GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A bunch of things on their FB pages have been removed since this whole thing started.

Lauren's page hasn't changed. Same exact photos from when she uploaded them. The BF has now restricted access to his page (understandably). Prior to this restriction, he only had 1 photo of them together on there (which is now his profile picture but wasn't until after her death).

I don't think we can know their degree of seriousness for sure. They just don't appear to have been that serious based on the only evidence of their interaction that we can see.

I know it makes it more dramatic to ascribe a huge relationship but honestly I think that is a distraction to this (especially with every couple of days on here someone new points their finger to the innocent, out of state boyfriend).

Giddings’ torso was found in a trash bin June 30, wrapped in plastic

Thanks Knoxy(I too agree with TruthfulLies in liking the added y to your name..lol)for the great find.. So finally some clarity that the torso was indeed in a trash bin and now know the "material" that the torso was wrapped in was actually wrapped in plastic..

And I must comment on the WoW! Of a coincidence in this latest info about LE poring over receipts from what McD purchased from the local Macon walmart near the time of Lauren's death.. The WoW factor being so eerily similar to what and how murderer(as well as dismembered his victims) Matthew Hoffman was tied to the murders and dismemberment of the Maynard family&neighbor.. This was the EXACT WAY that Hoffman was found/located(rescuing young Sarah Maynard from 4days of being raped In Hoffman's basement).. LE was able to tie Hoffman to the murder/dismemberment by what was found by poring over receipts showing "materials" that had been purchased from the local Walmart for the purpose to assist in dismembering and to wrap the bodies in..

Just hit me as a very eerie coincidence especially given the fact that they are both dismemberment cases(which in and of itself is unusual and not the "norm")..

I would love to know what items were found to have been purchased at that time from the local Macon Walmart by McD? Wonder if anything plastic that could be used to "wrap" the torso in??..

[link to snipped quote regarding torso found in trash bin:http://www.macon.com/2011/07/19/1635696/police-looking-at-purchases-mcdaniel.html#ixzz1SWXX2bPc]

Walmart again??? Do people not know they have cameras everywhere by now? Doug Steward, the killer in Ohio and countless others...the man who took Brittany Smith...all made those trips to Walmart.

I am NOT saying that this POI is guilty...just amazed if it turns out he is and he bought his supplies at Walmart...

Lauren's page hasn't changed. Same exact photos from when she uploaded them. The BF has now restricted access to his page (understandably). Prior to this restriction, he only had 1 photo of them together on there (which is now his profile picture but wasn't until after her death).

I don't think we can know their degree of seriousness for sure. They just don't appear to have been that serious based on the only evidence of their interaction that we can see.

I know it makes it more dramatic to ascribe a huge relationship but honestly I think that is a distraction to this (especially with every couple of days on here someone new points their finger to the innocent, out of state boyfriend).

We haven't a clue as to what their relationship was nor should we IMO.. It matters not and is irrelevant and serves as nothing more than a distraction(just as u pointed out as well)..

^above^ BBM.. Sad but true.. And might I point out that the last 4 words ^above^ BBM in your post is TRUTHFULLY ALL THAT WE NEED TO KNOW PERTAINING TO THIS MAN.. period..
"out of state boyfriend"

I think the seriousness of their relationship is relevant, but only in that it may provide a motive for LG's murder. Not that I think the BF is guilty of anything, but did the killer premeditate LG's murder because he was so insanely jealous and frustrated knowing he could never have her? That, IMO, would be a much different scenario than if the killer didn't realize LG was in a serious relationship and thought there might be a chance of a romance between her and himself. In the latter scenario, the killer may have not premeditated the murder but felt desperate knowing that he and LG may never see each other again, so that he may have become more and more passionate in expressing his feelings toward her, which then got out of control and, as I stated before, she may have fell and hit her head (he had plenty of time to tidy up the scene). In which case, the dismemberment may have been done in an effort to dispose of the body and conceal his involvement rather than during a psychotic episode.

In the latter scenario, I also believe it's more likely he had an accomplice to help him dismember and dispose of the body. SM had the opportunity, the means (machetes and knives) and possibly a motive for committing the crime, but did he have the know-how to dismember the body? Maybe, if he is a hunter, but I asked that question earlier and no one has been able to confirm that he is a hunter. Are there any other potential POI's who fulfill all of the criteria (opportunity, motive, means and know-how)?

Yes, I want to thank you guys(Colonel Mustard{love your new avi}..and Lawette32) as well for your answering or explaining some of our laymen questions about certain aspects thus far regarding the legal system..

Just a couple of more inquiries.. As far as possible motives for this office wanting to keep jurisdiction over this case with 2 felony burglary charges against McD.. Definitely makes sense that they may feel that McD's interning with the DA's office was in such a vein totally removed from what and where the actual prosecuting Attys work and are involved.. So due to McD's internship being such a small role and in no way in contact with prosecuting attys.. When looked at it from that view one could better understand why they feel they should be the office to carry out prosecuting McD's felony burglary charges.. As does another reason mentioned in that they possibly would like to receive the kudos from their community after successfully prosecuting this high profile case.. So, after reading several of the possible reasons or motives it doesn't seem to be quite as strange or odd for this office to attempt to keep jurisdiction over McD's present 2 felony burglary charges..

Along those same lines I wanted to ask you all's opinion of what was mentioned upthread as a possible motive for why they are fighting to keep their office in charge of prosecuting McD's 2 felony burglary charges.. Could this have something to do with a future murder charge against McD from this same DA's office??.. As was mentioned in a post upthread that possibly if Bibb Co. recused itself/was recused from McD's burglary charges due to his having interned in the DA's office.. Could that in some way negatively impact Bibb Co. in seeking murder charges against McD once the evidence and it's results are all in and indicate that McD is the perp??

That makes zero sense to me.. I find it very difficult to believe for a minute that because a criminal/perp has completed an internship for the county DA's office that is the same county within which he commits this heinous crime of murder.. Due to that internship it would cause difficulty in successfully bringing murder charges against the individual..

Is this infact a possibility?? That Bibb Co will have an issue bringing murder charges if the evidence indicates that indeed McD is Lauren's murderer?????
No, Smooth, it would not interfere with bringing charges against him (through an indictment or information). It means only that the Bibb County DA's office might not oversee the prosecution.

I've speculated that the DA is contesting the charges to buy time while waiting for all of the evidence to be put together in the murder case. I still believe that is at least partially true. But there's a bigger issue at hand that both McD's lawyer and the district attorney want to resolve now. That issue is whether or not the Bibb County DA's office would be elgible to handle the prosecution in the event McD is later charged with murder. Considering the grave nature of the crime, I don't blame Winters one bit for refusing to step down and allow an outsider come in and do his job.

I really think this week is going to make or break this case. There has been more than plenty of time for the FBI to process forensics. At this point, they know if McD is tied to the crime or not. With his hearing approaching Friday, I feel like they are either going to charge him or create another reason to keep him jailed for the condom thefts. If there is another "stall tactic" then we will know that the evidence is not conclusive.

I truly hope that this week brings answers to some of the looming questions in this case. I'm sure Lauren's family needs that now.

It has become quite apparent from how LE has handled this case that SM, even if not named a "suspect" at this point, seems to be their perp.

I mean holding him for condom theft, seriously, that is simply a process to buy time as they mount the evidence against him in this case.

They are not going to reveal to the media or to the general public all the evidence they have discovered at this point and they most certainly will eventually have more definitive answers once the forensics come back.

However, clearly they are concentrated on SM and if revisiting his apartment for forensic purposes were not enough, critical analysis of receipts and purchases from Walmart which correspond to the crime in question should tell us much concerning their trajectory of thinking!

We do not necessarily need the author Thomas Harris to inform us what we all unfortunately already know from engaging so many of these horrific crimes by disparate psychotic killers, that in most cases these predators "covet what they see" and it is this same contextual proximity that may ring true here yet again.

Walmart again??? Do people not know they have cameras everywhere by now? Doug Steward, the killer in Ohio and countless others...the man who took Brittany Smith...all made those trips to Walmart.

I am NOT saying that this POI is guilty...just amazed if it turns out he is and he bought his supplies at Walmart...

I think the MPD is doing a slow leak of what they know , just so we won't think they are sitting around. If he bought a lot of plastic sheeting and a chainsaw, hmmm......

I just think it woudl be wise for the DA not to do anything to prejudice a jury against him conflict or not , if McD worked there, a conflict to me . I was struck off a jury once because I personally knew one of the lawyers

It has become quite apparent from how LE has handled this case that SM, even if not named a "suspect" at this point, seems to be their perp.

I mean holding him for condom theft, seriously, that is simply a process to buy time as they mount the evidence against him in this case.
They are not going to reveal to the media or to the general public all the evidence they have discovered at this point and they most certainly will eventually have more definitive answers once the forensics come back.

However, clearly they are concentrated on SM and if revisiting his apartment for forensic purposes were not enough, critical analysis of receipts and purchases from Walmart which correspond to the crime in question should tell us much concerning their trajectory of thinking!

We do not necessarily need the author Thomas Harris to inform us what we all unfortunately already know from engaging so many of these horrific crimes by disparate psychotic killers, that in most cases these predators "covet what they see" and it is this same contextual proximity that may ring true here yet again.

Technically, he is not really being "held" for the condom thefts. His own defense counsel has to request a bond in these cases in order to bond him out, and he hasn't. His attorney voluntarily cancelled McD's scheduled bond hearing in order to make the conflict motion.

Even with McD's legal background, I find it odd that he voluntarily gave up his bond hearing last week. You'd think he would just want to bond out of there at all costs, but it looks like he must agree with whatever strategic purposes his lawyer has for choosing to file the conflict motion now, even if meant a much later bond hearing.

Of course, with the latest Wal-Mart news (and I've heard some pretty salacious rumors about what those purchases were), I find it unlikely he will be issued a bond at all in the near future.

Of course, with the latest Wal-Mart news (and I've heard some pretty salacious rumors about what those purchases were), I find it unlikely he will be issued a bond at all in the near future.

I think the key to that is the "salacious rumors about what those purchases were". It's pretty shocking and tasteless---what goes on in the comment boards of macon.com. Truly, the things that people are saying are no better, and until they are substantiated by LE, it seems unfair to feed the fire.

IMO, it does no good to be an apologist for ANYONE out there who may or may not be the perpetrator of this gruesome crime---and, quite frankly, we don't know who it is. At the same time, I don't think it's out of the ordinary for people to cast doubt or ask questions about other people surrounding Lauren. It's only natural, and I would personally hope that in the event of my untimely demise, people would examine all potential leads no matter how silly they might seem, to find the truth.

Make no mistake---this is not targeted at you Lawette. You wrote a great post. I just felt like it needed to be said given the back and forth nature of some prior posts about people and things in question.

midstatemind....I agree the macon.com reader comments are crazy....thats why I am reading here....

I think the key to that is the "salacious rumors about what those purchases were". It's pretty shocking and tasteless---what goes on in the comment boards of macon.com. Truly, the things that people are saying are no better, and until they are substantiated by LE, it seems unfair to feed the fire.

IMO, it does no good to be an apologist for ANYONE out there who may or may not be the perpetrator of this gruesome crime---and, quite frankly, we don't know who it is. At the same time, I don't think it's out of the ordinary for people to cast doubt or ask questions about other people surrounding Lauren. It's only natural, and I would personally hope that in the event of my untimely demise, people would examine all potential leads no matter how silly they might seem, to find the truth.

Make no mistake---this is not targeted at you Lawette. You wrote a great post. I just felt like it needed to be said given the back and forth nature of some prior posts about people and things in question.

I called them salacious rumors because they have not been validated in the news yet. Believe me, I put no stock in anything I read in the commentary on Macon.com. Everything I have read thus far in the news, I have learned from reliable sources prior to it becoming news. For that reason, I personally put stock in what I have been told those particular items are-- but also is why I made it clear that it's still being considered a rumor.

Also, from what has been substantiated in the news, it seems rather clear that it wasn't just a Snickers bar purchase that they would be scrutinizing, but again, just my opinion.

However, I also understand your point about the need to not circulate what has not been validated yet, which is why I wouldn't comment on the actual items until it has been validated by the news.

"Detectives have scrutinized purchases of items McDaniel made at a Macon Wal-Mart store around the time of Giddings’ death, but according to a law enforcement source familiar with the investigation, it isn’t clear whether the items McDaniel bought have any bearing on the Giddings probe."
Seems like the Macon paper would have worded this differently to me if any of the "salacious" rumors are true

In other cases, I've found that the "comments" section of local papers often contain at least one or two "truths". The hard part is trying to figure out which ones...

"Detectives have scrutinized purchases of items McDaniel made at a Macon Wal-Mart store around the time of Giddings’ death, but according to a law enforcement source familiar with the investigation, it isn’t clear whether the items McDaniel bought have any bearing on the Giddings probe."
Seems like the Macon paper would have worded this differently to me if any of the "salacious" rumors are true

That could be true. It also could be true that the writer inserts "it's not clear" when the actual answer was "no comment."

I don't see how being an intern would create a conflict. He probably worked there less than 20 hours per week, and probably for just a few months due to his law school class and study schedule. Plus, if I was Winters, I would definitely want to prosecute this case that basically happened in his own backyard.

This trial will not be held in Bibb County. Any defense attorney, whether smart or not, will move for a change of venue. And since this crime is so horrendous and everyone in Macon knows about it, the judge might grant such a motion.

This is my first time posting here, but have been following this forum for a while, particularly as it pertains to Lauren G. My friend actually set this account up for me (because I was experiencing technical difficulty) and dubbed me "Supermom1995". I feel compelled to say I am by no means a supermom, only a mom who loves her daughter and tries really hard.

All that said, does anyone know how Neighbor MCD knew the email, sent from Lauren's computer, was to someone in Atlanta? Was Atlanta a part of the email address? or mentioned in the body of the message?

Regarding the Walmart purchases, I remember reading VERY early on in this case a few particularly interesting articles were purchased. Items which could have been of interest in this case, but the article stated LE had decided the purchases had no value since those exact items were found intact and unused in SM's apartment. They were items he had purchased for some upcoming event. Seems like they mentioned a camping trip. I did not save the article because it did not appear to hold anything of relevance. If anyone else happens to run across that article, please share it. I will try to locate it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happy.af.wtf