GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
After the murder, he may have taken her keys and had a copy made.
There may be a surveillance video of this somewhere,
or someone may remember making it for him.

As for master key duplication, this will depend on the lock.
More than likely, he could have purchased/obtained a master blank for those locks.
I can think of several ways he could have gone about this,
but the best scenario I can come up with would be to simply
ask the MM to borrow the key real quick to go unlock your door.
Press it into some silly-putty to get the pattern. Return the key.
Then, just file the master blank yourself.
Sure, he could've had a copy made. But why? He didn't need one if he had a master key. Backwoods suggested maybe he wanted to keep one as a trophy, and I suppose that's possible. Based on what we know right now, I like Backwoods' other suggestion that LG might have unwittingly given him one at some point in the past for practical reasons, like to water her plants or feed the pup.

Sure, he could've had a copy made. But why? He didn't need one if he had a master key. Backwoods suggested maybe he wanted to keep one as a trophy, and I suppose that's possible. Based on what we know right now, I like Backwoods' other suggestion that LG might have unwittingly given him one at some point in the past for practical reasons, like to water her plants or feed the pup.

To possibly plant as evidence in an attempt to frame someone else.
We had theorized this may have been part of his "plan".

The Wal Mart issue came up several weeks back when it was reported that LE had gone thru MCDaniel's recent Wal Mart purchases from the store there in Macon.. No one, to my knowledge knows what those items were but wonder if they mave have been items such as tools to dismember and products used for the clean up were a few of the ideas we thought of..

Now in seeing the arrest warrant that there has been found a particular brand hacksaw with Lauren Giddings DNA on the blade and the packaging for that identical type saw was found in SM's apt.. Thus further fueling the "scuttle butt" of could it have been one of the Wal Mart purchases..

HTH! :)

That is what I am hoping, with Doug Stewart in mind...

And no one heard anything?
Oh lord. Sounds like he may have waited inside for her to go to bed, then strangled her.
No one was around except the neighbor and her son who live downstairs in the opposite corner of the building, beneath McD's apartment. If they're sound sleepers, and/or sleep with the TV on, it's possible they didn't notice any noise. The neighbor said she would sometimes hear him yelling at the computer and stomping around. If she did hear something, it probably didn't seem unusual. Now, if she heard a woman scream, that would be different. So I'm wondering if he taped her mouth. Ugh.

I'm also wondering where the scratches were on his torso. Back? Front? Side? Not sure I want to go there tonight.

To possibly plant as evidence in an attempt to frame someone else.
We had theorized this may have been part of his "plan".
Gotcha. I missed that part of the discussion. You think he was going to plant it on the maintenance guy? When?

Looks like the national media is starting to pick up and follow the details coming out. The story on this FoxNews (not my usual media choice, BTW!!) page looks like may be out on Associated Press via The Telegraph, so no wonder that earlier Telegraph article we were looking at was crowing a little and recounting earlier "scoops".

link: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/04/warrant-hacksaw-found-at-slain-law-grads-complex/

Crime & Courts

Warrant: Hacksaw found at slain law grad's complex

"MACON, Ga. – Authorities in Georgia say a hacksaw has been recovered at the Macon apartment complex where a recent law school graduate was found slain and dismembered and where both she and the classmate accused of killing her lived."

No one was around except the neighbor and her son who live downstairs in the opposite corner of the building, beneath McD's apartment. If they're sound sleepers, and/or sleep with the TV on, it's possible they didn't notice any noise. The neighbor said she would sometimes hear him yelling at the computer and stomping around. If she did hear something, it probably didn't seem unusual. Now, if she heard a woman scream, that would be different. So I'm wondering if he taped her mouth. Ugh.

I'm also wondering where the scratches were on his torso. Back? Front? Side? Not sure I want to go there tonight.
Well, I'm thinking a quick strangulation or suffocation while sleeping
because she would have been stronger than him,
so I doubt he could subdue her any other way.
With this, you could expect there to only be scratches on his sides.

Gotcha. I missed that part of the discussion. You think he was going to plant it on the maintenance guy? When?
I don't know :)
Of course, he could have just as easily made a copy long ago from her outside spare.

Also, I find it interesting that the police would identify that hacksaw in a storage closet as possible evidence.
As much as he cleaned up, he must have left some visible blood on the saw so it would be seen.
So, for now, it is certainly looking like framing the MM could have been his intention.

Oh... another thought.
He may have intended to keep the copy of Lauren's key, then plant his duplicate master.

Yes charges can be changed, as in upgraded to higher degree or charge.. But it cannot be a charge that in any way contradicts the original charge.. That is how colonel mustard described it I believe.. Saying that yes, they could start withbcharge of felony murder and then as the other evidence came to light that would prove there was premeditation that the charge could be upgraded..

That was my post earlier. The problem is, it isn't really an "upgrade" to malice murder from felony murder. The charges carry the same punishment (for the triggerman) in Georgia, and felony murder is not a lesser included offense to malice murder.

What is different between the two charges is the underlying elements of the crimes involved. For a probable cause affidavit for felony murder, you are going to have to show to a judge facts that are sufficient to show probable cause that a separate felony had been committed, and also that it was because of and in the course of that felony that the death occurred.

And as the arrest warrant stands now, there is nothing in it that gives probable cause that McD committed any other felony, or that Lauren died during the course of it. It's just not there. Having a master key to the apartment complex is suspicious, but almost certainly falls below the threshold of reasonable doubt to believe that McD committed some specific felony crime. And it is definitely short of proving that Lauren died during the course of the felony, when there is no clue given as to what/when/where that felony was, or how McD killed her during the course of it.

It could very well be that the LE/DA are trying to play both sides of the fence here, and that they are being deliberately ambiguous about what McD has actually been arrested for. But that's a dangerous game, and it can't last for long. It is impossible to sustain a conviction for both malice and felony murder with the death of a single victim. And when the indictment comes out, the DA will have to make a final decision about what charges it wants to pursue, as shown in Wagner v. State, 282 Ga. 149, 646 S.E.2d 676 (2007) -- which holds that an indictment failing to differentiate between malice and felony murder is fatally defective. (Note that this does not preclude bringing both charges in the alternative. But it does require specification as to which is charged.)

Could they still be waiting for more DNA (i.e. possible rape) to decide final charges? The master key is probably not helping, in that there would not be signs of forced entry if he used it, so it would make it hard to say he killed her during a home invasion, yet hard to prove he did use the key as well. What other felonies could apply? Kidnapping, if he held her hostage in her apartment, but again, how could that be proven? Just thinking aloud...

That was my post earlier. The problem is, it isn't really an "upgrade" to malice murder from felony murder. The charges carry the same punishment (for the triggerman) in Georgia, and felony murder is not a lesser included offense to malice murder.

What is different between the two charges is the underlying elements of the crimes involved. For a probable cause affidavit for felony murder, you are going to have to show to a judge facts that are sufficient to show probable cause that a separate felony had been committed, and also that it was because of and in the course of that felony that the death occurred.

And as the arrest warrant stands now, there is nothing in it that gives probable cause that McD committed any other felony, or that Lauren died during the course of it. It's just not there. Having a master key to the apartment complex is suspicious, but almost certainly falls below the threshold of reasonable doubt to believe that McD committed some specific felony crime. And it is definitely short of proving that Lauren died during the course of the felony, when there is no clue given as to what/when/where that felony was, or how McD killed her during the course of it.

It could very well be that the LE/DA are trying to play both sides of the fence here, and that they are being deliberately ambiguous about what McD has actually been arrested for. But that's a dangerous game, and it can't last for long. It is impossible to sustain a conviction for both malice and felony murder with the death of a single victim. And when the indictment comes out, the DA will have to make a final decision about what charges it wants to pursue, as shown in Wagner v. State, 282 Ga. 149, 646 S.E.2d 676 (2007) -- which holds that an indictment failing to differentiate between malice and felony murder is fatally defective. (Note that this does not preclude bringing both charges in the alternative. But it does require specification as to which is charged.)
But, what we're seeing now was just what they gave to get that warrant.
They can bring up more at the commitment hearing, correct?
So, it may just be they didn't want to reveal anymore than they had to to get the initial warrant.

And no one heard anything?
Oh lord. Sounds like he may have waited inside for her to go to bed, then strangled her.

It has struck me as a little strange that there has not been much theorizing here suggesting that the perp may have drugged Lauren.

It has struck me as a little strange that there has not been much theorizing here suggesting that the perp may have drugged Lauren.
How do you think he would've done it?

Maybe they documented the marks with photographs a couple of weeks ago and as you say, they could come back and remove the tub.

DNA results coming back from the Hacksaw may have also played a role.

We've been told that Gidding's dna was on the hacksaw.

Was McDaniel's dna also on the saw?

And...
Where is the crime scene?

They we're that social with each other, so I can see where this would have been difficult.
Possible, I'm sure, since he had access to her apt. But, my gut says not likely.

Drugging crossed my mind as a possible way to subdue her though I am not sure how he would get her to drink something or eat something. Like, I am assuming it would be strange if he knocked with cookies or something?

I think it would have been fairly easy to subdue her if she was taken off-guard though. If he injured her quickly when she wasn't expecting it it would not be difficult to overpower her.

Could they still be waiting for more DNA (i.e. possible rape) to decide final charges? The master key is probably not helping, in that there would not be signs of forced entry if he used it, so it would make it hard to say he killed her during a home invasion, yet hard to prove he did use the key as well. What other felonies could apply? Kidnapping, if he held her hostage in her apartment, but again, how could that be proven? Just thinking aloud...

Isn't aggravated assault also a possibility? Anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisy24