GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Perhaps that's right but of your description may be correct, how does Bowie end up near the restroom and Katie 100 ft further into the park? Why wasn't she murdered somewhere along the trail running path?
I don't know. The problem is that we don't know where either the killer or KJ were located at the time of the attack, but I would guess that it all started just out of camera view (or within view and we just don't know it) on the road near the bathroom, where Bowie ended up. Not knowing the extent of his injuries, we don't know if he was able to go any distance after he was attacked, but for now I'll assume probably not. While the killer was dispatching Bowie, KJ might have tried to fight him off the dog, or not, but either way she might have been able to run the distance to where she was found. She might have even sustained a stab wound before Bowie, but the killer then had to get the dog out of his way. These are details we just don't have.

This all likely fits best with a random, opportunistic attack, imo. If she was stalked or it was someone who knew or followed her, the location of the attack might have been different. Idk. It's perplexing, really.

That part of midtown is like a small town within a big city. Or at least it was when I worked in the area. Somebody knows something about this killer.

Even if he’s a rando, he can’t have just gotten so lucky. Iow: He planned and studied and timed. He knows Piedmont Park extremely well like ground-level, tracker-level well.

If it was opportunistic why pick the victim with the dog? Why so much decimation to the one tattoo?

Another random question:

What do y’all make of them releasing the ME report without statement and so early on, especially given that they've been so completed tight-lipped about every single thing else?

If it was opportunistic why pick the victim with the dog? Why so much decimation to the one tattoo?

Respectfully snipped by me.

The tattoo was on her lower back, correct? At first I thought she might have been trying to crawl away while the attack was continuing, and so it was just a likely area to be stabbed. But now I think it's possible that the attention to the tattoo area was less about the tattoo itself and more about the sexualized nature of the attack which targeted her private areas and areas adjacent to.

Respectfully snipped by me.

The tattoo was on her lower back, correct? At first I thought she might have been trying to crawl away while the attack was continuing, and so it was just a likely area to be stabbed. But now I think it's possible that the attention to the tattoo area was less about the tattoo itself and more about the sexualized nature of the attack which targeted her private areas and areas adjacent to.
I agree, although the very fact that her tattoo was in a highly personal spot on her body might have drawn him to it, maybe.

Jmo, but the brutality of the wounds makes me wonder if it was not only sexualized, but purposefully depersonalizing to his victim.

Last edited:
DA Fani Willis stated that the killer hung around the scene for a while. Which boggles the mind. True psychopathy to be that close to 10th and not fear being observed. My thought regarding the runner was he might have thought he was observing some other kind of activity that Piedmont Park at night is known for.

Do we know why LE thinks the killer hung around for awhile?

Another random question:

What do y’all make of them releasing the ME report without statement and so early on, especially given that they've been so completed tight-lipped about every single thing else?
My understanding is that the APD did not release the autopsy but rather the ME herself and APD was not happy about it.

That part of midtown is like a small town within a big city. Or at least it was when I worked in the area. Somebody knows something about this killer.

Even if he’s a rando, he can’t have just gotten so lucky. Iow: He planned and studied and timed. He knows Piedmont Park extremely well like ground-level, tracker-level well.

Absolutely someone knows something about the killer. It’s why I think the APD needs to strategically release some of the criminal profile the FBI has done.

Oh wow, really? That’s bananas. It always seemed like a strange move to me. That miss-match makes it make sense now. Thank you.
That is correct. I have learned that the media can petition for the autopsy to be released and it’s up to the ‘person in charge’ - I don’t know who, to make that decision on each case. The APD did not and would not have. Personally, I have never been one who has so little going on in my life that I need to see anyone’s autopsy, be it my next door neighbor or a famous tv star. It’s NOT our business!!!! The press works swiftly and uncaringly; and I can say from experience, will flat-out lie.

That is correct. I have learned that the media can petition for the autopsy to be released and it’s up to the ‘person in charge’ - I don’t know who, to make that decision on each case. The APD did not and would not have. Personally, I have never been one who has so little going on in my life that I need to see anyone’s autopsy, be it my next door neighbor or a famous tv star. It’s NOT our business!!!! The press works swiftly and uncaringly; and I can say from experience, will flat-out lie.
Iirc, in the first 24 hours, Michael Seiden/WSBTV tweeted about the letters found carved into KJs body; Then he quickly scrubbed those details…I am assuming at APDs request. That is part of why I found it so odd that MEs report was then released.

Keep in mind a few things regarding attention to Katie's case: The Fulton County DA Fani Willis has the Trump case that is likely consuming a massive amount of her staff time. She has how many unsolved murders in Fulton County. They have theA mess at the Fulton jail that is in part due to the massive amount of people arrested/incarcerated but still have no formal charges pending due to lack of DA action. Early on there was criticism of the over amount of effort given this case as opposed to other murders in the county. All murder cases need to be solved. Every victim needs justice.
Yes, Fulton County DA FW's time likely is being consumed. One would think if Willis and staff are too busy to work on murder investigations, she would request the FBI to take over Katie's murder as well as many others. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 2021 saw a surge in homicides. The city's mayor wanted to the police and withhold $73M from the APD. JMHOO

When I kindly spoke with a female officer at the APD last year about this case, I was taken aback to be asked why I was angry. A lady is stabbed over 50 times in PP. I was told one more thing that has to do with the letters carved. It's my impression that the police are the ones who are angry because the autopsy was revealed. JMHOO

Anyone with information is asked to call the APD Homicide Unit at 404-546-4235.
The committee, in a letter addressed to Wade, expresses its belief that he may "possess documents and information about the coordination of the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office (FCDAO) with other politically motivated investigations and prosecutions, as well as the potential misuse of federal funds."

Wade is accused in the letter of receiving a substantial amount of money from Fulton County, which he reportedly spent "extravagantly on lavish vacations" with his superior, Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis.
House Judiciary Committee announces investigation into Fulton Co. special prosecutor

It’s disheartening to hear and see the turmoil and chaos in Fulton County’s DA office not to mention the office being overextended with the election prosecutions. Unless they are going to add prosecutors to the office, I agree that Katie’s case should be turned over to the FBI or to a special investigator and prosecutor from the State Attorney’s Office. The case seems to be in a suspended “active” status. I wish we could come up with a better, more effective strategy to get the APD to move this case. I think there are potentially two strategies that could move this case but they depend on the APD and/or Katie’s family.

The first is the APD needs to shift its approach to release some strategic information periodically. They should work with the FBI who are very good at this approach.

The second is Emma, Katie’s mother and other of Katie’s relatives and/or close friends issuing press statements and holding press conferences periodically. This keeps pressure on the APD to provide status reports and keeps the case in the public view and generates press stories and possibly a few podcast episodes.

Yes, Fulton County DA FW's time likely is being consumed. One would think if Willis and staff are too busy to work on murder investigations, she would request the FBI to take over Katie's murder as well as many others. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 2021 saw a surge in homicides. The city's mayor wanted to the police and withhold $73M from the APD. JMHOO

When I kindly spoke with a female officer at the APD last year about this case, I was taken aback to be asked why I was angry. A lady is stabbed over 50 times in PP. I was told one more thing that has to do with the letters carved. It's my impression that the police are the ones who are angry because the autopsy was revealed. JMHOO

Anyone with information is asked to call the APD Homicide Unit at 404-546-4235.
I don't know that the FBI even COULD take over. I don't know that federal jurisdiction exists. The APD asked them in quickly to assist with investigations, but that doesn't give the FBI independent jurisdiction. There would have to be a lot more evidence of perhaps a hate crime etc to enact federal jurisdiction, which if it existed, I would think the FBI would have already taken it.

I don't know that the FBI even COULD take over. I don't know that federal jurisdiction exists. The APD asked them in quickly to assist with investigations, but that doesn't give the FBI independent jurisdiction. There would have to be a lot more evidence of perhaps a hate crime etc to enact federal jurisdiction, which if it existed, I would think the FBI would have already taken it.

Last edited:
The FBI can offer technology and other investigative tools that the APD, and I’m guessing, other cities don’t have or have the funds to purchase. IMO, the FBI and the APD are working in tandem on this case still, along with many others they each have separately, because it was an unsettling murder - no one here has mentioned it, but it’s not because she’s white. Katie’s family and friends, law enforcement and Atlanta’s community of citizens, I believe, care that All murders are solved.

As a new member has suggested, badgering the police will only produce hard feelings, they need praise and thanks for the job they do. As in any business, job or setting, some do excellent work, others, a good job, and still others don’t always care, but still come to work. I believe it’s better to err on the positive than the opposite.

If podcasters in any state wish to put out a fresh message reminding listeners of Katie’s and Bowie’s deaths, they don’t need new info., just the desire to assist. They could, perhaps, add an anecdote or two about Katie’s life if they feel it would attract that One Listener who has some information, or doesn’t know that he/she has a clue that can help close this case. Maybe it could draw in empathy for Katie and Bowie and soften any resolve to keep someone’s horrible secret.

Last edited:
From what was reported the APD called the FBI for assistance within 24 hours. But it seemed to be along the lines of assisting them, not because APD believed this was federal jurisdiction. I think that must have been because of the gruesome nature of the attack maybe. I do find it a bit odd that police have not asked the public for more help. They asked people to help them identify some people in the gate photos they released in the days after the murder, but that was it. This is just a very strange case.

Does anyone find it odd that LE has said nothing whatsoever to allay fears within the community? I have stopped visiting ATL parks alone (even in the daytime), haven’t set foot in PP since this happened and am extremely nervous walking my dog at night—which is a necessity because it’s dark so early.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back