GA - Meredith Emerson, 24, Blood Mountain, 4 January 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
People don't hike the Appalachian Trail with dogs, do they? One of the articles (http://www.myfoxaustin.com/myfox/pa...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.3.1) described the male hiker's backpack as "very large". To me, that sounds like it may have been the type of backpack that an AT hiker may use. I've never heard of an AT hiker with a dog, but that doesn't mean people don't do it.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.809945/k.C824/FAQ.htm

Can I bring my dog?

Dogs are permitted along most of the Trail, but they impose additional responsibilities on hikers who bring them along. If you want to hike with your dog, be considerate of others (and your dog) by planning carefully, educating yourself about local regulations, and keeping your dog controlled at all times. Dogs are not allowed in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee and North Carolina, Baxter State Park in Maine, and the Trailside Museum and Wildlife Center in Bear Mountain State Park, New York. Dogs are required to be on a leash on all National Park Service-administered lands—or more than 40 percent of the entire A.T. More: Hiking with Dogs.

If you input the name of the trail into Google maps, it will pull up the location, then at the top click on find businesses on map, and input, restaurants, or whatever type of business you are looking for. It should pull up the names, addresses and phone numbers. I think that's how to do all that anyways.

Okie I'll try that out and see where I get ....

But Has anyone found a better description? I mean, seriously, A weathered man with missing teeth can be anyone of a number of people right?

People don't hike the Appalachian Trail with dogs, do they? One of the articles (http://www.myfoxaustin.com/myfox/pa...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.3.1) described the male hiker's backpack as "very large". To me, that sounds like it may have been the type of backpack that an AT hiker may use. I've never heard of an AT hiker with a dog, but that doesn't mean people don't do it.

I'm going to respond to my own post. It seems that hiking with one's dog on the AT is not unusual at all. Over at http://www.trailjournals.com, it seems like there are quite a few people who bring their dogs with them (at least part of the way). The website may be useful and I've been looking through it for the past 10 minutes. Basically, people who are hiking the AT post entries and photos about their trip, many of them posting as they go when they stop in towns with internet access. Perhaps someone else encountered this male hiker and wrote about it or even took a picture? There are quite a few people currently hiking the trail, especially in the Georgia area since they would be ending their southbound trek from Maine (where they would have started in the late summer, early fall).

According to the below linked article, Dandy guy was possibly driving a 2000/2001 white minivan, poss Ga. plates.

(snip)
Police have confirmed that a water bottle and a leash found in the area belonged to Emerson, Verdone said.

Emerson's roommate, Julia Karrenbauer, told CNN on Thursday that Emerson's sunglasses and mittens were found in the area, as was a baton.

Police are not confirming the roomates information.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/03/missing.hiker/index.html

Have we gotten confirmation/news yet on exactly where the items were found? I've seen some reports say on/near the trail, and other articles state by her vehicle.

This young dog owner is missing in GA too. Are they close in location?
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58041

Local news reported today that Cayle was known to be bipolar. Some seem to think this may have something to do with her disappearance, as there were other reports of her behaving strangely, lately. I'm not so sure, myself. Even bipolar people in a manic phase or deep in depression will typically shut their doors and keep their pets in. And over the course of the last 20 years, there have been at least 3 unsolved murders in Athens of women who fit Cayle's description.

Here's a link to the CNN story:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/03/missing.hiker/index.html

Police in the North Georgia mountains are looking for a man described as a "person of interest" in the disappearance of a 24-year-old woman last seen hiking on New Year's Day.

Meredith Emerson, originally from Colorado, had been hiking the Freeman Trail on Blood Mountain with her black Labrador retriever on Tuesday....

...the man was seen talking to Emerson on the trail several times. She described him as a white male between 50 and 60 years old, about 5-feet-10-inches tall and 160 pounds, with either bad or no teeth.

The man had a sheath of some sort on one of his legs, Verdone said, but police don't know what was in it. He was wearing a yellow jacket and a large backpack -- "something you would use for a couple of days," she said.

"One of the eyewitnesses described him as being weathered and no teeth and looked as if he had been hiking for quite some time," Verdone said.

The man was accompanied by a dog, a "dark reddish-colored retriever," who answered to the name Dandy, she said. She said at one point, Emerson and the man both let their dogs run free, then followed the two dogs as they ran up the mountain.

Verdone said the man might be driving a 2000 or 2001 white minivan, possibly with a Georgia tag.

She asked that anyone with information about the man call the Union County Sheriff's Office at 706-439-6038.

much more at link

pic of Meredith
art.hiker.facebook.jpg

Thanks Steve, very interesting and scary. What bothers me is Cayle left everything behind.

Jinxie, no confirmation of where any of the items were found or where the sightings took place, that I can find. It seems the info regarding the ex-le ofcr is from what the roomate stated and from a shop owner and who knows where they got their info. The baton, mittens and Emerson's sunglasses could be rumor at this point. Who knows?

A new report states that the dog's name was 'Dandy', not 'Danny', and the man may have had no teeth at all. People reported seeing Meredith speaking with the man several times the day she disappeared.

http://www.wbir.com/news/regional/story.aspx?storyid=53050&provider=rss

Snip from the above article

Authorities said the man in question had a large, reddish-colored dog with him that answered to the name of "Dandy." Emerson and the man's dogs ran up the mountains near Dahlonega together, and the two were seen following their dogs Tuesday, witnesses told authorities. The man in question was spotted again Wednesday morning.

So if Im understanding this right, he was seen AFTER her car was reported to LE by the park employee right? I dunno, I can't see someone being uneasy/scared continuing to talk/hang out with someone kwim? And from the sounds of it, while not friends or probably even knowing eachother, well she let her dog go with his and play etc.(NO Im not saying/blaming her at ALL) Just stating that from what's being reported, she seemed to be "comfortable a bit with im.)Also, a 60 year old man would be no match (But again, I can be looking at this all wrong) for a girl who had all that going for her (according to family/friends reports) Noone else has come forward except the EX officer to state it looked odd/funny feeling etc correct?

I think they should be looking a little closer at a certain someone. Still have my fingers crossed that she twisted an ankle or something and will be found in a very short period of time!

Have there been dogs or anything out that have picked up her/her dogs scent. Is it possible for a dog to search for another dog like that? I mean, I know a dog can obviously "smell" another dog. But I didn't know if it would be something that would throw a dog "off course" so to speak.

According to her friend, Ella would not leave Meredith's side. However, if for some reason she did, the dog is chipped and can be traced to Meredith if Ella ends up in a shelter or at a vets office.

ETA - I realized I've already posted about the microchip...sorry

According to her friend, Ella would not leave Meredith's side. However, if for some reason she did, the dog is chipped and can be traced to Meredith if Ella ends up in a shelter or at a vets office.

ETA - I realized I've already posted about the microchip...sorry

I know dogs can be traced back via microchip, but do all shelters (is this a rural area? It looks heavily forested etc, but that' doesn't always mean it's rural right?) have the scanners? If someone were to bring in a dead/almost dead animal do they scan those for chips too? Or only "strays"?

I'm on petfinder currently looking at postings for georgia - I know where I live, you'll frequently see posts about "Seen X animal meeting X description Running through the woods/acreage located in X area."

Likeliness is next to nil I know, but figure if the dog won't leave her side, and someone ends up finding the dog/turning it in/remembering seeing a glimpse of it somewhere, well maybe it's another stone that can be unturned.

I wish I were closer, not sure what it is about this one, but Im becoming quickly "obsessed" with it. Can't stop hitting the refresh pages here and on the news sites.

Snip from the above article
Authorities said the man in question had a large, reddish-colored dog with him that answered to the name of "Dandy." Emerson and the man's dogs ran up the mountains near Dahlonega together, and the two were seen following their dogs Tuesday, witnesses told authorities. The man in question was spotted again Wednesday morning.

So if Im understanding this right, he was seen AFTER her car was reported to LE by the park employee right? I dunno, I can't see someone being uneasy/scared continuing to talk/hang out with someone kwim? And from the sounds of it, while not friends or probably even knowing eachother, well she let her dog go with his and play etc.(NO Im not saying/blaming her at ALL) Just stating that from what's being reported, she seemed to be "comfortable a bit with im.)Also, a 60 year old man would be no match (But again, I can be looking at this all wrong) for a girl who had all that going for her (according to family/friends reports) Noone else has come forward except the EX officer to state it looked odd/funny feeling etc correct?

(1) Why would someone who had committed a crime hang around the area long enough to be seen the next day? He must know how distinctive he is, with a yellow jacket and red dog. This probably means he was (a) uninvolved in Meredith's disappearance; (b) one of those criminals who enjoy hanging out to watch LE investigate their crimes; or (c) mentally unstable.

(2) Meredith may have been able to overtake a 60-year-old, but not likely a 60-year-old armed with some sort of weapon. The best protection she had with her was her dog.

Hopefully, all of the local shelters, vets, groomers have been notified.

BUFORD, Ga. — Authorities planned to continue searching Thursday for a woman who disappeared after going hiking in the North Georgia mountains.

Meredith Emerson, 24, a Colorado native who now lives in Buford, went hiking with her black Labrador Retriever, Ella, on Tuesday morning, friends said.

Her 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier was found abandoned Wednesday at the base of Blood Mountain.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,319948,00.html

Search Resumes for Woman Last Seen Hiking at Blood Mountain in Union County

video at link
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/p...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

(1) Why would someone who had committed a crime hang around the area long enough to be seen the next day? He must know how distinctive he is, with a yellow jacket and red dog. This probably means he was (a) uninvolved in Meredith's disappearance; (b) one of those criminals who enjoy hanging out to watch LE investigate their crimes; or (c) mentally unstable./quote

Exactly!!!! (Couple of questions concerning him about him maybe being uninvolved at this point) If as its been stated he was there for a "couple/few days" other than seeing LE and the like, is it possible he may not know she's missing hence why he has Not come forward yet? OR if he's on another part of the trail, would he even know about LE being in the area they were originally in? (I thought I read the trail was like 6 miles, but I'm guessing if it's part of the AT that people are speaking of, it goes a much, much greater distance?

I wonder if this guy (with the dog) lives out of his van?

I think Meredith was seen on Freeman Trail, which is a 6-mile long offshoot of the AT. The AT stretches from Maine to Georgia and Blood Mountain is not far from where the trail begins/ends in GA.

I've written a brief blog entry about this -- nothing in it that'd be new to you all:

http://www.truecrimeweblog.com/2008/01/mysteriously-missing-from-blood.html

I will, however, be updating it as needed.

I'm contemplating heading up there, but don't know that I'll be able to. Especially since I might have to drive a white minivan, and even though I'm only 40 and have red hair, that'd still get me stopped at this point in the investigation, dontcha think?

Steve/Mr. A

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Where is Jennifer*
Back