GA - Rayshard Brooks, 27, fatally shot by Police, Wendy’s lot, Atlanta, 12 Jun 2020 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Officer in Rayshard Brooks case previously accused of 'cover up' in separate incident years before fatal shooting

11Alive's investigative team, the Reveal, found an accusation of a cover up from 2015, involving Rolfe and other Atlanta Police officers.

Records from Fulton County court show officers failed to mention they fired multiple shots into a stolen truck, hitting the driver, in the incident report.

Jackie Harris was shot in the center of his back.

This incident showed up on Rolfe's disciplinary record as being investigated for a firearm discharge in 2015. According to court records, Rolfe fired three of the five shots into the truck. The final disposition for that internal investigation however, is blank on the report that Atlanta Police provided.

Last edited:
Imo, I knew all along he was not going to seek the death penalty.

DAs only apply the DP when they believe they can get 12 jurors to agree. This is not one of those cases.

Imo, I see weakness in the DAs case, and he may not even be convicted of the top charge of murder.

Jmhoo

I don't think he should be charged with ANYTHING!

Imo, I knew all along he was not going to seek the death penalty.

DAs only apply the DP when they believe they can get 12 jurors to agree. This is not one of those cases.

Imo, I see weakness in the DAs case, and he may not even be convicted of the top charge of murder.

Jmhoo
He may not be convicted of ANYTHING.

I have a soft spot for animals, so I always take special note of news stories that involve animal rescue. In the past year or so we have had police officers rescue dogs off interstates, and one officer shut down all lanes of an interstate to rescue a kitty that was frantically dodging between cars.

It just breaks my heart to think about these officers being mistreated or denied service at restaurants.

Both men will face a Fulton County grand jury which will determine if they will be indicted. But, due to the pandemic, no grand juries can meet until at least October.

Fulton County District Attorney wants the ability to move forward with this case without an indictment
And here lies the problem.
In Ga. all capital felonies must be presented to a grand jury.
The defendant has the right to a grand jury hearing within 90 days.
The only exception is in a death penalty case where that can be extended an additional 90 days.
If the death penalty is off the table, unless the grand jury meets before Sept 19th, Mr Rolfe's rights will be violated.
The DA knows this and now wants to re-write the law to fit his needs.

Last edited:
When someone waives his/her court appearance, that doesn't mean he/she is not arraigned. That means Rolfe doesn't have to physically show up. His attorney will handle that.
@Rocky1
Thank you for explaining. I appreciate your knowledge and sharing with me.

Will there be a bond hearing and if so when would that occur ?

Last edited:
Former Atlanta police officer Garrett Rolfe is expected to appear in court on Friday at noon.

He turned himself into the Fulton County Jail Thursday, but then officials transferred him to the Gwinnett County Jail.

Rolfe was brought in through a side door where he could avoid our camera.

He’s being held in jail with no bond.

Former officer charged with murder of Rayshard Brooks to face judge Friday

Officer in Rayshard Brooks case previously accused of 'cover up' in separate incident years before fatal shooting

11Alive's investigative team, the Reveal, found an accusation of a cover up from 2015, involving Rolfe and other Atlanta Police officers.

Records from Fulton County court show officers failed to mention they fired multiple shots into a stolen truck, hitting the driver, in the incident report.

Jackie Harris was shot in the center of his back.

This incident showed up on Rolfe's disciplinary record as being investigated for a firearm discharge in 2015. According to court records, Rolfe fired three of the five shots into the truck. The final disposition for that internal investigation however, is blank on the report that Atlanta Police provided.

Key point in the article:
"Atlanta Police supervisors did tell 11Alive on the scene that night, that officers did fire into the truck."

Not much of a cover up, as this was known the night that the incident took place. Seems like the perp in this case milked this for all it was worth, and only got probation, even though charged with multiple felonies.

Key point in the article:
"Atlanta Police supervisors did tell 11Alive on the scene that night, that officers did fire into the truck."

Not much of a cover up, as this was known the night that the incident took place. Seems like the perp in this case milked this for all it was worth, and only got probation, even though charged with multiple felonies.

I was just looking at his booking info for that. I found it interesting that on 4 of the charges, including a felony, it says ‘Decline to Prosecute’. I also found it interesting that he had many charges prior to that...going back 16 years.

It's .108, which is legally drunk in every state. It's basically means that for every 1000 milliliters of blood, 1 milliliter is alcohol. His weight, number of drinks and the time he had those drinks in will all determine his BAC.

If he was 180 pounds, to get a BAC that high, he would have had to drink six drinks in a hour. A drink is 4 oz of wine or a cocktail, 12 oz of beer or a 1 oz shot so he definitely had a lot more than the drinks he described to the officer.

Thank you. He seemed extremely impaired to me - not so much his balance, but cognitively. (Not knowing where he was, continuing to change his story, etc.)

I have a soft spot for animals, so I always take special note of news stories that involve animal rescue. In the past year or so we have had police officers rescue dogs off interstates, and one officer shut down all lanes of an interstate to rescue a kitty that was frantically dodging between cars.

It just breaks my heart to think about these officers being mistreated or denied service at restaurants.

Ita! It truly rips my heart out for them, and 99.9% of them are very honorable good people who sacrifices so much already to keep their communities safe.

Just think about it. It's only less than a million police officers that keep law, and order in a country of at least 330 million people.

It also shows how little would or could do their jobs. Not many are willing to laydown their own lives for others. Our police officers along with other first responders are America's true heroes. They, like our beloved military, are the genuine heroes. Yet they both are vilified by those who have never served in their capacity nor could survive what they go through.

According to the DOJ statistics in 2019 more than 60 thousand police officers were assaulted!!! That was before this year when all of the horrific riots are happening resulting in deaths of officers, one at least on life support which will passaway, imo, and hundreds more have been assaulted.

The majority of us have no clue how it feels to have urine, and feces thrown on us nor what it feels like to have bricks or concrete or other deadly objects thrown hitting us.

It shows what amazing courage they have, and commitment to serve others especially in certain cities when they cant even wear protective gear. They are just to stand there taking all of the horrific abuses criminals do against them.

I truly do not know how each one gets up everyday to go back out there knowing they may never come back home again to their families. It shows what truly exceptional human beings they are.

How many of us would or could go to work every day knowing it may be the very
last day we ever see our families or be severely injured left in a vegetative state or sustain other life altering injuries?

Instead of vilifying all police officers for what very few do we should be trying ways to honor them. They answer 250 million 911 calls a year. It shows how exceedingly rare it is to have rogue cops overall who shoots someone unjustifiably. Yet many falsely accuse them all as being bad, and... if people didnt know better... they would think unjustifiable shootings happens all the time .

Imo, it's those constant untruths that is tearing our country apart. Knowledge is power, but the lack of knowledge or not knowing all of the facts can be dangerous. That goes for any subject being discussed in America.

God bless our police officers all across our nation. I pray every day for peace, and safety for them, and for all of us.

Jmho

Last edited:
I was pulled over once so police officer could tell me people who lived on that street were complaining about speeders. I wasn't speeding. Police here get right to the point and are all business. Those officers were very friendly I thought.

I thought so too. I was pulled over not long ago at about 3a.m. There was not another car around, and I used my turn signal to change lanes. But I nearly got a ticket anyway, (definitely got a stern lecture) because I changed lanes within so many yards of a traffic light.

I thought those officers treated him with dignity and respect. He did not respond in kind.

Does anyone know why he was on probation? I haven't seen his priors, just that he has some. TIA

Fabulous post! My feeling is that since the George Floyd killing, there is more tension than I ever remember. If there were any forward steps taken, towards improving race relations they have taken a huge step backwards. And not because of RB being killed, but because George Floyd being murdered does not mean the circumstances are equal. The violence occurring destroys the message. JMO
My sentiments exactly. There is no one size fits all problem or solution. Each case should be looked at individually. JMO that BLM doesn't seem to care about justice or looking at each case individually. Seems like anyone can jump on their train.

Mine too.

It will continue to grow.

Imo, many feel this is NOT justice, but believe all of these charges are overkill.

Jmho tho

AMOO
Completely agree; this is NOT just. The only criminal is the man who resisted arrest. BLM, etc. may think this movement is picking up momentum. In my opinion, they are going to start getting major pushback (as well as the businesses who have backed them) if they continue calling for nonsense like these charges. People are very tired. Criminal justice reform is necessary for all, for the benefit of all, including for LE. Just because you claim something and repeat it over and over doesn't make it so. ALL LIVES MATTER.

Both men will face a Fulton County grand jury which will determine if they will be indicted. But, due to the pandemic, no grand juries can meet until at least October.

Fulton County District Attorney wants the ability to move forward with this case without an indictment

So, basically the rules don't apply to him is what he's saying. SMH

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Checkyourhead
Back