GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently there were no injuries to his body & he was already dead when decapitated. http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/FBI-Asked-to-help-in-search-for-missing-Ga-woman-258463991.html

"Baffled, Stymied, Stumped" have all been used in headlines or descriptions of this case.... I'll say!!!!

WHY kill this couple who seemed to be happily living out their golden years?

WHY take the head? If you just killed someone, wouldn't you just want to get the he!! out of Dodge ASAP?

WHY take Mrs Dermond? That had to slow "them" down. My first thought was to use her to withdraw money, but that didn't happen. The killing was sooner than we first thought & there has been no report of money or anything else unaccounted for.

I know some neighbors & as to be expected people are freaked out. It is, or was, a safe, quiet, very low crime community. Even though this is an affluent area & many homes have security systems, when the Dermonds built the home, they were likely of the mindset it was a quiet, safe area. Builders haven't always pushed the security options. Even if their home was equipped, they may have only used it when traveling. I think the majority of Georgians are not overly concerned (at least in smaller towns.) However, as mentioned before, outsiders have access to gated neighborhoods. And waterfront property opens another opportunity to access. Random crimes occur more frequently in higher-traffic places. The Law of Averages is more people around, the better chances some are bad. I think the Dermond's house was at the end of a cul-de-sac so they would have had little to no "traffic." I understand their sense of security. Who woulda thunk it?

My suspicions change hourly. Right now, I am leaning toward a nearby nutjob who
for some reason became fixated on them & did a thrill killing. Business retaliation seems unlikely after so many years of retirement. The kids appear financially successful & at almost 90, how much longer could the wait be for inheritance from the parent's estate? Why chance their own futures to grab the money a few years sooner? The son's murder was a long time ago & why would anyone connected to the accused/convicted go after the old folks? But, even a nutjob would need to explain the "whys"... not that violent crimes should make sense to regular people.

Sorry for the rambling thoughts, but at this point, who has more? And by the way, you just gotta like Sheriff Stills.

I'm really scared this will go unsolved. In that case everyone suffers. Sills seems like the type that this will bother for the rest of his days if he can't solve this...and the poor kids...not to mention all the neighbors who will live in fear after this.

He sure does seem to be stumped.

He cant get tunnel vision. He needs to be looking at others who may be the least suspected. I think the answer to this crime is right there in that community.

I hope he doesn't give those who live there more of a benefit of the doubt just because they are all wealthy people living there. Wealthy people, especially some family members can, and have known to do some gosh awful crimes just like this.

I hope this case doesn't suffer because of affluenza in the neighborhood where it happened.

Imo, it is a known fact that those who are known as affluent are handled differently than any Joe Schmoe.

I sure hope he isn't worried about stepping on anyone's toes in that community. He is elected as we all know. He just cant lose sight and must try to solve this case no matter how influential the suspect or suspects family may turnout to be.

IMO

I hope they are questioning all of the neighbors.I can just picture another older couple who has a son that has mental issues that is known to the victims.

Have they had K-9's going door to door in the neighborhood?

I hope they are questioning all of the neighbors.I can just picture another older couple who has a son that has mental issues that is known to the victims.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/russell-dermond/74/720/301

The linked in for Russell does mention that he is retired at
Stathas Life Development Center, Eatonton, Georgia
Mental Health Care.

Perhaps someone from his past had an issue with him?
IMOO.

To 37 guests currently reading ... sign up & be ready in case you decide to join the discussion. You'll be anonymous. At some point, we were right where you are now- curious & looking for more info. Most topics are researched & discussed; this murder case is different. We have very little but speculation, but be assured, any developments will be posted immediately. Members are constantly searching & will be quick to share.

There are discussions you cannot see unless you are signed in. We are welcoming to newcomers. It's free & easy, all you need is a nickname & WS keeps your email address confidential.

This isn't just a retirement community. There are all sorts of families living there from younger families to the retired elderly. Many young families build homes on Lake Oconee. It is a prime area to raise a family.

I don't think someone has to be mentally ill to do something like this. I do believe they are sociopaths though, but that doesn't rise to the level of being mentally insane by judicial standards. There are a lot of thrill killers on death row who are sociopaths. It just means the killer or killers have no remorse or conscience when they commit horrendous murders, and decapitations like in this case. They know right from wrong but they just don't care.

The other influential thrill killer teens I posted about earlier this morning weren't mentally insane. They were just evil psychopaths without consciences. They hid their victim's body in one place and put his head in a bucket and put that some place else. The main killer, who had a high IQ, was given LWOP, iirc.

Actually most psychopaths/sociopaths don't ever murder anyone. They are often highly successful professionally/career wise though because they have no remorse about who's toes they have to step on to get to the top.

IMO

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/russell-dermond/74/720/301

The linked in for Russell does mention that he is retired at
Stathas Life Development Center, Eatonton, Georgia
Mental Health Care.

Perhaps someone from his past had an issue with him?
IMOO.

I haven't read that he was ever a therapist. He probably just had vested interest in Stathas' company. Often times therapist have backers on the money end when opening their practice. He probably was on the Board of Directors...etc.

All I see is one therapist and that is Dr. Stathas himself.

Dr. John J Stathas

Marriage & Family Therapist , PhD , LMFT

Welcome! My practice is devoted to counseling people who may have some of the following concerns: anxiety and depression states, frustrating relationships, pre marriage counseling, divorce adjustment/mediation, teenage transitions, addictive issues, anger management, career concerns, and aging. I connect quickly with you the client, offering empathy and competence, while making maximal progress in optimal time. Your time and money must be successfully spent! I have been happily married to my wife, Sherry, for thirty two years. We have two wonderful children, Kris and Brittany, both of whom are successful in their respective marriage and career. Let's get together!

I write educational columns for two newspapers. I encourage you to visit my web site at drstathas.googlepages.com to read them and get a sense of my philosophy and practice. Recently I have added a professional blog:drstathas.com. Please visit.

I have been in practice for over thirty years. I am still passionate about my profession and the opportunity to assist people with their challenges. While the therapy process may not always feel good the outcome success does. I seek to earn your trust, addressing you and your issues with respect, empathy, and competence.

Call or Email Dr. John Stathas for a free phone consultation now - (770) 450-5791
Qualifications
Years in Practice: 20+ Years
School: Georgia State University
Year Graduated: 1975
License No. and State: MFT000273

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_detail.php?profid=60906&zipcode=30901&zipdist=75

Mr. Dermond may have backed him after his son was murdered. Maybe they went to him trying to cope with the loss of their son.

I understand it doesn't say therapist.
My point being it states Mental Health Care.
so maybe someone there had an issue with him?
IMOO.

I looked at the son's linkedin and noticed he went to college in Phoenix, Arizona. I also saw a mention of Mark (the murdered son) having attended high school in the same area. I'm wondering if anyone has checked his criminal history in that state? His rap sheet in Georgia is really long, beginning in his mid 30s. Surely, one doesn't become a hardened criminal overnight. And with all the press, I have yet to hear a mention of the family having lived in AZ.

It seems relatively strange for a family to have amassed such a large amount of businesses (Wendy's, chic-Fila, sunrise foods llc, first watch, and many others between the father and sons) yet no mention of Russell's early career?

Another strikingly odd detail- Russell's finger. What sort of old injury could be so gruesome that the officers thought he was being tortured before being killed?

The fact that LE is looking into a mob connection makes me think they have more information than they are letting on. Is it not possible the son was killed while in witness protection and the drug murder story is just a cover up? That would explain the strange mug shot on his record?!

My gut instinct impression of this crime is that this was originally planned out as a robbery that went really, really bad. This would be far from the first crime where greedy criminals tried to extort money from an older wealthy couple.

1) a couple of thugs cruise in by boat late at night to avoid detection and security.

2) They demand money, and a whole lot of it from this wealthy retired couple.

3) The gentleman kindly tells these thugs that they can go F ** k themselves--they aren't going to get a damn thing.

4) In a rage, one of the perps pulls out a gun and shoots him in the head.

5)In a rare moment of clarity, one of the perps realize how stupid it is to leave a bullet in the skull that can be traced back to them. Out comes the machete. Of course this action could have also been done to terrorize the woman into cooperating with them.

6) The elderly woman is tied and gagged and hustled out to the boat that the men arrived in.

7) Still thinking they can extort money from this woman, they take her to god-knows-where and hold her in order to carry out the scheme. It may turn out that she actually went into a bank and withdrew thousands of dollars before anyone realized she was missing. It may even be plausible that they could try and demand a ransom from her family.............don't count it out yet. The cops are not revealing these details.

Many times cops will withhold important details of a crime, details which, if the public were made aware of them, might aid in apprehending the criminals. Why do the cops withhold important information like this ?? Nobody knows !! ......maybe they just like having little secrets amongst themselves. Maybe it has something to do with big egos.

The scenario shown above is just my theory.....we'll see how it plays out.

The reported lack of evidence or clues in this case so far by LE make me think this murder/abduction was too well planned to be a thrill kill or even a robbery gone bad. At this point, LE isn't even sure if the garage was the original crime scene for the murder of Mr. Dermonds. Of course, LE may be bluffing about what they know in order to throw the killer(s) off about their investigation. Like many have already said, I think Mr Dermond's head was taken to hide evidence. Maybe Mrs. Dermond was taken to hide evidence too. For example, if both the Dermonds were shot, maybe Mrs. Dermonds was shot in the chest, making retrieval of the bullet more complicated so they chose to dispose of her body elsewhere. (horrible thought) But, if a gun was used, wouldn't there be some evidence of gun fire residual in the garage? And, in such a quiet, rural neighborhood, wouldn't gunshots be heard by someone? IDK I'm just thinking out loud because obviously there are no answers until we have more information. I hope they find Mrs Dermond safe.

Are they still performing ground and lake searches? It's only been a week and there's a lot of search area to cover. I don't see anything in the news about a search command center like we've seen in other cases of missing people but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Maybe this weekend?

Another strikingly odd detail- Russell's finger. What sort of old injury could be so gruesome that the officers thought he was being tortured before being killed?

The fact that LE is looking into a mob connection makes me think they have more information than they are letting on. Is it not possible the son was killed while in witness protection and the drug murder story is just a cover up? That would explain the strange mug shot on his record?!
Respectfully snipped by me.

My guess on the finger was that he lost one in some sort of accident many years ago. When authorities arrived, they may have wondered if the killer(s) cut off his finger during torture. Although, that doesn't make much sense if the wound is closed. I would assume there was something to make them think it was a new/fresh wound. I could be way off, though. MOO:)

Where did you see that LE is considering a mob connection? I don't recall seeing that in any MSM articles. Could you post a link?

ETA:
Nevermind! I found a reference.

Due to the condition of her husband’s body, the FBI has checked for any sign of organized crime, Sills said. They’ve combed through phone records and financial records.

http://www.macon.com/2014/05/08/3087453/decapitation-unlikely-cause-of.html

I have wondered if the deceased son might have been working in some undercover capacity -- one with long-reaching ramifications -- at the time he was killed? I doubt it -- but, even if so, why would "revenge" come down to THIS atrocity against his parents, so many years later?

Also -- y'all don't think this might be "aimed" at Sheriff Sills, do you -- in relation to this:

...Sills, a charismatic lawman known for his wit and bloodhound’s nose for tracking down bad guys, spearheaded the case that brought down Nuwaubian cult leader Dwight “Malachi” York, who was convicted of racketeering and child molestation charges....

Just kind of beating the bushes here, trying to scare out anything, any explanation.

My gut instinct impression of this crime is that this was originally planned out as a robbery that went really, really bad. This would be far from the first crime where greedy criminals tried to extort money from an older wealthy couple.

1) a couple of thugs cruise in by boat late at night to avoid detection and security.

2) They demand money, and a whole lot of it from this wealthy retired couple.

3) The gentleman kindly tells these thugs that they can go F ** k themselves--they aren't going to get a damn thing.

4) In a rage, one of the perps pulls out a gun and shoots him in the head.

5)In a rare moment of clarity, one of the perps realize how stupid it is to leave a bullet in the skull that can be traced back to them. Out comes the machete. Of course this action could have also been done to terrorize the woman into cooperating with them.

6) The elderly woman is tied and gagged and hustled out to the boat that the men arrived in.

7) Still thinking they can extort money from this woman, they take her to god-knows-where and hold her in order to carry out the scheme. It may turn out that she actually went into a bank and withdrew thousands of dollars before anyone realized she was missing. It may even be plausible that they could try and demand a ransom from her family.............don't count it out yet. The cops are not revealing these details.

Many times cops will withhold important details of a crime, details which, if the public were made aware of them, might aid in apprehending the criminals. Why do the cops withhold important information like this ?? Nobody knows !! ......maybe they just like having little secrets amongst themselves. Maybe it has something to do with big egos.

The scenario shown above is just my theory.....we'll see how it plays out.

I agree wholeheartedly with you up until #7. I think this was done at night and Mrs. D was taken somewhere out on the lake and dumped, dead or alive.

I looked at the son's linkedin and noticed he went to college in Phoenix, Arizona. I also saw a mention of Mark (the murdered son) having attended high school in the same area. I'm wondering if anyone has checked his criminal history in that state? His rap sheet in Georgia is really long, beginning in his mid 30s. Surely, one doesn't become a hardened criminal overnight. And with all the press, I have yet to hear a mention of the family having lived in AZ.

It seems relatively strange for a family to have amassed such a large amount of businesses (Wendy's, chic-Fila, sunrise foods llc, first watch, and many others between the father and sons) yet no mention of Russell's early career?

:welcome4:

Welcome to Websleuths, Bethanthony!

The reported lack of evidence or clues in this case so far by LE make me think this murder/abduction was too well planned to be a thrill kill or even a robbery gone bad. At this point, LE isn't even sure if the garage was the original crime scene for the murder of Mr. Dermonds. Of course, LE may be bluffing about what they know in order to throw the killer(s) off about their investigation. Like many have already said, I think Mr Dermond's head was taken to hide evidence. Maybe Mrs. Dermond was taken to hide evidence too. For example, if both the Dermonds were shot, maybe Mrs. Dermonds was shot in the chest, making retrieval of the bullet more complicated so they chose to dispose of her body elsewhere. (horrible thought) But, if a gun was used, wouldn't there be some evidence of gun fire residual in the garage? And, in such a quiet, rural neighborhood, wouldn't gunshots be heard by someone? IDK I'm just thinking out loud because obviously there are no answers until we have more information. I hope they find Mrs Dermond safe.

Are they still performing ground and lake searches? It's only been a week and there's a lot of search area to cover. I don't see anything in the news about a search command center like we've seen in other cases of missing people but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Maybe this weekend?

If you check the street addresses on the Putnam County Tax Assessor website, there are quite a few empty lots around their house. Looks like their closest neighbor is a widow several lots down the street. I don't think I would hear a gun shot several houses up from me if my house were closed up for the night, especially if I were asleep.

Could the finger injury have been from when e was in the Navy?
"But it wasn’t until Thursday, though, that Sills confirmed the dead man’s identification after matching fingerprints with records from Russell Dermond’s Navy enlistment in the early 1940s."
Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Could the finger injury have been from when e was in the Navy?
"But it wasn’t until Thursday, though, that Sills confirmed the dead man’s identification after matching fingerprints with records from Russell Dermond’s Navy enlistment in the early 1940s."
Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I'd think it could be -- could be from a number of things.

I do wonder why they thought it might be newly done, as someone was pondering. Maybe they could tell a part of the finger was missing, or whatever, and there was blood (from elsewhere) on his hand -- guess they wouldn't disturb much to check at the scene, but wait for medical examiner to inspect. (Of course, the adult children were able to confirm it was an old injury before M.E.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MISSINGPERSONSMYSTERIES