GUILTY GA - Laila Daniel, 2, beaten to death, McDonough, 17 Nov 2015 *foster parents arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hello, I`m a newbie here. Thank you Jewels53 that you give us information about this case. I just looked at the statement of the GBI medical examiner on youtube. 22 injuries to the head and neck of Laila. It is so incredibly cruel what happened to this innocent two-year-old child.
Welcome Josephine9 to the forum!

Yes it is horrible what was done to Laila! So many horrible stories of what people do to children on WS you will find. Also what people do to adults are horrific.

Jump right on in and make yourself comfortable. Ask away if you are not sure about something. People around here are willing to help newbies out.

MCDONOUGH, Ga. — “I certified the manner of Laila’s death as homicide,” testified Dr. Lora Darrisaw, the medical examiner who performed Laila Daniel’s autopsy.

“There was a liver laceration," she said on the stand Monday. "A laceration to the pancreas. The laceration of the pancreas actually separated it into two pieces. There was internal bleeding.”
Dr. Darrisaw said the internal injuries were not the only ones she found when performing Laila’s autopsy.

“Laila had numerous bruises on many parts of her body ranging from her head to her legs,” Dr. Darrisaw told the court. “The most prominent bruises were on her back and that involved the entirety of the back.”

She said she found 22 injuries in the head and neck area alone.

'Significant blunt impact trauma:' Medical examiner says Laila Daniel did not die from choking

It's so hard to read. Did this couple order punchingballs? There must be justice for this inhumanity! How long did these poor little children live with the couple?
Hi Josephine9, and welcome to WS!

The girls were fostered by the Rosenbaums on July 24th. Laila died on November 17th. Less than 4 months!

Hi Josephine9, and welcome to WS!

The girls were fostered by the Rosenbaums on July 24th. Laila died on November 17th. Less than 4 months!
Thank you Tortoise!:) I like the sense of justice and the way people treat each other here in the forum.
My god, such a short time and so many injuries. And yet every day was too much for these kids with this couple. It seems to me that Laila was more tormented because she could not express herself at the age of two, as her sister said:... only cry... I´m so sad and angry.

Some of my notes as regards the autopsy and the testimony of the pathologist, Dr Darrisaw, and earlier testimony.

[Jennifer Rosenbaum's version was that Laila was in her highchair eating chicken tenders and carrots, JR saw Laila shaking, arms flailing and head back. She thought Laila was choking on chicken. She removed her from the highchair, performed the Heimlich Maneuver, took her to the sink and with her wedged up against the sink, started bashing Laila's back, nothing came out of Laila's mouth, at some point she took a butter knife and used it and her finger to hold down Laila's tongue and sweep her finger around her mouth/throat, Laila was kicking and she dropped her on the floor, she knelt on top of her to pin her down while she tried to do CPR. At some point Laila was moved to the living room floor where JR called 911 and was given instructions for CPR until the first medics arrived about 7 minutes later. (Some of this may have changed or been contradicted by later versions, this mostly comes from Corinne Mull's cross-examination of state witnesses. JR's video interview with LE was virtually impossible to hear.)]

The pathologist said that in her opinion this was not a choking event. No chicken was found, food was in the stomach but it was very well digested and nothing was identifiable, and there were no food particles anywhere in the trachea. Digestion stops when the heart stops. Food eaten shortly before death will usually still be identifiable.

My notes from other witness testimony are that Laila was pronounced dead at the hospital roughly 30 minutes after paramedics arrived at the house. They did not see evidence of life (breathing, heart beat, pulse) even when they were at the house, but they still worked on her to see if they could revive her.

The pathologist said that the description given by JR of Laila flailing, shaking, head back and eyes rolled back is consistent with a terminal (death) seizure. This is consistent with the shock of significant blunt force trauma, internal injuries and bleeding. This trauma was inflicted about 1 hour before her terminal seizure in the highchair. That means one hour before any Heimlich Maneuver or CPR.

After they shaved Laila's head they saw abrasions, scabs and bruising of different stages of healing, some fresh, some older, top, back, sides and front. This was not one event. After reflecting the scalp and examining deep muscle tissue microscopically the extent of the blunt force trauma was also more evident. Being hit or being hit against something. Non-accidental.

Bruising on Laila's back was not all from one event, upper back was yellowish bruising, lower down was more reddish. Not CPR/Heimlich related because her heart was already weak by that time. Extent of free blood in abdomen (150 cc) was consistent with trauma to person not near death.

Bruising and abrasions on pubic area, inner thighs, back, ears, protected areas, buttocks which had deep muscle hemorrhages etc was not from 2 year old normal living.

Healing fractures - tibia (shin bone), ulna (forearm bone) and one of Laila's ribs at the back. The rib fracture was a few weeks old and caused by forceful squeezing (pressure on) the ribcage. We already know from other testimony the leg and arm fractures occurred in October. The ulna fracture is known as the nightstick fracture - it is caused by a person holding their arm up in front to shield themselves defensively. A 2 year old defending herself from blows!

Laila's liver was lacerated. Microscopic examination of the liver showed fresh (an hour before death) and old healing laceration (a few days up to a week or two prior to death). Pathologist would not have seen it if it had been 3 or 4 months old (prior to fostering) because the liver heals quickly.

Pancreas was transected (split in two).

Bleeding to diaphragm not associated with CPR or Heimlich.

Resuscitative methods were not responsible for Laila's injuries. She died from multiple blunt force trauma.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back