GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The rules regarding conflicts are set out by the State Bar of Georgia and can be accessed via the link below. SMcD was never a "client" of the DA's office nor was he working there at the time the offenses were committed. There is no connection whatsoever that would give rise to a conflict of interest for the DA's office. The rules exist basically to protect former clients of an attorney or firm from being susequently sued by the same firm in another matter. (this is a major over-simplification of a very complex subject.) In any event, IMO this is a stall tactic on the part of SMcD's attorney to prevent the DA's office from having to play their hand just yet. He's not getting out any time soon and if Buford insisted on having the bond hearing last week, he would have forced the DA to reveal what they have against McD already, which would apparently further tarnish his reputation and chances of ever taking the bar exam in the future. Buford and McD have obviously chosen to wait this thing out rather than have that happen. I'm sure McD is hoping that the forensic evidence will turn up nothing and that he will be able to salvage something of his reputation and career. Not much chance of that if he gets charged with murder. JMO but I guess we'll see what happens on Friday.

http://gabar.org/handbook/part_iv_a...ct/rule_17_conflict_of_interest_general_rule/

Macon police Maj. Charles Stone likened the status of the probe to a poker hand.
“We’re waiting for that last card,” Stone told The Telegraph on Friday. “That last card is either gonna give us a full house or we’re gonna end up moving on to other things.”

Police had hoped that some word on the 74 pieces of evidence they have sent to FBI forensics experts in Quantico, Va., would come in Friday (July 8th).
It is now July 20th. I believe we are on to the moving on to other things stage

I am leaning towards this possibility as being the most likely at this point myself. With that being said, why then would Buford not want to force the DA into showing their cards, by forcing the bond hearing.

(snipped) CM-- "Buford and McD have obviously chosed to wait this thing out rather than have that happen. I'm sure McD is hoping that the forensic evidence will turn up nothing and that he will be able to salvage something of his reputation and career. Not much chance of that if he gets charged with murder. JMO but I guess we'll see what happens on Friday"

Isn't it highly likely that Buford has a better idea of what the results of the forensic evidence was or was not than we, the general pubic do, and if its nothing...then why not have a bond set??? I guess I just am not patient enough myself to have sat in that jail for 3 weeks now...not knowing what they do or don't have on me.

The rules regarding conflicts are set out by the State Bar of Georgia and can be accessed via the link below. SMcD was never a "client" of the DA's office nor was he working there at the time the offenses were committed. There is no connection whatsoever that would give rise to a conflict of interest for the DA's office. The rules exist basically to protect former clients of an attorney or firm from being susequently sued by the same firm in another matter. (this is a major over-simplification of a very complex subject.) In any event, IMO this is a stall tactic on the part of SMcD's attorney to prevent the DA's office from having to play their hand just yet. He's not getting out any time soon and if Buford insisted on having the bond hearing last week, he would have forced the DA to reveal what they have against McD already, which would apparently further tarnish his reputation and chances of ever taking the bar exam in the future. Buford and McD have obviously chosen to wait this thing out rather than have that happen. I'm sure McD is hoping that the forensic evidence will turn up nothing and that he will be able to salvage something of his reputation and career. Not much chance of that if he gets charged with murder. JMO but I guess we'll see what happens on Friday.

http://gabar.org/handbook/part_iv_a...ct/rule_17_conflict_of_interest_general_rule/

Thank-you, CM, for your post. The light bulb finally turned on for me, as to why on earth SM would still be sitting in jail over 2 alleged condom thefts.

I have been really puzzled over the legal advantage to the way SM has been playing this out, and now I understand.

Want to add something (even though I'm still half-asleep! hah).

Anyone I'm close to would know if an email was written by me or not, I really do believe that. I would think much of the same for other people - everyone has a certain style, usually ends with the same closings, etc. I think it would be rather easy for someone to say 'Yes, I think Lauren wrote this", or "No, this doesn't "sound" like her". I.E. - I end most every message with xoxo.

Just throwing that in there.

I am leaning towards this possibility as being the most likely at this point myself. With that being said, why then would Buford not want to force the DA into showing their cards, by forcing the bond hearing.
(snipped) CM-- "Buford and McD have obviously chosed to wait this thing out rather than have that happen. I'm sure McD is hoping that the forensic evidence will turn up nothing and that he will be able to salvage something of his reputation and career. Not much chance of that if he gets charged with murder. JMO but I guess we'll see what happens on Friday"

Isn't it highly likely that Buford has a better idea of what the results of the forensic evidence was or was not than we, the general pubic do, and if its nothing...then why not have a bond set??? I guess I just am not patient enough myself to have sat in that jail for 3 weeks now...not knowing what they do or don't have on me.

I think you are most likely right - that Buford may have some indication of what the evidence will show and that's why he's not pushing it. I certainly don't think its an indication that LE has nothing. If anything, I think it shows the opposite. Buford probably knows that pushing for the court to set a bond would be futile.

I wonder who had the idea to check Lauren's computer?

I wonder who actually touched the keyboard on the computer, and pulled up the email? Did it take them a while to navigate her system?

Want to add something (even though I'm still half-asleep! hah).

Anyone I'm close to would know if an email was written by me or not, I really do believe that. I would think much of the same for other people - everyone has a certain style, usually ends with the same closings, etc. I think it would be rather easy for someone to say 'Yes, I think Lauren wrote this", or "No, this doesn't "sound" like her". I.E. - I end most every message with xoxo.

Just throwing that in there.

Agreed and one point that I don't think has been brought up yet is that Lauren was working for the public defender's office in Macon and was hoping to work in the same field - indigent defense, once she moved to Atlanta. She most likely would not have ever used the phrase "Macon hoodlums". That is a term more likely used by someone working, say as an intern in the DA's office.

How long does it normally take for the FBI to analyze this amount of evidence? Could the results be held up by the additional evidence submitted after the searches of the apartments on the 12th? And when the results are returned how much of it, if any, would LE make public? Are there any long term WS members (or anyone else) here that have followed other cases that could provide some kind of comparison?

Agreed and one point that I don't think has been brought up yet is that Lauren was working for the public defender's office in Macon and was hoping to work in the same field - indigent defense, once she moved to Atlanta. She most likely would not have ever used the phrase "Macon hoodlums". That is a term more likely used by someone working, say as an intern in the DA's office.

That's a good point Colonel. The use of "Macon hoodlums" was covered briefly back in thread #1.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6885402&highlight=hoodlum#post6885402
One poster thought that phrase was fairly common
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6885353&postcount=360
Others thought "****s" would be more common
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6885402&postcount=361
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6885537&postcount=363

:great:

Hilarious Col Mustard!!! Hilarious!!

I wonder who had the idea to check Lauren's computer?

I wonder who actually touched the keyboard on the computer, and pulled up the email? Did it take them a while to navigate her system?

I don't think they said. But, I know on my personal laptop, all you have to do is open it and everything is up and running. I only use the 'sleep' mode most of the time. They don't even have to push any buttons and everything I was looking at pops up. I don't share the computer, so it is no big deal for me. And in her house, she may have done the same.

Sidenote: As to the "hoodlum" comments. I know I have heard it used by my daughter and her roommates since moving to Macon and attending Mercer. It is not something she used prior, but it does seem to be a common phrase for the community, if only the school community. I think the word itself is a non-issue. It is the rest of the email that matters.

As to the "hoodlum" comments. I know I have heard it used by my daughter and her roommates since moving to Macon and attending Mercer. It is not something she used prior, but it does seem to be a common phrase for the community, if only the school community. I think the word itself is a non-issue. It is the rest of the email that matters.

I was born and raised in Macon and still live here. I use the term all the time and I'm way over college-aged. ;)

Consider me dense, but I still fail to see how McD satying in jail is a good "strategy" for Floyd Buford. Floyd was quoted saying Stephen wanted to be out, needs to be studying for the bar exam , wants to be with his family. I guess maybe Bibb LEC is a good place to study for the bar exam. :great:

If Buford does not request a bond hearing, McD can be held up to 90 days on the burglary charges. At that time the DA must present evidence resulting in an indictment or McD goes free.
IMO, McD sitting in jail speaks volumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Buford does not request a bond hearing, McD can be held up to 90 days on the burglary charges. At that time the DA must present evidence resulting in an indictment or McD goes free.
IMO, McD sitting in jail speaks volumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indictment on burglary you mean, not murder ?

How long does it normally take for the FBI to analyze this amount of evidence? Could the results be held up by the additional evidence submitted after the searches of the apartments on the 12th? And when the results are returned how much of it, if any, would LE make public? Are there any long term WS members (or anyone else) here that have followed other cases that could provide some kind of comparison?

Well, I will step-up and answer this from my experience following cases at WS.

LE will release whatever it wants, whenever it wants, and will generally not cave to public sentiment on this issue. They strategically use the media (in most cases), and sometimes it makes a big difference in the outcome.

I do feel that the general public in the area of LG's murder are holding their tongue (and breath) on the issue, as they feel that LE simply MUST have the perp behind bars (albeit for another reason).

If SM is not their man, then, LE is in for a MAJOR public backlash, and they know it.

I, like other seasoned posters here, fear that SM is NOT their man, and there is a murderer out there on the loose. That being said, the small amount of seemingly circumstantial evidence and events that have happened involving SM (that we KNOW of), certainly "seem" to indicate LE has their man.

But, especially in a case of dismemberment, if LE has the crime scene, there would be ample forensic evidence to prove SM the murderer. The fact that there has been no arrest yet is DEFINITELY worrisome.

HTH

Well, I will step-up and answer this from my experience following cases at WS.

LE will release whatever it wants, whenever it wants, and will generally not cave to public sentiment on this issue. They strategically use the media (in most cases), and sometimes it makes a big difference in the outcome.

I do feel that the general public in the area of LG's murder are holding their tongue (and breath) on the issue, as they feel that LE simply MUST have the perp behind bars (albeit for another reason).

If SM is not their man, then, LE is in for a MAJOR public backlash, and they know it.

I, like other seasoned posters here, fear that SM is NOT their man, and there is a murderer out there on the loose. That being said, the small amount of seemingly circumstantial evidence and events that have happened involving SM (that we KNOW of), certainly "seem" to indicate LE has their man.

But, especially in a case of dismemberment, if LE has the crime scene, there would be ample forensic evidence to prove SM the murderer. The fact that there has been no arrest yet is DEFINITELY worrisome.

HTH

Great legal information for us non-lawyers. Thank you.
Please let me know if this is correct:

LE can keep McD incarcerated for 90 days on the burglary charge.

LE is required to disclose evidence in Lauren's case if a bond is posted by Buford. ( if there is evidence)

Therefore, Buford does not apply for a bond hearing since Buford does not want LE to disclose any possible evidence against McD.

Buford and McD are sitting it out hoping no evidence is found by the FBI against McD in Lauren's case.

AND since McD is already behind bars, then LE knows they have the 90 days and can take their time attempting to secure solid evidence.

Hence, no hurry for LE to make an arrest.
No hurry for LE to disclose any information on any evidence.
McD and Buford are waiting it out.

Is this the correct situation?

And what also stands out to me is the terminology in the email, purportedly sent by Lauren, when it refers to : "MACON HOODLUMS". I could totally be wrong, but I don't think a female attorney who obviously believes in representation for those accused of crimes, would be referring to them in that derrogatory language. I think she would just say "someone has broken in" or maybe say "one of the locals has broken in" and from what I have read and learned about Lauren, I believe she would use more slang terminology in her everyday emails. I feel like HOODLUM is a word my Dad, who grew up in the 40's, would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
everyoneblooms