GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was pondering things earlier about TJ driving his jetski to the cove to see what the area looked like I know...….had he been able to gain access he could have just driven over and maybe walked down the empty lot...….of course that would have been trespassing even tho no home was there...…….my point...……...the killers must've came and went by boat...…..unless they were residents there, even so...…...too risky IMO by car, no one sees what goes on, on the water and boats aren't readily identifilike cars and they are further from the homes than a car on a road

I remember after the murders, I was sitting on my dock like 2 am and there were fishermen in a boat across the small river, made me think of the Dermonds…. there was a lot of movement by the apparent anglers and lots of flashlight movement all over the boat, I did use binoculars but could not tell what they were doing EXACTLY, I didn't however, see anything big go over the side of the boat...….lol, laughing because it was in front of homes so wouldn't be and I dont suspect they were tossing a body but you see them and think they are fishing just like someone saw this boat and never suspected a body was in it...…..

someone probably saw this boat or the lights from their home or when it was down by the dam, even passed it, but you cant tell much in the dark on the lake except see running lights coming at you or far ahead, maybe can tell if its a pontoon or bass boat and you cant see the colors of the boat or passengers on the boat when buzzing by at night, even when they pass 100ft or less in front of your dock at night...…….but a car may have been a different story and like I said, no one wanted their car seen in the driveway at the Dermonds.
Yes, her purse remained on the dock, and she was said to have been waiting for someone (family?) to pick her up (not sure if by boat or land); she was 'missing' for I think 7 hours before her body was found in only 7 feet of water. To me, that is just too weird after having lived there on the water, and the timing is so coincidental, imho. The possibilities for how this event could potentially be linked to the Dermond murders are many, and I hope they were all fully investigated.
I agree ..thats been discussed msny times from the day of her death......suspicious waiting for someone to pick her up by car but waiting on the dock with purse...so probably fully clothed...cant assume she knew how to swim but howd she get in the water in the first place....7 ft is at the ened of the dock on Sinclair side....just grab the cross beams.....i don't know what detectives are doing in all of this......too closely connected as yall found with church members and also with real estatimcompany......she didn't show the maples house probably cuz RE license was expired at the time...........idk....suspicious

Seems like it would be either 117 or 113 Westview Way that would've had a view (I'm thinking 117).. no sales history data on either of them?

I will go back and look for my post that included info (and pics) of a home on that street that was (or had been) for sale. I wasn't even sure that was the correct area. And, maybe it doesn't matter if a boat couldn't quietly move into that cove... But if no one was home to notice it... Then ?!!

ETA: I was looking at 105 Westview.

My post is on this page (I think!)

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ty-2-may-2014-11.339576/page-20#post-13564146

Last edited:
I will go back and look for my post that included info (and pics) of a home on that street that was (or had been) for sale. I wasn't even sure that was the correct area. And, maybe it doesn't matter if a boat couldn't quietly move into that cove... But if no one was home to notice it... Then ?!!

ETA: I was looking at 105 Westview.

My post is on this page (I think!)

GA - GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #11
In looking at the little map at the bottom of the page, it looks like 105 is down too far and doesn't have any water-frontage at all, and 109 seems down a bit too far too (imho), with only part of their property having water frontage. #117 might be up a bit too far, not sure. I'm thinking either 117 or 113.. doesn't seem like any sales history for those, I wonder if those homes have never sold since they were built.. and I wonder if those people had known the Ds after having lived right across from them for so many years.

This is the little map that shows at the link above, when you click on 'neighborhood 31024' - the one with the blue dock is the Ds' house; the pointy thing is the cove; the one with the yellow dot on the other side of the cove is 105 Westview Way (with no water frontage at all); the one that says $577K is 109 Westview way (has only part of their lot with water frontage); the one that says $785K is 113 Westview Way; and the big one that says 2 units, is 117 Westview Way.
Screenshot:
westview lots vs dermond lot.jpg

This is the little map that shows at the link above, when you click on 'neighborhood 31024' - the one with the blue dock is the Ds' house; the pointy thing is the cove; the one with the yellow dot on the other side of the cove is 105 Westview Way (with no water frontage at all); the one that says $577K is 109 Westview way (has only part of their lot with water frontage); the one that says $785K is 113 Westview Way; and the big one that says 2 units, is 117 Westview Way.
Screenshot:
View attachment 200186

Thank you!!

In pics 4, 5 and 6 (100 Westview) I saw
the walkway to the water but it's another cove - it's not the one shared by the Dermonds. The map and info really helped clarify!

Looks like it may have been any of these 4 homes which could have potentially seen someone in the Ds' yard (front or back?). I took the link from dancinunderthemoon's post and marked the house #s and circled the D property.
I'm not sure which of the properties TJtennispro is referring to when he posted a pic of the home on the other side of the cove which he believes would have had a view. (Will have to see if we can see a water-side view of the home which matches TJ's pic?)
From the other (2nd link below) link of dancin's, you can see that #100 Westview Way fronts onto the water from the opposite direction. I think that one is too far away for sure to have seen anything, imho.
THis one.......
Google Maps

And was that hidden old dock deeper in the cove, the only other dock?

Looked like they could get past teh Dermonds dock though, did YOU?

You know they could have used the Maples dock if they knew she was out of town

WHO would know that?

Also, a small flat bottom boat would be hell going 5 miles down the river, back and forth, with a body in it

I dont know what they used but I can still see a pontoon being used, easier to hide the body

but if you want to look like a real night fisherman, I'd say a fishing boat of any style, those you cant hide a body behind as easily.....like the wall on the deck of the pontoon though

If the cove is so tight as you say, I guess a pontoon would be way more conspicuous, if taken in there

Unless they used the neighbors boat dock and walked over

Maybe that was the "man on the lawn"???

Yeah from here, looks more like a ditch back in there LOL Google Maps

Is it even fishing worthy? I mean if someone was seen down there would they be very suspicious of them trying to fish there?

Is there tree cover, can you get a jon boat in there and hide?

DId they park at the Maples DOck?

Unless all the cove and Carolyn drive neighbors also attended the same church and she and The Dermonds, would they knew she was even gone?

Well still.........it was.dark no one saw a thing

OH MY did the killers KNOW THE HABITS Of the other cove neighbors like they knew Maples was out of the country?

THat would surely imply they knew the area VERY WELL if so

Grrrrr
westview lots vs dermond lot2.jpg

Last edited:
I was pondering things earlier about TJ driving his jetski to the cove to see what the area looked like I know...….had he been able to gain access he could have just driven over and maybe walked down the empty lot...….of course that would have been trespassing even tho no home was there...…….my point...……...the killers must've came and went by boat...…..unless they were residents there, even so...…...too risky IMO by car, no one sees what goes on, on the water and boats aren't readily identifilike cars and they are further from the homes than a car on a road

I remember after the murders, I was sitting on my dock like 2 am and there were fishermen in a boat across the small river, made me think of the Dermonds…. there was a lot of movement by the apparent anglers and lots of flashlight movement all over the boat, I did use binoculars but could not tell what they were doing EXACTLY, I didn't however, see anything big go over the side of the boat...….lol, laughing because it was in front of homes so wouldn't be and I dont suspect they were tossing a body but you see them and think they are fishing just like someone saw this boat and never suspected a body was in it...…..

someone probably saw this boat or the lights from their home or when it was down by the dam, even passed it, but you cant tell much in the dark on the lake except see running lights coming at you or far ahead, maybe can tell if its a pontoon or bass boat and you cant see the colors of the boat or passengers on the boat when buzzing by at night, even when they pass 100ft or less in front of your dock at night...…….but a car may have been a different story and like I said, no one wanted their car seen in the driveway at the Dermonds.

I agree ..thats been discussed msny times from the day of her death......suspicious waiting for someone to pick her up by car but waiting on the dock with purse...so probably fully clothed...cant assume she knew how to swim but howd she get in the water in the first place....7 ft is at the ened of the dock on Sinclair side....just grab the cross beams.....i don't know what detectives are doing in all of this......too closely connected as yall found with church members and also with real estatimcompany......she didn't show the maples house probably cuz RE license was expired at the time...........idk....suspicious
Rambling middle-of-the-night thoughts...

Good point about a boat in the night not being identifiable, at least to any detailed extent.

It also might explain why one body was taken and the other not taken (not enough space in the boat?)..

But it seems like (imho) if they arrived by boat, there would be absolutely zero question that this was a planned and targeted murder.. but if planned, then how did they miss thinking about two bodies not fitting into their boat?

And because one body doesn't fit, they then decide to behead it instead and just take the head with them?

Makes me wonder if this targeted event was only planned for ONE of them, and possibly the second victim was not supposed to have been there at all, but ended up becoming collateral damage?

It seems like SD was pretty low key and benign, and seems unlikely she would have been the 'target'.. so if we go on this 'theory' as suggested above, the target would've likely been RD (son BD found it worthy of mentioning to media following his dad's death, that RD had been a strict disciplinarian (funny thing to mention when the man has been brutally murdered? Why not focus on his finer attributes instead of bringing old grievances to the surface for all to see??), so perhaps RD wasn't such an easy-going guy? And perhaps someone had a serious beef with him?).

I can't imagine that a beheading would be an afterthought.. I mean, who would just suddenly think of such a thing on the spur of the moment, just because two bodies wouldn't fit in a boat, and then in addition, have the guts to actually carry it out, and not only carry it out, but with some kind of precision which suggests it wasn't a rushed job? I'm thinking the beheading must have been the plan to begin with, while the removal of SD was the afterthought.

If I follow along with this 'theory'.. what would have happened if RD *had* been alone in the home, instead of both of them?

If this had happened while SD was not home, she would've come home to wonder where RD was, finding his clothes still there, but no sign of RD.. how long would it have taken her to venture out to the garage to find him? Would she have called police, friends, her kids, if she couldn't find him, and how long would that have taken for her to do so? Would someone else have found him, or would she have gone down those garage steps (she couldn't do stairs apparently?), checked the garage all the way around the cars, or would she have just looked from the house-garage-doorway to see that both vehicles were still there, and been none the wiser? Or would she have gone outside to use the auto-garage-door-opener to open the overhead door from the outside and found him right there? To whose horror were the perps hoping would be first to find that headless body, and why?

I wonder if SD had made any plans for that time period, to be out of the house somewhere, perhaps with someone, and if so, who knew about it ahead of time, and did those plans end up falling through at last minute? Why was she dressed and ready to roll, while RD was still in bathrobe?

It doesn't seem like this was a 'crime of passion' where someone got in a tiff with RD and completely lost it, because there was no mess, and the beheading was apparently done fairly neatly. It doesn't seem like this was a random 'thrill-kill', because there was no mess at all, steps were taken to hide the blood and postpone the body being found and nothing taken.

Was it a hired killing? If hired to kill and behead RD, but both people were killed instead, did the hit-person still get paid, or get into trouble for not following the plan, or get paid double for doing both?

I would like to know if both Wills were the same, if the one spouse survived the other. ie if SD died first, she may have left her estate to her husband, or may have distributed her estate equally amongst FOUR people (instead of 3); if RD died first, he may have taken care of SD first and then donated the rest to charity, or distributed it equally amongst the THREE surviving children with only a small amount to the fourth child's offspring. I wonder this because of obits I have seen online, wherein it suggests to me the family was firm about RD having passed away FIRST. Most times when a couple dies together and it is too difficult to tell which one died first, with 100% certainty, it is simply said that they passed together, but not this one. Just because RD's body was discovered first, doesn't mean he was first to die.

Starting at 9 minutes left in the podcast SS gives a vague description about the man on the lawn. He doesn’t say across the cove like I thought but that’s what I’ve heard from people that live here.

Also in my opinion he is about to say “he has been told it was more than 2 people” before catching himself. Take a relisten and see what y’all catch.

The Lake Oconee Murders : Part 2 — Sworn — Overcast

Looks like it may have been any of these 4 homes which could have potentially seen someone in the Ds' yard (front or back?). I took the link from dancinunderthemoon's post and marked the house #s and circled the D property.
I'm not sure which of the properties TJtennispro is referring to when he posted a pic of the home on the other side of the cove which he believes would have had a view. (Will have to see if we can see a water-side view of the home which matches TJ's pic?)
From the other (2nd link below) link of dancin's, you can see that #100 Westview Way fronts onto the water from the opposite direction. I think that one is too far away for sure to have seen anything, imho.

View attachment 200239

View attachment 200239
I dont think that dock is too far away to see the yard........i could see people on lawns across the river from us, probalby 500-7-- ft if on the dock of course, to many trees on my lot if I was inside, you never see much of anything except loud boats going by

Where is that VIDEO of SS and the reporters on the boat viewing the D's house, I presumed they were right near that dock when they filmed it

Starting at 9 minutes left in the podcast SS gives a vague description about the man on the lawn. He doesn’t say across the cove like I thought but that’s what I’ve heard from people that live here.

Also in my opinion he is about to say “he has been told it was more than 2 people” before catching himself. Take a relisten and see what y’all catch.

The Lake Oconee Murders : Part 2 — Sworn — Overcast
"Professional killer will come in your house with a .22 or .22 magnum and shoot you in the "bleep" head and leave. THey're not gonna cut your damn head off. There's more than one person here, you see what I'm saying? There's more than this, there's more than, there's more, I, I,I'v b.. Ive been, I think there's more than two people"

I guess, hmm, like SS said, jeesh, found myself thinking it ....."it's what we dont know that's important"
Going inside to get the towels......seemed like an afterthought
If theyd come prepared to do that, they'd have had tarps instead
BUT, they left blood everywhere in the garage

I guess we dont know if something spooked them maybe.........if someone was bitten or shot

My thoughts were that if they took the whole body and dumped him in the lake too, if they surfaced, the dna is still there inside the mouth possibly? (or bullet in head)

Thinking of that, makes me think they DID want her to surface, as Ive wondered from the beginning.........if they wanted her found, they dont want him found with dna in his mouth.......and I dont know what water does if found within 10 days like SD was, certainly any dna or evidence on the clothing or skin was washed away but what about inside the mouth or something on or in the skull, IDK

THere was no need to take him if they had to behead him due to dna or other evidence on his skull and afterwards, cant move him, too much blood to move him

ALso an identifiable bullet also could have still been lodged and that could NOT be discovered by LE

SOMETHING made them cut his head off, SOMETHING did and the towels make me think it wasnt planned

Piling towels under his torso to stop the flow, it all seemed as if something happened that was not planned and it had to be done in their minds and then the blood was everywhere, oh no!

I dont think the morning of the Derby party that either would have been out and about, probably resting and getting ready for the event, errands taken care of thursday and or friday, home preparing a dish or whatever......and they WERE almost 90..........I think, MOO, that whoever did this, KNEW they'd be home together.

I also think they were VERY comfortable in that home, due to the time spent there, going in the house, boating on the lake, they knew the D's well

Like SS says, they had no enemies, nothing sinister in their lives or accts.......implying no one would want to kill them, very simple lives........I agree, I dont think it was some crime of passion sts, I would say some crazy stranger did this but they wouldnt hang around so long Id think and it was clearly 2 or more people involved, one to boat, 2 to restrain and I agree and have said, there would have been a mess

No mess except the garage, this had to be planned, who wanted it done and who did it may be separate people all together, and the one hiring this out problaby didnt want him beheaded, but due to some unforeseen circumstances, they did

From reports SD was an early riser, she was dressed in casual day clothes, RD was known to lounge in his robe if he had no plans for the day

MOre than likely and typically, the remaining spouse receives, not the family, except for minor things or momentos

SS didnt mention anything unusual about the will, not that he WOULD but he's still perplexed by the whol ething, I would hope he had their wills and if he saw a red flag, he would be investigating family now......I see what you are saying though.......I feel, FEEL like, which means nothing really LOL, but that their wills were pretty simple, each spouse received after the first one passed.......Remember RD DID start the franchises for the kids so I dont think he'd stiff them in the end

I do think that if one lived, the other one would need all the money for a nursing home, family would have had to deal with her becasue she would have been a basket case Im sure.....OMG .......Ive posted this time and gain......... KD SAID........basically......... it was just as well mom died too, she wouldnt have wanted to live without RD

Good point about a boat in the night not being identifiable, at least to any detailed extent.

It also might explain why one body was taken and the other not taken (not enough space in the boat?)..

But it seems like (imho) if they arrived by boat, there would be absolutely zero question that this was a planned and targeted murder.. but if planned, then how did they miss thinking about two bodies not fitting into their boat?

And because one body doesn't fit, they then decide to behead it instead and just take the head with them?

Makes me wonder if this targeted event was only planned for ONE of them, and possibly the second victim was not supposed to have been there at all, but ended up becoming collateral damage?

It seems like SD was pretty low key and benign, and seems unlikely she would have been the 'target'.. so if we go on this 'theory' as suggested above, the target would've likely been RD (son BD found it worthy of mentioning to media following his dad's death, that RD had been a strict disciplinarian (funny thing to mention when the man has been brutally murdered? Why not focus on his finer attributes instead of bringing old grievances to the surface for all to see??), so perhaps RD wasn't such an easy-going guy? And perhaps someone had a serious beef with him?).

I can't imagine that a beheading would be an afterthought.. I mean, who would just suddenly think of such a thing on the spur of the moment, just because two bodies wouldn't fit in a boat, and then in addition, have the guts to actually carry it out, and not only carry it out, but with some kind of precision which suggests it wasn't a rushed job? I'm thinking the beheading must have been the plan to begin with, while the removal of SD was the afterthought.

If I follow along with this 'theory'.. what would have happened if RD *had* been alone in the home, instead of both of them?

If this had happened while SD was not home, she would've come home to wonder where RD was, finding his clothes still there, but no sign of RD.. how long would it have taken her to venture out to the garage to find him? Would she have called police, friends, her kids, if she couldn't find him, and how long would that have taken for her to do so? Would someone else have found him, or would she have gone down those garage steps (she couldn't do stairs apparently?), checked the garage all the way around the cars, or would she have just looked from the house-garage-doorway to see that both vehicles were still there, and been none the wiser? Or would she have gone outside to use the auto-garage-door-opener to open the overhead door from the outside and found him right there? To whose horror were the perps hoping would be first to find that headless body, and why?

I wonder if SD had made any plans for that time period, to be out of the house somewhere, perhaps with someone, and if so, who knew about it ahead of time, and did those plans end up falling through at last minute? Why was she dressed and ready to roll, while RD was still in bathrobe?

It doesn't seem like this was a 'crime of passion' where someone got in a tiff with RD and completely lost it, because there was no mess, and the beheading was apparently done fairly neatly. It doesn't seem like this was a random 'thrill-kill', because there was no mess at all, steps were taken to hide the blood and postpone the body being found and nothing taken.

Was it a hired killing? If hired to kill and behead RD, but both people were killed instead, did the hit-person still get paid, or get into trouble for not following the plan, or get paid double for doing both?

I would like to know if both Wills were the same, if the one spouse survived the other. ie if SD died first, she may have left her estate to her husband, or may have distributed her estate equally amongst FOUR people (instead of 3); if RD died first, he may have taken care of SD first and then donated the rest to charity, or distributed it equally amongst the THREE surviving children with only a small amount to the fourth child's offspring. I wonder this because of obits I have seen online, wherein it suggests to me the family was firm about RD having passed away FIRST. Most times when a couple dies together and it is too difficult to tell which one died first, with 100% certainty, it is simply said that they passed together, but not this one. Just because RD's body was discovered first, doesn't mean he was first to die.

Screenshot:
View attachment 200186
From the tax assessors site

the dock is only 215 feet from the D's dock, to the middle of the yard is 300 ft and to the house itself is 350 ft

assuming they were on the dock.........that was broad daylight, these people were VERY COMFORTABLE at this place, they KNEW no one would see or suspect anything

qPublic.net - Putnam County, GA

IF..............IF............anyone saw anything..............IF there was a man on the lawn

THis is an article from May 2015..........one year later, someone FIANLLY said they Saw a man on the lawn of the D's .YET, YET theyd interviewed hundreds! Did this person not know to come forward or hear about this murder before a year!? yet they remember it was on saturday afternoon?

OK Im not buying it still
Read this:

EATONTON, Ga. — Investigators in the year-old murder of an elderly Georgia couple would like to learn more about a man spotted on the lawn of the murder victims, the sheriff investigating the case said Tuesday.

"I consider (him) a suspect myself," said Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills. "But that's all I'll say about it. We had a witness that saw him out there."

Sills would not elaborate, nor would he provide a description of the man.

----------------------

WHY would a Sheriff so desperate to solve this case, TELL US "THAT'S ALLLL he is gonna say about that" in regards to a man on the lawn you want identified??!..........WHAT?! LOL

SORRY........this had to be a decoy in hopes someone would get scared and nark/narc on another........HAD to be

nothing about this makes sense except that SS was so desparate to try anything (and he's said he'd lie if thats what it takes to solve this case} in hopes to get someone talking

I know I know, LE keeps details to themselves, but this isnt something I'd think they'd keep secret if you consider him a suspect

I'd forgotten how this was all worded..........

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...gia-elderly-couple-slain-year-later/70875900/

All good thoughts, I like your logical thinking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtKnee
Back