GA - Rayshard Brooks, 27, fatally shot in Wendy’s car park, Atlanta, 12 Jun 2020 *officer charged*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure it this has already been posted. Full story from the Guardian's US Bureau:

Rayshard Brooks shooting: Atlanta officer charged with felony murder

Also from the G's breaking news feed:

Fulton county district attorney Paul Howard revealed that Atlanta police officer Garrett Rolfe knew the taser Rayshard Brooks took from him was not functional.

The taser had already been fired twice and thus was of no use when Rolfe shot Brooks twice in the back as he was running away.

The detail underscores that Rolfe was aware he was in no physical danger when he fatally shot Brooks. Cameras also captured Rolfe kicking Brooks as he was on the ground struggling for his life.

BBM..Given how quickly Brooks turned and pointed the taser at the officer - would it matter if the officer knew the taser was not functional if he wasn't certain what Brooks was pointing at him ?

Not sure it this has already been posted. Full story from the Guardian's US Bureau:

Fulton county district attorney Paul Howard revealed that Atlanta police officer Garrett Rolfe knew the taser Rayshard Brooks took from him was not functional.

The taser had already been fired twice and thus was of no use when Rolfe shot Brooks twice in the back as he was running away.

The detail underscores that Rolfe was aware he was in no physical danger when he fatally shot Brooks. Cameras also captured Rolfe kicking Brooks as he was on the ground struggling for his life.
how did he know it had been fired twice that night? was there a previous moment when the taser was fired at him that we don't know about yet? this point does not make sense to me yet.

Now the charges are starting to make more sense...because without this, I don't see why they would be charged.

how did he know it had been fired twice that night? was there a previous moment when the taser was fired at him that we don't know about yet? this point does not make sense to me yet.

well, if it was fired in the middle of a melee, who can necessarily remember? Adrenaline is running high. It’s not like being an audience member in your own living room, watching your standard crime drama at a complete remove and counting off bullets as they pop.

Now the charges are starting to make more sense...because without this, I don't see why they would be charged.

The taser was apparently fired once by the officer, and once by Brooks. I’m sure when someone points the freaking thing at you after fighting with you, stealing it, and running, you don’t have a lot of time to think about it.

The taser was apparently fired once by the officer, and once by Brooks. I’m sure when someone points the freaking thing at you after fighting with you, stealing it, and running, you don’t have a lot of time to think about it.

If you have time to grab your gun and shoot him in the back, then you have time to remember that the thing he pointed at you before he turned around and ran doesn't work - because you disabled it. This sounds like very bad judgment and bad training, which may explain why the chief stepped down. Worth criminal charges? I didn't think so and honestly didn't understand. But if this was about anger and revenge, then yes, charges.

If you have time to grab your gun and shoot him in the back, then you have time to remember that the thing he pointed at you before he turned around and ran doesn't work - because you disabled it. This sounds like very bad judgment and bad training, which may explain why the chief stepped down. Worth criminal charges? I didn't think so and honestly didn't understand. But if this was about anger and revenge, then yes, charges.

The taser WAS working when Brooks turned around and FIRED it at the officer. I think the point is it wouldn’t fire again.

Have you ever counselled police officers after their traumatic incidents?

You don't think we have thousands of traumatised officers on the front lines right now?

Do you consider that this case right here might have been very traumatising for the officers? They were totally polite and respectful towards Mr Brooks. And then suddenly, with no warning, he began assaulting them both. I think they held back a little, not wanting to be seen kneeling on his back or neck, not wanting to be filmed being out of line.

Do you have any idea how careful officers are trying to be now in order to avoid pulling a weapon?
And in spite of that, it happened here. And I think it was because the officers training kicked in. Once that suspect turned and fired the stolen taser at him, he knew he was in danger of being debilitated and in danger. Fight or Flight. He chose fight.

But they were okay with being seen kicking him and standing on his shoulders AFTER he was shot? Is that part of their training that kicked in? Their training says that they cannot shoot someone running away.

The taser WAS working when Brooks turned around and FIRED it at the officer. I think the point is it wouldn’t fire again.
Right - and they could have given chase. Shooting him in the back was unnecessary...if it's true about that taser. That piece of info changed my mind, because I believe a drunk, untrained guy with a functional taser is a danger and might need to be dealt with lethally. But the officer knew better, and if he didn't, he is still responsible for not knowing. This is not an okay mistake. IF it's true about the taser.

It's possible I may have overlooked it as I am working from home and the tv is in the background. I'll try googling it also

With regards to the kicking and standing on the shoulder, as far as I'm aware the DA only showed a single still of the alleged kick. Was it really a kick? Did Rolfe kick away the taser and hit Rayshard? Considering the...ummm... somewhat slanted nature of the DA presser, I'd really like to see the full footage before coming to any conclusions.

Wow what a load of crap. No wonder Howard didnt want to talk about his reelection. Hes up to his eyeballs with him being investigated on allegations of 6 figure fraud.

Talk about overcharging. Howard is trying to pile cheap hamburger meat skyhigh hoping a jury will think it's a fancy thick steak.

All this overcharging is to try, and make sure the violent masses don't spill out on the street with Atlanta left burning. Oh and for Howard to have a chance to be reelected. If reelected he will suppress his own criminal misdeeds alleged against him.

How Howard tried to make the suspect into an angel is typical blah, blah, blah. Just like Mike Brown was just a gentle giant. (Eyeroll) PH purposefully omitted all of the aggressive behaviors done by the suspect. Who started all of this confrontation????

One thing I admit is refreshing to see is the family"s attorneys are far more polished than Crump. Crump shows up like poison ivy when he thinks he can make millions for himself on someone else's pain.

The main thing all jurors must consider is what was in the mind of this police officer at the time all of this was unfolding. It's not about what any person would do or be thinking, but what was in the mind of a police officer at the time all of this was transpiring second by second with the situation constantly fluid, and changing due to the actions of the suspect.

Jmhoo

With regards to the kicking and standing on the shoulder, as far as I'm aware the DA only showed a single still of the alleged kick. Was it really a kick? Did Rolfe kick away the taser and hit Rayshard? Considering the...ummm... somewhat slanted nature of the DA presser, I'd really like to see the full footage before coming to any conclusions.
I think we need more information before we start concluding whether or not they were kicking him or the taser away.

I’ll add change that to call them a taxi and have them delivered to the mayor’s house and I don’t have a problem.
:D

I'm not sure what he and the first officer talked about for so long before the field sobriety test was administered, but my thought was that that was generous on the officer's part. It could be viewed that he gave the the man's BAC as much time as possible to lower.

There are many ways to get around Atlanta and avoid a DUI. But first, given that he told officers that he was on his way home from his 8yo (IIRC) daughter's birthday party, a friend or family member could have driven him home, if he'd asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob84999381