GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IF it all happened at their residence, possibly the killer/s brought along everything needed.

Also, I'd think a larger cutting instrument was likely used -- but yes, hopefully the ME will be able to get some clues there.

Not sure, but I think it was the sheriff, who commented on how immaculate the house was. To me that made it sound like there wasn't anything disturbed inside the house and not much evidence in the garage either. Where in the world is Shirley?? That poor woman! If she were in the lake she might never be found. How deep is that huge lake?

Not sure, but I think it was the sheriff, who commented on how immaculate the house was. To me that made it sound like there wasn't anything disturbed inside the house and not much evidence in the garage either. Where in the world is Shirley?? That poor woman! If she were in the lake she might never be found. How deep is that huge lake?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Oconee

95ft at the dam. I read that the water at the boat dock was 13 ft.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Just my guess but since LE has said it happened sometime Friday or Saturday, I would lean towards late Friday night or early Saturday morning before daylight. He/they had to remove Shirley and get her in a car or more likely a boat where he/they disposed of her body. Did the murderer need proof Russell was dead and so...I just can't bring myself to type it.

I really hope LE has -- and I'm sure they must have -- searched any attic, basement, crawlspace, etc. on the property and also any outbuildings in the neighborhood that might be easily and quickly accessible to an intruder. Not only for Russell's missing remains but also for Shirley. I really hope she was not kept alive at first for some reason and then left tied up somewhere or something like that -- it's been so long!

That's pretty deep! Why leave one body and take another?

You know, if the attack on Russell did NOT happen at the house -- it could be that the couple was grabbed somewhere else. Shirley (living or dead) may not have ever been taken to the residence, but maybe they took Russell there for some reason -- what though?? -- and he cooperated (maybe to save Shirley, if she was alive when he last saw her), then they killed him.

I don't know. Any scenario that comes to mind is just pure awful. Their advanced age just makes it more so. Why, why, why?

You know, if the attack on Russell did NOT happen at the house -- it could be that the couple was grabbed somewhere else. Shirley (living or dead) may not have ever been taken to the residence, but maybe they took Russell there for some reason -- what though?? -- and he cooperated (maybe to save Shirley, if she was alive when he last saw her), then they killed him.

I don't know. Any scenario that comes to mind is just pure awful. Their advanced age just makes it more so. Why, why, why?

They were to go to a Kentucky Derby party on Saturday. They could have been out Friday night to pick up food, etc. to take to the party. But weren't their cars at home? There should be some sort of evidence in the cars then. Why such evil?

"Accessing the Dermonds' home is difficult enough. Visitors entering Reynolds Plantation have to get by security guards who must receive verbal confirmation from residents before allowing anyone inside."

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20140508/NEWS/140509736?p=2&tc=pg

This sounds like at two guards are there 24/7.
At the minimum 1.
Still we know that it's possible that a car got in,
late at night, dozing guard?

"It makes you wonder: Is there someone in this (community) who could've done this,” neighbor Lillian Butterworth told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution"

"Accessing the Dermonds' home is difficult enough. Visitors entering Reynolds Plantation have to get by security guards who must receive verbal confirmation from residents before allowing anyone inside."

This sounds like at two guards are there 24/7.
At the minimum 1.
Still we know that it's possible that a car got in,
late at night, dozing guard?

"It makes you wonder: Is there someone in this (community) who could've done this,” neighbor Lillian Butterworth told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution"

Also, one or both Dermonds could have been in one of their cars, accompanied by someone bad who, unbeknownst to the guard, had a gun in someone's side -- or with, say, Shirley left at another location under the threat of being killed.

ETA: But surely the guard on duty would remember the approximate time and the circumstances under which one or both Dermonds last entered in their own vehicle...

ETA again: What a terrible headline on the article at that link!! Eye-grabbing, yes -- but kinda insensitive

Also, one or both Dermonds could have been in one of their cars, accompanied by someone bad who, unbeknownst to the guard, had a gun in someone's side -- or with, say, Shirley left at another location under the threat of being killed.

Very true! At the very least we are to believe no one drove to the neighborhood to visit them. -per the guards.

“The perpetrator could have come in by boat,” Sills said. “They could have come in by … helicopter.”

Helicopter?? Is he just saying they have no idea?

I think that is pretty much what he intended to convey, anyhow.

At one point in the presser he said something like, "They could have come in from land. They could have come in from the water. They could have come in from...outer space!"

“The perpetrator could have come in by boat,” Sills said. “They could have come in by … helicopter.”

Helicopter?? Is he just saying they have no idea?

I think helicopter is a stretch.
Who knows! Does the neighborhood have a heli pad?
Sure sounds to me like the perp came and left by boat.
This person knew the area. He knew the lake at the very least and this family probably knew and trusted him.
It's perplexing.
Praying this poor woman is not harmed- but she was married 68 years! I pray wherever she is she is happy and not in pain.
I hope the horrible person that chose to destroy this couple return them so the family can give them a proper burial..

I think helicopter is a stretch.
Who knows! Does the neighborhood have a heli pad?
Sure sounds to me like the perp came and left by boat.
This person knew the area. He knew the lake at the very least and this family probably knew and trusted him.
It's perplexing.
Praying this poor woman is not harmed- but she was married 68 years! I pray wherever she is she is happy and not in pain.
I hope the horrible person that chose to destroy this couple return them so the family can give them a proper burial..

BBM

Ok, wow! They do have a helicopter pad!
http://lakeoconee.yourkwoffice.com/...dian-Summer-Path-A302/3yd-GAMLS-07211505.html

Adding: I guess you just need a large concrete slab with a circle painted on it?

I really hope LE has -- and I'm sure they must have -- searched any attic, basement, crawlspace, etc. on the property and also any outbuildings in the neighborhood that might be easily and quickly accessible to an intruder. Not only for Russell's missing remains but also for Shirley. I really hope she was not kept alive at first for some reason and then left tied up somewhere or something like that -- it's been so long!

Any abandon houses? I hope they looked up in the trees also.

I wonder during his frequent walks he saw something he shouldn"t have.

I had a horrible thought last night, the killer is keeping her until mothers day.

Thinking about why kill an elderly couple. I'm assuming the female is also deceased though I realize that's quite premature. I mean in a year one or both could die just from being old.

How reasonable is it that the perp(s) were actually after an 87 yr old & and 88 yr old? And for what?

- money? (no sign of theft)
- something in a will?
- revenge from a company they owned?
- revenge for some other reason?

Or for revenge because of someone else's actions in their family?

- some kind of debt owed (seems like a stretch but ...)?
- revenge over something one of their kids did?
- some kind of family vendetta?

Or just a totally random crime by a crazed killer or killers? (doesn't seem random but who knows)

good morning sweetlings------am catching up

Annie1004---your post at 248---I am thinking a pro. hit also--the beheading combined with abduction....OMG-have the cars been searched? Trunks, floors, gps, hangtags, tollreaders???

It's a weird feeling to be torn between thinking:

- That there are some sick and twisted examples of humanity, and;
- That an apparently lovely elderly couple must've been involved in something unsavoury to have this happen

I think this place has warped my mind a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VikkiB73