GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Everyone!

Imo, the police are certainly dealing with a sociopath or sociopaths because they do seem to group up together at times. Anyone capable of decapitating someone is way beyond even the normal murderer. if there is such a thing as a normal or typical murderer in today's time. In so many cases it is no longer just about shooting them or stabbing them, its about torture, and depravity thrown in the mix now.

(snipped for space)
I am beginning to think this is the work of a sociopath who wanted to murder someone and cut their head off for the thrill of it. I have a feeling whomever it is ......is watching all the press this case is gathering. They are enjoying all the attention it is receiving.

JMO

Another thought on a mentally ill individual doing this. Was Mrs. Dermond the target? Maybe somebody was fixated on her and the intent was her abduction. Mr. Dermond might have just gotten in the way. The decapitation happened because the perp was really angry at his interference. Taking the head as a trophy. (I hate typing that.)

"Dermond’s head was not found, so it remains a mystery whether he was shot, stabbed or suffered some other form of blunt trauma."

It could just be a trophy.
It also sounds like it might have been taken to try and prevent a cause of death from being found.
They may have his head, but they left his spine behind and the ME must have found evidence in the cerebrospinal fluid that Mr. Dermond died of a traumatic head injury prior to being decapitated.
That or they found proof of a skull fracture somehow.
Moo
http://www.macon.com/2014/05/09/3089222/autopsy-sheds-little-light-on.html
Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Please forgive the gruesomness of this but has anyone else ever heard the idea/theory that when a person dies the image of the killer/last one to see them alive is imprinted on their eyes?? I had read that somewhere--its of course not scientific just and bit of folk lore or superstition. It may give the mindset of the killer/s.

and---what would two elderly people HAVE, KNOW or WITNESS???????????

HC, hugs sweetie! Totally speculation, but! He was a business owner. There's always the possibility of a disgruntled partner. I'm grasping at straws like you guys. :(

EDITED to correct *owner*.

I am starting to think that Mr. Dermond was beaten about the head badly and what followed was not the original plan.
Maybe someone came around asking for money or a loan?
I really think he was shot and the perp knew the bullet would be traced to his weapon.
I don't think this person had a plan past that and took his wife because he had to figure out what to do with her since she had seen him.
I also think it was someone who reached the house via the lake.
Maybe a neighbor or fellow boater.
He's probably right there in plain sight.
Moo

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Another thought on a mentally ill individual doing this. Was Mrs. Dermond the target? Maybe somebody was fixated on her and the intent was her abduction. Mr. Dermond might have just gotten in the way. The decapitation happened because the perp was really angry at his interference. Taking the head as a trophy. (I hate typing that.)

I really think the perp or perps have done this crime the way it was carried out all for shock value and seeking the attention of the national media. It is like one thrill killer(s) is trying to trump the previous thrill killer imo.

It seems the perp or perpetrators never entered the inside of their home.

This tends to make me think they knew their fingerprints-hair-fiber could be traced back to them. I think if found they will be the type that watches a lot of CSI shows and may even read true crime books or books about serial killers.

If it was a set of teen thrill killers or just one, with an intelligent leader, as it often is the case, then if they had never been inside the Dermonds home before, they would know coming into the home could lead police to them if they left a trace of themselves behind.

More and more I am believing it is someone living right inside that community. Like a well to do teen of a well to do family living there and maybe some of his hanging buddies. Someone who may be addicted to drugs and may have had prior arrests due to drugs or underage alcohol use.

Maybe someone like Scott Dyleski when he went up to Pamela Vitale's home to bludgeon her 39 times to murder her just because he wanted to know how it felt to murder someone he really didn't even know. Most thrill killers carry out their murders in a very heinous ways.

This would explain the heinous nature of the beheading because thrill killers have been known to behead their victims before. Or at least it seems plausible to me anyway, and much more likely than a payback revenge killing or one done by a family member of the Dermonds.

Imo, the killer knew if he/they took the head and Mrs. Dermond this case would get massive attention. I think we are looking at possibly someone who may have a small group of friends but is more of a loner and misfit. Spoiled perhaps by their influential parents.

Just speculating of course..........

It's a weird feeling to be torn between thinking:

- That there are some sick and twisted examples of humanity, and;
- That an apparently lovely elderly couple must've been involved in something unsavoury to have this happen

I think this place has warped my mind a little.

This forum has been my salvation. I love the mods, and I love the members. I had unlimited support during my brother, and SIL's murder trial. Also, this place has made me MORE aware of my surroundings. I don't know what I would do without you guys.....

You know, if the attack on Russell did NOT happen at the house -- it could be that the couple was grabbed somewhere else. Shirley (living or dead) may not have ever been taken to the residence, but maybe they took Russell there for some reason -- what though?? -- and he cooperated (maybe to save Shirley, if she was alive when he last saw her), then they killed him.

I don't know. Any scenario that comes to mind is just pure awful. Their advanced age just makes it more so. Why, why, why?

I read up thread Shirley's purse and cell phone was in the house. Sounds like she was home. Jmo

ciao

My take on the trauma to the head is that he was shot. The casings were taken, and the head was taken because the bullet was lodged, but ballistics may make the bullet traceable.

I don't know what else to think at this point, because some sicko taking his head for the heck of it is just too much to accept right now.

By the way, I had not thought of the murder not occurring *in* the home. Sounds like the perp is someone known to the family and/or LE. Fibers, hairs, etc, are harder to find outside than inside. Since his body was in the garage, it may be that he was killed outside. It was important to the perp not to leave any evidence, so the head was taken with either blood/fibers left on his head from a brutal attack, or to get the bullet away from the crime scene.

My bet is there is more than one perp. And someone took care of him while a 2nd person went inside and nabbed her. I think it is for money. Either insurance money, or a safe hidden somewhere that a former employee knows about. And they are counting on Shirley to get cash for them. I know that accounts are untouched, but this reminds me so much of the Billings case in Florida.

So either someone is after insurance money, knows (or thinks they know) of money hidden, or it was a mistaken hit.

I just can't imagine what Shirley is going through, if she is still alive. :no:

smoooooochers to ya Tulessa-----I hear ya hon-grasping at straws and just keeping the conversation going--I know we have alot of guests that are reading the thread and some may be neighbors of SHirley and Russell---- maybe something will jog their memories. And Lord knows if chatter keeps the thread open, I will keep typing.

smoooooochers to ya Tulessa-----I hear ya hon-grasping at straws and just keeping the conversation going--I know we have alot of guests that are reading the thread and some may be neighbors of SHirley and Russell---- maybe something will jog their memories. And Lord knows if chatter keeps the thread open, I will keep typing.

< AKA chatterBox! :floorlaugh:

By the way, I had not thought of the murder not occurring *in* the home. Sounds like the perp is someone known to the family and/or LE. Fibers, hairs, etc, are harder to find outside than inside. Since his body was in the garage, it may be that he was killed outside. It was important to the perp not to leave any evidence, so the head was taken with either blood/fibers left on his head from a brutal attack, or to get the bullet away from the crime scene.

My bet is there is more than one perp. And someone took care of him while a 2nd person went inside and nabbed her. I think it is for money. Either insurance money, or a safe hidden somewhere that a former employee knows about. And they are counting on Shirley to get cash for them. I know that accounts are untouched, but this reminds me so much of the Billings case in Florida.

So either someone is after insurance money, knows (or thinks they know) of money hidden, or it was a mistaken hit.

I just can't imagine what Shirley is going through, if she is still alive. :no:

I tend to discount the motive for insurance money. Mr. and Mrs. Dermond's children are wealthy themselves and would have no need to kill their parents for insurance money or other assets. I imagine they all live in homes even more costly than their parents.

From what I can gather Mr. Dermond owned around 21 Wendy stores before he retired years ago and when he retired the boys are now the owners of the stores. His daughter probably has vested interest in the stores as well and may be one of the board of directors along with his sons.

I honestly don't see a motive whatsoever for any of the family members to be involved.

If they had anything to do with it they would just hire a hit man. A hit man doesn't cut heads off nor do they take heads with them. They just shoot the target execution style in the head and leave them there. They also don't take live targets with them either.

I thought at first it may have been someone they had hired to do odd jobs and they had fired them but I no longer think that way. Nor do I think this is about thinking money or a safe was there some place.

If that were the case the home would have been entered and ransacked and it wasn't. It was in pristine condition. If it was someone who was inside the home regularly there would be no need to do the crime in the garage. Whoever this is had never been inside the home before and that is why they did it in the garage. They knew if anything of them was found there it wouldn't be normal for it to be there.

This leads me to believe this is a thrill seeking killer or killers.

IMO

"home invasion".....hhmmmmmmm.......I think its highly possible the perp/s were known to Shirley and Russell---had alot of privacy for these actions.

I'm really scared this will go unsolved. In that case everyone suffers. Sills seems like the type that this will bother for the rest of his days if he can't solve this...and the poor kids...not to mention all the neighbors who will live in fear after this.

Wednesday, April 30 there were unusually strong winds up to 50mph in this general area of Georgia. I lost huge trees, I'm less than one hour away from the lake. Does anyone know if these winds hit Lake Oconee? What I am inferring is: were strangers coming to the house for any reason.

I think this started out as a home invasion burglary, something went wrong and it quickly turned to murder. The killers (more than one) did every thing possible to cover their tracks. I think Mrs. D was killed within a short time after being abducted.

I don't think it has anything to do with any members of the Dermond family, any mafia hit, or a ransom for Mrs. D.

Somebody knows about this and should report to law enforcement immediately. I would highly suspect that people (other than the ones who were on the Dermond property) know about this murder!!!

Wednesday, April 30 there were unusually strong winds up to 50mph in this general area of Georgia. I lost huge trees, I'm less than one hour away from the lake. Does anyone know if these winds hit Lake Oconee? What I am inferring is: were strangers coming to the house for any reason.

I think this started out as a home invasion burglary, something went wrong and it quickly turned to murder. The killers (more than one) did every thing possible to cover their tracks. I think Mrs. D was killed within a short time after being abducted.

I don't think it has anything to do with any members of the Dermond family, any mafia hit, or a ransom for Mrs. D.

Somebody knows about this and should report to law enforcement immediately. I would highly suspect that people (other than the ones who were on the Dermond property) know about this murder!!!

It is a little odd that the article called this a home invasion when there is no evidence of that and even the Sheriff has said so. Probably just another journalist that writes before they really vet their story based on what has actually been released by LE. The media has become so unreliable with all the misinformation they put out and never retract the errors either. NG is prime example and so is JVM and most other news outlets today.

If they are thrill seeking killers or even only one (as I believe)........they do tend to talk to others about what they have done. So hopefully if they confided or bragged to anyone about what they have done that person will have enough decency to come forward and report it to LE.

IMO

Good Morning everyone...well, it's morning here for me.
I enjoyed reading everyone's posts and I hope more details are learned today.
The more time passes though, I worry about Shirley...... They murdered her husband,
what is standing in the way of murdering her, too?
What did they gain by taking Shirley?
IMOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members