GA - Rayshard Brooks, 27, fatally shot by Police, Wendy’s lot, Atlanta, 12 Jun 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Arrest warrants have been issued, and Brosnan turned himself into the Fulton County Jail and was being processed late Thursday morning.

Rolfe has until Thursday evening to turn himself in.

Brosnan will sign a signature bond and be released within an hour of turning himself in. He won't be required to wear a GPS anklet, but he will have to work out "minor issues," such as whether he's allowed to leave Georgia.

Brosnan is cooperating and providing details on what he saw, but he's not a state witness. Brosnan also faces two counts of violating his oath of office.

"To be clear there is no agreement that our client is going to testify at any hearing. He has been cooperative. He went in and made a statement to the assistant DA and their investigator, provided them with his cell phone," defense attorney Amanda Clark Palmer said. "If there's any other law enforcement agency like the GBI I would anticipate wants to talk to him, we'll be cooperative." She continued, "He's not a state witness. He is a witness. He will tell the truth about what he saw happen."

Rolfe also faces five counts of aggravated assault, four counts of violating his oath of office and one count of criminal damage to property. He could get the death penalty if convicted on the felony murder charge.

Rayshard Brooks: Arrest warrants issued for the officers facing charges in his death

Arrest warrants have been issued, and Brosnan turned himself into the Fulton County Jail and was being processed late Thursday morning.

Brosnan will sign a signature bond and be released within an hour of turning himself in. He won't be required to wear a GPS anklet, but he will have to work out "minor issues," such as whether he's allowed to leave Georgia.

Brosnan is cooperating and providing details on what he saw, but he's not a state witness. Brosnan also faces two counts of violating his oath of office.

"To be clear there is no agreement that our client is going to testify at any hearing. He has been cooperative. He went in and made a statement to the assistant DA and their investigator, provided them with his cell phone," defense attorney Amanda Clark Palmer said. "If there's any other law enforcement agency like the GBI I would anticipate wants to talk to him, we'll be cooperative." She continued, "He's not a state witness. He is a witness. He will tell the truth about what he saw happen."

Rolfe also faces five counts of aggravated assault, four counts of violating his oath of office and one count of criminal damage to property. He could get the death penalty if convicted on the felony murder charge.

Rayshard Brooks: Arrest warrants issued for the officers facing charges in his death
thanks and I've added to the media thread.

Just wondering what comes next
Has an arrest warrant been issued yet?
When will the GBI release the findings of their investigations?

I'm really interested in the toxicology report. He was a tall man, it appeared in the video. But those officers went flying like rag dolls. Maybe that's how he was supposedly "kicked." :rolleyes:

wow -BBM - that never even occurred to me - The Chief stepped down rather than be involved in prosecuting an officer who may be justified ? wow - great post @Abp5 - giving me something to think about now.
JMO

Thanks! I found it very interesting. When I heard she resigned it struck me as odd. When I noticed that the APD had invited the GBI to investigate, not the DA’s office, it really made me think. I think the timing of everything is very telling IMO.

This is beyond belief. I mean sheer insanity.

I have to wonder too, as some already have said, is this movement even at all about equality or justice?
#StayStrongGeorgia

wow -BBM - that never even occurred to me - The Chief stepped down rather than be involved in prosecuting an officer who may be justified ? wow - great post @Abp5 - giving me something to think about now.
JMO

IMO, she had been burned by Howard before and knew that he would not operate fairly. She learned that just a few weeks ago with the college student tasing and 6 officers being arrested. This is from an email the APD Chief sent. At the time surrounding counties had officers assisting the APD with the protests/riots. It was the very same counties that APD contacted for support last night. Those counties pulled their officers out of assisting APD after the DA charged those 6 officers and blindsided Chief Shields. IMO, those counties won’t be assisting now either.

Our intention was to carry out an administrative investigation into the actions of the other officers on scene; criminal charges were never part of any discussion that I had with the Mayor or her administration. The criminal piece was brought to my attention yesterday through a fellow employee. Upon receiving the information, I called the DA and strongly expressed my concern, both to the appropriateness and the timing of any charges.”

Leaked email: APD chief blindsided by officer charges, agencies end support in Atlanta

Multiple agencies that were assisting us in managing this incredibly volatile time have pulled out, effective immediately. They are not comfortable with their employees being leveraged politically by the potential of also facing criminal charges.”“

This does not mean for a moment that I will sit quietly by and watch our employees get swept up in the tsunami of political jockeying during an election year. Stay strong and know that we will find better days ahead. -- Chief Shields””

It's a sad day for all of America, IMOO. Ruining these men's lives, careers, reputations will not for any group right any other perceived wrongs, past or present. But that doesn't seem to matter. The officer in NY who spoke out about FF's death, I'd like to hear him now backing his brothers in blue in this situation. I hope he's just as outraged now.

IMO, she had been burned by Howard before and knew that he would not operate fairly. She learned that just a few weeks ago with the college student tasing and 6 officers being arrested. This is from an email the APD Chief sent. At the time surrounding counties had officers assisting the APD with the protests/riots. It was the very same counties that APD contacted for support last night. Those counties pulled their officers out of assisting APD after the DA charged those 6 officers and blindsided Chief Shields. IMO, those counties won’t be assisting now either.

Our intention was to carry out an administrative investigation into the actions of the other officers on scene; criminal charges were never part of any discussion that I had with the Mayor or her administration. The criminal piece was brought to my attention yesterday through a fellow employee. Upon receiving the information, I called the DA and strongly expressed my concern, both to the appropriateness and the timing of any charges.”

Leaked email: APD chief blindsided by officer charges, agencies end support in Atlanta

Multiple agencies that were assisting us in managing this incredibly volatile time have pulled out, effective immediately. They are not comfortable with their employees being leveraged politically by the potential of also facing criminal charges.”“

This does not mean for a moment that I will sit quietly by and watch our employees get swept up in the tsunami of political jockeying during an election year. Stay strong and know that we will find better days ahead. -- Chief Shields””

Wow, very telling, and very strong words! “This does not mean for a moment that I will sit quietly by and watch our employees get swept up in the tsunami of political jockeying during an election year.

Fantastic find @Abp5 !!!

JMO

Isn't it amazing how quickly the media was lead to believe, or maybe told directly ICR, that the chief was fired.

Hey everyone,

Please remain focused on the specifics of this case ... the killing of Rayshard Brooks at the hands of Atlanta LE.

The Wendys fire (a separate crime), the DA's possible political aspirations (politicizing), the protests (a social justice issue protesting racial inequities everywhere) are all peripheral issues that spin the thread out of control and are not the immediate subject of this discussion.

Thanks.

Thanks! I found it very interesting. When I heard she resigned it struck me as odd. When I noticed that the APD had invited the GBI to investigate, not the DA’s office, it really made me think. I think the timing of everything is very telling IMO.

Isn't it amazing how quickly the media was lead to believe, or maybe told directly ICR, that the chief was fired.

She was not fired, she stepped aside and will remain with the APD. Her statement:

"For more than two decades, I have served alongside some of the finest women and men in the Atlanta Police Department," Shields said in a statement. "Out of a deep and abiding love for this City and this department, I offered to step aside as police chief. APD has my full support, and Mayor Bottoms has my support on the future direction of this department. I have faith in the Mayor, and it is time for the city to move forward and build trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve."

"We have implicit bias training in this city," she said. "We require people to go to the National Center for Civil and Human Rights. We have housing for our police officers in many of our communities in which they are serving in. But yet and still, it's not enough."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bi...s-steps-down-as-atlanta-police-chief.amp.html

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said assistant chief Rodney Bryant will be interim chief while the city searches for a full-time replacement.

Shields will remain with the APD, Bottoms said.

Last edited:
Did the DA show the part of the video that claims that the officer kicked Mr. Brooks? I got fed up with the conference yesterday and shut it off so maybe I missed it.

No. He did not. He showed a photo that alluded to the officer kicking Brooks. Even my teen said that it looked like he paused the video as the officer was running to Brooks. I have watched the video from the Wendy’s surveillance camera and it didn’t look to me like he was being kicked.

There was a car somewhat blocking the view but it looked as if the officer ran over and dropped to the ground to assist Brooks. That seems consistent with what Officer Brosnan’s lawyer said. He said that they were assessing the situation and securing him, then Rolf grabbed his first aid kit from his car, ran over and started administering first aid, when Brook’s stopped breathing he started CPR until paramedics arrived. I believe one article said that Brooks was revived but died later at the hospital.

Last edited:
GBI preliminary report - June 13

GBI Director Vic Reynolds held a press conference Saturday afternoon which detailed elements of the investigation and the shooting.

Police were initially called to the Wendy's around 10:33 p.m. after a complaint about a man parked in the drive-thru asleep, forcing other vehicles to drive around him, according to the GBI's preliminary report.

According to Reynolds, officers administered a field sobriety test on the man, later identified as Brooks. After he failed, they attempted to take him into custody.

During the attempted arrest, he said, Brooks resisted and a struggle began. The arresting officer pulled out a Taser.

Witnesses indicated that the man grabbed the Taser from the officer.

According to Atlanta Assistant Police Chief Timothy Peek, a second officer got involved and also attempted to tase Brooks.

Reynolds said that surveillance video from Wendy's "very clearly" showed that Brooks was running away while carrying the Taser he had taken from one of the officers.

According to Reynolds, Brooks appeared to turn and point the Taser over his shoulder toward the officers.

At that point, he said, one of the officers drew his service revolver and shot Brooks.

"It does appear in the video that he is fleeing from the Atlanta police officers, and as he's fleeing, he turns back over his shoulder with, what appears to the naked eye to be this Taser that witnesses told us they saw that belonged to one of the officers and as he turned, one of the Atlanta officers reached down to get his service weapon, and as he gets his weapon, Mr. Brooks turns his body away from him -- I presume to flee," Reynolds said. "It looks like that's when the discharge happens."

Brooks was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital and according to the GBI, he died during surgery at Grady.

Atlanta police chief stepping down, mayor calls for officer in Atlanta shooting to be fired

Last edited:
Here is a statement from Officer Rolfe’s lawyer. I am not sure if it had been linked. This seems consistent with the statement by the other officer’s attorney as well.

Lawyers for former APD officer involved in Rayshard Brooks shooting release statement

“Instead of merely trying to escape, Mr. Brooks reached back with his arm extended and pointed an object at Officer Rolfe. Officer Rolfe heard a sound like a gunshot and saw a flash in front of him. Fearing for his safety, and the safety of the civilians around him, Officer Rolfe dropped his taser and fired his service weapon at the only portion of Mr. Brooks that presented to him - Mr. Brooks’ back. Officer Rolfe immediately stopped firing when Mr. Brooks fell to the ground since there was no longer an imminent threat towards Officer Rolfe or others. Officer Rolfe gathered himself, and then immediately called for EMS. Officer Rolfe retrieved first-aid supplies and began rendering aid to Mr. Brooks. When Mr. Brooks’ pulse stopped, Officer Rolfe immediately began CPR until EMS relieved him.”

I'm really interested in the toxicology report. He was a tall man, it appeared in the video. But those officers went flying like rag dolls. Maybe that's how he was supposedly "kicked." :rolleyes:

Yeah, while watching the video I was incredibly surprised it was taking two police officers to handle him. Could he have had something other than just “one small cup, one glass, 1 ½ glasses” of a margarita /daiquiri.

She was not fired, she stepped aside. Here is her statement:

"For more than two decades, I have served alongside some of the finest women and men in the Atlanta Police Department," Shields said in a statement. "Out of a deep and abiding love for this City and this department, I offered to step aside as police chief. APD has my full support, and Mayor Bottoms has my support on the future direction of this department. I have faith in the Mayor, and it is time for the city to move forward and build trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve."

"We have implicit bias training in this city," she said. "We require people to go to the National Center for Civil and Human Rights. We have housing for our police officers in many of our communities in which they are serving in. But yet and still, it's not enough."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bi...s-steps-down-as-atlanta-police-chief.amp.html

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said assistant chief Rodney Bryant will be interim chief while the city searches for a full-time replacement.

Shields will remain with the APD, Bottoms said.

That's my point. Early reports framed it in a way that lead me to believe she was fired. Actually, it was a quote by the mayor in MSM that first or second night after the death that lead me to believe that. And then come to find out that it was the Chief's decision to resign.

LE can't work if ill from high blood pressure, elevated blood sugars, stomach issues, and many more conditions. It's up to a physician to determine. And the nice thing ...most of the medical information is suppress under family medical leave act.

Short and long term disability will cover most officers.

MOO...
Just to add....
LE can be fired and replaced if they strike.
If they are on long term disability, they can't be.

Did the DA show the part of the video that claims that the officer kicked Mr. Brooks? I got fed up with the conference yesterday and shut it off so maybe I missed it.

“Specifically, DA Howard said Officer Rolfe ‘kicked’ Mr. Brooks after he had been shot. However, several witnesses who recorded the incident, made no mention of the officer kicking Mr. Brooks. “My client didn’t kick anybody, my client rendered aid, my client monitored this man’s pulse and when it faded, he did CPR trying to save his life,” said LoRusso. “If there was video of him kicking Mr. Brooks, you would have seen a video of him kicking Mr. Brooks.”

Attorney for APD Officer Garrett Rolfe talks exclusively to CBS46, calls charges “appalling”

That's my point. Early reports framed it in a way that lead me to believe she was fired. Actually, it was a quote by the mayor in MSM that first or second night after the death that lead me to believe that. And then come to find out that it was the Chief's decision to resign.

The problem is the headline. If you read the story:

Bottoms said it was Shields' own decision to step aside as police chief and that she would remain with the city in an undetermined role.

Atlanta's mayor says police chief has resigned after fatal police shooting of black man

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back