GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am still shocked that this case hasn't been solved.
It was a violent murder in a public place. Surely LE has some solid leads, right?
Right?
Same. Still can’t believe the jogger didn’t see/hear anything. The timing imo would put him right there at nearly the same time as the assailant. The brief run in/run out? Who does that? Is it possible he blocked it out? Didn’t see Bowie at the very least? Or maybe didn’t realize what he was looking at. Truly hope APD is stealth-close to solving the case because at times it sure does feel like it’s been archived.

'She was already gone' | Wife of Piedmont Park stabbing victim describes discovering murder scene

This is where EC says Katie and Bowie were located inside PP:

"She got there around 1 am and noticed Bowie at the Charles Allen Drive and Tenth Street entrance.

“He was maybe 50 feet from the gate on the inside. I just ran and I grabbed him because I didn’t know, maybe he was still alive. Obviously, I knew something was wrong because he was just laying there. I didn’t put two and two together because I didn’t notice her right away.” Emma told 11Alive.

Katie was about a hundred feet away."

I posted upthread in #586 about a knife assault committed in a park in Tacoma, WA. Obviously I'm not a professional, but the assault seemed to bear some similarities to the attack on Katie, and the suspect in the Tacoma case had moved to Tacoma from Atlanta within in the last couple of years. FWIW I filled out the tip form for APD and they followed up, though I made it clear that I had no personal information beyond what was published So APD are still working the leads. [edited: typo]

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021
"The CBS46 CSI Atlanta team spoke exclusively to Clark < >. Clark wants people to stop believing she had anything to do with Janness’ murder, and is pleading with Atlanta Police to publicly clear her name."

APD statement when asked if they would clear EC's name:

"The investigation into the murder of Katherine Janness remains open and very active. Our investigators continue working tirelessly to find the person(s) responsible. We understand it is frustrating for there to be so little information released publicly. However, to ensure the investigation isn’t compromised, we simply cannot release much information on our active investigation. We know how important this case is to those in our communities and we will continue our work to bring this investigation to a resolution. ~~ Atlanta Police Spokesperson"

EXCLUSIVE: Partner of woman found slain in Piedmont Park pleads for APD to clear her name

July 28, 2022
"Deputy Chief Charles Hampton with APD said on Thursday. "We're looking at everyone."

"We continue to assess biological evidence, physical evidence as well as electronic evidence pertaining to this investigation," APD Homicide Commander Ralph Woolfolk said at that time. "We do believe this investigation is moving in the right direction."

1 year since shocking murder of woman in Piedmont Park, police still 'actively' searching for a suspect

Same. Still can’t believe the jogger didn’t see/hear anything. The timing imo would put him right there at nearly the same time as the assailant. The brief run in/run out? Who does that? Is it possible he blocked it out? Didn’t see Bowie at the very least? Or maybe didn’t realize what he was looking at. Truly hope APD is stealth-close to solving the case because at times it sure does feel like it’s been archived.
After requesting for the jogger to come forward in order to tell police what, if anything, they'd seen, the jogger was interviewed.

I do feel that the jogger may have noticed Bowie and turned around to run out of PP. Was the jogger the witness wearing the headlamp? Whatever, if anything, the jogger saw or heard is something the APD knows and has known since at least Aug, 2021.

AUG 6, 2021 (3 photos of jogger at link)
"Atlanta police confirmed that a jogger seen in new photos released Friday and believed to be a potential witness to the stabbing death of a woman and her dog in Piedmont Park has come forward.

The reward in this case has been increased to $20,000."
Potential Piedmont Park stabbing witness comes forward, is cooperating, police say

'Aug 4, 2021 #AtlantaPolice
Atlanta Police Homicide Investigators have released surveillance photos and video showing people in the area of Piedmont Park, around the time 40-year-old Katherine Janness was murdered. Investigators are hoping these individuals may have seen something that could help forward their investigation and they are asking for assistance identifying or contacting them. If anyone was in the area around the time of the murder, or if anyone knows someone in these photos, we ask that they contact Atlanta Police Homicide Investigators or Crime Stoppers.'

I typically enjoy True Crime Garage podcasts. They had a tantalizing 3 part series on JonBenet about 5 months ago.

My take aways from these podcasts were that it was a vicious crime that almost wholly happened while Katie's heart was still beating. When coupled with the stabbing of Bowie, they opined if perhaps two perps were involved. I've never considered more than one flipped out psychopath to be involved in her death.

They predicted a minimum amount of time required to cause the numerous injuries to be appx 3 minutes. That seems like not enough time to me. This victim was injured front and back.

Who would know to pull her pants down to expose the tattoo on her lower back so it could be destroyed? A depraved heart was required to inflict this kind of long-suffering pain onto Katie.

My recollection is that Emma begged the police to state publicly that she was not a suspect because she was in fear. The police refused to publicly clear Emma.

It's fair to consider the last person known to see the victim. The assumed timeline is tight. Stranger homicide is rare. We are far more likely to be killed by someone we know.
Department of Criminology
The Truth About Stranger Homicide, and Who's Really at Risk

Almost 9000 views are on the 2 videos so I think that's decent exposure. I don't know who killed this sweet person and her dog but I hope APD has some good leads.

MOO

I haven't listened to the podcast but I've long held the opinion (primarily based on ME report) there was more than one attacker/killer.

ETA: Killers who inflict stabbing/cutting injuries are often injured themselves, and maybe it's a mix of blood (DNA) from multiple attackers that causes a problem with identifying anyone in particular.

jmo

Last edited:
Well it's good to see some new comments here. Some more good thoughts.

One new thing I was thinking about is, wasn't there a delay in time, between the time that Katie was at the restaurant, and the time she was spotted on cam, crossing the crosswalk? I believe someone local commented, that it took her some extra minutes to get there, than it should have. So where did she go, and who did she talk to during that time?
My question is, did she encounter someone during the walk, spoke, and then she arranged to meet with him at that gate at a certain time? Say like 12:30.

For example a drug dealer/friend she knew. She could have gone to buy some pot or some pills. Maybe she encountered him earlier outside. And he said, well hold on let me get my stuff, I'll meet you at the gate later at 12: 30. Or actually it could have been arranged to meet there before that night, even days before. And they avoided text messages, for no evidence. I mean drugs would make the most sense to me, to meet somebody at that time of the night. I could not think of any other reason for a clandestine meeting like that.

So that's one way that this could be pre-planned and targeted.

Edit- And just theorizing, if she had bought drugs from this friend before, it's possible this friend was clever enough not to have any text messages to her. Because I'm sure he would want to avoid any evidence. He would be somebody that she would see out and about, maybe at her restaurants or socially. Maybe even her girlfriend wouldn't know who he was. And police would have little to go on to link him.

More edits- I remember seeing some comments, that she was leaving town for a while the next day, to go to far away like to other states. Maybe she wanted her drug supply before she left town, so this was her last meeting with her drug dealer friend before she left.

Last edited:
Well it's good to see some new comments here. Some more good thoughts.

One new thing I was thinking about is, wasn't there a delay in time, between the time that Katie was at the restaurant, and the time she was spotted on cam, crossing the crosswalk? I believe someone local commented, that it took her some extra minutes to get there, than it should have. So where did she go, and who did she talk to during that time?
My question is, did she encounter someone during the walk, spoke, and then she arranged to meet with him at that gate at a certain time? Say like 12:30.

For example a drug dealer/friend she knew. She could have gone to buy some pot or some pills. Maybe she encountered him earlier outside. And he said, well hold on let me get my stuff, I'll meet you at the gate later at 12: 30. Or actually it could have been arranged to meet there before that night, even days before. And they avoided text messages, for no evidence. I mean drugs would make the most sense to me, to meet somebody at that time of the night. I could not think of any other reason for a clandestine meeting like that.

So that's one way that this could be pre-planned and targeted.
Henry’s is a 5min walk to the rainbow crosswalk where Katie was seen on camera time-stamped 1209a iirc. Assuming the time stamp is accurate (this has not been confirmed), there was a bit of a lag.

Some unconfirmed reports suggested she went to an atm on Juniper to withdraw money for her trip to Michigan scheduled for the following day.

Other reports suggested she may have stopped by Campagnolo to chat w a co-worker.

Regardless, it has been stated by those close to her that a late night drug deal was *not* within the realm of possibility based on her habits and lifestyle prior to her death.

Henry’s is a 5min walk to the rainbow crosswalk where Katie was seen on camera time-stamped 1209a iirc. Assuming the time stamp is accurate (this has not been confirmed), there was a bit of a lag.

Some unconfirmed reports suggested she went to an atm on Juniper to withdraw money for her trip to Michigan scheduled for the following day.

Other reports suggested she may have stopped by Campagnolo to chat w a co-worker.

Regardless, it has been stated by those close to her that a late night drug deal was *not* within the realm of possibility based on her habits and lifestyle prior to her death.
There is no way Katie would ever have been meeting anyone dealing drugs, IMO!!!! Nor would she have planned to see anyone Emma did not know about, IMO!!!! Concernedcitizen706, Katie was known and well-loved for her honestly and concern about others, human and animal, and IMO, was there walking her dog, period. Go talk with a friend of hers or a coworker, and find out for yourself. Or call the lead detective on this case, I imagine they have interviewed many people, friends and others who knew and/or worked with Katie. We’ve heard on here that people frequently take their pets out for walks late at night. It may be a decent theory for another case, but not this one, IMO. Sadly, this murder has many twists and turns and we are all just making educated guesses. But one thing is clear, and that is the person Katie was, IMO!!!!

Last edited:
Katie died with a $5 bill in her pocket.

I have never once believed that Katie routinely walked through PP at midnight when the park was CLOSED. There was a reason for her going to the Park on that particular night before catching a flight for Michigan the next day. Someone set her up for this to happen, moo.

I could be wrong but we cannot board a flight if we're carrying illicit drugs, including marijuana, without risk of the FAA making an arrest because it is illegal. Did anyone else see in the news that Nicki Minaj was taken in for MJ possession when she entered Amsterdam?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/15/us/atlanta-piedmont-park-homicide-update/index.html

Last edited:
There is no way Katie would ever have been meeting anyone dealing drugs, IMO!!!! Nor would she have planned to see anyone Emma did not know about, IMO!!!! Concernedcitizen706, Katie was known and well-loved for her honestly and concern about others, human and animal, and IMO, was there walking her dog, period. Go talk with a friend of hers or a coworker, and find out for yourself. Or call the lead detective on this case, I imagine they have interviewed many people, friends and others who knew and/or worked with Katie. We’ve heard on here that people frequently take their pets out for walks late at night. It may be a decent theory for another case, but not this one, IMO. Sadly, this murder has many twists and turns and we are all just making educated guesses. But one thing is clear, and that is the person Katie was, IMO!!!!
I do believe the day before her trip was chosen on purpose, as was mentioned recently in a different context. I believed so from the start and even for a brief time thought that it was someone close with whom Katie may have been thinking of ending a relationship and might have wanted to talk to her mom and/or her friends up in Michigan about her feelings to help her decide. It seemed like a logical theory.

I do believe the day before her trip was chosen on purpose, as was mentioned recently in a different context. I believed so from the start and even for a brief time thought that it was someone close with whom Katie may have been thinking of ending a relationship and might have wanted to talk to her mom and/or her friends up in Michigan about her feelings to help her decide. It seemed like a logical theory.
You really think Katie’s was thinking of ending a relationship? With whom, Emma?
I haven’t read anything about Katie and Emma’s relationship being in trouble. Was Katie involved with someone else? A man? Because Katie’s murderer was a man and most likely a sexual sadistic murderer who had been fantasizing about a murder like he perpetrated on Katie and had been thinking about it for a very, very long time with all the details planned out. He may have stalked Katie for a period of time. But he didn’t know her personally. MOO

I would like to point out as a local, that this crime occurred in summer 2021, and Atlanta was still quieter than usual due to Covid at that time; the nightlife around midtown was not yet back to normal and there were less people out and about. There are a plethora of strange random crimes that happen in the parks in Atlanta all the time - not to this extent but there are plenty of reports by citizens of sexual deviants and/ or disturbed people lurking around public parks in Atlanta throughout the day and night. I have been randomly harassed in Piedmont Park, while walking a pitbull, during a busy day. None of Katie’s friends or colleagues have reported anything negative at all about Katie or Emma’s character, or anything unsavory about relationship together- they were both apparently upstanding citizens to their community in a normal loving partnership. IMHO everything about this crime, including the difficulty solving it points to a random violent act by a very disturbed lurker.

Couple of things I am thinking about today about this case…

About a month after this happened, I did few slow drive bys at 10th and CA Gate on a weeknight, right around the time of day of KJs murder, same moon phase to see what was visible from the street.

What I noticed was the service street the restroom sits on and where Bowie was reportedly found was completely illuminated which is pretty much the way it always is, there’s a light right there just past the gate. You could easily see into it from the road.

I also noticed that the tree grove to the right and down covered the ground so that that area was nearly pitch black.

So since the guy heard yelling on Emma’s call to 911 is walking out of the park when he yells in fright, I have always wondered how he saw Katie. Was it Emma’s bike that drew his attention to her? Otherwise was she closer to the street than under the tree canopy? I think they said she was 100 feet away from gate. And how if that guy saw her how did Runner Guy not? Iirc it’s literally a matter of 10-15 mins difference in time between them.

The other thing I think about is the hearts and minds of LE and Grady Emt—I believe 911 guy said he was sending Grady— I think about this being a fairly quiet Tuesday night and then they get this call and how they can never unsee what will no doubt be one of the most horrific scenes of their careers.

Couple of things I am thinking about today about this case…

About a month after this happened, I did few slow drive bys at 10th and CA Gate on a weeknight, right around the time of day of KJs murder, same moon phase to see what was visible from the street.

What I noticed was the service street the restroom sits on and where Bowie was reportedly found was completely illuminated which is pretty much the way it always is, there’s a light right there just past the gate. You could easily see into it from the road.

I also noticed that the tree grove to the right and down covered the ground so that that area was nearly pitch black.

So since the guy heard yelling on Emma’s call to 911 is walking out of the park when he yells in fright, I have always wondered how he saw Katie. Was it Emma’s bike that drew his attention to her? Otherwise was she closer to the street than under the tree canopy? I think they said she was 100 feet away from gate. And how if that guy saw her how did Runner Guy not? Iirc it’s literally a matter of 10-15 mins difference in time between them.

The other thing I think about is the hearts and minds of LE and Grady Emt—I believe 911 guy said he was sending Grady— I think about this being a fairly quiet Tuesday night and then they get this call and how they can never unsee what will no doubt be one of the most horrific scenes of their careers.
Runner guy had that headlight on and he had tunnel vision. The headlight did not provide light to where Katie’s body. IMO. I’m still perplexed about the guy who shouted during Emma’s 911 call. I understand police talked to him but I just can’t shake this sense I have that he might have been the killer. We know the DA said they had evidence suggesting the killer stayed for a while after Katie was murdered. Then Emma shows up about half hour after the murder and that guy comes out of the shadows. I don’t know but I hope the APD provide some information at the 3rd anniversary.

Runner guy had that headlight on and he had tunnel vision. The headlight did not provide light to where Katie’s body. IMO. I’m still perplexed about the guy who shouted during Emma’s 911 call. I understand police talked to him but I just can’t shake this sense I have that he might have been the killer. We know the DA said they had evidence suggesting the killer stayed for a while after Katie was murdered. Then Emma shows up about half hour after the murder and that guy comes out of the shadows. I don’t know but I hope the APD provide some information at the 3rd anniversary.
Front what I understand guy who came upon the scene (aka WTF?-guy because that’s what he yelled out) was devastated by the scene, brought flowers the next day to the place where Katie was found.

Of course all his behaviors cld be an elaborate ruse.

I also hope APD/FBI have an update forthcoming.

You really think Katie’s was thinking of ending a relationship? With whom, Emma?
I haven’t read anything about Katie and Emma’s relationship being in trouble. Was Katie involved with someone else? A man? Because Katie’s murderer was a man and most likely a sexual sadistic murderer who had been fantasizing about a murder like he perpetrated on Katie and had been thinking about it for a very, very long time with all the details planned out. He may have stalked Katie for a period of time. But he didn’t know her personally. MOO
The word relationship doesn’t necessarily mean an intimate one.

The word relationship doesn’t necessarily mean an intimate one.
Of course every person is configured differently but KJ is often described as fairly independent in her thinking and confident her personhood . It surprises me that she might need to consult with friends and/or family about who should stay and who should go in her pantheon of relationships.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meadams14
Back