GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks for the pics TJ and the assessment of the cove

I think the murders happened in the garage due to the home having so many windows, if anyone walked up or if someone got away and ran out lakeside, theyd be seen plus, the mess in the house, if anyone showed up after the murders, they definitely could have seen that a murder had occurred...too much furniture and rugs and things in the way, ..

no windows in garage, i can feel the privacy just thinking about being in there

still think the goal was to get that 48 hr window of opportunity to escape.....

Yeah from here, looks more like a ditch back in there LOL Google Maps

Is it even fishing worthy? I mean if someone was seen down there would they be very suspicious of them trying to fish there?

Is there tree cover, can you get a jon boat in there and hide?

DId they park at the Maples DOck?

Unless all the cove and Carolyn drive neighbors also attended the same church and she and The Dermonds, would they knew she was even gone?

Well still.........it was.dark no one saw a thing

OH MY did the killers KNOW THE HABITS Of the other cove neighbors like they knew Maples was out of the country?

THat would surely imply they knew the area VERY WELL if so

Grrrrr

I must have missed something. Who is Maples? A next door neighbor?
Maples is the next door neighbor, well, there is an empty lot owned my REM MIke Mills, Ms Maples is the only close neighbor to the Dermonds, rather closest, she was in Asia during the time of the murders and was a widow, her husband and Mr D often played golf.......he died a few years before the murders. DGeurtni can expound, I dont recall the year he passed away

Last edited:
They were so secluded and had such a huge home. It would have been much safer for them to be in a small home in a 55 and over community. People watch out for one another in these places and management on a small home is so much easier. I would have been afraid living in that seclusion at their age. There are some beautiful Big, homes in some of these communities too if they wanted that and it's just so much safer.

I'll have to go back TJ and look at the map of houses in that cove but if I remember correctly there's one at the mouth coming in and there's two more in the cove... is this one first ,second or third

Thanks

This picture is of the only house with lake access in the cove across from the Dermonds. Now while another house may be back in the cove they don’t have a dock and it not what I would consider on the lake.

This house is opposite of the Dermonds or at least direct line of sight. Opposite is not completely accurate since houses face in different directions.

I would find it suspicious if I lived at one of those houses and saw someone fishing. To be honest that cove feels like entering a private driveway in which you know you don’t have business being back there.

I was exploring and filming back in the cove for maybe 6 minutes when all of a sudden a pontoon boat owned by the people across the cove came barreling not abiding wake zone rules. They waved since I was with my wife but I left and came back 15 minutes later and filmed these pictures with my phone.

My suspicion was that these were the neighbors who saw the man on the lawn. I wanted to see if they came outside to investigate why I was back but they didn’t.

That to me made me feel my intuition was correct and that these were the neighbors that reported a man on the lawn since they weren’t seen by the perps.

Their house has tons of windows with lots of natural light so if anyone saw anything it was them. My IMO. Also SS said on Sworn the lady was across the cove.

Yeah from here, looks more like a ditch back in there LOL Google Maps

Is it even fishing worthy? I mean if someone was seen down there would they be very suspicious of them trying to fish there?

Is there tree cover, can you get a jon boat in there and hide?

DId they park at the Maples DOck?

Unless all the cove and Carolyn drive neighbors also attended the same church and she and The Dermonds, would they knew she was even gone?

Well still.........it was.dark no one saw a thing

OH MY did the killers KNOW THE HABITS Of the other cove neighbors like they knew Maples was out of the country?

THat would surely imply they knew the area VERY WELL if so

Grrrrr

Maples is the next door neighbor, well, there is an empty lot owned my REM MIke Mills, Ms Maples is the only close neighbor to the Dermonds, rather closest, she was in Asia during the time of the murders and was a widow, her husband and Mr D often played golf.......he died a few years before the murders. DGeurtni can expound, I dont recall the year he passed away
They were *large* lots, with Ds being the last one on the road, with the empty (REM) lot between the Ds and the 'Maples' home before that.. so a large span of land and presumably trees between those two last homes on that road.. but Mrs. M was in 'Asia' at the time of the murders.

Interestingly, the neighbor's home was for sale at the time of the murders - so really any realtor may have shown her home to virtually anyone while she was away, and at such time the Ds home may have been noticed. (Have to assume that SS would have obtained any such realty records and investigated any agents and their clients?? I also wonder if this neighbor had any video security, and if so, I assume and hope that SS would have obtained any footage from the time?)

Even more interesting that a realtor (50 year old Vicki Lynn Stephens) who was registered with the very same office which had the neighbor's realty listing (Coldwell Banker Lake Oconee), ended up oddly drowned at her Eatonton home where she lived with her boyfriend/husband(?) over on the other side of the dam in Lake Sinclair - only 2 days after RD's body was discovered (and 1 day after the neighbor's return from her Asian trip). The realtor was not 'active' in real estate at the time (her license had lapsed for non-payment of renewal fees on April 30, 2014). The coroner ruled her drowning as 'accidental', after being investigated by none other than the Putnam County Sheriff's Office.

Most links are gone now, but there are these:
Autopsy shows woman drowned in Lake Sinclair

In a youtube video from the time when the Ds' neighbor's home was for sale, it gives a bit of coverage showing the immediate area. I have to agree that the person who witnessed 'the man in the Ds' yard' had to have been the neighbor across the cove as they were the only ones with a view of any kind. Also it is apparent how narrow the cove is between the two properties, and it's hard to imagine anyone being in there. I would think it would be terribly risky to venture into that area with a boat without a thought to being seen.
This is a screenshot from the real estate video; in it you see the large home listed for sale (it had been for sale for years, finally selling in 2018 I believe), with the lot between, and then the Ds' home, their dock, the narrow cove and the neighbor on the other side of the cove:
overhead pic of 143 and 147 carolyn from youtube.jpg
Screen-shot from 2:36 in this youtube video:

Gotcha.... that last one is probably facing the other Street
This picture is of the only house with lake access in the cove across from the Dermonds. Now while another house may be back in the cove they don’t have a dock and it not what I would consider on the lake.

This house is opposite of the Dermonds or at least direct line of sight. Opposite is not completely accurate since houses face in different directions.

I would find it suspicious if I lived at one of those houses and saw someone fishing. To be honest that cove feels like entering a private driveway in which you know you don’t have business being back there.

I was exploring and filming back in the cove for maybe 6 minutes when all of a sudden a pontoon boat owned by the people across the cove came barreling not abiding wake zone rules. They waved since I was with my wife but I left and came back 15 minutes later and filmed these pictures with my phone.

My suspicion was that these were the neighbors who saw the man on the lawn. I wanted to see if they came outside to investigate why I was back but they didn’t.

That to me made me feel my intuition was correct and that these were the neighbors that reported a man on the lawn since they weren’t seen by the perps.

Their house has tons of windows with lots of natural light so if anyone saw anything it was them. My IMO. Also SS said on Sworn the lady was across the cove.
Yes after also looking on maps it looks more likes a ditch...... funny those on the Cove just waved as if they're never had been a murder across from them lol

I have viewed all of the videos and I've seen that dock jutting out as you enter the cove and they dermans dock area and it always seemed like they had to be the ones unless it was someone next door viewing the home or working in the yard at the maples residence

I did not recall that sheriff seals said Across The Cove I remember he spoke about through the trees

Thanks

They were so secluded and had such a huge home. It would have been much safer for them to be in a small home in a 55 and over community. People watch out for one another in these places and management on a small home is so much easier. I would have been afraid living in that seclusion at their age. There are some beautiful Big, homes in some of these communities too if they wanted that and it's just so much safer.
I think that community is probably pretty safe, with gated entry. However unlike many others the Lake did defeat the security of the gates.

I think they were targeted and this would have happened wherever they lived.

good find.....Her things on the dock...…..wonder was she in a bathing suit or fully clothed? I thought I remembered also that her children or someone was coming to pick her up and she was waiting on the dock, that's why it seemed so suspicious to me...what "THINGS" were on the dock, I thought her wallet was on the dock…….did she not know how to swim?? Was she intoxicated?

ugh, so many questions on this one still
They were *large* lots, with Ds being the last one on the road, with the empty (REM) lot between the Ds and the 'Maples' home before that.. so a large span of land and presumably trees between those two last homes on that road.. but Mrs. M was in 'Asia' at the time of the murders.

Interestingly, the neighbor's home was for sale at the time of the murders - so really any realtor may have shown her home to virtually anyone while she was away, and at such time the Ds home may have been noticed. (Have to assume that SS would have obtained any such realty records and investigated any agents and their clients?? I also wonder if this neighbor had any video security, and if so, I assume and hope that SS would have obtained any footage from the time?)

Even more interesting that a realtor (50 year old Vicki Lynn Stephens) who was registered with the very same office which had the neighbor's realty listing (Coldwell Banker Lake Oconee), ended up oddly drowned at her Eatonton home where she lived with her boyfriend/husband(?) over on the other side of the dam in Lake Sinclair - only 2 days after RD's body was discovered (and 1 day after the neighbor's return from her Asian trip). The realtor was not 'active' in real estate at the time (her license had lapsed for non-payment of renewal fees on April 30, 2014). The coroner ruled her drowning as 'accidental', after being investigated by none other than the Putnam County Sheriff's Office.

Most links are gone now, but there are these:
Autopsy shows woman drowned in Lake Sinclair

good find.....Her things on the dock...…..wonder was she in a bathing suit or fully clothed? I thought I remembered also that her children or someone was coming to pick her up and she was waiting on the dock, that's why it seemed so suspicious to me...what "THINGS" were on the dock, I thought her wallet was on the dock…….did she not know how to swim?? Was she intoxicated?

ugh, so many questions on this one still
Yes, her purse remained on the dock, and she was said to have been waiting for someone (family?) to pick her up (not sure if by boat or land); she was 'missing' for I think 7 hours before her body was found in only 7 feet of water. To me, that is just too weird after having lived there on the water, and the timing is so coincidental, imho. The possibilities for how this event could potentially be linked to the Dermond murders are many, and I hope they were all fully investigated.

After watching the real estate video linked above... I'm wondering if homes
on Westview Way back up to the cove shared by the Dermonds. I posted about that street long ago but I could have been looking at the wrong area entirely.

After watching the real estate video linked above... I'm wondering if homes
on Westview Way back up to the cove shared by the Dermonds. I posted about that street long ago but I could have been looking at the wrong area entirely.
I wasn't sure how to even start navigating how to get to those neighboring homes on the other side of the 'cove'.. can you please post a googlemaps link to Westview Way? TIA!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back