GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, is the a so-called "good ole boys system" working it here?
Worst of all, that these Mercer Alumni would want to defend one of their own who possibly murdered and dismembered one of their own.....(!) I'm not thinking too highly of Mercer right this minute if this is how it works. I suppose someone has to defend him but my gosh, where are people's loyalties? I feel as tho they've all turned on LG, and for what reason other than claim to fame?? I guess many are that way in this career field possibly

The whole situation kind of boggles the mind, I know, tomkat. But I think about Lauren -- who loved the law she studied, it is reported; who apparently planned a career in defense work ... and had a strong interest in capital defense work. Of course, there is no way (thank heaven) she could have foreseen this situation.

I truly don't see these defense attorneys as being motivated mainly by "claim to fame" reasons. It's their job -- from a lofty "law" standpoint -- and, of course, also a practical one (it's how they make a living).

My original point about Mercer really was more that, as far as coverage from the Telegraph is concerned, I expect it to be more subdued than it might have been had the new alliance between Mercer and the Telegraph not occurred...with all the Mercer connections, I think there will be subtle (or not) influence to damper it.*

I don't think, however, the Mercer alums in adversarial (and other) roles in the courtroom need lead to a miscarriage of justice.

*ETA: Now what would be really brave of the Telegraph/Mercer -- and would prove me wrong -- would be for the paper to do a story focusing, in part, on all these Mercer connections!!

If a new DA is elected in November, which I truly hope happens, could a new one change the charges or take the death penalty off the table? Do ya'll think it could happen? Do ya'll think it would affect the chances of SM being convicted if the death penalty were dropped? Just trying to keep the thread current.

pearl, I'm thinking that since the indictment was by grand jury, a new DA would probably have no more and no less power to change the charges than the current one has -- but I'm not sure exactly what degree of power that would be or what such a process would involve, in either case.

Also, not sure what I think about what effect the death penalty being taken off the table would have. It is an interesting question, though.

Couldn't agree with you more!!

This wait is unbearable, can't imagine what it's like for Lauren's family and friends!!

Knox and pearl: Why do you feel that a special prosecutor is needed? :waitasec:

Knox and pearl: Why do you feel that a special prosecutor is needed? :waitasec:

Lauren attended Mercer as did SM. All the other major players in the upcoming trial also attended Mercer. The potential jury pool has a good chance of containing Mercer alumni. Some of the witnesses, both prosecution and defense, will probably have Mercer ties. I'm not saying I think there will not be a fair trial due to the Mercer connnection at all. I want the victim and the accused to be diligently represented in court. SM has chosen his defense attorney from within the Macon bar as is his right. A good decision from what I can surmise from reading about Hogue. I haven't found much info about Buford but since SM chose him first, he must also be good. The district attorney is on the case because he is just that. I haven't researched him. Although what I have seen happen in this case does not impress me. I think the trial should be moved out of Bibb County because I want the verdict to be clear without people claiming there was bias for either side. Since SM chose his lawyers, he can not be made to change them as he shouldn't be. Replacing the district attorney with a prosecutor from somewhere else would give the case a, in my opinion only, balance. I don't think I have ever heard of a case with so many major participants coming from such a close-knit group. You are probably right in that the charges cannot be changed due to the grand jury indictment. I think that maybe if the death penalty is dropped, a plea bargain could be offered whereby Lauren's remains could be recovered and returned to her family. That could only happen if SM is truly guilty which we do not know at this point.

If a new DA is elected in November, which I truly hope happens, could a new one change the charges or take the death penalty off the table? Do ya'll think it could happen? Do ya'll think it would affect the chances of SM being convicted if the death penalty were dropped? Just trying to keep the thread current.

The DA can take the death penalty off the table, Winters did that in at least two cases this year. The Grand Jury signs off on the murder indictment thing, and then the DA decides whether or not to pursue it as a death penalty case. I personally think it would up the chances of a conviction if the jury is on the fence.

My opinion is that the trial (whenever it happens) should be moved out of Bibb County and a special prosecutor assigned.

I don't see that happening. First of all this is NOT the only case where Mercer grads are on both sides, I would bet MOST of the cases that are tried in Bibb are that way!

Secondly there are political concerns here, if a special prosecutor were assigned a good portion of the public could get VERY angry, some folks already resent the fact that the story gets so much coverage when there are lots of black on black murders in Macon that don't. Special prosecutors are for the benefit of special people, if you get my meaning. Besides why would they need one? Certainly not due to corruption, maybe incompetence, but you can be sure the DA really WANTS to win the case, and in November he could easily be voted out anyway.

Thirdly I think the defense wants the trial to stay in Bibb, sure there has been a lot of coverage but I have heard that the demographics here can favor the defense. I believe it is up to the defense to ask for a change of venue and they have not done so.

So you are saying that they should all *assume* he is guilty and refuse to represent him because of that? I think most attorneys are taught that the legal system is in place to decide guilt or innocence, which is why we have trials and we don't just get a mob of folks together and lynch suspected criminals.

NO SONYA, I"m saying nothing of the sort .......

If convicted, a defendant (sp?) can appeal on the grounds of ineffectiveness of counsel. The victim doesn't get this chance.

Lauren attended Mercer as did SM. All the other major players in the upcoming trial also attended Mercer. The potential jury pool has a good chance of containing Mercer alumni. Some of the witnesses, both prosecution and defense, will probably have Mercer ties. I'm not saying I think there will not be a fair trial due to the Mercer connnection at all. I want the victim and the accused to be diligently represented in court. SM has chosen his defense attorney from within the Macon bar as is his right. A good decision from what I can surmise from reading about Hogue. I haven't found much info about Buford but since SM chose him first, he must also be good. The district attorney is on the case because he is just that. I haven't researched him. Although what I have seen happen in this case does not impress me. I think the trial should be moved out of Bibb County because I want the verdict to be clear without people claiming there was bias for either side. Since SM chose his lawyers, he can not be made to change them as he shouldn't be. Replacing the district attorney with a prosecutor from somewhere else would give the case a, in my opinion only, balance. I don't think I have ever heard of a case with so many major participants coming from such a close-knit group. You are probably right in that the charges cannot be changed due to the grand jury indictment. I think that maybe if the death penalty is dropped, a plea bargain could be offered whereby Lauren's remains could be recovered and returned to her family. That could only happen if SM is truly guilty which we do not know at this point.

bbm: When I was doing my Mercer law school "roll call" in an earlier post, I forgot all about the many witnesses that may also answer to that! You are absolutely right -- I bet many witnesses will also fall into this category. It gets to be a thicker and thicker Mercer law soup!

The DA can take the death penalty off the table, Winters did that in at least two cases this year. The Grand Jury signs off on the murder indictment thing, and then the DA decides whether or not to pursue it as a death penalty case. I personally think it would up the chances of a conviction if the jury is on the fence.

I don't see that happening. First of all this is NOT the only case where Mercer grads are on both sides, I would bet MOST of the cases that are tried in Bibb are that way!

Secondly there are political concerns here, if a special prosecutor were assigned a good portion of the public could get VERY angry, some folks already resent the fact that the story gets so much coverage when there are lots of black on black murders in Macon that don't. Special prosecutors are for the benefit of special people, if you get my meaning. Besides why would they need one? Certainly not due to corruption, maybe incompetence, but you can be sure the DA really WANTS to win the case, and in November he could easily be voted out anyway.

Thirdly I think the defense wants the trial to stay in Bibb, sure there has been a lot of coverage but I have heard that the demographics here can favor the defense. I believe it is up to the defense to ask for a change of venue and they have not done so.

bbm: Yeah, I said earlier I bet having the legal players all Mercer law grads is not too unusual in Macon; it's when you add the victim and accused -- and, as pearl has pointed out, likely a lot of witnesses -- that it gets really unusual.

Still, I guess "all from the same law school" is not all that far removed from "all from the same town" -- it is a little different, IMO, but not so much that I think the alum-preponderance alone should prevent a fair trial. Throw in other factors, now, and ... maybe.

Anger over a special prosecutor -- from a racial angle? Oh, there's those who might give that some lip service, but I think overall not. Plenty of white on white, black on white, and white on black crime that doesn't get "special" attention. This has been a "special" case from the get-go, and I think most people, any race, understand why. Some folks just like to complain about everything, but I think it's just a vocal few.

But I, too, was interested in upon what grounds some think a special prosecutor might be needed. You mentioned corruption and incompetence as possible grounds (not saying they are applicable here), and I guess conflict of interest would be in there, too. Incompetence ... well, it looks, IMO, like some apparent blunders may have been made, but in truth I expect some usually are -- we just know more about the ones in this case because of the high profile. Also, if or how any "blunders" will end up affecting the case, who can tell, at this point.

Who makes the decision, anyhow, that a special prosecutor is needed? Sometimes, I think, it is the current prosecutor him/herself -- but who else can?

The whole situation kind of boggles the mind, I know, tomkat. But I think about Lauren -- who loved the law she studied, it is reported; who apparently planned a career in defense work ... and had a strong interest in capital defense work. Of course, there is no way (thank heaven) she could have foreseen this situation.

I truly don't see these defense attorneys as being motivated mainly by "claim to fame" reasons. It's their job -- from a lofty "law" standpoint -- and, of course, also a practical one (it's how they make a living).

My original point about Mercer really was more that, as far as coverage from the Telegraph is concerned, I expect it to be more subdued than it might have been had the new alliance between Mercer and the Telegraph not occurred...with all the Mercer connections, I think there will be subtle (or not) influence to damper it.*

I don't think, however, the Mercer alums in adversarial (and other) roles in the courtroom need lead to a miscarriage of justice.

*ETA: Now what would be really brave of the Telegraph/Mercer -- and would prove me wrong -- would be for the paper to do a story focusing, in part, on all these Mercer connections!!

Just wonder who's side their own. whether SM is guilty or innocent I think if Lauren were alive, would she want to defend the victim here or the accused? JMO, not tyring to ensue a debate, I feel the way I do and that's that.

bbm: Yeah, I said earlier I bet having the legal players all Mercer law grads is not too unusual in Macon; it's when you add the victim and accused -- and, as pearl has pointed out, likely a lot of witnesses -- that it gets really unusual.

Still, I guess "all from the same law school" is not all that far removed from "all from the same town" -- it is a little different, IMO, but not so much that I think the alum-preponderance alone should prevent a fair trial. Throw in other factors, now, and ... maybe.

Anger over a special prosecutor -- from a racial angle? Oh, there's those who might give that some lip service, but I think overall not. Plenty of white on white, black on white, and white on black crime that doesn't get "special" attention. This has been a "special" case from the get-go, and I think most people, any race, understand why. Some folks just like to complain about everything, but I think it's just a vocal few.

But I, too, was interested in upon what grounds some think a special prosecutor might be needed. You mentioned corruption and incompetence as possible grounds (not saying they are applicable here), and I guess conflict of interest would be in there, too. Incompetence ... well, it looks, IMO, like some apparent blunders may have been made, but in truth I expect some usually are -- we just know more about the ones in this case because of the high profile. Also, if or how any "blunders" will end up affecting the case, who can tell, at this point.

Who makes the decision, anyhow, that a special prosecutor is needed? Sometimes, I think, it is the current prosecutor him/herself -- but who else can?

I do, and I dont' think anyone, myself included. has suggested or even implied anything about unfair trials......

Just wonder who's side their own. whether SM is guilty or innocent I think if Lauren were alive, would she want to defend the victim here or the accused? JMO, not tyring to ensue a debate, I feel the way I do and that's that.

tomcat, I think I understand how you're feeling, but I don't think it's really a question of who's side anyone is on. I think the defense attorneys truly believe in SM's innocence. That doesn't make them against LG. They want justice for her, but also want what they believe to be justice for their client by exonerating him of the charges.

I've felt since early in the case that evidence pointed clearly to SM and while I still believe he is the MOST LIKELY culprit, the evidence may not be all that black and white. From what people have said about LG, I believe she would have represented SM had the victim been someone else.

I don't see a problem with all of the players in the case -- including the victim and accused -- being Mercer Law grads. There might be some prejudice if only the victim were a grad or only the defendant were a grad of Mercer. But, I don't think the association the victim and defendant have with the law school have any bearing in this case.

bbm: me either, tomkat. But I am glad to see some activity on Lauren's thread!

tomcat, I think I understand how you're feeling, but I don't think it's really a question of who's side anyone is on. I think the defense attorneys truly believe in SM's innocence. That doesn't make them against LG. They want justice for her, but also want what they believe to be justice for their client by exonerating him of the charges.

I've felt since early in the case that evidence pointed clearly to SM and while I still believe he is the MOST LIKELY culprit, the evidence may not be all that black and white. From what people have said about LG, I believe she would have represented SM had the victim been someone else.

I don't see a problem with all of the players in the case -- including the victim and accused -- being Mercer Law grads. There might be some prejudice if only the victim were a grad or only the defendant were a grad of Mercer. But, I don't think the association the victim and defendant have with the law school have any bearing in this case.

Though I do find it an unusual set of circumstances, I don't see it as being a problem to the case itself, either, Indy Anna.

(Really, my whole point in bringing it up was to point out that Mercer might be happier to have the media coverage a little subdued, and might be able to influence that somewhat through the new Mercer/Telegraph partnership.)

I read this thread and all the other threads everyday. Followed the case from the beginning.....until, it stopped being about Lauren. I see nothing has changed. :frown:

I read this thread and all the other threads everyday. Followed the case from the beginning.....until, it stopped being about Lauren. I see nothing has changed. :frown:

It has never seemed to me that it ever stopped being about Lauren. :waitasec:

Awaiting the next step in the trial process, it seems natural that waning media coverage, the players in the trial, etc., would be natural topics of discussion. But, to me, it is most definitely still about Lauren and always has been.

They must, but what about LG?

I do sortof feel like it's a problem, but it is what it is. I'm just offended. We dont' know he's guilty true, but I would think it woudl be something to consider before you take a case like this, I think they took it becuase the evidence is scarce and a good case for attorneys to shine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Double