GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do Glenda and Stephen McDaniel know that the hacksaw LE found is actually Stephen's, anyway???

Well, the article says Stephen admits buying the hacksaw. That's one of the most incriminating things I've heard yet; otherwise, why wouldn't he have just said he had thrown his away & he didn't know whose hacksaw that was?

Are there serial numbers on hacksaws?

IMO, the only reasoning to this that makes sense at this point is that the "methods to avoid detection" that LE has said he wrote/spoke about, which seemed to be in sync with the facts in this case, included a plan to frame someone else. That or spread clues around in such a way as to completely confuse LEs investigation efforts.

Do you mean IF the methods to avoid detection include a plan to frame . . . ?
or THAT the methods DO include a plan to frame?

I have not read any description of what the police called "methods to avoid detection" in the arrest warrant. Do you have information about what the methods to avoid were in SMD's "comments" cited in the warrant?

Or . . . is that your guess as to how the hacksaw in the maintenance closet might make sense?

I think his disgust for alpha women might have compounded throughout the three years until he just snapped. To him, LG might have been representative of "that type" of woman. She would be a convenient woman to fixate his disdain on because she was right next door and easy to focus on as the fallwoman for the entire body of women like her.

"Glenda McDaniel said she even asked her son once whether romance was possible between him and Giddings or any other woman".

I wonder when GM asked him the question and what the frame of reference in the conversation was? It makes one think that McD talked about Lauren. It would be normal to mention a classmate and neighbor who you interacted with over the course of three years, but GM is asking about a possible relationship. It's not a big sticking point, I'm just curious.

Here are 3 LARP (Live Action Role Play) Medieval Groups operating and meeting up near Macon and Atlanta, 160 ish members between the 3 groups. There are past meet-ups posted on there too, fwiw.

http://role-playing-larp.meetup.com/cities/us/ga/macon/

ETA: With the horrible things found on the IMVU sites in Zahra Baker's dismemberment case, I might put a warning out, that there could be disturbing things on these sites. I don't know anything about them, but, keep it in mind, I am sure it is just role playing or whatever, but....... The above link just lists the 3 groups in the Macon area, fwiw.

ETA: Larplist for GA:

http://www.larplist.com/mainlist.php?op=nalist

IMO, the only reasoning to this that makes sense at this point is that the "methods to avoid detection" that LE has said he wrote/spoke about, which seemed to be in sync with the facts in this case, included a plan to frame someone else. That or spread clues around in such a way as to completely confuse LEs investigation efforts.

Well, if he was planning a perfect murder, the plan must have been to confuse. If he wanted to frame the MM, seems to me like he would've just left her dead in her apartment ALONG WITH the master key & put the saw in the storage area.

I'm assuming the saw was probably found in the maintenance storage unit of the apartments? The article I read didn't really say that.

Well, I suppose they've ruled out the maintenance guy if they didn't hold him after questioning him yesterday. I assume that also means his DNA didn't show up on her body, and I would hope they have surely searched the the apartment he (the MM) lived in. And if he's moved, that place searched also. After all, they are still looking to make Lauren whole.

I'm so confused. It's like somebody is trying to frame somebody, but I'm not sure who's the framer & who's the framee.

Do you mean IF the methods to avoid detection include a plan to frame . . . ?
or THAT the methods DO include a plan to frame?

I have not read any description of what the police called "methods to avoid detection" in the arrest warrant. Do you have information about what the methods to avoid were in SMD's "comments" cited in the warrant?

Or . . . is that your guess as to how the hacksaw in the maintenance closet might make sense?
Sorry, I'll rephrase that :)

IMO, the only reasoning to this that makes sense at this point would be if the "methods to avoid detection" (that LE has said he wrote/spoke about and seemed to be in sync with the facts in this case), included a plan to frame someone else or spread clues around in such a way as to completely confuse LEs investigation efforts.

The photos on this site describe the pain of the Giddings family, including the honorary tattoos that Lauren's sisters got on their feet when they found out the news regarding their beloved sister.

Md. family’s journey into heartache
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...to-heartache/2011/08/05/gIQAj47IzI_story.html
Heartbreaking, to say the least.

And, I must say that the Giddings family and Lauren's friends have shown
an amazing amount of respect, self-control and class throughout this ordeal.
My heart truly goes out to them.

“She would be friends with anyone,” Supsic says. And here was a virtue that might have contributed to her death: Lauren had uncommon empathy for the underdog, for the socially alienated and maladroit. “People who maybe others made fun of in school, Lauren would be friends with them,” Supsic says. “And not necessarily because she felt sorry for them, but because she saw the good in every person.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...-heartache/2011/08/05/gIQAj47IzI_story_2.html

One of Lauren’s sisters, Kaitlyn Giddings Wheeler, recalls: “If anyone would joke around about him, say something about him being dangerous, then Lauren would nicely tell them, ‘Well, if he’s dangerous, I’ll be the only one who’s safe.’ Because they did get along, and she was very nice to him. She really did trust him.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...-heartache/2011/08/05/gIQAj47IzI_story_4.html
Graduation day was May 14. Two nights earlier, Lauren and her family celebrated at the Hummingbird Stage & Taproom in downtown Macon. The bar was packed with joyful classmates. Karen glanced up and saw McDaniel and pointed him out to Lauren.

“Oh, look, he showed up!” Karen remembers her daughter saying. Lauren had suggested that McDaniel come. “She was surprised to see him,” Karen says, “but happy.”

He was standing in a corner throwing darts. Alone.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...-heartache/2011/08/05/gIQAj47IzI_story_4.html

Certainly sounds like SM was waiting for them.

From Chicago, where she works in advertising, Supsic reported Lauren missing to Macon police late Wednesday night. An officer swung by Barristers Hall and checked Lauren’s door, which was locked. Nothing seemed amiss. Then a posse of her law school friends hurried to the apartment, retrieved a key that Lauren had hidden in a candle jar on the balcony and went inside.

Emerging from his apartment next door, McDaniel followed them in, looking distraught and perplexed, like the others.

Very interesting summary here by the cameraman (weatherman) who filmed SM that fateful day:

“I asked him if he would be willing to talk to us about what was going on,” the cameraman, Tyler Southard, recalls. “I asked him if the police had asked him not to say anything about what he saw ... and he said no.”

With McDaniel in tow, Southard walked over to the reporter he was videoing for, introduced him to her and then Southard, his right eye to the viewfinder, started shooting.

“Once I realized that he didn’t know they’d found a body, you’d see his reaction sort of change and I zoomed in a bit more on him so I could catch his facial expressions,” Southard says. “The whole time we were doing the interview, I never got a feeling something was fishy. I didn’t get a weird impression. Usually I pick up a vibe on people. ... I didn’t know what was gonna happen, so I just kept rolling on him the whole time.”

McDaniel, who wore a digital watch on his left wrist, occasionally swatted at and tried to corral his chestnut cloud of windblown locks. He seemed to know about the frantic search for his neighbor who’d gone missing five days earlier on Saturday, June 25.

He appeared concerned, a mess.

He was, as they say, good TV.

It hadn’t struck Southard as unusual that, after McDaniel was gone, a police spokeswoman came over and wanted to know what the man on the street had said.

It wasn’t until the next day, when McDaniel was jailed on unrelated burglary charges, that Southard thought, “Maybe we just interviewed a murderer.”

Glenda McDaniel says her son’s June 30 news interview was an act of kindness

I have heard this before.

In the case of disgraced Col. Russell Williams, it came out that he used to scan and remove all the little frogs from his lakeside cottage grass before he cut the lawn, and release them unharmed, away from the blades of his mower.

He is also a heinous murderer of women.

You can hear his heart breaking when he says, ‘Why would anybody do this?’ He is such a gentle person. He will not even squash a bug. He’ll catch a bug and take it outside and release it. ... Then I hear them trying to say that he’s killed and cut somebody up. Lauren was his friend.”

Lots of insight about Glenda here (here's hoping Stephen feels a similar compassion to his nephew and reveals where Lauren's remains are)

The McDaniels, who live near Stone Mountain, are devout churchgoers. Glenda and Stephen’s father, Mark, were married in May 1977, nearly 34 years to the day Stephen would graduate from law school.

Their daughter, whom Glenda McDaniel says battled a crack-cocaine problem -- which led to a number of arrests -- couldn’t take care of her children, and that’s why she and her husband took them in. Now the family faces the accusations against Stephen. It has weighed on the children.

“Wednesday morning,” she says, “my 6-year-old, Asher, woke up crying. And I asked him what he had dreamed about. He had dreamed about Stephen. ... He said, ‘Mommy, I need to go to Macon.’ I said, ‘Why, darling?’ He said, ‘I want to go to Macon so I can help find her body, because her family is so sad.’ ... To think that a 6-year-old would have that much compassion and worry over something like that.”

After Stephen was charged with murder, she told the kids so that they wouldn’t hear about it on the TV news or in conversations grown-ups might have around the house.

Glenda McDaniel says she told them, “The Bible says, ‘All God’s promises for good he keeps.’ ... And Stephen belongs to God, and we are gonna claim those promises and we are gonna trust God. And my 8-year-old said, ‘Satan is trying to steal Stephen.’ I said, ‘Yes, dear, he’s trying to steal Stephen. He’s trying to steal our testimony. He’s trying to steal our faith in God. He’s trying to steal our peace, and we’re not going to listen to Satan.’ And the 10-year-old said, ‘Well, Satan is powerful.’ I said, ‘Yes, Satan and his demons are powerful. And one day they will be chained forever.’”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876