GUILTY GA - Laila Daniel, 2, beaten to death, McDonough, 17 Nov 2015 *foster parents arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
One of the experts (I can't remember which but I know it wasn't the pathologist - I think it was the doctor who suspected abuse and referred her to Egleston for an investigation, which Jennifer never took her to, and instead took her to a new doctor 2-3 days later) said the force required to have caused that leg fracture was more than a 2 year old could exert themselves, unless it was a drop from a great height.
I think that was the doctor that said that. In my experience in the ER I see it mostly in adults who fall going up steps & hit their knee or fall and land directly on their knee. I do not see how falling off a bar to a matted floor would cause that, even if she fell directly onto her knee. I know the state proved Lelia was never on the gymnastic equipment, but if if they hadn't proved it, I do not see how it could happen.

Does anybody know why the cop was asked if Tessa said she had ever poured boiling water on her daughter, or made her eat feces? Is this a story that Jennifer was putting around when talking about the foster placement?

Wow, this doctor's testimony is going to be the opposite of the prosecutions case. I thought he was just going to testify about her fracture.

I think she was using it as an example to approve Tessa never told her the children were taken because she was on drugs & not abuse. Maybe more as a driving point? I went back & looked at a few things, I can't find that either child was burned or anything.

Does anybody know why the cop was asked if Tessa said she had ever poured boiling water on her daughter, or made her eat feces? Is this a story that Jennifer was putting around when talking about the foster placement?
Jennifer would tell that story to the other mother who had a daughter in gymnastics at the same time Millie went there. There was only the two girls in that session, so Jennifer and this other mother would sit together on the bench at the side watching, with Laila. She said Laila would lie down on the bench and she wondered what was wrong with her because it was unusual for a 2 year old. Jennifer told her she had been abused before she got her. I think it was this witness that saw the mark on Laila's tummy when it was red. I believe it had turned white by the time of her death.

Wow, this doctor's testimony is going to be the opposite of the prosecutions case. I thought he was just going to testify about her fracture.
I don't think he will be able to disprove a lot of things. He testified yesterday shortly about the fractures. I'm not sure why they did not allow him to do his entire testimony at one time though.

Jennifer would tell that story to the other mother who had a daughter in gymnastics at the same time Millie went there. There was only the two girls in that session, so Jennifer and this other mother would sit together on the bench at the side watching, with Laila. She said Laila would lie down on the bench and she wondered what was wrong with her because it was unusual for a 2 year old. Jennifer told her she had been abused before she got her. I think it was this witness that saw the mark on Laila's tummy when it was red. I believe it had turned white by the time of her death.
You're right! I can't remember if Jennifer told her how though. That could 've where the boiling water came from.

I don't think he will be able to disprove a lot of things. He testified yesterday shortly about the fractures. I'm not sure why they did not allow him to do his entire testimony at one time though.

He wasn't testifying to the jury yesterday. Defense was just trying to get in some photo micrographs of her injury.

Do you guys think the prosecution can bring the exit up since Mull brought it in by asking about it?

Defense probably brought it up because judge probably said he would allow it in pre-trial hearings so they know prosecution will bring it up. Then defense will try to rehabilitate him.

What do you guys make of the ladder Jennifer's sister testified to? That was pretty damning in my opinion. Who allows a 2 yr old & 4 yr old play outside around a ladder like that unsupervised? Also if dfacs had completed an appropriate home study, I don't think they'd be allowed to have foster children until that was removed. Who leaves a ladder like that for 4 yrs anyway?

He wasn't testifying to the jury yesterday. Defense was just trying to get in some photo micrographs of her injury.
I'm not sure how I missed he was in front of the jury yesterday. Im kind of new to the court thing. I thought he was talking about the slides but was unable to show them. Thank you for clearing that up for me!

What do you guys make of the ladder Jennifer's sister testified to? That was pretty damning in my opinion. Who allows a 2 yr old & 4 yr old play outside around a ladder like that unsupervised? Also if dfacs had completed an appropriate home study, I don't think they'd be allowed to have foster children until that was removed. Who leaves a ladder like that for 4 yrs anyway?

They might be able to get them for neglect on the ladder, but I just looked over the charges on the previous page and there is no neglect charge.

I'm not sure how I missed he was in front of the jury yesterday. Im kind of new to the court thing. I thought he was talking about the slides but was unable to show them. Thank you for clearing that up for me!

My thought is he will not be able to show them but maybe will try to describe them, but that might be something the judge will not allow. We'll find out soon.

I'm thinking now the state will need to bring the ME back on rebuttal, just for that one issue.

I think what they said yesterday is since they released her from her subpoena she can't be called back. I may have misunderstood though.

OMG did you all see him fall off his chair? I thought that was the end of him. But he's okay.

I think the state's pathologist went somewhere I didn't catch what it was they said yesterday but my impression was that she was no longer available. I don't see why she couldn't testify by facetime or skype if she's moved that far away, or they can't pay for her travel.

The judge disallowed the micrograph photos, for a different reason. I remember learning during the Anthony trial that experts have to stick to the opinion they give when they turn over their work product, unless something happens to come up in trial that would change their opinion, and then they get to be re-deposed and change their reports.

Sperry said during the arguments over the micrographs yesterday, that nothing the ME said on the stand changed his opinion at all, he just thought to take them as a way to show the jury what he'll be talking about better. Since they illustrate the same opinion he held when he reported back in October, they are considered a discovery violation...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
disturbedprincess6
Back