GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah apparently the powers that be in Macon did NOT want to see a bench donated to the park by family and friends in her honor. Tis a mystery as to why that was a problem!

Glad they got it passed, but not a good memorial for Macon, they have enough bad press with all the crime yet this is certainly not something you want your town remembered for when passersby see the bench, of course many won't know the details

It's a wonderful memorial for LG and her family, actually quite amazing they even want anything to do with this town after that, so macon should be proud and happy they aren't trying to sue someone like many would do.

So now we wait to see who screams the loudest because their loved one doesnt' get a bench, however some will fail to recognize that the family paid for the memoral. But I think that was the city's concern, how many benches can Washington Park hold once everyone decides their loved one needs a memorial becuase they too were murdered in macon

I get it, many do not.

Just sharing my thoughts, not debating

Glad they got it passed, but not a good memorial for Macon, they have enough bad press with all the crime yet this is certainly not something you want your town remembered for when passersby see the bench, of course many won't know the details

It's a wonderful memorial for LG and her family, actually quite amazing they even want anything to do with this town after that, so macon should be proud and happy they aren't trying to sue someone like many would do.

So now we wait to see who screams the loudest because their loved one doesnt' get a bench, however some will fail to recognize that the family paid for the memoral. But I think that was the city's concern, how many benches can Washington Park hold once everyone decides their loved one needs a memorial becuase they too were murdered in macon

I get it, many do not.

I get it, too, but I don't think it will end up being an practical issue. I could be wrong, but I just don't see a run on memorial bench requests.

I haven't read all of the articles about the bench. I am just aware of the issue via the postings here. I'm sure there will be a racial element to the complaints about it, if there isn't already.

I get it, too, but I don't think it will end up being an practical issue. I could be wrong, but I just don't see a run on memorial bench requests.

I haven't read all of the articles about the bench. I am just aware of the issue via the postings here. I'm sure there will be a racial element to the complaints about it, if there isn't already.

hahaha! I was being somewhat sarcastic. Though, you know how it works, usually someone tries to do a good thing, with good intentions and others swarm for attention, debating and whining;l I didn't say anything about race either so no one else misinterprets my comment

I'll have to get down there and check it out ! Congrats LG and family

I get it, many do not.

You made some very good observations in this post, tomkat, IMO.

And I am not debating, either -- just adding some thoughts:

I don't think there was ever much real danger that the bench wasn't going to be approved. I do agree that part of the reason for any controversy over it becoming a reality was because there could be "comparisons" and it could set a precedent that could cause potential problems, with no set way to handle such proposals -- IMO, that was a legitimate concern that needed to be dealt with, with guidelines set in place so that council wouldn't have to get into a continuing debate each time a new memorial might be proposed.

So, an additional upside to the outcome -- beyond Lauren's bench becoming a reality -- is that council got some things worked out about handling those possible future requests, so if there is a similar situation, there is less likely to be all the hoopla next time. I think they very wisely chose, in the end, to "open the door" and basically say, "Memorials such as this are a good thing and will be welcomed" (and they don't all have to be benches, LOL) -- and then, importantly, set in place guidelines for how proposals for any future similar projects will be channeled and handled.

... A policy proposed by Councilman Frank Tompkins to establish general guidelines for requesting and placing any future memorials also passed 11-0 on Tuesday. It leaves approval for benches, landscaping, plaques, artworks and any other monuments in the hands of the city’s Central Services or Public Works directors. Their decisions can be appealed to the city’s chief administrative officer. ...
http://www.macon.com/2012/08/07/2127453/macon-police-and-fire-pension.html

..."I knew we had to go through the proper channels, and I understand what the resistance is because you need something in place to take care of other request that would come in the future," added Scott Tisdale, designer of the bench.

That something would be a nine page resolution drawn up by Councilman Louis Tompkins stating guidelines upon which a monument or memorial can be erected.

"The purpose of the legislation was basically to put policies and procedures in place so that an individual who desires to memorialize a loved one who has lost his or her life through whatever means can do so," said Tompkins. ...

... An application must be submitted to the Public Works Department and applicants must cover the cost of construction. ...
http://www.newscentralga.com/news/l...Bench-Sets-Standard-for-Future-165370466.html

Can't wait to see it! Also anxious to hear about the case !

I think one of the media reports I linked said the bench is to be "unveiled" at the August 25th memorial concert (in Washington Park).

Let's put Lauren's thread higher up on the front page. Hoping we hear something soon.

I'd hoped I might find at least some MSM advance mention today of the memorial concert coming up to bump Lauren's thread with, but I don't see anything, yet. So we'll just do it this way ...

Looks like, in addition to the memorial concert, picnic and bench dedication in Washington Park in Macon on Saturday, Lauren's memory will also be honored with the dedication of a newly-refurbished sign at Mercer Law School this weekend. (The park events are public; the sign dedication will be private.)

Memorials for Lauren Giddings Set for Saturday

...It's not just in the park. The celebration of Lauren Giddings continues at her alma mater.

"We wanted to do something to remember Lauren who was so special to us in so many ways," said former classmate Bowen Reichert. She's the daughter of Macon's Mayor Robert Reichert. ...
print article and video: http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/article/193670/153/Memorials-for-Lauren-Giddings-Set-for-Saturday

I hope if any of our posters attend the public memorial (or the private one, for that matter), they'll report in.

tomkat, find myself wondering if you might make the concert and bench dedication tonight...

Coverage of today's memorials from macon.com:

Friends honor slain law student Lauren Giddings in separate ceremonies

... Scott Tisdale, who often ran with Giddings, built the bench as a piece of metal art.

He said he designed it with curves because Giddings had a strong feminine side, but made it of steel to represent how tough she was. ...

Oh, wow -- wait 'til y'all see this PINK bench! Great photo with Lauren's mom and sister Karen!

ETA: Here's coverage from 13WMAZ in Macon -- think there should be a print article and video, but I can't get the video to play just yet, so maybe they are still getting the page put together:

Remembering Lauren Giddings with Two Ceremonies

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/article/193841/153/Remembering-Lauren-Giddings-with-Two-Ceremonies

I hope if any of our posters attend the public memorial (or the private one, for that matter), they'll report in.

tomkat, find myself wondering if you might make the concert and bench dedication tonight...

Sorry, I'm out of State, just checking in to see how it went.

I thought it would be just an ordinary park bench, but it's not. It's gorgeous!

Beautiful. Feminine. Made of steel. Awesome!

I thought it would be just an ordinary park bench, but it's not. It's gorgeous!

Beautiful. Feminine. Made of steel. Awesome!

bbm: That's what I had been envisioning, too, bessie -- but...WOW! (I do hope it's in a spot that gets some shade, though -- 'cause I bet all that metal will heat up fast in the sun! Hmmm...though that might be nice in the fall and winter...)

Here's the direct link to the gallery of photos now with the macon.com article I first posted -- don't think they had all the photos up at that time.

http://www.macon.com/2012/08/26/2150134/lauren-giddings-ceremonies.html

Thanks for all the updates on tge bench and memorial, BW. I'm grateful her family is getting support from the community.

So what about McD? No news at all? I wish Agent Frank would sign in with an update. I know it's going to be quite awhile before a trial commences, but it would be nice to know if there is e some movement in the case.

The photo of Lauren's mother tenderly placing flowers on the bench is heartbreaking to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966