GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I woke up this morning thinking about Lauren and the ripple effect. I must have been dreaming about her, but I don't remember it.

I thought about all of the myriad ways, big and small, she touched lives and how changes in the current of life as a result of her absence will affect not just those closest to her, but also lives seemingly far removed.

You know... the tired and cranky single mother working as a gas station attendant who might have seen Lauren's smile or received a kind word from her, and as a result gone home with a smile and a hug for her kid rather than a frown and a snap, giving the kid a little extra boost to do something more productive than escaping into video games... and on and on.

Tomorrow, I think I'll do something randomly kind in Lauren's honor, just because... just throw a positive little pebble into the stream of life for her.

bbm: There's no better way, IMO southern_comfort, to honor anyone's memory.

bumping the thread for Lauren -- and trying not to let Macon media outlets forget that we are expecting an update on the case from them very soon.

It will probably be a while. I would imagine preparing for the pretrial motions is darn near as much work (if not more) as preparing for the trial itself. Sorting through thousands and thousands of pages, once they have done that one would think they have created the framework for their arguments and the hardest part is done (just speculating).

I wonder if the evidence handling procedures comes into play during this part too? I am sure they could revisit it at trial but getting the evidence thrown out before trial would probably be ideal.

The video you posted back on June 26th said Aug 31 or "a little longer" so maybe it won't be too much longer. Whenever I watch videos of Hogue the thought that comes to mind is "Dumb like a fox". He always speaks in such a disarming, slow, humble, manner! Maybe the term wolf in sheep's clothing would be more accurate!

Hogue is quite the controversial figure and he certainly does have fans, even folks that don't always agree him are often charmed by him, I bet a lot of people will watch the actual trial video just to see what he does. McDaniel needs a charismatic lawyer to offset his somewhat unusual persona.

Wondering about one thing...the fake post was read at the beginning April, then the evidence box was handed over around April 20th. If the evidence box included ALL of the alleged McDaniel posts and (presumably) NONE of those posts were verified could the defense have a field day with that? I mean if there were statements included from investigators saying the posts were McDaniel's, but then that couldn't be proven, couldn't that be dragged up and used to show incompetence? I don't know if a lot of collaborating investigator statements are included, maybe they aren't.

It will probably be a while. I would imagine preparing for the pretrial motions is darn near as much work (if not more) as preparing for the trial itself. Sorting through thousands and thousands of pages, once they have done that one would think they have created the framework for their arguments and the hardest part is done (just speculating).

I wonder if the evidence handling procedures comes into play during this part too? I am sure they could revisit it at trial but getting the evidence thrown out before trial would probably be ideal.

The video you posted back on June 26th said Aug 31 or "a little longer" so maybe it won't be too much longer. Whenever I watch videos of Hogue the thought that comes to mind is "Dumb like a fox". He always speaks in such a disarming, slow, humble, manner! Maybe the term wolf in sheep's clothing would be more accurate!

Hogue is quite the controversial figure and he certainly does have fans, even folks that don't always agree him are often charmed by him, I bet a lot of people will watch the actual trial video just to see what he does. McDaniel needs a charismatic lawyer to offset his somewhat unusual persona.

Wondering about one thing...the fake post was read at the beginning April, then the evidence box was handed over around April 20th. If the evidence box included ALL of the alleged McDaniel posts and (presumably) NONE of those posts were verified could the defense have a field day with that? I mean if there were statements included from investigators saying the posts were McDaniel's, but then that couldn't be proven, couldn't that be dragged up and used to show incompetence? I don't know if a lot of collaborating investigator statements are included, maybe they aren't.

Yep, I agree the actual filing of the motions could indeed take a good while yet -- but I just feel that the original Aug. 31 date was a GREAT cue for the media to go looking for an update, whatever it might be! So far, not seeing any sign anyone's done that though.

That whole post thing -- just still has me shaking my head. Don't know how it will affect any use of the others, if that was planned -- guess they could still use them. But I'd think what happened with the "Mickey Finn" post could definitely cast a shadow.

That whole post thing -- just still has me shaking my head. Don't know how it will affect any use of the others, if that was planned -- guess they could still use them. But I'd think what happened with the "Mickey Finn" post could definitely cast a shadow.

I don't think they can use any since it appears none of them were properly verified. Plus remember that mickey finn post was supposedly just one out of a thread full of troll posts, the investigators could have grabbed half a dozen other equally bizarre fake posts and included all of them! I just wondered if it was included in the evidence could the defense use it to call the state's credibility into question?

Then again the internet posts were the one thing that really made McDaniel look like a potentially dangerous freak (vs a harmless eccentric) so perhaps the defense would prefer that all of them are simply taken out of the picture. Course there is always the rather questionable child *advertiser censored* thing, but I am not sure if that can be introduced.

Hello Sleuthers , I am still here , and check in every so often, but there is just nothing and I mean nothing going on with this case , to speak of. I will work on getting some facts, but in the meantime here is Agent Frank's pure speculation:
The defense is in no hurry to get this trial underway. They think, and I agree, that the calendar is their friend. The wheels of justice here, if they are turning at all, are turning very slowly. No motions have even been heard yet , I will check one of these days to see if they have been filed , when I can get down to the courthouse. The prosecution , meanwhile, if you can believe this, has not received all of the evidence back from the FBI ! Only explanation I have received is that this is just one of several cases they are working on . Not sure what Greg Winters is up to, but if I was him I would be raising hell to get all the evidence back and pressing for the trial to get underway , or get something moving. Taking myself, for example, I am not as passionate about this case as I once was, and if that can happen to me I am sure the general public will be the same way . Memories fade, time heals wounds,evidence grows cold , (or gets "lost") people forget how awful this was. Winters originally told me we were looking at 2013 for the trial to begin . Now I am hearing (not from him but from another source ) 2014 if we are lucky. :waiting:

And on that note, if Greg Winters isn't in a hurry, surely the defense isn't in a hurry to possibly find some real damning evidence on their client. Yes you are right, people forget or are less shocked and moved by it as time goes on and many people just move on to some other drama to occupy their mind. Ashame really, I just hope their is some seriously damning evidence pointing to who did this, I'm shocked it's not all back yet! Thanks

Just to be clear, SMDs maternal grandfather Hollis, is the one who had the land that LGs fam wants to still search. He gave the interesting interview. He passed around this past Spring? Now paternal granfather died. So interesting. U think it is stress?

If there were already in ill health, possibly this was something that took them over the edge, you know how we all felt, IMAGINE, JUST IMAGINE, if this was your favorite grandson, how they must have felt. Interesting timing on their deaths to say the least, so sad for them and their families, what an ordeal they've all been through, just keeping thinking how shocked I was at this case in the beginning, every day haunting me for nearly a year, still haunted but not on a daily basis as before, I pray my family never has to go through what either of these families have had to endure, they're all in my prayers is all I can say and glad the grandparents won't have to endure the outcome of the trial if SMD is convicted

I don't think they can use any since it appears none of them were properly verified. Plus remember that mickey finn post was supposedly just one out of a thread full of troll posts, the investigators could have grabbed half a dozen other equally bizarre fake posts and included all of them! I just wondered if it was included in the evidence could the defense use it to call the state's credibility into question?

Then again the internet posts were the one thing that really made McDaniel look like a potentially dangerous freak (vs a harmless eccentric) so perhaps the defense would prefer that all of them are simply taken out of the picture. Course there is always the rather questionable child *advertiser censored* thing, but I am not sure if that can be introduced.

If AgentFrank is correct that the prosecution is still awaiting some results from the FBI, maybe the posts are what they are now looking at -- since FBI was credited by prosecution for bringing into question the validity of the Mickey Finn post! -- maybe trying to find a way to separate "the wheat from the chaff", so to speak, at this late date. Or -- maybe in the process of looking at that, they have turned up some other "internet evidence" we don't know about. (Or possibly some other evidence, physical evidence, has turned up and is being tested.)

Of course, I always felt -- and I know many have felt differently -- that the posts were not likely to be a vital part of the prosecution's case anyhow. I can see how, with a strong case otherwise and if deemed admissible, the post-assault reaction SM described in the "Westboro post" might be pertinent. Maybe one other post I thought might have some possibilities, too. But for the most part, they just seem so unrelated -- I just have never seen them as that valuable to the prosecution's case.

Now, if the Mickey Finn post had been authentic, that would have been quite a different story (to me)!

I don't know how the child *advertiser censored* may or may not play into the murder case, either, Sonya.

If AgentFrank is correct that the prosecution is still awaiting some results from the FBI, maybe the posts are what they are now looking at -- since FBI was credited by prosecution for bringing into question the validity of the Mickey Finn post! -- maybe trying to find a way to separate "the wheat from the chaff", so to speak, at this late date. Or -- maybe in the process of looking at that, they have turned up some other "internet evidence" we don't know about. (Or possibly some other evidence, physical evidence, has turned up and is being tested.)

Of course, I always felt -- and I know many have felt differently -- that the posts were not likely to be a vital part of the prosecution's case anyhow. I can see how, with a strong case otherwise and if deemed admissible, the post-assault reaction SM described in the "Westboro post" might be pertinent. Maybe one other post I thought might have some possibilities, too. But for the most part, they just seem so unrelated -- I just have never seen them as that valuable to the prosecution's case.

Now, if the Mickey Finn post had been authentic, that would have been quite a different story (to me)!

I don't know how the child *advertiser censored* may or may not play into the murder case, either, Sonya.

I've always thought that the child *advertiser censored* charges, serious as they are, might be used as leverage in the murder case. Or, if tried and not convicted, then pursue them in court.

And on that note, if Greg Winters isn't in a hurry, surely the defense isn't in a hurry to possibly find some real damning evidence on their client. Yes you are right, people forget or are less shocked and moved by it as time goes on and many people just move on to some other drama to occupy their mind. Ashame really, I just hope their is some seriously damning evidence pointing to who did this, I'm shocked it's not all back yet! Thanks

The finding of evidence is over for the prosecution, and I am sure Hogue has been eagerly sorting through it all. This is a showcase trial for him. A year ago one of the officials said "we will wait for that last card, either it will be a full house, or we move on to other things". I think Winters decided not to move on despite that last card.

I just know that the grapevine says they don't have a smoking gun. Of course they would be tight lipped on details if they DID but they would still smirk and say "we got em, you can be sure on that!". Macon is a small town, if they had the goods there would be some bravado (and less fake internet posts submitted as evidence of guilt).

If the US Government, with the best laboratories and investigative procedures in the world, cannot prove that he did it how do anyone of us really know he did? Fact is he really could be the innocent but odd schizotypal neighbor that got blamed for being "strange and convenient". I was not there, I do no know what happened, if someone claims they do know then they should be able to prove what they know.

If I'm remembering correctly, Stephen McDaniel has a birthday coming up this month -- the second one he will have spent in jail (assuming that's where he will be). Maybe that will be an opening for Macon's The Telegraph to update...something.

I'm more and more convinced that the Gannett-Telegraph/Telegraph-Mercer configuration that has come to exist with the grant/journalism program at Mercer, etc. -- mixed and mingled, too, with local politics -- does not bode well for future coverage of this case. I hope I'm wrong, but I really think that has had an effect.

To be fair, maybe there are concerns about preserving the local venue for a trial, as well. But I don't think that's the major influence.
Newspapers, colleges create new media landscape

Last Tuesday in the humid heat of central Georgia, a new experiment in journalism was launched.

The Macon Telegraph, which has served the city of just under 100,000 since 1826, launched its partnership with Mercer University and Georgia Public Broadcasting. Many eyes are now on Mercer’s College Hill where the Telegraph’s newsroom has merged with Mercer’s journalism department in the brand new Center for Collaborative Journalism. ...

read more at: http://www.usatodayeducate.com/staging/index.php/ccp/newspapers-colleges-create-new-media-landscape

I wanted to clarify that, in my post just above, I am not meaning to say that I think the Mercer-Telegraph journalism partnership is a bad thing, overall. I believe it has the potential to be a very good thing, for both Mercer and the newspaper, in fact.

It's just that for this case, because of the extremely strong "Mercer" connections, I feel that the temptation/pressure to squelch the vigorous reporting that might happen otherwise is going to be very great.

Consider this: In this case, the victim Lauren Giddings; the accused, Stephen McDaniel; Judge S. Phillip Brown; the district attorney, Greg Winters, and the assistant d.a. we have seen most, Nancy Scott Malcor; defense attorneys Floyd Buford and Franklin Hogue -- all of them are graduates of Mercer's Walter F. George School of Law! All of them.

Of course, it is adding the victim and the accused to the "roster" of alums that makes this case so very unusual in this respect. I expect it happens fairly often, in Macon, that judge, prosecutors, and defense attorneys share that. But when you add the angle that Lauren Giddings and Stephen McDaniel do, as well -- I have to wonder if this has ever happened in Macon before. In fact, I bet to have the shared background of the same law school to this degree (including the victim and the accused) has rarely happened in any courtroom.

Consider this: In this case, the victim Lauren Giddings; the accused, Stephen McDaniel; Judge S. Phillip Brown; the district attorney, Greg Winters, and the assistant d.a. we have seen most, Nancy Scott Malcor; defense attorneys Floyd Buford and Franklin Hogue -- all of them are graduates of Mercer's Walter F. George School of Law! All of them.

Hogue is also on the faculty, he teaches a class.

Hogue is also on the faculty, he teaches a class.

That's correct, he is -- as we know, Lauren took his Advanced Criminal Trial Practice class.

Also interesting: On the Hogue and Hogue website, we learn that Hogue's wife, Laura D. Hogue, who is also his law partner, is yet another Mercer law school grad -- and team-teaches with her husband at Mercer, apparently. She had background as a Macon Judicial Circuit assistant d.a. before they formed their firm. She isn't officially involved in this case, as far as I know, though.

http://www.hogueandhogue.com/

Still not a breath about this case in the local media recently ...!

That's correct, he is -- as we know, Lauren took his Advanced Criminal Trial Practice class.

Also interesting: On the Hogue and Hogue website, we learn that Hogue's wife, Laura D. Hogue, who is also his law partner, is yet another Mercer law school grad -- and team-teaches with her husband at Mercer, apparently. She had background as a Macon Judicial Circuit assistant d.a. before they formed their firm. She isn't officially involved in this case, as far as I know, though.

http://www.hogueandhogue.com/

Still not a breath about this case in the local media recently ...!

Hmm, is the a so-called "good ole boys system" working it here?
Worst of all, that these Mercer Alumni would want to defend one of their own who possibly murdered and dismembered one of their own.....(!) I'm not thinking too highly of Mercer right this minute if this is how it works. I suppose someone has to defend him but my gosh, where are people's loyalties? I feel as tho they've all turned on LG, and for what reason other than claim to fame?? I guess many are that way in this career field possibly

Worst of all, that these Mercer Alumni would want to defend one of their own who possibly murdered and dismembered one of their own.....(!) I'm not thinking too highly of Mercer right this minute if this is how it works.

So you are saying that they should all *assume* he is guilty and refuse to represent him because of that? I think most attorneys are taught that the legal system is in place to decide guilt or innocence, which is why we have trials and we don't just get a mob of folks together and lynch suspected criminals.

Hmm, is the a so-called "good ole boys system" working it here?
Worst of all, that these Mercer Alumni would want to defend one of their own who possibly murdered and dismembered one of their own.....(!) I'm not thinking too highly of Mercer right this minute if this is how it works. I suppose someone has to defend him but my gosh, where are people's loyalties? I feel as tho they've all turned on LG, and for what reason other than claim to fame?? I guess many are that way in this career field possibly

My opinion is that the trial (whenever it happens) should be moved out of Bibb County and a special prosecutor assigned.

My opinion is that the trial (whenever it happens) should be moved out of Bibb County and a special prosecutor assigned.

Couldn't agree with you more!!

This wait is unbearable, can't imagine what it's like for Lauren's family and friends!!

If a new DA is elected in November, which I truly hope happens, could a new one change the charges or take the death penalty off the table? Do ya'll think it could happen? Do ya'll think it would affect the chances of SM being convicted if the death penalty were dropped? Just trying to keep the thread current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Double