GUILTY GA - Rusty Sneiderman shot to death at Dunwoody preschool, 18 Nov 2010 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will die of shock if the jury comes back with anything but guilty.

Of course, after last July anything could happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That closing argument should be required watching for all law students intending to practice litigation. :rocker::rocker::rocker: JMO

I will die of shock if the jury comes back with anything but guilty.

Of course, after last July anything could happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree completely. Do you think the jury will get the case today or tomorrow? I'm guessing tomorrow....after he does the charge either in a few minutes or first thing in the a.m.

Wow wow wow! Thanks SO MUCH to those of you posting; great stuff! You really made it come alive.

This sounds like the most colorful closing argument I've heard. After reading your blow by blow comments, I really want to see a movie version.

It's just too bad that AS wasn't able to be in the courtroom during that closing by the State. That would have been AWESOME!

The Prosecution and the Defense must know something to call out AS in the murder of her husband.

I must say this closing argument by the DA is phenomenal!!!

The DT gave it there all but the closing argument from DA is what will resound with that Jury and the DA knows that!! He brought it back home to what this case is all about: Rusty!

:fence:

I had a salesman come see me at 2 o'clock, so I missed the whole last hour of closing!!!! I knew I should have cancelled that meeting!!! Sounds like I missed a great closing online, but I at least got to read the updates from all you WS'ers. Thank you!!!

Please don't let this be a replay of the Pinellas 12. I don't think I could take another verdict like that....

ACK~ !! My client just left, I missed it all! I'll scroll back through now....and I guess there are no VIDEO files of closing on line - but if anyone sees one (e.g. on youtube, let us all know as others are in my position too!) TIA

I thought it was interesting that in his closing arguments, the DA asked that the jury returne a verdict of guilty beyond a reasonable doubt or guilty but mentally insane. Even though he added after that, "I perfer you should return a guilty beyond reasonable doubt verdict,"(paraphrasing here) the DA appears to concede that HN could be off.

Thanks everyone for all the postings during the closing statements! Great blow by blows!

I thought it was interesting that in his closing arguments, the DA asked that the jury returne a verdict of guilty beyond a reasonable doubt or guilty but mentally insane. Even though he added after that, "I perfer you should return a guilty beyond reasonable doubt verdict,"(paraphrasing here) the DA appears to concede that HN could be off.

HN is off for sure, but not to a point where he is not criminally responsible. I guess it is a bit of a compromise

omg the judge just sent a secret note to the alternates... "if anyone calls you and does not give you that code, they are not calling on my behalf" This is surreal :floorlaugh:

Yes, it's an interesting thing in GA. (Not sure how many other states do this.)

The options are:

Not Guilty, which has been taken off the table since HN admitted the crime

Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity, which means that he never goes to jail, only treatment, and then when he's no longer dangerous gets to go on about his life. This is BAD b/c all of the state's people say he isn't mentally ill so would hardly be able to then argue to hold him. He'd probably be free the next day.

Guilty but Mentally Ill, which means he goes to jail but gets treatment for his mental illness while there. I could live with this since he would still have to serve out his sentence, but again, since the state says he's not mentally ill, all it would really do is be used as mitigation in sentencing.

Last option is Guilty. I'm with the DA - this is the only one that makes any sense.

I'm glad they have the GBMI option in case there are some lingering doubts about how messed up this guy is. But the closing really hit home on the malingering, so I don't really think the jury will go for it.

ETA: I didn't get to watch the jury charge, so I don't know if any of the punishment can factor into the jury's decision. I wonder how many of them understand these differences already.

Comcast channel 211 is just now starting to replay the closing statements for those of us who missed it!!!!!!!!! They have started at the beginning, so thinking they'll replay all of it.

Wow--that sounds wild! Thanks again to everyone for the updates. I wonder if anything they said would have changed if Andrea had been in the courtroom to hear it. So BOTH sides accused her?! Of more than just cheating?

Wow--that sounds wild! Thanks again to everyone for the updates. I wonder if anything they said would have changed if Andrea had been in the courtroom to hear it. So BOTH sides accused her?! Of more than just cheating?

Yes they did!

It would have been awesome for her to be in the courtroom. Her head would have spun around and she'd have had no chance of controlling herself.

It really sounds like they'll be charging her next, and are hoping that a guilty verdict might loosen Hemy's lips.

Wow..I didn't know guilty but mentally insane was even an option for this jury. What would his sentence be if they decide on that? :what:

ETA: Just saw the post upthread by angelmom. Thanks

Wow..I didn't know guilty but mentally insane was even an option for this jury. What would his sentence be if they decide on that? :what:

ETA: Just saw the post upthread by angelmom. Thanks

I didn't realize it was an option for this jury either until closing arguments. I knew it was a possibility in GA, though.

Here's the law:

http://law.onecle.com/georgia/17/17-7-131.html

(g)(1) Whenever a defendant is found guilty but mentally ill at the time of a felony or guilty but mentally retarded, or enters a plea to that effect that is accepted by the court, the court shall sentence him in the same manner as a defendant found guilty of the offense, except as otherwise provided in subsection (j) of this Code section.

Here's a good description of the difference between the two if they truly believe HN is mentally ill (which I do not anymore).

http://www.thejuryexpert.com/2009/1...n-of-insanity-ngri-an-annotated-bibliography/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teceemac