GA - Kendrick “KJ” Johnson, found dead in 2013, 3rd autopsy ‘non-accidental’ damage *Probe in 2021*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Family of teen found dead in a rolled-up gym mat requesting federal death investigation be reopened (with clip)

October 11, 2019

"ATLANTA — On the day that would have been his 24 birthday, the family of Kendrick Johnson plans to formally request the federal investigation into his mysterious death be reopened....

In the Friday announcement, family plans to disclose important details related to the closing of the investigation back in 2016, as well as present new information regarding missing organs belonging to Johnson.

"These details, we believe, deserve at bare minimum, a redo of the meeting discussing the findings of the aforementioned closed investigation," a statement from the family said.

Johnson family representatives contend that the 2016 meeting with the federal government to present the findings of the case was carried out without legal representation from the family.

"The actions of the Federal Government concerning aforementioned meeting were unethical, and we believe the investigation was closed under suspicious circumstances fueled by pressure of retired FBI agents," claims Marus Coleman, founder of Save OurSelves, and representative for the family.

Johnson's family recently refiled a lawsuit connected to his death back on May 21, 2019 after being told by a judge that too much time had passed in their original lawsuit. They dismissed the previous suit just one day beforehand.

The teen's parents contend that their son's clothes and organs, including his brain, were disposed of to interfere with a law enforcement investigation into the teen's death. ..."

Family of teen found dead in a rolled-up gym mat requesting federal death investigation be reopened

The Basics: On January 11th, 2013 the body of Kendrick Johnson was found inside a vertical rolled up mat in the gym of his high school Lowndes High School. He was found headfirst in the center of a vertical rolled up wrestling mat and these mats stood nearly 6 feet tall and 3 feet wide. An autopsy done by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) said that Johnson had died from positional asphyxia and the case was ruled an accidental death by the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office.

The Investigation: It was common for the students to store their shoes behind or inside the rolled up mats and they hypothesized that Johnson had fallen into the mat while looking for a shoe and died after being unable to get out. Johnson was not wearing shoes when he was found and a student at the school said that he shared a pair of shoes with Johnson, and that after gym class Johnson would always “go to the mats, jump up and toss the shoes in the middle of the hole.”. Johnson’s family hired an independent autopsy and this autopsy claimed to have found traces of blunt force trauma to the right neck and soft tissues, suggesting the death was not accidental. .

The Body: The independent autopsy found that some time after Johnson’s body was recovered from the mat, and had passed through the funeral home, it had been stuffed with newspapers. The funeral home that processed the body following the GBI's autopsy stated that they never received Johnson's organs from the coroner. Johnson's internal organs were said to have been "destroyed through natural process" and "discarded by the prosector before the body was sent back to Valdosta," according to . the funeral home owner. That left a void, which the funeral home filled. The funeral home owner stated that it is standard practice to fill a void in this fashion, and that cotton or sawdust may also be employed for this purpose.

The Surveillance Tape: In November 2013, 290 hours of surveillance tape from 35 cameras that covered the gym area was released to CNN following a court request. A forensic analyst enlisted by CNN found that tapes from two cameras are missing an hour and five minutes of footage, while another set was missing two hours and ten minutes of footage. Time stamps between some separate camera systems differed by as much as 20 minutes for the same time period, giving the impression of a gap for portions of the footage where no gap existed. Camera systems were motion-activated, using a change in light pixels to turn recordings on and off. The area where Johnson's body was discovered, where the gym mats were stored, was outside the range of all of the surveillance cameras.

The Suspects: In August 2014, a $5 million lawsuit against Ebony Magazine was filed, after the magazine published a series of articles naming two students as possible suspects in the death. The magazine used pseudonyms but was otherwise accurate in descriptions of the boys, including the fact that their father was an FBI agent. The article used as a source an anonymous email to the sheriff's office. The parents, in their lawsuit assert that their sons were not involved in the death, are not considered suspects, and have been harassed as a result of the publication.

My Theory: I’ll be honest everything about this case to me SCREAMS cover up. Johnson was 5’10 and the mats were measured to be about 6 feet tall, and when the mat was rolled up it left a 14 inch whole in diameter but Johnson’s shoulders measured 19 across. So the question is how did he get himself into the gym mat if his shoulders were bigger than it. The theory that he squeezed himself into the mat to grab his gym shoes is sort of reasonable and I can see where you can draw that conclusion but I seriously doubt that a high school student was that worried about getting shoes for gym class that he tried to climb his way into the mat just for the shoes and he was already wearing tennis shoes so why would he climb into the mat to get the other ones. As stated before he was found in the mat with no shoes on but in the pictures of him while he was still in the mat you can see a pair of shoes that look like they were thrown in, I won’t link the picture but if you want to find it I'm pretty sure you can. There was a black and white gym shoe that laid on the ground below Johnson, the one he was presumed to be reaching for and this shoe was lying on top of a pool of blood but the shoe itself had no blood on it. I feel that this case could have been handled better from everyone involved and I don't believe this was an accident.

Sources:

Death of Kendrick Johnson - Wikipedia

He Was Found Dead In A Gym Mat In 2013. His Parents Are Still Fighting To Know What Happened..

Security Cam Footage

The Basics: On January 11th, 2013 the body of Kendrick Johnson was found inside a vertical rolled up mat in the gym of his high school Lowndes High School. He was found headfirst in the center of a vertical rolled up wrestling mat and these mats stood nearly 6 feet tall and 3 feet wide. An autopsy done by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) said that Johnson had died from positional asphyxia and the case was ruled an accidental death by the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office.

The Investigation: It was common for the students to store their shoes behind or inside the rolled up mats and they hypothesized that Johnson had fallen into the mat while looking for a shoe and died after being unable to get out. Johnson was not wearing shoes when he was found and a student at the school said that he shared a pair of shoes with Johnson, and that after gym class Johnson would always “go to the mats, jump up and toss the shoes in the middle of the hole.”. Johnson’s family hired an independent autopsy and this autopsy claimed to have found traces of blunt force trauma to the right neck and soft tissues, suggesting the death was not accidental. .

The Body: The independent autopsy found that some time after Johnson’s body was recovered from the mat, and had passed through the funeral home, it had been stuffed with newspapers. The funeral home that processed the body following the GBI's autopsy stated that they never received Johnson's organs from the coroner. Johnson's internal organs were said to have been "destroyed through natural process" and "discarded by the prosector before the body was sent back to Valdosta," according to . the funeral home owner. That left a void, which the funeral home filled. The funeral home owner stated that it is standard practice to fill a void in this fashion, and that cotton or sawdust may also be employed for this purpose.

The Surveillance Tape: In November 2013, 290 hours of surveillance tape from 35 cameras that covered the gym area was released to CNN following a court request. A forensic analyst enlisted by CNN found that tapes from two cameras are missing an hour and five minutes of footage, while another set was missing two hours and ten minutes of footage. Time stamps between some separate camera systems differed by as much as 20 minutes for the same time period, giving the impression of a gap for portions of the footage where no gap existed. Camera systems were motion-activated, using a change in light pixels to turn recordings on and off. The area where Johnson's body was discovered, where the gym mats were stored, was outside the range of all of the surveillance cameras.

The Suspects: In August 2014, a $5 million lawsuit against Ebony Magazine was filed, after the magazine published a series of articles naming two students as possible suspects in the death. The magazine used pseudonyms but was otherwise accurate in descriptions of the boys, including the fact that their father was an FBI agent. The article used as a source an anonymous email to the sheriff's office. The parents, in their lawsuit assert that their sons were not involved in the death, are not considered suspects, and have been harassed as a result of the publication.

My Theory: I’ll be honest everything about this case to me SCREAMS cover up. Johnson was 5’10 and the mats were measured to be about 6 feet tall, and when the mat was rolled up it left a 14 inch whole in diameter but Johnson’s shoulders measured 19 across. So the question is how did he get himself into the gym mat if his shoulders were bigger than it. The theory that he squeezed himself into the mat to grab his gym shoes is sort of reasonable and I can see where you can draw that conclusion but I seriously doubt that a high school student was that worried about getting shoes for gym class that he tried to climb his way into the mat just for the shoes and he was already wearing tennis shoes so why would he climb into the mat to get the other ones. As stated before he was found in the mat with no shoes on but in the pictures of him while he was still in the mat you can see a pair of shoes that look like they were thrown in, I won’t link the picture but if you want to find it I'm pretty sure you can. There was a black and white gym shoe that laid on the ground below Johnson, the one he was presumed to be reaching for and this shoe was lying on top of a pool of blood but the shoe itself had no blood on it. I feel that this case could have been handled better from everyone involved and I don't believe this was an accident.

Sources:

Death of Kendrick Johnson - Wikipedia

He Was Found Dead In A Gym Mat In 2013. His Parents Are Still Fighting To Know What Happened..

Security Cam Footage
KJ was running in the video. I'm ecstatic that they've reopened the case.

Last edited:
"May 23, 2013
Johnson family says new report raises questions
The Johnson family attorney said information from paramedics contradicts what law enforcement said. The report from the responding paramedics showed Johnson's body was partially in a rolled up wrestling mat; but his torso, head, and arms were exposed. The family's attorney said that contradicts investigators claims that Johnson's body was found upside down stuck in the mat."
Third autopsy results show ‘non-accidental’ damage to boy found dead in rolled up in gym mat

Because people don’t typically die and then roll themselves up in floor mats, the mysterious death of Georgia high school student Kendrick Johnson being written off as a freak accident has never sat right with Black people who are familiar with the case—least of all, Kendrick’s family.

In 2013, the 17-year-old’s body was found in a rolled-up wrestling mat in the gymnasium of Lowndes High School in Valdosta, Georgia. The Department of Justice declined to file charges in connection with Kendrick’s death after it said, “federal investigators determined that there is insufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that someone or some group of people willfully violated Kendrick Johnson’s civil rights or committed any other prosecutable federal crime.” A wrongful death lawsuit filed by his family was also dismissed.

Now, more than eight years later, the Lowndes County Sheriff’s Office has decided to reopen the case, according to Sheriff Ashley Paulk.

From WALB 10:

Paulk told WALB News 10 that his office received 17 boxes of documents, computer towers and hard drives of information that was collected during previous investigations by other agencies into Johnson’s death.

Now, they are working to compare those notes to new information Paulk said the sheriff’s office has obtained and are looking for any discrepancies.

Paulk said it will take time to go through all the documents and there is not currently a timeline set for the findings.
Georgia Sheriff Reopens Investigation Into Mysterious Death of Kendrick Johnson

https://www.theroot.com/wrongful-death-lawsuit-dismissed-in-case-of-ga-teen-fo-1796126382

This case has always bothered me as it defies logic and it has always smelled like a cover-up. KJ’s parents’ tenacity is paying off at last, I hope.

This case reminds me of the case of Rebecca Zahau, hanging naked from a balcony at a mansion in San Diego (Coronado) on 2011. Twice LE has deemed it to be suicide, which also defies logic and smells like a cover-up for her wealthy boyfriend. Her family has also been tenacious.

May there be justice at last for Kendall and Rebecca.

CA - Rebecca Zahau Wrongful Death Revisited 2019

New re-enactment produced of Zahau hanging at Coronado mansion | cbs8.com

This case has always bothered me as it defies logic and it has always smelled like a cover-up. KJ’s parents’ tenacity is paying off at last, I hope.

This case reminds me of the case of Rebecca Zahau, hanging naked from a balcony at a mansion in San Diego (Coronado) on 2011. Twice LE has deemed it to be suicide, which also defies logic and smells like a cover-up for her wealthy boyfriend. Her family has also been tenacious.

May there be justice at last for Kendall and Rebecca.

CA - Rebecca Zahau Wrongful Death Revisited 2019

New re-enactment produced of Zahau hanging at Coronado mansion | cbs8.com
Thank you. Thank you. For years, I’ve tried to find action on this case. Both my little brothers were high school star wrestlers so Kendall’s death captured my attention. I also remember Rebecca’s death very well.

Original Autopsy Report

http://valdosta.sgaonline.com/2010vdt/pdfs/KJohnson_second_autopsy.pdf

https://static.allongeorgia.com/wp-.../393322920-Kendrick-Johnson-Third-Autopsy.pdf

upload_2021-3-14_7-57-0.jpeg
After two years of requests, Lowndes County, Georgia, Sheriff Ashley Paulk has received previously unreleased documents from the Department of Justice, officially reopening the Kendrick Johnson case.

The body of Kendrick "K.J." Johnson was found upside down in a vertically stored gym mat at Lowndes High School in January 2013.

A state autopsy ruled the 17-year-old’s death accidental, and a federal review of the case ended in 2016 when the Department of Justice announced it had not found “sufficient evidence to support federal criminal charges.”

The Johnson family has maintained their son died of foul play and have filed multiple lawsuits against dozens of defendants through the years.

Paulk said the Johnson family was instrumental in helping obtain the documents.
Sheriff reopens case of Georgia teen found dead in gym mat

Last edited:
"They had a recording that they had actually purchased from an individual who said that it would be valuable as far as saying who possibly had committed a crime in KJ's situation," Sheriff Paulk said. "We'll validate who the person is, was he really who he said he was, and find out where he got this information."

The sheriff says it's hard to predict when they will have any follow-up information regarding this recording.

But that they will use every resource to validate the recording and make sure it's not any type of hoax.

"We're going to verify who that person is, follow the chain of custody to see if its really something that's true or truthful," Sheriff Paulk said. "Or if it's a very, very cruel hoax because if it's a hoax, it's really cruel to Mrs. Johnson."
New evidence presented in Kendrick Johnson case with alleged confession

"They had a recording that they had actually purchased from an individual who said that it would be valuable as far as saying who possibly had committed a crime in KJ's situation," Sheriff Paulk said. "We'll validate who the person is, was he really who he said he was, and find out where he got this information."

The sheriff says it's hard to predict when they will have any follow-up information regarding this recording.

But that they will use every resource to validate the recording and make sure it's not any type of hoax.

"We're going to verify who that person is, follow the chain of custody to see if its really something that's true or truthful," Sheriff Paulk said. "Or if it's a very, very cruel hoax because if it's a hoax, it's really cruel to Mrs. Johnson."
New evidence presented in Kendrick Johnson case with alleged confession
I wonder why Kendrick's family paid for this recording? Wouldn't the person who had possession of it want to help and just give it to them?

'Confession Tape' From??? Any Analysis w It?
‘Confession tape’ surfaces in bizarre 2013 death of teen boy crushed in rolled up gym mat in his high school gym
‘Confession tape’ surfaces in bizarre 2013 death of teen boy crushed in rolled up gym mat in his high school gym
@Blondie in Spokane Thanks for finding article & posting link.

Q1: How did Sheriff/LE receive the 'confession' tape? Anyone ??? if MSM has reported it, I've missed this info.
- In contents of 17 boxes of doc's Sheriff's receiving from FBI & DOJ [me: maybe w reports, analysis of it?].*
- Directly from Mother who "got her hands on tape"?**
- From a source known and identified to LE (not to gen pub)?
- From an anonymous mailing or drop off?

Of course, Sheriff is trying to verify info about it, to confirm chain of custody as far back as they can, and also to authenticate technical aspects of tape, to identify the speaker/confessor, then to verify content of confession.

Q2. If it was included in boxes from FBI/DOJ, isn't it likely or at least possible the tape came from DC, w Chn/Cust documentation & also reports, analysis, expert opinions included?
Q3. If tape came directly from Mother, mail, drop-in, doesn't it seem unlikely tape had accompanying materials, reports, etc?

I have no doubt since K.J.'s death, some ppl have tried to scam his family by offering sure-fire 'evidence of murder and/or cover-up' to them for the right price.

* "Paulk says that 17 larges boxes of materials from documents to hard drives have been coming into his office over the last 30 days." These are from FBI & DOJ. Investigation into Kendrick Johnson death reopened by Lowndes County Sheriff's Office fox31 Mar 9
** "Kendrick Johnson Gym MatValdosta, Georgia, police have received an apparent
tape documenting an individual’s confession to murdering teenager Kendrick Johnson...
Lowndes County Sheriff Ashley Paulk has reported that Kendrick Johnson’s mother got her hands on the tape of the person confessing to murdering the boy and rolling him in the gym mat...."
"
‘Confession tape’ surfaces in bizarre 2013 death of teen boy crushed in rolled up gym mat in his high school gym knewz Mar 21

"Paul said the family purchased the recording from someone who claimed it was “valuable as far as saying who possibly had committed the crime and change their situation.”

K.J. Family. Pay for Tape?
I wonder why Kendrick's family paid for this recording? Wouldn't the person who had possession of it want to help and just give it to them?
@RANCH Good question. Is it possible the answer is in Sheriff's stmt ---
New evidence presented in Kendrick Johnson case with alleged confession bbm

Possibly a scam on the family, as I just posted.
ETA: I wonder when fam purchased the tape?

An investigation concluded that he died in an unfortunate mishap. Authorities determined that he accidentally slipped into the center of the mat and became trapped.

His parents were never satisfied with that explanation. They believed that classmates were behind his death and that police and school officials tried to hide what really happened.
Audio Confession Surfaces In Kendrick Johnson Murder Case | National News

This comes after the case surrounding Johnson's death was recently reopened by the Lowndes County Sheriff’s Office, who confirmed they obtained the audiotape.

Johnson family spokesperson Marcus Coleman revealed a transcript of the recording, where a man can be heard saying, "[They're] gonna catch me anyways...should've never done that. I was young and stupid, man, Kendrick didn't deserve that...they're going to catch me."
Alleged Confession in Kendrick Johnson Death Case Given to Investigators

The man who said the words has not been identified. Coleman says a tipster sold the tape for $1,000 to the Johnson family.

“We do know there is what appears to be a Caucasian male admitting tearfully and fearfully to the killing of Kendrick Johnson,” Coleman said.

His death has been ruled accidental and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation officially closed its investigation in June of 2020 but the family has long believed Johnson was murdered.

“I told them I would also look at it, but I think there are people who would do some really cruel things and I hope it’s not a scam,” Sheriff Ashley Paulk said.

“The person on the tape must be identified, Ii it is a hoax, with the scammer who sold it, we need to know why those words exist on that tape,” Coleman said.

"We didn't hand over an automated voice, pieced together recording. We handed over what we believe is a Caucasian male stating his involvement," Coleman said.
Reported confession in Kendrick Johnson case given to detetives | 13wmaz.com