlanta-area PETA member has put up the funds, and the group is hoping for help from the public to solve the case before the killer(s) strikes again.

“Anyone who would kill a woman and the dog who likely tried to defend her, as loyal dogs invariably do, is a threat to the entire community of living, feeling beings,” says PETA Vice President Colleen O’Brien. “PETA knows well the sociological studies of killers who target the most vulnerable among us and urges anyone with information to come forward to help police identify this callous killer.”

I was browsing the cold cases forum and this case popped up that I had never heard of: FL - Shelly Arnold, 24, found murdered, mutilated, Eustis, 16 Feb 2015

The victimology is quite a bit different (Shelly led a somewhat transient lifestyle) but I think the mutilation aspect and the possibility that a tattoo was removed or targeted is interesting. Not saying this case is connected to KJ and Bowie but wondering if it's a similar type of perpetrator.

FEB 2015
Police wondered if Shelly Arnold's murder in Eustis FL is related to the nude body of Ethel McCarson, 42, due to similarities in the way they were mutilated. Both in central FL which is a 7 hour drive to Atlanta.

Investigators said they believe Arnold, 24, was strangled and killed somewhere else, then moved.

At the scene, investigators believe her body had been tied to a tree by a red cloth, then put on the ground. She was found naked, but one of her black boots was found, as well as a sock, her pants and a jacket. But there was no blood.

Arnold’s face had been removed and a tattoo was cut from her body.

FL - Shelly Arnold, 24, found murdered, mutilated, Eustis, 16 Feb 2015

Apr 13, 2016
Someone killed Arnold, 24, and dumped her partially dismembered body
Both agencies said the savage nature of the cases is unusual and reason enough to explore the possibility of a connection.
Investigators see similarities in dismembered body cases

July 2021
Katie, 40, and Bowie were in the right place at the wrong time.

FEB 2015
Police wondered if Shelly Arnold's murder in Eustis FL is related to the nude body of Ethel McCarson, 42, due to similarities in the way they were mutilated. Both in central FL which is a 7 hour drive to Atlanta.

Investigators said they believe Arnold, 24, was strangled and killed somewhere else, then moved.

At the scene, investigators believe her body had been tied to a tree by a red cloth, then put on the ground. She was found naked, but one of her black boots was found, as well as a sock, her pants and a jacket. But there was no blood.

Arnold’s face had been removed and a tattoo was cut from her body.

FL - Shelly Arnold, 24, found murdered, mutilated, Eustis, 16 Feb 2015

Apr 13, 2016
Someone killed Arnold, 24, and dumped her partially dismembered body
Both agencies said the savage nature of the cases is unusual and reason enough to explore the possibility of a connection.
Investigators see similarities in dismembered body cases

July 2021
Katie, 40, and Bowie were in the right place at the wrong time.

The main thing that's different, of course, is that McCarson and Arnold were found after their bodies were dumped in a different location from where they were killed. I think profilers would probably say that's a very significant difference to what happened to KJ.

However, what draws my attention is the depersonalizing nature of the mutilation and the fact that Arnold's body was posed at an outdoor scene (or an attempt was made), as well as the hints that in both Florida murders police are looking heavily into contacts the women might have had in the homeless or transient community. I don't think KJ had contacts in the transient community per se but I think police continue to canvass the homeless population in and around Piedmont Park and there is a chance the person who did this does.

I’m wondering if anyone has any information about the man who yells out during Emma’s 911 call. Having a very brief exchange w/Emma. Was he identified? Did he stay until the police came? Any chance he might have been the murderer?
He’s the guy heard yelling “wtf?!” on the 911 call, correct? Report is that he did stay, is not the murderer and apparently was completely devastated by the experience. Also reported that he brought flowers to the place where KJ was found within a day or so of the murder.

He’s the guy heard yelling “wtf?!” on the 911 call, correct? Report is that he did stay, is not the murderer and apparently was completely devastated by the experience. Also reported that he brought flowers to the place where KJ was found within a day or so of the murder.
Yes, that’s the guy. Good to know. One less thing to think about.

Good evening. You all remember an early press conference when Fulton DA Fawni Willis said there was some evidence suggesting that the murderer stayed at the scene for some time after Katie was dead. I know they removed a large tree branch a day or two later near where she was killed. Does anyone know any more about what evidence the DA might be referring to or any theories? Theory as to the importance of that branch?

Good evening. You all remember an early press conference when Fulton DA Fawni Willis said there was some evidence suggesting that the murderer stayed at the scene for some time after Katie was dead. I know they removed a large tree branch a day or two later near where she was killed. Does anyone know any more about what evidence the DA might be referring to or any theories? Theory as to the importance of that branch?
I don't really have any answers for you, but one thing that jumped out at me about that large branch is that it was not wrapped or in any other way protected when they put it into the back of the van. I always thought that was odd if it was going to be forensically analyzed.

I don't really have any answers for you, but one thing that jumped out at me about that large branch is that it was not wrapped or in any other way protected when they put it into the back of the van. I always thought that was odd if it was going to be forensically analyzed.
Really good point. I have never really thought the branch was much unless there was blood on it or pieces of cloth, etc. But if that were the case, I agree with you that you’d expected it to be protected in some way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlit7
Back