GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Really good point. I have never really thought the branch was much unless there was blood on it or pieces of cloth, etc. But if that were the case, I agree with you that you’d expected it to be protected in some way.
I agree with both of you. I believe the thought was that perhaps the killer waited in the tree for Katie…any woman.

I have a question for everyone. What do you believe is the APD’s working theory of the murder? Do you think the murderer might have and still lives in Mid-Town? If he does, what do you think residents should be aware of in trying to ID the potential killer? Finally, do you think the murderer still goes to Piedmont Park? Let’s give the APD some good theories about these questions. Maybe it will somehow help.

I have a question for everyone. What do you believe is the APD’s working theory of the murder? Do you think the murderer might have and still lives in Mid-Town? If he does, what do you think residents should be aware of in trying to ID the potential killer? Finally, do you think the murderer still goes to Piedmont Park? Let’s give the APD some good theories about these questions. Maybe it will somehow help.
I believe it was a random act by a homeless or transient person (mental illness possibly), which is making this harder to solve. I don't see how there couldn't be DNA somewhere belonging to the perp as he spent time with the body, but maybe his DNA is not in CODIS. I think he has since moved on from the area if what I think is correct.

If I'm totally wrong (and I admit it's more than possible) and it's someone local or known to Katy & Bowie, they might have moved on, but are still following the case closely by SM or are still in area following the case closely.

MOO

I believe it was a random act by a homeless or transient person (mental illness possibly), which is making this harder to solve. I don't see how there couldn't be DNA somewhere belonging to the perp as he spent time with the body, but maybe his DNA is not in CODIS. I think he has since moved on from the area if what I think is correct.

If I'm totally wrong (and I admit it's more than possible) and it's someone local or known to Katy & Bowie, they might have moved on, but are still following the case closely by SM or are still in area following the case closely.

MOO
I agree that where ever the murderer is he is trying to track the investigation as much as possible.

Do you think it could have been someone who watched Katie over time having seen her at the bar where she worked or maybe where Emma worked?

I have tracked this case pretty closely from the start because frankly it scared the bejeezus out of me and I needed as much information as possible just to live me life. Sounds dramatic, right? But it’s true.

All that to say I have never once heard any member of LE espouse any theories whatsoever of who might've done this and why.

S/o who does work with the homeless pop in pp said if it had been a homeless person, this wldve already been solved because the homeless community in and around pp is tight and aware of who is in their midst.

The killer may have moved on by now but I’d wager they lived in midtown and spent copious of amounts of time in the park prior and at various times of the day, studying the light, terrain and flow ppl and possibly studying KJ and Bowie specifically, their routes, habits and demeanor.

Things LE have said:
1: They don’t have evidence a serial killer did this.
2: They don’t believe it’s a hate crime.
3: The killer took his time at the scene.
4: No one has been officially named as a suspect or cleared as a suspect.
5: KJ was killed where she was found
6: She was alive during some of the more brutal portions of the attack

I had originally thought that this was a targeted and planned attack that was rooted in obsession, jealousy, or homophobia (or any combination of these), and that the likely connection was the work of Katie and her partner Emma in the food/beverage service industry. Servers encounter a wide range of individuals and are obligated to be nice to them. Perhaps a customer mistook friendly service for affection and became obsessed with Katie, or became obsessed with Emma and thus jealous of her partner.

Now, with the apparent lack of leads, I'm starting to think this was the act of an intensely disturbed person who soon after the murder was confined or otherwise rendered unable to commit similar harms. If this horrible murder was the result of a mental health crisis, then the perpetrator would likely be continue to decompensate and would be at risk of committing another similar attack, absent some intervening action. The action could be confinement in a jail on other, unrelated charges, confinement in a mental health facility, or death due to suicide, murder, or accident.

I hope that LE is reviewing jail and hospital admissions.

I have tracked this case pretty closely from the start because frankly it scared the bejeezus out of me and I needed as much information as possible just to live me life. Sounds dramatic, right? But it’s true.

All that to say I have never once heard any member of LE espouse any theories whatsoever of who might've done this and why.

S/o who does work with the homeless pop in pp said if it had been a homeless person, this wldve already been solved because the homeless community in and around pp is tight and aware of who is in their midst.

The killer may have moved on by now but I’d wager they lived in midtown and spent copious of amounts of time in the park prior and at various times of the day, studying the light, terrain and flow ppl and possibly studying KJ and Bowie specifically, their routes, habits and demeanor.
I totally agree with your analysis. If I’d lived there I would want to know everything about the crime and I would never go in Piedmont Park after dark after the murder. The murderer is somewhat unpredictable as to when he might do it again. If I’m right that he’s a sexual sadist, he will do it again, likely in the location he’s most familiar with, i.e., somewhere in Piedmont Park. I’d guess he might murder in the next few years. He’s creating a fantasy that’s a variation on this murder.

And, I think he pulled her underwear and jeans around her knees to further incapacitate her, so she couldn’t kick him or use her legs to leverage her position. To do 50 stabs and incisions in a short period, the victim has to in positions he can control.

I had originally thought that this was a targeted and planned attack that was rooted in obsession, jealousy, or homophobia (or any combination of these), and that the likely connection was the work of Katie and her partner Emma in the food/beverage service industry. Servers encounter a wide range of individuals and are obligated to be nice to them. Perhaps a customer mistook friendly service for affection and became obsessed with Katie, or became obsessed with Emma and thus jealous of her partner.

Now, with the apparent lack of leads, I'm starting to think this was the act of an intensely disturbed person who soon after the murder was confined or otherwise rendered unable to commit similar harms. If this horrible murder was the result of a mental health crisis, then the perpetrator would likely be continue to decompensate and would be at risk of committing another similar attack, absent some intervening action. The action could be confinement in a jail on other, unrelated charges, confinement in a mental health facility, or death due to suicide, murder, or accident.

I hope that LE is reviewing jail and hospital admissions.
Some interesting points. I tend to think it wasn’t someone with a mental illness. They usually don’t commit a murder that is somewhat organized. I think he’s living in the Midtown area, with a job, maybe engaging in some consensual sadistic sex.

I totally agree with your analysis. If I’d lived there I would want to know everything about the crime and I would never go in Piedmont Park after dark after the murder. The murderer is somewhat unpredictable as to when he might do it again. If I’m right that he’s a sexual sadist, he will do it again, likely in the location he’s most familiar with, i.e., somewhere in Piedmont Park. I’d guess he might murder in the next few years. He’s creating a fantasy that’s a variation on this murder.

And, I think he pulled her underwear and jeans around her knees to further incapacitate her, so she couldn’t kick him or use her legs to leverage her position. To do 50 stabs and incisions in a short period, the victim has to in positions he can control.
I don't know why, but I don't see a several year cooling off period for this killer. This was too all-consuming, imo. So I agree with the other poster that maybe he's possibly incapacitated in some way, like incarcerated or dead. I just cannot fathom this being a one and done. Even if they say they don't have evidence of a serial killer, I'd like to know if they are finding any signs of other linked crimes. I don't think LE would announce it if they did. Jmo.

This crime was quite the production…It gives the vibe of the killer having invested a substantial amount of energy and time. This guy is no dummy. And why move on from PP? it’s not like APD has the resources or willingness to ramp up surveillance or create a special task force to solve this. Truly, he cld probably pull off the same thing again right now.

So you think this is the Atlanta version of Rex Heuermann, a professional, local, albeit with his(her?) own type of victim- servers or women with dogs or LGBQ folk, and his (her?) own favorite murder site, weapon and general MO?

I agree with both of you. I believe the thought was that perhaps the killer waited in the tree for Katie…any woman.
Not everyone can climb a tree... If you drop down from a tree (seems like a movie stunt IMO) how do you come down in the "right place" with a human victim and a canine victim and a leash? I am surprised that the killer escaped with no dog bites even if Bowie was a sweetie... just not sure how that played out. Does the killer have really superior reflexes?

So you think this is the Atlanta version of Rex Heuermann, a professional, local, albeit with his(her?) own type of victim- servers or women with dogs or LGBQ folk, and his (her?) own favorite murder site, weapon and general MO?
Sort of. They are both sexual sadists with different kind of victims and different MOs. Rex’s signature was binding the bodies of his victims. Hard to tell what this murderer’s signature is; it could be the carved letters in the torso but we won’t know unless he kills again, which I hope doesn’t happen. Hope APD finds him first.

Not everyone can climb a tree... If you drop down from a tree (seems like a movie stunt IMO) how do you come down in the "right place" with a human victim and a canine victim and a leash? I am surprised that the killer escaped with no dog bites even if Bowie was a sweetie... just not sure how that played out. Does the killer have really superior reflexes?
At one point I thought he might be waiting in a tree but I don’t think so. But, does any one know of Bowie was facing the PP entrance or toward the inside of the park or in another position?

Personally never thought killer was in the tree as limb APD pulled didnt appear to be sturdy enough to support a human. My thought was, they took it for tissue splatter.

Also, the area under that tree canopy is pitch black at night and I can’t quite picture anyone walking a dog under there at night no matter how confident.

I don't know why, but I don't see a several year cooling off period for this killer. This was too all-consuming, imo. So I agree with the other poster that maybe he's possibly incapacitated in some way, like incarcerated or dead. I just cannot fathom this being a one and done. Even if they say they don't have evidence of a serial killer, I'd like to know if they are finding any signs of other linked crimes. I don't think LE would announce it if they did. Jmo.
Sexual sadists can relive and fantasize about a murder like this for a very long time through a variety of ways.

At one point I thought he might be waiting in a tree but I don’t think so. But, does any one know of Bowie was facing the PP entrance or toward the inside of the park or in another position?
Direction of his body was never stated. Just that he was in the road (Road is pretty well lit…can’t imagine the jogger didnt encounter Bowie). EC stated that on approach she thought he was a bag of trash and then she thought he might have been hit by a car.

Direction of his body was never stated. Just that he was in the road (Road is pretty well lit…can’t imagine the jogger didnt encounter Bowie). EC stated that on approach she thought he was a bag of trash and then she thought he might have been hit by a car.
Would sure like to know what that jogger told APD!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatMeryl
Back