GUILTY GA - Martin Romero, 33, & four children stabbed to death, Loganville, 6 July 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How long it lasts depends on what's causing it. Months in some bipolar disorder cases, and I think it has to last at least six months for someone to be diagnosed with schizophrenia.

I wonder if she has a history of mental illness. If she is assessed and is found to be unwell I hope she is persuaded to have legal representation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the cause. And without treatment it can go on for years. I work with people who have treatment resistant schizophrenia who despite multiple antipsychotics still hear voices and respond to them. In fact if she's not faking, all that gesturing and mouthing may be in response to voices she is hearing.

The neighbor teen boy said she was so nice then she started getting mean lately and said she was seeing things. So very well could have been having delusional thoughts.

The death of her father she wasn't able to attend could have been the trigger that caused the psychotic break.

Mental illness is real in our country. We need more money going into long term hospitals and treatment.

She could be smiling and flirting with the camera if you have ever visited a mental hospital many of the patients will tell you they are movie stars and on TV. It is the strangest thing as some see themselves in the walls and on tv screens like it's real.

Depends on the cause. And without treatment it can go on for years. I work with people who have treatment resistant schizophrenia who despite multiple antipsychotics still hear voices and respond to them. In fact if she's not faking, all that gesturing and mouthing may be in response to voices she is hearing.

The talking about God is part of why I think she has a mental illness and is experiencing psychosis. I'm not attempting to diagnose her, just making observations and speculating on possibilities.

The neighbor teen boy said she was so nice then she started getting mean lately and said she was seeing things. So very well could have been having delusional thoughts.

The death of her father she wasn't able to attend could have been the trigger that caused the psychotic break.

Mental illness is real in our country. We need more money going into long term hospitals and treatment.

I wonder if it's possible for someone to have no signs of mental illness to suddenly do something like this. Wouldn't she have been feeling unwell for a while? Maybe she didn't want to see a doctor because she was in the country illegally.

I wonder if she has a history of mental illness. If she is assessed and is found to be unwell I hope she is persuaded to have legal representation.

I think I've read a few cases here where the defendant didn't want an attorney but the court ordered one anyway.

Won't someone have to evaluate her for mental illness and to decide whether or not she can participate in her defense? (I forget the exact wording.)

I wonder if it's possible for someone to have no signs of mental illness to suddenly do something like this. Wouldn't she have been feeling unwell for a while? Maybe she didn't want to see a doctor because she was in the country illegally.

Many can do a pretty good job of appearing normal as it sits stagnate in the brain. It manifest until a trigger of sorts lets it loose.

She could be smiling and flirting with the camera if you have ever visited a mental hospital many of the patients will tell you they are movie stars and on TV. It is the strangest thing as some see themselves on tv screens like it's real. Hear things in the wall and think speakers are talking to them.

I think I've read a few cases here where the defendant didn't want an attorney but the court ordered one anyway.

Won't someone have to evaluate her for mental illness and to decide whether or not she can participate in her defense? (I forget the exact wording.)

I'm sure she is being evaluated by jail psychiatrist the minute she was incarcerated. They drew blood from her arm so she may have been started on some Lithium a mood stabilizer.

I'm sure she is being evaluated by jail psychiatrist the minute she was incarcerated. They drew blood from her arm so she may have been started on some Lithium a mood stabilizer.

Why do you think Lithium? Unless they already have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder it would be early to start that - although I don't suppose it would do any harm. It's a mood stabilizer but more for mania than depression. My guess (though I'm no expert) is they'd start with an anti-psychotic or some sort of benzodiazepine.

Why do you think Lithium? Unless they already have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder it would be early to start that - although I don't suppose it would do any harm. It's a mood stabilizer but more for mania than depression. My guess (though I'm no expert) is they'd start with an anti-psychotic or some sort of benzodiazepine.

It was just a wild guess. Jails here in CA are limited to what they will dispense because cost for psych meds can be expensive for the state. It depends on the state. Lithium is cheap so common for the jails to dispense another popular one with jails is Seroquel (antipsychotic) lower cost than others and Wellbutrin for depression and bi-polar. They have to be careful what meds they give because inmate will abuse then. I know Wellbutrin is one of those.

It's depends also if she's been Rx any before we don't know her medical history. I was just throwing some out there I know CA jails will prescribe.

It was just a wild guess. Jails here in CA are limited to what they will dispense because cost for psych meds can be expensive for the state. It depends on the state. Lithium is cheap so common for the jails to dispense another popular one with jails is Seroquel (antipsychotic) lower cost than others and Wellbutrin for depression and bi-polar. They have to be careful what meds they give because inmate will abuse then. I know Wellbutrin is one of those.

It's depends also if she's been Rx any before we don't know her medical history. I was just throwing some out there I know CA jails will prescribe.

That makes sense. Thanks.

I'm so curious to know about her medical history. Bloodwork will tell them if she's been on anything... who knows what her husband could have told them. If she hadn't seen a psychiatrist she's probably seen a doctor at some point, especially if she had her children here. But if this came on suddenly maybe she (or anyone close to her) didn't understand it or didn't know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae
Immigration officials said Friday that Martinez illegally entered the U.S. from Mexico.

I was waiting for this to start here. As if it had absolutely anything to do with anything in this situation.

I hope the surviving daughter can heal from this physically and get the help she will need to move forward in life.

I'm trying to quote the original post by Ellay Mae and then the reply by AZPistonsGirl so I can reply to both...... pretty sure I messed it up.
However what I wanted to say is I think her being in this country illegally may actually have everything to do with this case.

Perhaps the death of her father brought on the initial psychosis. The neighbor boy said she started to get mean after her father's death. http://www.11alive.com/mb/news/police-identify-victims-in-gwinnett-county-family-slaughter/454788227
So perhaps because she was here illegally, she couldnt go to her fathers funeral and pay last respects, which caused her to have the psychotic break.

All just my humble option and thinking out loud, but just maybe it had everything to do with this case.

IMO, she's not on any medication, but she should be. I do believe she's mentally ill. So much sorrow for this family.

IIRC from years ago, Wellbutrin is the SAME drug as another that is labelled as a stop smoking pill. Same thing, just the only difference is what the doctor orders it for.

I would like to know how long a psychotic break can last. Minutes, hours, days or weeks? I always thought it was a short term thing but judging by her it seems to last a while - if she genuinely had had one.

It can last indefinitely if not treated right away. The moment she started hearing voices she should've been hospitalized. And when it goes untreated it can be harder to treat and can reoccur easily. Or so I have read.

Many can do a pretty good job of appearing normal as it sits stagnate in the brain. It manifest until a trigger of sorts lets it loose.

She could be smiling and flirting with the camera if you have ever visited a mental hospital many of the patients will tell you they are movie stars and on TV. It is the strangest thing as some see themselves on tv screens like it's real. Hear things in the wall and think speakers are talking to them.

It's a shame we don't do better dealing with mental illness in this country. It should be a priority to get unfettered help for people who are suffering. Not delays in treatment, not shortened treatment, not financial obstacles to treatment, more screenings, etc.

We can do better. It seems so straight forward.

Immigration officials said Friday that Martinez illegally entered the U.S. from Mexico.

I'm trying to quote the original post by Ellay Mae and then the reply by AZPistonsGirl so I can reply to both...... pretty sure I messed it up.
However what I wanted to say is I think her being in this country illegally may actually have everything to do with this case.

Perhaps the death of her father brought on the initial psychosis. The neighbor boy said she started to get mean after her father's death. http://www.11alive.com/mb/news/police-identify-victims-in-gwinnett-county-family-slaughter/454788227
So perhaps because she was here illegally, she couldnt go to her fathers funeral and pay last respects, which caused her to have the psychotic break.

All just my humble option and thinking out loud, but just maybe it had everything to do with this case.

I know someone (through family who dated her for a few months), who had a brief reactive psychotic episode when her best friend died of cancer. Her family is terrible and not loving and she didn't have many she could truly count on. This friend was one of the few that she was really close with.

I met her a couple times before she went psychotic. I thought she was super manic. I was later told she had been exhibiting some paranoia (thinking her boarders were stealing her fish oil of all things, and that people at work were talking about her). But my family member thought it was just an eccentric quirk.

They broke up and we just found out that after her best friend died, which was shortly after the break up, she became psychotic and was found walking miles on the highway, barefoot.

Months later, she's better but deeply paranoid, trying to sell her house because she thinks it's been "infiltrated" too many times.

She showed up suddenly on our doorstep, crying and explaining everything. It made me a bit nervous.

I would like to know how long a psychotic break can last. Minutes, hours, days or weeks? I always thought it was a short term thing but judging by her it seems to last a while - if she genuinely had had one.

They can last days. Or as short as a few min.

She could be smiling and flirting with the camera if you have ever visited a mental hospital many of the patients will tell you they are movie stars and on TV. It is the strangest thing as some see themselves in the walls and on tv screens like it's real.

My son had a psychotic episode when he was on chemo and steroids when he had cancer. He was hospitalized for 4 days. It was the scariest and most painful thing ever as his mother. He hated me. I think he secretly wanted to kill us all. It was terrifying.

I agree w that part, but the media in our current climate is using it as sensationalism.

My son had a psychotic episode when he was on chemo and steroids when he had cancer. He was hospitalized for 4 days. It was the scariest and most painful thing ever as his mother. He hated me. I think he secretly wanted to kill us all. It was terrifying.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. It must be so upsetting. Was it the chemo that made him have the psychotic episode or the trauma of the cancer?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back