GA - Rayshard Brooks, 27, fatally shot by Police, Wendy’s lot, Atlanta, 12 Jun 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Looking at the footage it's striking how swiftly the shooting happens. The way the DA is presenting his case, you would get the impression Brooks fired the taser and Rolfe shot him 10 seconds later. If you look at the footage though, you can see that Brooks fires the taser at Rolfe at 23:22:48. You can clearly see the flash and can hear the discharge. Rolfe then fires his first shot at 23:22:49. I looked at the footage frames and Rolfe draws his weapon while Brooks' arm is still extended, pointing the taser towards Rolfe. Rolfe fires his first shot while Brooks in the process of lowering his arm, still holding the taser. We're literally talking millisecond events here.

With regards to the alleged kick, at 23:22:58 Rolfe appears to be making a sudden motion with his leg. His leg is obscured by a car though. The exact nature of the motion can not be determined based on this footage.

With regards to the charge of not giving first aid in a timely matter, it's true that there are roughly two minutes between the Brooks collapsing (at 23:22:50) and the start of first aid (23:25:00). Though the DA seems to imply Rolfe and Brosnan just stood around for two minutes, this is not the case. Rolfe reaches Brooks at 23:22:54. The first minute Brosnan and Rolfe appear to be securing the scene. At 23:23:55 Rolfe runs back to the police car, opening the trunk. He rummages around and appears to be putting on gloves (I assume these are medical gloves), occasionally talking into what appears to be the mobile phone attached to his shoulder. At 23:24:52 he runs back with the medical aid bag. At 23:25:00 he kneels down next to Brooks and begins giving him first aid, helped by Brosnan. All in all I can't say that the officers didn't start giving medical aid in a timely manner.

Looking at the footage it's striking how swiftly the shooting happens. The way the DA is presenting his case, you would get the impression Brooks fired the taser and Rolfe shot him 10 seconds later. If you look at the footage though, you can see that Brooks fires the taser at Rolfe at 23:22:48. You can clearly see the flash and can hear the discharge. Rolfe then fires his first shot at 23:22:49. I looked at the footage frames and Rolfe draws his weapon while Brooks' arm is still extended, pointing the taser towards Rolfe. Rolfe fires his first shot while Brooks in the process of lowering his arm, still holding the taser. We're literally talking millisecond events here.

With regards to the alleged kick, at 23:22:58 Rolfe appears to be making a sudden motion with his leg. His leg is obscured by a car though. The exact nature of the motion can not be determined based on this footage.

With regards to the charge of not giving first aid in a timely matter, it's true that there are roughly two minutes between the Brooks collapsing (at 23:22:50) and the start of first aid (23:25:00). Though the DA seems to imply Rolfe and Brosnan just stood around for two minutes, this is not the case. Rolfe reaches Brooks at 23:22:54. The first minute Brosnan and Rolfe appear to be securing the scene. At 23:23:55 Rolfe runs back to the police car, opening the trunk. He rummages around and appears to be putting on gloves (I assume these are medical gloves), occasionally talking into what appears to be the mobile phone attached to his shoulder. At 23:24:52 he runs back with the medical aid bag. At 23:25:00 he kneels down next to Brooks and begins giving him first aid, helped by Brosnan. All in all I can't say that the officers didn't start giving medical aid in a timely manner.
Thanks for those time stamps.
I watched the video over and over before the DA claimed Rolfe drew his gun before Brooks fired the tazer, and it appeared Brooks fired first, but I never slowed the video down.
So, if that's true, it's just another line of BS coming from the DA. Between him and the attorney representing Brooks, I'm not sure who lies more. The problem is the evidence is right there to see, and that contradicts most of what they say.
I believe Rolfe's attorney is going to have a field day with the prosecution in this case.

The problem is the headline. If you read the story:

Bottoms said it was Shields' own decision to step aside as police chief and that she would remain with the city in an undetermined role.

Atlanta's mayor says police chief has resigned after fatal police shooting of black man

I think when I read "
GBI preliminary report - June 13

GBI Director Vic Reynolds held a press conference Saturday afternoon which detailed elements of the investigation and the shooting.

Police were initially called to the Wendy's around 10:33 p.m. after a complaint about a man parked in the drive-thru asleep, forcing other vehicles to drive around him, according to the GBI's preliminary report.

According to Reynolds, officers administered a field sobriety test on the man, later identified as Brooks. After he failed, they attempted to take him into custody.

During the attempted arrest, he said, Brooks resisted and a struggle began. The arresting officer pulled out a Taser.

Witnesses indicated that the man grabbed the Taser from the officer.

According to Atlanta Assistant Police Chief Timothy Peek, a second officer got involved and also attempted to tase Brooks.

Reynolds said that surveillance video from Wendy's "very clearly" showed that Brooks was running away while carrying the Taser he had taken from one of the officers.

According to Reynolds, Brooks appeared to turn and point the Taser over his shoulder toward the officers.

At that point, he said, one of the officers drew his service revolver and shot Brooks.

"It does appear in the video that he is fleeing from the Atlanta police officers, and as he's fleeing, he turns back over his shoulder with, what appears to the naked eye to be this Taser that witnesses told us they saw that belonged to one of the officers and as he turned, one of the Atlanta officers reached down to get his service weapon, and as he gets his weapon, Mr. Brooks turns his body away from him -- I presume to flee," Reynolds said. "It looks like that's when the discharge happens."

Brooks was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital and according to the GBI, he died during surgery at Grady.

Atlanta police chief stepping down, mayor calls for officer in Atlanta shooting to be fired

In addition, they administered a breathalyzer on scene.

Great info here @Mandos!! Thank you for looking at the video frame by frame.

I agree with you, that they gave first aid in a timely manner. I don't know police procedure after a shooting. But I can see at the start of the video that there were many cars in the drive-thru. I'd think they'd have to make sure that they are safe and, secondarily, that they not mess up evidence. Like you said, securing the scene. It would take me a little bit to catch my breath and make sure my partner hadn't been shot or hurt severely. (They really got tossed around multiple times.) And then to run back to the cruiser, put on gloves, all while talking to dispatch. That would take some time.

I'm really interested in the toxicology report. He was a tall man, it appeared in the video. But those officers went flying like rag dolls. Maybe that's how he was supposedly "kicked." :rolleyes:
You'd be surprised at how just alcohol affects some people. You'd expect it to make someone lethargic and weaker, not always. A neighbor, years ago would drink and get into arguments and fist fights. It took seven police officers to subdue and arrest him. That was just with alcohol alone. He was 25.

Great info here @Mandos!! Thank you for looking at the video frame by frame.

I agree with you, that they gave first aid in a timely manner. I don't know police procedure after a shooting. But I can see at the start of the video that there were many cars in the drive-thru. I'd think they'd have to make sure that they are safe and, secondarily, that they not mess up evidence. Like you said, securing the scene. It would take me a little bit to catch my breath and make sure my partner hadn't been shot or hurt severely. (They really got tossed around multiple times.) And then to run back to the cruiser, put on gloves, all while talking to dispatch. That would take some time.

So it sounds like the officer was going to let him sleep it off, but he passed out again in the drive-thru lane. He only blew a 1.2 (IIRC can someone else help me out on that, please?) I'm very interested in the toxicology.

So the officer cuts him a break, seemingly. He doesn't follow instructions to move from the drive thru bc he passes out again. And then what? Can someone familiar with police parlance tell me what goes on next. Are the plates run? TIA

I can tell you plates are run...I got arrested for driving under revocation on my way back from a sobriety test. I was told to lay on the ground hands up. I was sober at the time.

I ran the risk of a massive bond as the buses did not run to where I had to take the test, my bond was 10k cash only for doing so.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you think white women burnt down Wendy's for it to be blamed on the BLM protesters? Isn't that a bit of a reach? The gas station also got looted and burnt down too I think.

I think I’ve seen enough crowds of protesters and Antifa, not to be wedded to the theory that white women are all conservatives.

Yeah, while watching the video I was incredibly surprised it was taking two police officers to handle him. Could he have had something other than just “one small cup, one glass, 1 ½ glasses” of a margarita /daiquiri.

I agree with you but don’t underestimate sheer adrenaline either. My friend in college went on a drunken rampage senior week and the closer we got to corralling him, the more panicked and reactionary he became.

So it sounds like the officer was going to let him sleep it off, but he passed out again in the drive-thru lane. He only blew a 1.2 (IIRC can someone else help me out on that, please?) I'm very interested in the toxicology.

So the officer cuts him a break, seemingly. He doesn't follow instructions to move from the drive thru bc he passes out again. And then what? Can someone familiar with police parlance tell me what goes on next. Are the plates run? TIA
He wasn’t cutting him a break. He did need to interview him to see what was up with his strange behavior. So, he had him park, otherwise he would have just let him continue in the drive thru. At least thats what it looks like.

I think I’ve seen enough crowds of protesters and Antifa, not to be wedded to the theory that white women are all conservatives.

I agree with you but don’t underestimate sheer adrenaline either. My friend in college went on a drunken rampage senior week and the closer we got to corralling him, the more panicked and reactionary he became.
I think Mr.Brooks spent all his energy trying to get away, the officers spent theirs trying to restrain him. The officers were not trying to hurt him just restrain him. Mr.Brooks appeared to be quite strong and pretty athletic. Even someone skilled in grappling would have a tough time although they would do things a bit differently.

It's .108, which is legally drunk in every state. It's basically means that for every 1000 milliliters of blood, 1 milliliter is alcohol. His weight, number of drinks and the time he had those drinks in will all determine his BAC.

If he was 180 pounds, to get a BAC that high, he would have had to drink six drinks in a hour. A drink is 4 oz of wine or a cocktail, 12 oz of beer or a 1 oz shot so he definitely had a lot more than the drinks he described to the officer.

Exactly!
A prominent attorney from Atlanta has this statement for his pinned tweet:

Pinned Tweet

Lin Wood
@LLinWood

·
Dec 19, 2019
The issue we face is not real news v. fake news. The issue is truth v. lie. Always pursue truth. In that pursuit, carefully seek out the truth-givers for they are very few in number. When found, listen very carefully. Truth. Face it. Embrace it. Live it.
People lie because they have something to hide. Look how many times Brooks lies to both officers. I noticed early on, Brooks was told many times to get back in the car and stay in the car. Would the car have been seized and searched after the shooting ? I am wondering if there might have been something in the car he didn't want the officer/officers to find. Alcohol, drugs, a weapon. Would car have been impounded and searched as part of evidence ?

I just watched the footage again. .
I can tell you plates are run...I got arrested for driving under revocation on my way back from a sobriety test. I was told to lay on the ground hands up. I was sober at the time.

I ran the risk of a massive bond as the buses did not run to where I had to take the test, my bond was 10k cash only for doing so.

Wow!! I'm so sorry that happened to you. You were really in a pickle with buses not running. At least now, in most places, there's Uber and Lyft. But I'm guessing that wasn't the case then.

I rewatched the video. The car was a rental. That might be why he took so long to find his license??

The first officer must have asked him at least a dozen times to stay in his car. He was acting really nervous to me, and I'm not even a cop. Has the final report been released. Was anything found in the car?

People lie because they have something to hide. Look how many times Brooks lies to both officers. I noticed early on, Brooks was told many times to get back in the car and stay in the car. Would the car have been seized and searched after the shooting ? I am wondering if there might have been something in the car he didn't want the officer/officers to find. Alcohol, drugs, a weapon. Would car have been impounded and searched as part of evidence ?

Exactly what I was wondering. That first officer, and really both, demonstrated a great deal of patience. I've never been treated that courteously when I've been pulled over. AMOO

He wasn’t cutting him a break. He did need to interview him to see what was up with his strange behavior. So, he had him park, otherwise he would have just let him continue in the drive thru. At least thats what it looks like.

I was only going by the audio, which was something close to...I'll move my car. You can get some sleep, but you'll have to pull over into a parking space. BUT the guy fell asleep again immediately before moving the car. Otherwise, I think he might have allowed him to sleep it off. But once he fell asleep again in the drive thru and then ran over the curb before parking, he was going to have to go through a sobriety test. After he started talking, it was clear he was inebriated. So, then the breathalyzer was a given. AMOO

Exactly what I was wondering. That first officer, and really both, demonstrated a great deal of patience. I've never been treated that courteously when I've been pulled over. AMOO
I was pulled over once so police officer could tell me people who lived on that street were complaining about speeders. I wasn't speeding. Police here get right to the point and are all business. Those officers were very friendly I thought.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back