GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I don't think the police could auction off any of McDaniel's possessions, he has not been convicted of ANYTHING. Maybe if the items were released and the family didn't pick them up after a long time they could be auctioned, but I don't see that happening in this case.
and
I would think if they were selling MCD's personal possessions he probably told them what to sell, and if the swords had value he would probably tell them where to sell it so they could get a decent price (but I could be wrong, just my opinion). Murderabilia can be anything previously owned by an infamous killer, most muderabilia consists of letters, artwork, etc... Examples: http://www.supernaught.com/index.php...ewCat&catId=28

So that was kind of my point.... according to the quote above, you seemed to state the Police would under the direction of "he" referring to whom I thought was McDaniel and Family, maybe too many pronouns, I got confused

I'm pretty sure that LE gives a receipt for any item taken into evidence. I'm also pretty sure that any thing seized by police and ultimately unused and unclaimed has to be sold at public auction after it having been announced and described in the legal section of the newspaper.

I'm pretty sure that LE gives a receipt for any item taken into evidence. I'm also pretty sure that any thing seized by police and ultimately unused and unclaimed has to be sold at public auction after it having been announced and described in the legal section of the newspaper.

Yes they provide a voucher for seized property.

The attorney or the defendant can send a letter to the DA's office asking that any property not being kept as evidence be released. I am sure the attorneys would have done that a while ago in a case like this, they would want to get as much stuff as possible OUT of the police/DA's hands (especially items like swords) and probably also get some hints on what the DA plans to keep as evidence (long before the evidence box is turned over).

I would think once the request has been made the police couldn't just claim "oh it's abandoned" and auction it off without notifying the attorneys/defendant.

Macon police told to tighten evidence handling

Published: July 6, 2012 Updated 12 hours ago

By JIM GAINES — jgaines@macon.com

Vague records, easy access drew auditor’s warning

A review of security at the Macon Police Department’s evidence room found there was no way to tell who had been in the room, if all items there were being documented, or if anyone had changed the evidence record.

When she did a surprise cash count of money in the evidence room’s safe, city Internal Auditor Stephanie Jones found nearly $244,000 in confiscated funds that weren’t being tracked by the Finance Department.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2012/07/06/2086616/macon-police-told-to-tighten-evidence.html

I do find the timing of this "finding" to be interesting. It falls in line with the ugly rumors about how evidence has been gathered and processed in this case.
Hindsight is always 20/20, but who's to say that the MPD evidence room is not some wide open place with free and easy access , or at least someone with the right credentials ( DA's office, anyone??) could get into , root around, or God forbid , plant stuff. Who's to say this sword we are discussing wasn't taken and pawned by a needy officer. They certainly don't make a lot of money.
Why are they just now performing this audit ?

I fear Frank Hogue is going to make MPD look like Lieutenant Frank Drebin and Greg Winters look like Hamilton Burger.

I personally doubt that the swords spotted in the shop are in any way connected with Stephen McDaniel, though my antennae would certainly have gone up, too -- intriguing set of circumstances. For what it's worth, we did at one time hear from an MPD source that SM's swords, though seized, were not (at that time, at least) thought to be connected with the charges:

... police spokeswoman Jami Gaudet told Reuters on Wednesday ...

... McDaniel had a collection of swords, but police have not linked the swords to Giddings' death.

"That was a recreational thing for him," she said. "We've never made a connection between the two."
read more at: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/03/us-crime-death-lawgrad-idUSTRE7724D120110803

I personally doubt that the swords spotted in the shop are in any way connected with Stephen McDaniel, though my antennae would certainly have gone up, too -- intriguing set of circumstances. For what it's worth, we did at one time hear from an MPD source that SM's swords, though seized, were not (at that time, at least) thought to be connected with the charges:

read more at: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/03/us-crime-death-lawgrad-idUSTRE7724D120110803

I think their/my antennae went up but I dont' think any thought there was any sword connection to the murders. that was just really really something to stumble upon with all the coincendences surrounding them !! Whomever they belong to!

When will this case move? It is not surprising that a case you are watching seems to take a lifetime. Patrick Wharens double murder case took 4 years. I think the next motions to be made are in September and then November. I keep waiting for headlines that say a confession has been made. Sociopathic murderers generally will not confess. What a mess and nightmare fo all. I believe SM to be that person, I hope the law is able to get to the heart of the matter. Given Winters inglorious misteps already, I worry.

When will this case move? It is not surprising that a case you are watching seems to take a lifetime. Patrick Wharens double murder case took 4 years. I think the next motions to be made are in September and then November. I keep waiting for headlines that say a confession has been made. Sociopathic murderers generally will not confess. What a mess and nightmare fo all. I believe SM to be that person, I hope the law is able to get to the heart of the matter. Given Winters inglorious misteps already, I worry.

bbm: Where are you getting the dates (well, months) you mention? I haven't seen that anywhere.

It does sound fairly much in line, though, with the last mention I did find (and please excuse the ALL CAPS and syntax error in the quote -- it's that way on the 13WMAZ website):

DEFENSE ATTORNEY FRANK HOGUE SAYS THEY LIKE WON'T HAVE ANY MORE HEARINGS THIS SUMMER.... BUT RATHER, THEY'LL SPEND THE MONTHS COMBING THROUGH EVIDENCE AND PREPARING FOR TRIAL.

MOTIONS IN THE CASE ARE DUE AUGUST 31... BUT HOGUE SAYS AFTER LOOKING AT THE BODY OF EVIDENCE... THE DEFENSE TEAM WILL PROBABLY NEED MORE TIME.
http://www.13wmaz.com/archive/article/185648/340/Tuesday-June-19-Eyewitness-News-at-6

I must have completely missed the 13WMAZ article. With Hogue saying that they probably will need more time after looking at the body of evidence, it leads me to believe LE must have quite a good bit of evidence.

I must have completely missed the 13WMAZ article. With Hogue saying that they probably will need more time after looking at the body of evidence, it leads me to believe LE must have quite a good bit of evidence.

Well, what was it the prosecution handed over -- a banker's box full or something, IIRC?

And we know that more than 200 or so pieces of evidence from the apartment complex alone were submitted for testing , I believe. Then add in all the other possible evidence, witness lists, etc. -- I'm sure the defense has been combing through a lot ... and it's not all going to be self-explanatory, either, as I understand -- the defense might already be at a point where some of it is being looked at/evaluated by their own experts, I'm not sure.

Can anyone tell me: Say, for example, among those 200 pieces of possible physical evidence from the complex were some that did not test/prove to be related to the charges brought by the prosecution -- did not end up supporting their case -- would the results from those have to be turned over as well? Or is it only the evidence they plan to use at trial that has to be turned over?

I'm not really talking here about evidence that tends to exculpate -- I believe that is supposed to be provided to the defense, no? -- but just stuff that kind of came up a big zero (if any did).

I'm pretty sure that all evidence/results have to be turned over to the defense. Someone please answer this question for me. When the defense files their motions (pretrial), will the motions be available to the public like the warrants we've seen so far?

The dates were mentioned during the first bond hearings, they are apporiximate.
Thank you all for your continued interest and devotion in seeing that justice is done.
There is another memorial August 25th in Atlanta, I will post further information on that.
It has generated much interest and 1500 are speculated to attend. Lauren's memory torch is till being carried by those that were close to her. It is a tribute to her character and substance displayed while she lived.

Well looks like our reactions are edited by Bessie. Perhaps it is best because I get upset about any positive spin for McDaniel. Lundy mentioned aquittal and it upset me. I overreacted, he appears genuine.

Quite simply, a deranged neighbor who has a track record for being strange, talks about murder and insensitvity to gruesome deaths, talks about a perfect murder, has her clothes in his apt, has master keys, cadaver dogs hit on his apartment when the girl next store is brutally killed. Why is this so confusing to some of you? Where are her remains. It is my contention they are in the river or on the grandfathers property.. Or quite frankly in the woods anywhere around the Macon area. All of this is maddening. I have a special intereset because she was a friend of my family.
There seems to be a disinterest in the case there and that saddens me. I hope this goes to trial in the forseeable future and justice is served. All of you that are following this, may God bless you all.

I was driving over the Ocmulgee today, again.....noticing how low. Then it hit me, LG is somewhere right under our noses or on his grandfathers property. LIke what many have mentioned in the past posts that she is somewhere that is dear to SM (if he's guilty) (sorry sorry, he just hasn't been to trial yet the reason I say "if")

But like you say, in the river or anywhere along the roadsides that are so heavily wooded with trees and underbrush. In other cases I've read, it's been stunning to know that the victim was not that far from home or the attack and was found years later or popped up out of the river in the bag that was teh casket.

What again is the reason the family cannot search for their beloved??!!! I am so ready to search those bramble thickets along the roadways! :banghead:

Well, what was it the prosecution handed over -- a banker's box full or something, IIRC?

And we know that more than 200 or so pieces of evidence from the apartment complex alone were submitted for testing , I believe. Then add in all the other possible evidence, witness lists, etc. -- I'm sure the defense has been combing through a lot ... and it's not all going to be self-explanatory, either, as I understand -- the defense might already be at a point where some of it is being looked at/evaluated by their own experts, I'm not sure.

Can anyone tell me: Say, for example, among those 200 pieces of possible physical evidence from the complex were some that did not test/prove to be related to the charges brought by the prosecution -- did not end up supporting their case -- would the results from those have to be turned over as well? Or is it only the evidence they plan to use at trial that has to be turned over?

I'm not really talking here about evidence that tends to exculpate -- I believe that is supposed to be provided to the defense, no? -- but just stuff that kind of came up a big zero (if any did).

IN no certain order, shuffled like a deck of cards too no doubt. LOL. WHat a mess to have to sort. I hope they had to turn over everything.

I was driving over the Ocmulgee today, again.....noticing how low. Then it hit me, LG is somewhere right under our noses or on his grandfathers property. LIke what many have mentioned in the past posts that she is somewhere that is dear to SM (if he's guilty) (sorry sorry, he just hasn't been to trial yet the reason I say "if")

But like you say, in the river or anywhere along the roadsides that are so heavily wooded with trees and underbrush. In other cases I've read, it's been stunning to know that the victim was not that far from home or the attack and was found years later or popped up out of the river in the bag that was teh casket.

What again is the reason the family cannot search for their beloved??!!! I am so ready to search those bramble thickets along the roadways! :banghead:

bbm: They probably don't have any really good idea of where she most likely was placed. If they did, and it was private property, they would need permission, unless evidence was convincing enough for LE to get a search warrant. They (private individuals) could search on public property, I guess, if they had a good clue as to where ... but if they found something, the method of search and findings might could be challenged legally in some ways and, if what was found was not handled properly, any possible remaining forensic evidence could be compromised.

I still really wish we would hear something about the partial skeletal remains found behind the Gray Highway shopping center in March -- even if just determined to be male or female.

http://www.macon.com/2012/03/06/1933279/skeletal-remains-found-behind.html

I don't really think there's much chance those were Lauren's remains ... but...

I have also wondered if they could be the remains of this gentleman who has a thread here:

GA GA - Troy Donavon Burnett - 47 years old - Twiggs County - 20-Dec-2011 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

He is from Twiggs Co. but was traveling on foot or bike, I believe, the day he went missing, and has a seizure disorder which left him with other substantial disabilities as well.

I don't think there has been any further public news on his case past the day or two it was first reported that he was missing, back in December. I see his thread here (which is only Info and Support) just got the first new item in a long time, noting that his case file was added to the Charley Project last month.

I really hope The Telegraph will do a follow-up story on the skeletal remains and also one on any developments for Mr. Donovan's case (or, if there are no developments, to try to light a little fire under the search for him).

bbm: They probably don't have any really good idea of where she most likely was placed. If they did, and it was private property, they would need permission, unless evidence was convincing enough for LE to get a search warrant. They (private individuals) could search on public property, I guess, if they had a good clue as to where ... but if they found something, the method of search and findings might could be challenged legally in some ways and, if what was found was not handled properly, any possible remaining forensic evidence could be compromised.

Thank you backwoods. I think the latter portion however, SM grandfather gave persmission for any to come and search. I just keep remembering (i think it was ) the week before LG was missing, SM had driven on his grandfather's land with him "reminiscing" or some such. Rehashing I guess, it's been discussed before I know

Did I read somewhere that the grandfather, SM mother's father, had recently passed away?

I still really wish we would hear something about the partial skeletal remains found behind the Gray Highway shopping center in March -- even if just determined to be male or female.

http://www.macon.com/2012/03/06/1933279/skeletal-remains-found-behind.html

I don't really think there's much chance those were Lauren's remains ... but...

I have also wondered if they could be the remains of this gentleman who has a thread here:

GA GA - Troy Donavon Burnett - 47 years old - Twiggs County - 20-Dec-2011 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

He is from Twiggs Co. but was traveling on foot or bike, I believe, the day he went missing, and has a seizure disorder which left him with other substantial disabilities as well.

I don't think there has been any further public news on his case past the day or two it was first reported that he was missing, back in December. I see his thread here (which is only Info and Support) just got the first new item in a long time, noting that his case file was added to the Charley Project last month.

I really hope The Telegraph will do a follow-up story on the skeletal remains and also one on any developments for Mr. Donovan's case (or, if there are no developments, to try to light a little fire under the search for him).

Autopsy DNA tests should be back by now?

If it was LG would it be posted all over the news or would there be a reason not to?

Thank you backwoods. I think the latter portion however, SM grandfather gave persmission for any to come and search. I just keep remembering (i think it was ) the week before LG was missing, SM had driven on his grandfather's land with him "reminiscing" or some such. Rehashing I guess, it's been discussed before I know

Did I read somewhere that the grandfather, SM mother's father, had recently passed away?

Yes, he died. It was reported in one of the articles about defense asking for bond reduction.

Yes, he died. It was reported in one of the articles about defense asking for bond reduction.

I believe it said he died in April.

Same article said Floyd Buford arranged with the authorities to allow a phone call between SM and his grandfather while his grandfather was hospitalized, I believe. I was glad to hear that part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot!